153 East 45th Street
New York, NY 10017Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.genteny.com/
- Phone: 2125575555
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30pm - 3:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Friday: 3:30pm - 10:00pm, Saturday: 3:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Jay B. Mitchell
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Delivery, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: "Buffet alla Milanese" - Our buffet includes three daily chef-selected pastas, three chef selected salads(specials and menu items included), an assortment of fine desserts and our homemade breads. Please contact us for pricing.
- Private Party Facilities: Please inquire for Bridal and Baby Showers, Rehearsal Dinners, Specially Designed Birthday Dinners and Holiday Parties.
- Private Party Contact: Jay B. Mitchell 2125575555x
A word from Gente
Gente Ristorante Italiano offers a touch of Milan in New York City on 45th Street. We serve authentic Italian food. Our soups are freshly made daily using all vegetarian ingredients. We serve Panini, Pasta, Pizza, and Salads that are all natural. Our Gelato, Sorbetto, and Dolce are flown in from Milan. We have an array of specials everyday. Second courses, such as chicken and tuna, are available for dinner and delivery. Take-out from Gente is available as well. Our unique space is perfect for private parties, client presentations, or product introductions. Gente also has a fully licensed bar with a wide selection of alcohol from Grey Goose to Jack Daniels.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Gente reviews from OpenTable diners
67 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (26)great for lunch (20)good for groups (13)fit for foodies (11)special occasion (6)kid-friendly (6)romantic (6)notable wine list (2)hot spot (1)vibrant bar scene (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- SherylVIPDined on 9/2/2014Restaurant is sleek, with interesting pictures on the walls. Menu suggested passion involved in choosing and preparing the dishes, but the flavors were flat. Arugula salad with white beans was ok; black & white pasta was a bit soggy/overcooked - and the 'shrimp' turned out to be just 3 medium sized shrimp artfully placed around the pasta. Disappointing. Stuffed chicken with spinach/mushrooms was a much better choice.
- Very poor food, don't goOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/28/2014The worst restaurant I have even to in NYC. The pasta sauce tasted like from a jar and the Kobe meatballs for sure were not made from Kobe beef and they were really dry. The sea bass is a piece of frozen fish that had been frozen probably since couple of years ago and the price was way too high for the poor quality of food. I'm amazed that this place can stay open.
- That was not my first time at GenteMonaLisaDined on 8/26/2014I went back again because the service is very satisfactory. The staff attend well to customers. I will go back again and also recommend this place to friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing and Over pricedStJohnDined on 8/21/2014This place is extremely over priced for a mediocre meal at best. I had the mushroom ravioli--5 pieces on the plate, more like an appetizer portion. It was $22. The bill for 2 was $112.00 I left hungry and I am a small person. This is NOT a nice high end NY restaurant where you expect high prices. This place is a rip off sorry to say.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/15/2014Service was very good; food was good. We really liked the restaurant. Not too noisy. But busy for a Friday night.Special Features:
- Overall OKOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/15/2014Food is ok but I wouldn't go back. We had the Cesar salad, lasagne & spaghetti with seafood.
- Nice pre-fixJennlVIPDined on 8/2/2014Met a pal here for dinner. They have a nice pre-fix with app, entree and dessert for $40. Because of location, their prices are a bit higher than you might expect, but the pre-fix is a solid deal and worth going for I think. I'd visit again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinner before a showNancyDined on 7/19/2014My husband and I received a gift of dinner at Gente and we both enjoyed the food and excellent service, which was professional and fast. The bread was also delicious. Nice place. We would eat there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- unexpectedly a great timeconwje01Dined on 7/14/2014I made reservations here for my friends birthday and we had such a great time. The drinks were absolutely delicious and kept coming. The prices are very reasonable too - I should have opted for the prix fixe as that looked to be an even better dealml.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent find in Midtown EastOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 7/12/2014We arrived early on a Saturday evening and were the only customers...wondered what was up with that or whether we Midwesterners were just too early for the Manhattan dinner crowd. But more started coming in and I'm sure like us they weren't disappointed. The food was very good and the service just attentive enough. For someone trying to find a nice place east of Grand Central that isn't too pricey, this would be a good choice.Special Features:
- Excellent dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/27/2014We all enjoyed our meals very much. Had a hard time getting water refills but everything else was goodSpecial Features:
- Undistinguished foodrichardDined on 6/27/2014Two of us had sea bass, which was fresh and tasty, but the fillet was semi-drowned in a sauce. Vegetables not overlooked, but eh. Shrimp dish mediocre. Wines rather expensive for their quality.
- Food was delicious and..RJK26VIPDined on 6/26/2014I had made a note that we would be celebrating my daughter's birthday and after dinner all of the waiter's came over to sing Happy Birthday and gave us a complimentary piece of yummy cheesecake. We would definitely go back again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Night!luv2dineDined on 6/21/2014We were looking for a place last minute and were lucky to find Gente. We had 5 adults and 2 kids. The restaurant is small but the food was excellent and the waitstaff was exceptional. They were attentive without hovering and doted on our two girls even as my 6 year old spilled her drink within minutes of them bringing it to the table. Complimentary scoops of ice cream for the kids at dessert sealed the deal. We would definitely go back here.Special Features:
- Excellent FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/19/2014Very good. Authentic. Staff are quite accommodating. Enjoy it very much.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HeatherDined on 6/12/2014Food was good but lunch portions (particularly the salads) were quite small. Would definitely order the "full" instead of the "half" next time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food, Great atmosphereRMN505Dined on 5/29/2014Friendly atmosphere, the food was excellent you could pick from the menu or from the pre-fixed. We choose the pre-fixed because we liked what was offered. With the pre-fix your wine was $8 a glass. The waiters were friendly and we were not rushed, we had theater tickets and had decided to head away from the theater district. There was an office get-together at the bar and it appeared they were having a great time. I would defiantly go there to just have drinks. It was not a very big bar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- quick, tasty lunch!SneakersDined on 5/27/2014Friendly staff, quick service. Extensive menu to suit most appetites.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 405 reviews are from the Gente reviews archive.
- OutstandingJayJayDined on 5/21/2014Wonderfully authentic Italian food am Nd great service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious Food!skylajaneDined on 5/16/2014Hubby had the Risotto and he reported it was the best he could remember. I had the chicken stuffed with spinach, also a great dish. We ended with a perfect serving of Tiramisu. Our waiter was attentive but not hovering. The ambience would have been perfect if not for a very noisy diner at the next table, but we did like the darkness and candle lit dining. All in all, an excellent choice for dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Frozen is betterDouiVIPDined on 5/13/2014The food is incredibly mediocre. All the red sauces taste the same and drown the gummy, soggy pasta, and any other dish that it covers.
- Just Solid ItalianfoodloverVIPDined on 5/13/2014the owner has been to Italy over 50 times and each time he goes he brings back another dish that is made exactly the way you would have it in Italy...food is fresh, service great and if you like risotto (I am a risotto freak) I think that Gente makes one of the best in NY...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Business Lunch PlaceEatenAtAllKindsofPlacesDined on 5/7/2014Nice variety of food from salad, to pizza to normal appetizers and entrees. The food is good and service very good.Special Features:
- ample menu selectionsNYfoodieDined on 5/2/2014I am always looking for a nice place with good service and a good selection of food. I found Gente to be just that. I ordered the chicken Risotto and it was delicious. Portions are not large, which would be my only complaint, but food is goodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fresh and unique Italian foodMistermikeDined on 4/29/2014Delicious homemade soups, sauteed baby artichokes, fresh pasta and fish. Good prix fixe menu at lunch, great location near Grand Central Terminal. They also do delivery to midtown offices and residences. Highly recommended!Special Features:
- Food was very goodGoodFood24VIPDined on 4/23/2014I really enjoyed the food at Gente. The service was good and the prices were reasonable. I have gone several times and have not been disappointed yet.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 4/18/2014Great if you want to spent the whole evening there. No one will rush you out.Special Features:
- glad I had a reservationBlacklug2013VIPDined on 4/12/2014The place was busy on Saturday night so I'm glad I made reservations. The waiter was very helpful ordering. Doing the price fix was a great valueSpecial Features:
- GreatOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/10/2014It was a great restraunt...great food and great service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good timeWarrenVIPDined on 3/22/2014We had a lovely meal and the service was perfect. It was a quite night so the noise level was low. We could not have picked a better place to have a good meal,nice wine and great service.Special Features:
- Gente is a wonderful reastaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/17/2014Gente is a wonderful reastaurant with amazing food and a staff that caters to your every wish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food!!!!Lise1978Dined on 3/4/2014This is my second time dining at Gente and the food was just great. My husband had the tuna and it was cooked perfectly. I had the chicken & spinach risotto and I it was cooked perfectly and delicious. They have a nice wine list and the atmosphere is nice and quiet which was perfect for out date night. The servers were very attentive which made the night very relaxing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent dining experienceMaritaDined on 2/6/2014I went to Gente with 6 colleagues for a birthday celebration and we were very pleased with the level of service and quality of food we received, especially considering it was from a pre-fixe lunch menu. The poritions were very generous and the food was absolutely delicious. I will defintely recommend this place to everyone and come back whenever I can.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really good Italian foodNanaVIPDined on 1/31/2014Gente is a gem of a place. They have pretty great Italian food and the decor is very Tuscany inspired, with the pictures on the walls and the color palettes. The waiters took a bit long to bring us our checks but the amazing Shrimp tagliolini made up for it. I can't wait to go back!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My favorite midtown spotDaneNYDined on 1/28/2014Great for business lunches and weekend evening dining. Nick and the team are fabulous.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food...but loud.JagsVIPDined on 1/28/2014Food selection and quality was fantastic. Only problem would be that it is a bit cramped (but classic NyC style) and a bit loud - not horrible though. It gets busy because it is well known - not a bad thing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very disappointingessjaebeeVIPDined on 1/14/2014I made my reservation for six people at 6pm on December 6th (I have the email confirmation) They contacted me on the afternoon of the dinner to tell me that my party would have to leave by 7:30pm as there was a private party. There was NO excuse for them not to have contacted me earlier than the day of the reserve. I would have absolutely moved the location if they had given me any notice. The private party guests started arriving around 7pm, standing around and looking at us. I considered the evening ruined, noisy, and rushed, Two of my party were stuck late at work, one made it in time for a glass of wine, the other had to cancel all together. In all fairness I will say the food was good. I will never return to this restaurant.
- Great Lunch SpotMG12Dined on 1/9/2014Perfect spot for a casual lunch meeting. Good service, good food, nice, simple environment. I recommend!Special Features:
- While the menu is standardaj260Dined on 12/18/2013While the menu is standard issue italian, the food was well prepared and the service was execllent. The east midtown lication makes it convenietn for business lunches. I'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mediocre Food Excellent ServicemalofroDined on 12/18/2013This is one example of a restaurant where the food does not live up to the service. The wait staff was friendly, efficient and the food appeared faster than any restaurant I can remember. But the food, Classic Italian-American , was a disappointment . The lasagna was watery and appeared on the plate as a flat mess. The ravioli with spinach and cheese was covered in a sauce that tasted like a bottled brand. And there were only four in the plate. The risotto with chicken was the only dish enjoyed by our guest.i also thought the prices were high for this quality. Beware how much the desserts will add. The staff, however were gourmet!I would recommend this to a friend.