Gennaro's Little Italy
1280 Sam Rittenberg Blvd
Charleston, SC 29407Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
Gennaro's Little Italy
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.gennarositalian.com/
- Phone: 8432257923
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 10:30pm
Closed Sundays & Mondays
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Michael and Robert Gennaro
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Large room off the side of main dining room
- Private Party Contact: Michael Gennaro 8432257923
A word from Gennaro's Little Italy
Gennaro's originally opened in 1982 on Savanah Hwy by brothers Mike and Robert Gennaro and Mike's wife Linda. They eventually moved to Dorchester Rd and have been there for the last 22 yrs. Mike and Linda's sons, Jimmy and Michael, have grown up in the restaurants have become chefs as well. So the family, along with Robert's wife, Angie, decided to re-open in West Ashley again last August, 2012. Gennaro's still continues our old family recipes and continue to create new ones. We want everyone to feel like they are at home when they are at Gennaros! And as we always say " There's always a Gennaro in the kitchen"Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Gennaro's Little Italy reviews from OpenTable diners
11 reviews since May 24, 2014
- Ambiance3.6Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (9)fit for foodies (3)good for groups (3)special occasion (2)kid-friendly (2)hot spot (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Good Neighborhood restaurantTABBDined on 9/6/2014Nice, neighborhood Italian restaurant. We will be back.Special Features:
- Loveeeeeeeeeeeeeee itFoodFanaticVIPDined on 8/8/2014Couldn't find a better place for Italian food. Eggplant is the best. so is the rest of the food. The service is terrific and love Angie who tends the bar and waits on the tables in the bar. Angie at the front end is always accomodatiing and love her. we try to go at least once a week.Special Features:
- Great Birthday Dinner!rbaker71VIPDined on 6/27/2014Excellent, authentic Italian Food. Great group dinner for a birthday.Special Features:
- Multo bene!pwosterVIPDined on 6/21/2014We really enjoyed Genarro's Little Italy - it is a family run Italian restaurant that has a quaint feel to it. Many of the people we saw come in knew the owner personally. The food was outstanding, and served very hot. Service was a bit slow, but we got there when they had a couple of large parties, so that is understandable. The atmosphere is muted, with lots of old pics of Italian scenes and Old New York. The only issue we had was an apparent glitch in our reservation - OpenTable had it, but they did not see it at Genarro's. None the less, we did not have to wait more than 10 minutes. Genarro's is well worth a try!Special Features:
- YummyFoodFanaticVIPDined on 5/30/2014They have the best Clam pizza. Being from the north and having great pizza there is no place like Gennaro's for a delicious clam pizza. Never had one you need to try it and trust me you won't be sorry.Special Features:
- The following 10 reviews are from the Gennaro's Little Italy reviews archive.
- Needs updatedhksteenVIPDined on 4/26/2014Stepping into this space is like walking back in time 30 years. The food was great. Our service, not so much.
- We enjoyed our first timeJudyDined on 4/5/2014We enjoyed our first time at this restaurant in W. Ashley. The food and ambiance were great! The manager stopped by our table a couple of times to be sure we were having a good experience (which was very nice) The only negative was that the waitress was a little pushy about us ordering a bottle of wine instead of a glass each. Other than that, it was a delightful experience!Special Features:
- Great dinner!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/19/2014Their Chicken Parmegian was the best we've ever had, bar none.......Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yummy!PamkDined on 3/14/2014The food at Gennaro's is just so good! No better way to say it. We sat in the bar area which was a bit loud, but energetic probably describes it best. The service was really good and I would highly recommend it!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Authentic Gennaro'sWoodsyDined on 2/14/2014We loved the fact we could peruse the Open Table site and choose a last-minute place for dinner on Valentine's Day. We were passing through Charleston returning home from a trip and wanted to have a nice dinner for the holiday. Gennaro's was an excellent choice! The food was really excellent and original. The wine list was not extensive, but adequate for a neighborhood gem. They called us to confirm our reservation and service was friendly and welcoming. Thanks! Vivian Woods, Southport NCSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- amazing they stay in businessdisappointedVIPDined on 2/1/2014been going to Charleston for fifteen years and have never had a bad meal until now. Checked it on OT and it looked good, in business for 30 years, family owned, etc. Went with three of my family looking forward to an Italian meal. Checked out the menu and things looked good. Told the waitress I would have the Veal Piccata and her reply was "do you want capers with that?",, gave me a bad feeling. Sure enough it was pitiful; greasy breading on the veal, swimming in a "wine sauce" with no discernible butter or lemon, the alfredo tasted like it came out of a jar. Unfortunately everyone elses dinner was just as bad. Complete waste of time and money. Never written a review before but this was so bad, and OT reviews so misleading, I felt I had to.
- Best italian food in the area-vealpattydDined on 1/25/2014Best italian food in the area-veal was on the menu!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gennaros continues to be a favoriteScottsVIPDined on 1/17/2014We've been eating at Gennaros for 12 years and it continues to be consistently excellent. For restaurant week they had one of the best short rib specials I have ever had. 2 large generous melt in your mouth ribs on top of a bed of gnocchi with the most exceptional sauce ever - mushrooms, roasted red peppers and a rich au jus. Our favorite night is Thursday - when Mike Gennaro takes off his chefs hat and kicks off a night of jazz in the back room with 10 or so local musicians. Awesome!Special Features:
- Always a consistent mealErszadDined on 1/3/2014Gennaro's service is always wonderful, genuinely friendly, and food is very good. My only suggestion for improvement is that I I always have to salt and pepper the food so a little more seasoning would be good. However freshness, portions, and quality are top notch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An Italian Gem in West Ashleywxman77VIPDined on 11/30/2013Gennaro's is a wonderful addition to the growing restaurant scene in West Ashley. The food is superb and the service is impeccable. The wait staff is extremely friendly and willing to steer you in the right direction on the menu. The facilities are comfortable, although a bit dated. I would highly recommend this hidden gem to anyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.