Gennaro's Grill & Garden
450 Marsh Street
San Luis Obispo, CA 93401Neighborhood:
San Luis Obispo
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
Gennaro's Grill & Garden
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://gennarosgrillandgarden.com/
- Phone: 8057829999
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Friday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm, Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm: Sunday from 4:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Continental, Italian
- Executive Chef: Gennaro Rosato
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Delivery, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Catering Menus are personally created for your special occasion, and to your specifications.
- Private Party Facilities: Our Fireside area can be enclosed and accommodate 30+ people. We can also accommodate private parties of 40 guests in our bar area.
- Private Party Contact: Gennaro Rosato 8057829999
A word from Gennaro's Grill & Garden
Gennaro's Grill & Garden is located in a delightful old Victorian setting. The cuisine is classic Northern Italian that includes fresh seafood and vegetarian dishes. All our pastas are homemade and our breads and desserts are prepared in our kitchen daily. We have an extensive wine list chosen with passionate devotion that stems from Gennaro's extensive experience as the Chief Wine Stewart on cruise lines. We also have a full bar where Happy Hour occurs Monday-Thursday from 4:30 to 7:00 pm. Gennaro is an experienced and renowned restaurateur, and former owner of Benvenuti Ristorante enjoyed by many SLO residents for 14 years. His restaurant was voted "One of the best Italian Restaurants in America" by Veronelli Publishing. Gennaro's Grill & Garden ~ a delightful environment where the food is robust, authentically classic and alive with fresh taste. Whatever the occasion, Gennaro's Grill & Garden is the place!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeighborhood Gem
Gennaro's Grill & Garden - Best Restaurants in San Luis Obispo ›
Gennaro's Grill & Garden reviews from OpenTable diners
16 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelQuiet
romantic (10)neighborhood gem (10)special occasion (10)fit for foodies (5)notable wine list (4)great for brunch (3)great for lunch (3)great for outdoor dining (2)good for groups (2)kid-friendly (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- Sleeping GemEyebloomDined on 8/16/2014The moment you walk in the door, you know you are being taken care of... The restaurant was empty on our off-season visit, but the heart the owner pours into the food, the service, and the wine selection shine through. Food: generous portions and great flavor. Wine: wonderful Italian imports. This is a place that seems perfect for large parties such as rehearsal dinners. When bustling, I'm sure the restaurant feels more warm and cozy, while retaining the charming old-world family vibe.Special Features:
- MichaelDined on 8/11/2014We went to the Gennaro's Grill & Garden for the first time, on our anniversary. We were very impressed by the service; the food. which was excellent & the ambiance of the restaurant We thought everything about the restaurant was excellent & the prices were very reasonable for the quality of our meals. My wife had been to the restaurant before with a group of women from our church & they all were very impressed by the quality of the food, service & etc . We would highly recommend Gennaro's Grill & Garden to anyone to have an excellent dinning experience. Thank you, Donna & MichaelSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/20/2014What a nice place to enjoy a quiet dinner with an environment that allows for conversation. Food was delicious and the server went a step above.
- Excellent Hidden TreasureSLOSueDined on 7/12/2014We have eaten here many times. Each time the meal is delicious and fresh. The service is very good and the wine list excellent. What more could you ask from a local gem that is off the beaten path.Special Features:
- Romantic, delicious!SLOfoodcrazyDined on 7/6/2014I absolutely loved this quaint little restaurant! My fiancé and I went out for a nice dinner on a mini vacation that we took down to SLO. We have high standards for Italian food, and this little place met them all! Absolutely delicious. Attentive service, good (but not too much) variety on the menu...would recommend for a special occasion or nice night out!! Can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just okay...OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 6/21/2014Not sure I would recommend based on the food quality...it was just okay. Nothing that spectacular or that would bring us back. The service however was outstanding!Special Features:
- DisappointingMavenDined on 6/21/2014This is our fifth visit to Gennaro's and sad to say this visit was disappointing. Despite the fact that the ambiance remained the same, and we have had the same waiter on each occasion, the food which was the main reason for returning, was not good. The waiter pushed the Wahoo and that turned out to be dry and inedible. To replace the wahoo, one friend asked for the soup, which remained untouched after the first spoonful. the osso bucco was disappointing, although the beef carapacio was quite nice. We will probably not return.
- We just love it, services was greatRestaurantLoverVIPDined on 6/18/2014We where driving from LA to SFO and stop in the afternoon at San Luis de Obispo for lunch. First we plan to be there at 2pm just after lunch time, but we change our reservation for 2:30p.m. and we get there just in time. As soon we where there, we saw the last table paying there bill and we think would not give a good services because we where late. But! Services was perfect and super friendly. This places is highly recommended for the location, services and food. They serve a pretty good portions, the bread was perfectly made it and a local wine was really good. Food flavor was another 10pts. and the ambiance outside, was just what we where looking for, that day in a cute town call San Luis de Obispo.Special Features:
- Very niceOccasionalDined on 6/14/2014We enjoyed the food and the ambiance. Very nice place, good service, worth the price.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/11/2014I enjoyed the Omelete my wife had the Pasta, She thought it was OK. The Service was absolutely superb, the Ambiance was very niceSpecial Features:
- The following 68 reviews are from the Gennaro's Grill & Garden reviews archive.
- Very Nice ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/24/2014Lovely setting in an old house. Food was of the quality we've eaten in Italy. The wine was a generous pour but maybe I ordered the wrong type....my husband's was better. In spite of a boisterous group at the table next to us, we were able to talk and enjoy a memorable evening with our daughter.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner @ Gennaro'sRedsoxmanDined on 4/19/2014Outstanding food, service and ambiance in a quaint historic house. Very nice experience!Special Features:
- Brings back memoriesRussVIPDined on 4/5/2014I had my 25th birthday party at Gennaro's in Glendale (same owner) almost 30 years ago. We were up in SLO for a wine tasting trip, and had to come here. The restaurant is in a converted house, os there is a very intimate vibe. The food was delicious, the service was excellent. A very good meal overall.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Date NightTasteTestersDined on 3/29/2014Perfect quiet spot for a romantic date night! VERY friendly staff!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Quiet ReunionAnachronismDined on 3/8/2014This restaurant was perfect for a reunion dinner with another couple we hadn't seen in over ten years. We could enjoy ourselves at a table by the fireplace, and we could hear ourselves talk. The service was impeccable. The martinis were perfectly made. The food was good... nothing spectacular, but it was good enough.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- At least we got Open Table points!mamatVIPDined on 2/28/2014So disappointing to expect decent food and not get it. There are not many Open Table options in San Luis Obispo but don't ever make this one of yours. The food was just not good and the restaurant was empty on a Friday night. Yikes! Time to retire.
- Great food and prices, goodRickDined on 2/15/2014Great food and prices, good ambience. Very pleasurable experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a disappointment!SLOEaterVIPDined on 2/15/2014After reading reviews on Open Table and Yelp I decided to make a reservation. We had two hungry boys with us and were not served the entree for more than an hour. The food was simply awful and the service was only nominally better. We won't go there again, and it's a real shame because the ambience is so nice.
- Valentine's Day DinnerTerryTowelDined on 2/14/2014Went here for dinner with my wife. We made reservations, but still had to wait in line. It seems that the reservations are pointless. Service was great. We brought our own bottle of wine, they charge a $10 corkage fee. The food was excellent! You can really tell that the pasta is fresh. My wife and I both thought it was some of the best pasta we've had. This place is so close to being a very romantic dining spot, but there are few things that need to be improved. 1.) Lighting: The lighting is very yellow and too bright. I would suggest using a softer white light. The yellowish lighting really made the ambiance feel strange. 2.) Music: Its an Italian joint, why not have some soft music playing in the background.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sadly disapointedDisappointingDinnerDined on 2/14/2014The restaurant was crowded, dark and the service was not good. We asked questions about what was in the food, and were not given proper information. I am allergic to mushrooms and was told there weren't any in the food. It was so dark, I didn't realize they were indeed in the food until half way through the meal. When they came around at the end of the meal to ask if we enjoyed it, my friend spoke up and said she was disappointed in how chewy and overcooked the seafood was. The lady asked who took our order, my friend responded by saying "an older gentleman in red", and then the woman smacked her on the arm and said "don't call him old, that's my husband." and walked away. Did nothing about our poor quality food. Extremely disappointed.
- BenvenutodoctorDined on 2/14/2014Charming family restaurant, run by Gennaro, & his wife, Margo. Authentic Italian cuisine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romantic and great foodCometTimDined on 2/14/2014It is great living in SLO, there are just so many good places to eat!. BUT there are not that many places that serve quality food in a romantic setting at a reasonable price--Gennaro's is just the ticket! Gennaro's wife greeted us with her typical friendly smile, and took us right to our table--6:30 on Feb 14--good thing we reserved our space with OpenTable--the line was out the door by the time we left!. My wife had the Veal Shank and I had the pasta--both were wonderful. Her risotto was off the hook! We also had our company Christmas dinner there, a great place and a wonderful room. We had the full menu to choose from, and the 18 of us had a great time. I highly recommend Gennaro's for your next corporate dinner.Special Features:
- Warm and CozycelebrationVIPDined on 2/3/2014It was a quiet night at the restaurant. Wish they seated us in the fireplace room. but Love all the different room sizes and it feels so homey. great food, ambiance, waitstaff. definitely eat here again.Special Features:
- Authintic Itlian foodAllanDined on 1/31/2014We were quite pleased when we requested items that were not on the menu and were told "no problem" by the staff and owner! A true Italian Gem located in a Beautiful location. The perfectly made dishes came out 'piping hot' and Delicious! Bravo!! A must for foodies too!Special Features:
- Restauant monthOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 1/24/2014We went to Gennaro's for Restaurant month; several things surprised me. The mushroom soup was fantastic...not your average "cream of mushroom soup". The fish was done to perfection. Nice value!Special Features:
- What a gem!FoodieDined on 1/21/2014I took a friend for her birthday dinner, what a great choice. The food was delicious and the presentation was top shelf. It was a bonus that the owner was there, came over to the table and we had a nice chat!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We enjoyed this restaurantannieroseDined on 1/18/2014We enjoyed this restaurant in November for our anniversary and really loved it! They truly made our anniversary celebration a special event and the cuisine was like no other Italian restaurant we have been too. Our dining experience Saturday night was with friends who were equally impressed. Thank you for providing a restaurant in our community that boasts incredible food served in a lovely atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love Gennaro's Italian RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/10/2014A very cozy restaurant which used to be a home. We each had very delicious penne containing salmon and mushrooms in red sauce. My husband needs gluten-free pasta and Gennaro's had g-f penne. For dessert we each had very generous creme brule - yum! I would term Gennar's as a "neighborhood gem." The owner, Mr. Gennaro, came to the tables and he is a very quiet but friendly man with a broad smile. We definitely will return for more good food and service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Best Italian Food in SLOcshellDined on 12/24/2013This place is a gem, wonderful food & nice people with a warm and inviting atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Christmas TreatDhsidDined on 12/24/2013Found one of the few open restaurants on Christmas eve. There was a good size crowd of mostly older regulars. The owners were wonderful and gracious. The food was average but it was a good experience overall. I would recommend this place for a romantic night out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quaint ItalianOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 12/15/2013The restaurant is a converted old house. Well laid out, we were given a nice table for two by a window with a street view. The food was well prepared and reasonably priced. This was a Sunday night in December and the place was nearly empty so I don't know how service would have been normally - but for us everything was special. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WeakCW121413Dined on 12/14/2013The waiter was strangely pushy with the wine she seemed to be an expert about. I think the female waiter was a occasional waitress there. the main waiter did have a much better understanding of his job and how to treat the customers. the salads were very good along with the bread but the pastas were nothing special, served and displayed with plain disappointment. The overall experience was very disappointing with a big bill attached. DON'T GO THERE
- Always reliably good foodJaniceDined on 11/24/2013We eat here every week for a reason-- it's reliably good food. Never too salty. Always satisfying. I liked the fish soup Sunday special; a beautiful dish of shellfish (in their shells, which I prefer), shrimp, and fish. A couple of people in our group wished it had a little more oomph. Maybe a little cayenne? Those who ordered the osso buco Sunday special said they would definitely order it again. And the Fettucini Alfredo from the Sunday special was to die for! YUM! The fact that we had the room to ourselves was nice, too, because a group of 8 is rather noisy. Thank you, Gennaro and Juan-Carlos.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gennaro's has a special qualityslomurfDined on 11/23/2013Gennaro's has a special quality that you only get when the owner is totally involved. He pours your wine, he stops by for a visit at your table and you know that he is making sure the customer gets great service. This is a restaurant you bring your out-of-town guests to for great food, wine & service. The portions are just right and presented beautifully. How could you not love this place?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Going back again next date night!savonwarriorDined on 10/20/2013This was our first date night out since well before we had child #2 (10 months and counting). What a treat - early on a Sunday, we almost had the restaurant to ourselves. The salad was amazing, and we split a glass of the house pinot grigio. Entrees fabulous, the handmade pastas really were tasty. Closing out the meal we had multiple cups of freshly made coffee and shared probably the best panna cotta that either of us has ever experienced. Probably the best bang for the buck Italian restaurant around. Sure there's a bit cheaper (Olive Garden, anyone?), but if pressed, I'd say it's easily in line with menus at Vieni Vai or Mama's Meatball without the wait and certainly friendlier/more attentive wait staff. We'll be back within the month!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Old World CharmMarioDined on 10/16/2013Take a trip back to Italy when dining at Gennaro's. Old Victorian home converted to a warm and comfortable environment. Attentive service at a reasonable price. We will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A real find in San Luis Obispo! !PhantomDined on 9/23/2013Great food , great service ! Would return again in a moment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this place !PamalotDined on 6/29/2013We were there Saturday night while weekending in SLO. I can't begin to tell you how much fun we had. Juan Carlos, our server, was spot on in levels of customer service and providing a delightful evening. The food is fabulous. I had the arugula salad special that was presented beautifully. I had the paparadelle with sausage and took my leftovers home, since we had a refrigerator in our room for lunch on Monday. My guy had the Linquini Diavlo and he was amazed by the amount of seafood on the plate. I would definitely go back there if we are ever in that area again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SpecialPartyOfSixDined on 6/21/2013We found this restaurant by chance while staying in San Luis Obispo to visit our old college town and visiting with family. We all enjoyed the feel of being welcome. The food was delicious. We all had a different meal and everyone loved what they ordered. We will be sure to stop again on our next visit to San Luis Obispo.Special Features:
- Never eat at an empty restaurantCyclistVIPDined on 6/5/2013We were the only ones there during our entire dining experience on a Wednesday. It seems the locals know. Very uninteresting food. There are many better choices in SLO. 'Nuf said.