Gennaro's 5 North Square
5 North Square
Boston, MA 02113Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
Gennaro's 5 North Square
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.5northsquare.com/
- Phone: 6177201050
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday - Thursday: 12:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 12:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Marisa Iocco
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar/Lounge, Beer, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, View, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Gennaro's 5 North Square is an excellent location for business meetings, special occasions and Holiday Parties. We have two dining rooms that can accommodate from 25 to 65 guests. Gennaro's is situated in a gorgeous 19th century building overlooking enchanting North Square, the oldest square in America, former home to Paul Revere and the earliest Italian settlers to Boston. Our menu boasts of traditional home style Italian cooking, made with the freshest ingredients available, prepared by Chef Aldo. Audio visual equipment is available upon request. We look forward to having you dine with us!
- Private Party Contact: linda riccio 6177201050
- Special Events: Great spot for all your special events.
A word from Gennaro's 5 North Square
Welcome to Gennaro's 5 North Square, located in Boston's historic North End. The restaurant is under the management of Gennaro, who brought you the Caffe Vittoria,Florentine Cafe and Stanza dei Sigari. Gennaro's is located at 5 North Square the oldest square in America, a quite retreat located steps from busy Hanover Street. With it's cobblestone streets and gas lamposts, North Square is one of the most romantic spots in the North End and Boston. The cuisine at Gennaro's is traditional Italian home cooking with fresh seafood specialties served daily. We would love to have you visit us at Gennaro's and look forward to serving you!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Gennaro's 5 North Square reviews from OpenTable diners
45 reviews since May 6, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (26)romantic (20)special occasion (18)fit for foodies (16)scenic view (13)good for groups (12)notable wine list (7)great for lunch (5)late-night find (3)great for brunch (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Good food, but priceyOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/30/2014Had Lasagna-- very good, but very small portion and nothing came with it except bread, oil and water--$24. Hubie had veal parmesan. Again very good, but small cutlet with a small side of pasta for about the same price. I've had great Italian elsewhere in the North End with much more food and lower prices. Hence, the reason I'd not advise others to go to Genaro's.Special Features:
- Terrific Authentic ItalianNjnetsfanVIPDined on 8/27/2014First time the family and I visited Gennaro's at 5 North Square in Boston. We have been to Italy and frequently dine at the finest restaurants in NYC. Gennaro's is a terrific find in Boston's North End. The service, Food and Ambiance are all First Class. Absolutely The BestSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Veeeeery nice!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/23/2014Well the food was delicious and it came out very beautifully plated the calamari was Crisp and yummy very fresh and the rice balls appetizer was served with thinly sliced squashes with a vinaigrette on the side, pasta was homemade! everything was lovely ! our service impeccable and on the way out our group we even met the chef who was outside. Then of course after lunch I saw a Groupon the next day for brunch I will definitely be using it!!Special Features:
- Great Meal in The North EndBobthebuilderVIPDined on 8/16/2014We had "Chicken on the Brick" and the "Chicken Marsala". Both were perfectly prepared. I would highly recommend this restaurant and it's only a block off Hanover Street!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nice placeDCTarheel78Dined on 8/9/2014this is a great spot for a low key dinner in the North end. The menu was nice, and the food was pretty good, but service was painfully slow.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Over rated.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/9/2014In a sea of authentic amazing small family owned restaurants, this is the Americanized "McDonalds" of the North End. It seems to be self promoted and very over rated on several review websites (esp Urban Spoon) Do not fall victim of their inflated marketing. Good was a HUGE disappointment compared to the sea of amazing eateries surrounding this place. Word of mouth way to choose in thee North End.
- Gem Among GemsRobertoDined on 8/9/2014There are a number of great choices for fine Italian dining in the. North End and I'm glad we chose Genaros. It's just off the bustle of Hanover on North Sq. overlooking a small park. We had a great upstairs view. The service was excellent on a busy Sat evening and we were well attended to. The wine choices were good and the food was fabulous...Caesar salad, spaghetti w mamas Sunday gravy and meatballs...like home....and Veal Marsala we will be thinking about until our next visit. Reservations recommended.Special Features:
- PeterDined on 8/7/2014One can always be sure of a great meal when Marisa is charge of the kitchen and this prooved true again on our 4th visit to Gennaro's 5 North. The restaurant is very attractive and the food delicious. I would advise asking for a 2nd floor table as it is quieter and more intimate. The view is of quaint North Square, away from the hubbub of Hanover St. The waitstaff is experienced, pleasant and knowledgeable about the menu. The wine list has a good selection and besides the usual division based on color it is grouped by price with several bottles at each level, making it easier to find a wine to fit your budget. You can count on great experience when dining at Gennaro'sSpecial Features:
- ButchVIPDined on 8/7/2014The food was not anything special. The veal was tough. Gnocchi was bland. The waitress was very nice and attentive. Desserts were good.
- NanjDined on 8/3/2014Can't say enough about this restaurant. The food is wonderful and the staff is very knowledgeable. Have never been disappointed each time we dined there. The fresh pasta was delicious and my husband and I had different fish dishes that were so good I ordered it again when we went back. Would definitely recommend this restaurant. The restaurant is decorated very tastefully. Loved it!Special Features:
- IncredibleAnthony13Dined on 8/2/2014The experience here was incredible!. Gennaro's has a very nice homey, classic Italian feel to it. I went with a date to have dinner, the ambiance was perfect for a quiet romantic dinner. The service was superb and our waiter was the best, his recommendations on food were delicious and spot on to what we were looking for. Best Italian food I have had so far!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great neighborhood placeOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/1/2014Great food!! Nice view onto quiet square, great waiter! We had a lot of fun!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved the foodCorrieDined on 7/21/2014This is our third time going to Gennaro's, first time for dinner. The food was wonderful and our service was outstanding. We have been in the past for lunch and couldn't wait to try dinner, we were happy with our choice.Special Features:
- Time to Go?!?EC2014Dined on 7/19/2014The food was good. But being told they needed the table for other reservations after we were there for 1 hour is unacceptable service. There are better restaurants in the neighborhoodSpecial Features:
- A taste of Italy in North Sq BostonMedicFoodieDined on 7/18/2014Came across Gennaro's on a review site and every compliment I read came true in person. Perfectly romantic location and ambiance, friendly, knowledgable staff and food that speaks of love and effort in each bite. Nice wine list as well although we didn't have wine with dinner. Entrees are priced on the medium high side but price is soon forgotten when you taste. I will visit again and recommend you do as well. 5 stars!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Noisy but great food!VictoriaDined on 7/12/2014I loved the fresh pasta and sauce was delicious.Waiter was good. Not good for elderly because of stairs. Would come back again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SO-SOMaggianosDined on 7/12/2014Found the food to be average. The service was slow and inattentive. Tables for 2 quite small. Noisy atmosphere. There is better in the North End.
- DisappointedRigsVIPDined on 7/11/2014It began with the server. She only made eye contact with me so my wife was a bit put off by that miscue. The highlights were the appetizers - Caesar salad, the grilled octopus, and the wine we wanted was not available, so a substitute was found and the wine was very good. Our entrees were less than ideal. The eggplant parm was mushy and the bolognese was filled with ground beef...not quite what it said on the menu. All-in-all, we will be finding another restaurant in the North End.
- Good foodCarolVIPDined on 6/21/2014Restaurant did not honor my request for a window table even with almost 6 weeks notice on reservation. Food was flavorful and sauces delicious. Service was friendly and knowledgeable, though I had to ask twice for butter.Special Features:
- jimboDined on 6/14/2014Just a wonderful location, with great service, food and ambiance. It is a real Boston experiance.Special Features:
- Gennaro's, North End, Bostonfangman22Dined on 6/13/2014My wife and I like this restaurant very much and enjoy taking visiting friends there. The location, surroundings and ambience are superb. The quality of food is good to excellent. On our most recent visit one main course was a disappointment because the pasta was overcooked and another lacked flavor. This would in no way deter us from going back.Special Features:
- Gennaro has never disappointed...BettyLouDined on 5/24/2014Gennaro has become one of our very favorite restaurants in Boston. The food is wonderful, and the restaurant itself is lovely, and cozy. We had a wonderful dinner on a Saturday night, and had no trouble conversing. We recommend this place often, and will return again and again!Special Features:
- Great restaurant!!agaig123Dined on 5/24/2014When my family and I got to the restaurant, we were a little put off by how long we had to wait, but our waiter was charming and went out of his way to make it up. The noise level was a bit much; but it was by no means was it overwhelming. The food was absolutely outstanding. I would highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Little ItalyJimmy134Dined on 5/13/2014Great location on North Square all tables overlook lamplit cobblestone street Marisa,owner/chef greeted us upon arrival quiet and quaint , away from the bustle of Hanover St. five star food !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mothers Day DiningOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/11/2014One of the finest establishments Ive visited in all aspects. Service, Menu, Atmosphere, Food, Price, Staff, Portions etc. All 3 of us enjoyed everything we ordered and will definitely visit again as soon as possible.Special Features:
- TonyDined on 5/10/2014My wife and I went to Gennaro's for a Saturday night dinner; the area at North Square I think is the best in the North End; not too noisy, not too many crowds, and very historic. The restaurant was very nice inside, well-decorated, and very clean. Staff was very helpful, friendly, and a pleasure to work with. The chef came to check on us during dinner and was genuinely interested in our opinion of the food. As others have noted, the wine list is ample, and has plenty of good, mid-priced options. My wife says it is her new favorite spot in the North End. I would definitely recommend this restaurant.Special Features:
- The following 387 reviews are from the Gennaro's 5 North Square reviews archive.
- Great RestaurantRobbieDined on 5/3/2014I love this restaurant; the food is delicious and the service is sensational. One of my favorite restaurants in the area. It’s perfect for a date or a special occasion. My boyfriend and I visit this restaurant frequently. We were there on Saturday night. The food was delicious and the service was phenomenal; we even got to meet the chef and she was so friendly and made sure we were happy with the food. Great restaurant and we can’t wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointmentSusanDined on 5/3/2014While the food was very good, our experience was very disappointing. The dining room is crowded and the servers were oblivious to the customer experience. Our server showed no emotion or care for us. When he could tell things were going downhill, he ignored us. We will not be back.
- Great food!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/2/2014I had a 3 o'clock reservation at Gennaro's and arrived with half my party at 1:30. They happily accommodated us. The waitress recommended her favorite appetizers while we waited for the rest of the party and they were delicious!! Everything was incredible!Special Features:
- DisappointedBosox8Dined on 4/26/2014We were surprised by the change in menu and were disappointed to say the least. The service attentiveness was poor (we even had to ask for bread after watching the other tables receive theirs), the music was too loud and the overall ambiance we had experienced in the past was gone. We will not be returning to Gennaro's.
- Always DeliciousCiciDined on 4/24/2014Returned to Gennaro's and was once again delighted by the delicious food and wine. The gnocchi were the best I ever had - fluffy, not heavy and the pesto was like what I had in Italy. Great food at a great prices. Have yet to try a dish we didn't love.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden GemjjbirdDined on 4/18/2014Been going to the North End for years. This restaurant is delicious and charming. Both the food and service were outstanding.Special Features:
- perfect ending to a day in BostonvieilledameVIPDined on 4/12/2014The Menu is varied enough for to encompass choices for picky eaters, we had 4 different main dishes, shared 2 starters and a dessert - all five stars!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner before ChersportsbostVIPDined on 4/9/2014My friend and I walked over from the T.D. Garden for dinner before Cher(10 Min or less). We were early so received a lot of great service and attention. The Caesar salad was fabulous . We split the eggplant parm.( this was a perfect size for 2 ladies to split) It was awesome. This restaurant was called 5 North sq. before the new owner's added Gennaro. Great dinner and experience for a nice night in the city.Special Features:
- Solid Italian Food in North EndOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 4/6/2014First time at restaurant and very pleased with diverse Italian menu and service. Eggplant parmigiana and calamari a great combination. Gennaro's a solid choice in the North End with so much competition in the area, less "touristy" than on Hanover Street. Two levels with sufficient space for groups, nice to be able to hear across even a large table.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 4/5/2014The food was good but not great. The table for two was tiny, against a wall, and neither of us could get in and out of our chairs without bumping the chair behind us or vice versa. I am not a large person. My 6 foot tall husband had no room to move. We used to enjoy this restaurant years ago but always sat downstairs. There are so many good restaurants in the North End that don't have such a space constraint. I wouldn't return.
- nothing specialOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 3/29/2014especially since they totally ignored my note about not giving us a table near the door.
- Great foodBabsDined on 3/21/2014Dinner was excellent and so was the decor of the restaurant, much bigger than other small restaurants in north end. Live around corner and will definitely be backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A piece of Italy in BostonDcmattVIPDined on 3/18/2014It was like getting off a plane and stepping into a family run Italian restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Was expecting moreChrisVIPDined on 3/15/2014I found the food at Genaro's good, but nothing to write home about and certainly not of the level I was expecting. Service was a bit slow, but attentive and eventually picked up. A good meal, but would try somewhere else next time.I would recommend this to a friend.