Gennaro's 5 North Square
5 North Square
Boston, MA 02113Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
Gennaro's 5 North Square
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.5northsquare.com/
- Phone: 6177201050
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday - Thursday: 11:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 11:30pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Marisa Iocco
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar/Lounge, Beer, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, View, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Gennaro's 5 North Square is an excellent location for business meetings, special occasions and Holiday Parties. We have two dining rooms that can accommodate from 25 to 65 guests. Gennaro's is situated in a gorgeous 19th century building overlooking enchanting North Square, the oldest square in America, former home to Paul Revere and the earliest Italian settlers to Boston. Our menu boasts of traditional home style Italian cooking, made with the freshest ingredients available, prepared by Chef Aldo. Audio visual equipment is available upon request. We look forward to having you dine with us!
- Private Party Contact: linda riccio 6177201050
- Special Events: Great spot for all your special events.
A word from Gennaro's 5 North Square
Welcome to Gennaro's 5 North Square, located in Boston's historic North End. The restaurant is under the management of Gennaro, who brought you the Caffe Vittoria,Florentine Cafe and Stanza dei Sigari. Gennaro's is located at 5 North Square the oldest square in America, a quite retreat located steps from busy Hanover Street. With it's cobblestone streets and gas lamposts, North Square is one of the most romantic spots in the North End and Boston. The cuisine at Gennaro's is traditional Italian home cooking with fresh seafood specialties served daily. We would love to have you visit us at Gennaro's and look forward to serving you!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Gennaro's 5 North Square reviews from OpenTable diners
49 reviews since June 22, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (27)romantic (21)special occasion (19)fit for foodies (15)scenic view (11)good for groups (11)notable wine list (8)great for lunch (4)late-night find (3)kid-friendly (2)hot spot (1)Show More
- Gluten-Free still an issueOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/18/2014We wanted to celebrate an occasion with friends with celiac disease. We like to make things easy for them; we know the difficulty of eating out. I wrote a GF request on the OpenTable reservation and followed up wth the restaurant a few days prior. Our waiter was great and offered to check with the kitchen re: questions. We were surprised they couldn't have the polenta -- typically cornmeal and water -- but Gennaro's has flour in it. My friend was told he couldn't have a meat since it was braised in a stew containing flour. For a restaurant to advertise they can accommodate GF diets, then reassure us several times that most meals could be prepared that way, and then not have a knowledgeable staff to follow through, is disappointing.Special Features:
- Nice find in northendladidiDined on 10/17/2014Pleasant surprise. Food was very good, portions nice, service very goodSpecial Features:
- Another North End TreasureOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/17/2014A bit off the beaten path in the North End. Loved the ambiance....was not rushed at all, even though we were probably that last ones out! I had the Pappardelle Bolognese--which I would very highly recommend. She had the Fetucinne Al Nero, which was good. I really enjoyed the food, ambiance and the pace of the meal. Great place for that special date. A trip to Modern afterwards is mandatory!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall great date night spotOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/17/2014Went here before a comedy show. The cheese board and wine list were delicious. We also had the Chicken Marsala and stuffed eggplant. We booked with open table. Service was excellent. We will definitely be going back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A mouthwatering mealSealkatDined on 10/13/2014An absolutely delightful evening. The food is exceptional - wonderful flavors, with old favorites and new. Service extremely friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic food!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/10/2014Our dinner for 6 at Gennaro's was fantastic. The food was terrific and the service exemplary. We loved the bread pudding for dessert. Our only advice is that the meal descriptions do not mention every ingredient so just ask if you need to avoid something (e.g., meat; my wife's dish was garnished with bacon that she had to eat around).Special Features:
- fantastic!girasoleDined on 10/3/2014I'm italian and I confess since long time I had a wonderful dinner, the service with Francesco and Marisa's chef fantastic food! you can go to Gennaro for any occasion, it's a present for yourself! do it and go!!!Special Features:
- Good overallCallieBananaDined on 9/27/2014We had made advanced reservations for my birthday and our upcoming anniversary. We were a bit disturbed by the lack of professionalism from the greeting staff. We arrived early and were told that this was good because they were overbooked. We felt like we were under the watchful eye of the front line staff, wondering how quickly they would hurry us along. Being near the door as people milled in and out did not give us the intimate and celebratory atmosphere we had hoped for. We felt like just another party of four. The server seemed to hover. We enjoyed our meals but it isn't likely we will return since we have had better dining experiences in several other North End restaurants. We ended up going elsewhere for dessert and coffee.Special Features:
- A night at GennarojimwalpoleDined on 9/20/2014Wonderful setting next store to Paul Revere's house in a quaint section of the North End. Terrific meal and Chicken Marcella was delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 9/13/2014With so many excellent Italian restaurants in the North End, this one is less than a footnote. Fresh pasta, but bland sauces, indifferent processed bread, and prices out of proportion to the poor quality. I won't need to try it a second time.
- Unique Italian experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/13/2014From the moment we arrived the experience was terrific. We've visited there many times but now there were vegan and vegetarian option to please all in our party. The tomato sorbet was so unique and wonderful. It was light and sweet and unexpededly delightful. The servings were plentiful. I would recommend sitting upstairs as it gets noisy by the door. So worth the trip in town!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Second time hereGreen2Dined on 9/6/2014We went here again and there were 4 of us. Three of us LOVED our meals, the 4th one not so much. He got the eggplant and it was pretty tasteless. Everything else was good though. The martini's were watery so I would probably recommend beer or wine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, but priceyOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/30/2014Had Lasagna-- very good, but very small portion and nothing came with it except bread, oil and water--$24. Hubie had veal parmesan. Again very good, but small cutlet with a small side of pasta for about the same price. I've had great Italian elsewhere in the North End with much more food and lower prices. Hence, the reason I'd not advise others to go to Genaro's.Special Features:
- Terrific Authentic ItalianNjnetsfanVIPDined on 8/27/2014First time the family and I visited Gennaro's at 5 North Square in Boston. We have been to Italy and frequently dine at the finest restaurants in NYC. Gennaro's is a terrific find in Boston's North End. The service, Food and Ambiance are all First Class. Absolutely The BestSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Veeeeery nice!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/23/2014Well the food was delicious and it came out very beautifully plated the calamari was Crisp and yummy very fresh and the rice balls appetizer was served with thinly sliced squashes with a vinaigrette on the side, pasta was homemade! everything was lovely ! our service impeccable and on the way out our group we even met the chef who was outside. Then of course after lunch I saw a Groupon the next day for brunch I will definitely be using it!!Special Features:
- Great Meal in The North EndBobthebuilderVIPDined on 8/16/2014We had "Chicken on the Brick" and the "Chicken Marsala". Both were perfectly prepared. I would highly recommend this restaurant and it's only a block off Hanover Street!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nice placeDCTarheel78VIPDined on 8/9/2014this is a great spot for a low key dinner in the North end. The menu was nice, and the food was pretty good, but service was painfully slow.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Over rated.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/9/2014In a sea of authentic amazing small family owned restaurants, this is the Americanized "McDonalds" of the North End. It seems to be self promoted and very over rated on several review websites (esp Urban Spoon) Do not fall victim of their inflated marketing. Good was a HUGE disappointment compared to the sea of amazing eateries surrounding this place. Word of mouth way to choose in thee North End.
- Gem Among GemsRobertoDined on 8/9/2014There are a number of great choices for fine Italian dining in the. North End and I'm glad we chose Genaros. It's just off the bustle of Hanover on North Sq. overlooking a small park. We had a great upstairs view. The service was excellent on a busy Sat evening and we were well attended to. The wine choices were good and the food was fabulous...Caesar salad, spaghetti w mamas Sunday gravy and meatballs...like home....and Veal Marsala we will be thinking about until our next visit. Reservations recommended.Special Features:
- PeterDined on 8/7/2014One can always be sure of a great meal when Marisa is charge of the kitchen and this prooved true again on our 4th visit to Gennaro's 5 North. The restaurant is very attractive and the food delicious. I would advise asking for a 2nd floor table as it is quieter and more intimate. The view is of quaint North Square, away from the hubbub of Hanover St. The waitstaff is experienced, pleasant and knowledgeable about the menu. The wine list has a good selection and besides the usual division based on color it is grouped by price with several bottles at each level, making it easier to find a wine to fit your budget. You can count on great experience when dining at Gennaro'sSpecial Features:
- ButchVIPDined on 8/7/2014The food was not anything special. The veal was tough. Gnocchi was bland. The waitress was very nice and attentive. Desserts were good.
- NanjDined on 8/3/2014Can't say enough about this restaurant. The food is wonderful and the staff is very knowledgeable. Have never been disappointed each time we dined there. The fresh pasta was delicious and my husband and I had different fish dishes that were so good I ordered it again when we went back. Would definitely recommend this restaurant. The restaurant is decorated very tastefully. Loved it!Special Features:
- IncredibleAnthony13Dined on 8/2/2014The experience here was incredible!. Gennaro's has a very nice homey, classic Italian feel to it. I went with a date to have dinner, the ambiance was perfect for a quiet romantic dinner. The service was superb and our waiter was the best, his recommendations on food were delicious and spot on to what we were looking for. Best Italian food I have had so far!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great neighborhood placeOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/1/2014Great food!! Nice view onto quiet square, great waiter! We had a lot of fun!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved the foodCorrieDined on 7/21/2014This is our third time going to Gennaro's, first time for dinner. The food was wonderful and our service was outstanding. We have been in the past for lunch and couldn't wait to try dinner, we were happy with our choice.Special Features:
- Time to Go?!?EC2014Dined on 7/19/2014The food was good. But being told they needed the table for other reservations after we were there for 1 hour is unacceptable service. There are better restaurants in the neighborhoodSpecial Features:
- A taste of Italy in North Sq BostonMedicFoodieDined on 7/18/2014Came across Gennaro's on a review site and every compliment I read came true in person. Perfectly romantic location and ambiance, friendly, knowledgable staff and food that speaks of love and effort in each bite. Nice wine list as well although we didn't have wine with dinner. Entrees are priced on the medium high side but price is soon forgotten when you taste. I will visit again and recommend you do as well. 5 stars!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Noisy but great food!VictoriaDined on 7/12/2014I loved the fresh pasta and sauce was delicious.Waiter was good. Not good for elderly because of stairs. Would come back again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SO-SOMaggianosDined on 7/12/2014Found the food to be average. The service was slow and inattentive. Tables for 2 quite small. Noisy atmosphere. There is better in the North End.
- DisappointedRigsVIPDined on 7/11/2014It began with the server. She only made eye contact with me so my wife was a bit put off by that miscue. The highlights were the appetizers - Caesar salad, the grilled octopus, and the wine we wanted was not available, so a substitute was found and the wine was very good. Our entrees were less than ideal. The eggplant parm was mushy and the bolognese was filled with ground beef...not quite what it said on the menu. All-in-all, we will be finding another restaurant in the North End.
- The following 396 reviews are from the Gennaro's 5 North Square reviews archive.
- Good foodCarolVIPDined on 6/21/2014Restaurant did not honor my request for a window table even with almost 6 weeks notice on reservation. Food was flavorful and sauces delicious. Service was friendly and knowledgeable, though I had to ask twice for butter.Special Features:
- jimboDined on 6/14/2014Just a wonderful location, with great service, food and ambiance. It is a real Boston experiance.Special Features:
- Gennaro's, North End, Bostonfangman22Dined on 6/13/2014My wife and I like this restaurant very much and enjoy taking visiting friends there. The location, surroundings and ambience are superb. The quality of food is good to excellent. On our most recent visit one main course was a disappointment because the pasta was overcooked and another lacked flavor. This would in no way deter us from going back.Special Features:
- Gennaro has never disappointed...BettyLouDined on 5/24/2014Gennaro has become one of our very favorite restaurants in Boston. The food is wonderful, and the restaurant itself is lovely, and cozy. We had a wonderful dinner on a Saturday night, and had no trouble conversing. We recommend this place often, and will return again and again!Special Features:
- Great restaurant!!agaig123Dined on 5/24/2014When my family and I got to the restaurant, we were a little put off by how long we had to wait, but our waiter was charming and went out of his way to make it up. The noise level was a bit much; but it was by no means was it overwhelming. The food was absolutely outstanding. I would highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Little ItalyJimmy134Dined on 5/13/2014Great location on North Square all tables overlook lamplit cobblestone street Marisa,owner/chef greeted us upon arrival quiet and quaint , away from the bustle of Hanover St. five star food !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mothers Day DiningOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/11/2014One of the finest establishments Ive visited in all aspects. Service, Menu, Atmosphere, Food, Price, Staff, Portions etc. All 3 of us enjoyed everything we ordered and will definitely visit again as soon as possible.Special Features:
- TonyDined on 5/10/2014My wife and I went to Gennaro's for a Saturday night dinner; the area at North Square I think is the best in the North End; not too noisy, not too many crowds, and very historic. The restaurant was very nice inside, well-decorated, and very clean. Staff was very helpful, friendly, and a pleasure to work with. The chef came to check on us during dinner and was genuinely interested in our opinion of the food. As others have noted, the wine list is ample, and has plenty of good, mid-priced options. My wife says it is her new favorite spot in the North End. I would definitely recommend this restaurant.Special Features:
- Great RestaurantRobbieDined on 5/3/2014I love this restaurant; the food is delicious and the service is sensational. One of my favorite restaurants in the area. It’s perfect for a date or a special occasion. My boyfriend and I visit this restaurant frequently. We were there on Saturday night. The food was delicious and the service was phenomenal; we even got to meet the chef and she was so friendly and made sure we were happy with the food. Great restaurant and we can’t wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointmentSusanDined on 5/3/2014While the food was very good, our experience was very disappointing. The dining room is crowded and the servers were oblivious to the customer experience. Our server showed no emotion or care for us. When he could tell things were going downhill, he ignored us. We will not be back.