Gennaro's 5 North Square
5 North Square
Boston, MA 02113Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
Gennaro's 5 North Square
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.5northsquare.com/
- Phone: (617) 720-1050
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday - Thursday: 11:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 11:30pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Marisa Iocco
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar/Lounge, Beer, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, View, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Gennaro's 5 North Square is an excellent location for business meetings, special occasions and Holiday Parties. We have two dining rooms that can accommodate from 25 to 65 guests. Gennaro's is situated in a gorgeous 19th century building overlooking enchanting North Square, the oldest square in America, former home to Paul Revere and the earliest Italian settlers to Boston. Our menu boasts of traditional home style Italian cooking, made with the freshest ingredients available, prepared by Chef Aldo. Audio visual equipment is available upon request. We look forward to having you dine with us!
- Private Party Contact: linda riccio 6177201050
- Special Events: Great spot for all your special events.
A word from Gennaro's 5 North Square
Welcome to Gennaro's 5 North Square, located in Boston's historic North End. The restaurant is under the management of Gennaro, who brought you the Caffe Vittoria,Florentine Cafe and Stanza dei Sigari. Gennaro's is located at 5 North Square the oldest square in America, a quite retreat located steps from busy Hanover Street. With it's cobblestone streets and gas lamposts, North Square is one of the most romantic spots in the North End and Boston. The cuisine at Gennaro's is traditional Italian home cooking with fresh seafood specialties served daily. We would love to have you visit us at Gennaro's and look forward to serving you!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Gennaro's 5 North Square reviews from OpenTable diners
69 reviews since July 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (40)romantic (27)special occasion (23)fit for foodies (21)good for groups (16)scenic view (15)notable wine list (12)great for lunch (9)late-night find (4)kid-friendly (3)great for brunch (2)hot spot (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Excellent neighborhood restaurant wonderful foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/14/2014Eggplant Parmigiana is to die for. My wife and I along with friends have made this restaurant our favorite. Never have we had a meal that wasn't worth bragging about. My wife and I just celebrated our 40 wedding anniversary on Saturday evening with a special dinner there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- bobc7hadVIPDined on 11/8/2014excellent food and service. All four dishes were great great music as wellSpecial Features:
- Gennaro's 5 North SquareFoodie3188Dined on 11/5/2014What a great spot! Cozy and intimate with cobblestones right outside! Loved the fact that there were gluten free options and cool apps! Definitely coming back! Thanks!Special Features:
- Good experienceRingoDined on 11/5/2014Appetizer was delicious (Arancini), salad was delicious (Caesar), Eggplant Parm was good but not my style (not enough tomato sauce) and the wine was very good. Good experience overallSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never a disappointmentTinaKDined on 11/3/2014LOVE this place. It's tucked away in a charming section of the North End. The food never disappoints. They have a full bar, and the wine list is impressive. The owner/chef is from Tuscany and knows how to cook!!!!!Special Features:
- Average food with slow serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/1/2014Our experience was below average. There was a loud group sitting near us and we had to move our table 3 times to get away from the noise. We were moved near the kitchen, but the sound of clinking dishes was worse than the loud group. The food was average. There are not many options for the the veggie-lovers among us. We were hoping for a late (we went at 8:30) romantic dinner but were very disappointed. Food was okay--average Italian. The restaurant lacked the charm that most North End Italian places pride themselves on.Special Features:
- Gennaro's 5 North SquareOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/1/2014Hand crafted burrata salad=WOW! Pillows de zucca-unbelievable handmade pasta. To die for! veal parmagiana w/pasta nice wine & martini listSpecial Features:
- Great foodMassDined on 11/1/2014I always love going to Gennaro's and it never disappoints. Food was amazing, atmosphere was perfect. Waitstaff was friendly, helpful & never rushed us.Special Features:
- What a Find!AlphababeDined on 10/31/2014My husband and I went to Gennaro's based on its ability to make vegan food. We went pre-theater on Halloween night. The building is charming. We had to park in Gov't Center garage or in Faneuil Hall garage and walk over. It was a beautiful evening and we enjoyed the walk. We had hit traffic on the way to Boston and the staff was terrific. We ordered the mixed green salad and I had the squash ravioli....both were absolutely perfect. My husband ordered pasta with a marinara sauce, also delicious. We were still talking about the food the next day and plotting our return. Highly recommend Gennaro's.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Delightful ExperiencetriedNtrueDined on 10/26/2014An excellent dining experience with family from out of town. The service was pleasant, helpful and welcoming. The ambiance was just what we hoped for in the North End. And the food was uniquely well prepared. Definitely will return!Special Features:
- Very happy with overall experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/25/2014Reservation process good - restaurant called to remind me - got there 15 minutes early and were able to seat us - would go backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently FantasticDisappointedVIPDined on 10/24/2014Friends took us to Gennaro's about a year ago and we had a fantastic meal and dining experience. Since then I have been back 6 times and each time I find a new dish that enchants my palate, service that is always professional knowledgeable and attentive and ambiance that is the best of what the North End of Boston has to offer. Special night out, out of towners visiting or just a Tuesday - Gennaro's is a restaurant that stands the test of time.Special Features:
- nice new go to north end spotOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/19/2014really good - solves our problem since piccola Venezia closed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gluten-Free still an issueOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/18/2014We wanted to celebrate an occasion with friends with celiac disease. We like to make things easy for them; we know the difficulty of eating out. I wrote a GF request on the OpenTable reservation and followed up wth the restaurant a few days prior. Our waiter was great and offered to check with the kitchen re: questions. We were surprised they couldn't have the polenta -- typically cornmeal and water -- but Gennaro's has flour in it. My friend was told he couldn't have a meat since it was braised in a stew containing flour. For a restaurant to advertise they can accommodate GF diets, then reassure us several times that most meals could be prepared that way, and then not have a knowledgeable staff to follow through, is disappointing.Special Features:
- Nice find in northendladidiDined on 10/17/2014Pleasant surprise. Food was very good, portions nice, service very goodSpecial Features:
- Another North End TreasurehavefunnowDined on 10/17/2014A bit off the beaten path in the North End. Loved the ambiance....was not rushed at all, even though we were probably that last ones out! I had the Pappardelle Bolognese--which I would very highly recommend. She had the Fetucinne Al Nero, which was good. I really enjoyed the food, ambiance and the pace of the meal. Great place for that special date. A trip to Modern afterwards is mandatory!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall great date night spotOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/17/2014Went here before a comedy show. The cheese board and wine list were delicious. We also had the Chicken Marsala and stuffed eggplant. We booked with open table. Service was excellent. We will definitely be going back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A mouthwatering mealSealkatDined on 10/13/2014An absolutely delightful evening. The food is exceptional - wonderful flavors, with old favorites and new. Service extremely friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic food!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/10/2014Our dinner for 6 at Gennaro's was fantastic. The food was terrific and the service exemplary. We loved the bread pudding for dessert. Our only advice is that the meal descriptions do not mention every ingredient so just ask if you need to avoid something (e.g., meat; my wife's dish was garnished with bacon that she had to eat around).Special Features:
- fantastic!girasoleDined on 10/3/2014I'm italian and I confess since long time I had a wonderful dinner, the service with Francesco and Marisa's chef fantastic food! you can go to Gennaro for any occasion, it's a present for yourself! do it and go!!!Special Features:
- WONDERFUL!!!LoyalFoodieDined on 9/30/2014The attention we received upon arrival was efficient and pleasant. The host had a big smile as well as a man, which later we found out to be our server. The ambiance was serene and classic. The food, OH THE FOOD WAS AMAZING!!! Our server did us justice on helping us decide on a bottle of wine, we were very indecisive & he was knowledgeable. . If not mistaken, he had tables downstairs as well us upstairs. (we were upstairs, beautiful night view!) That being said, it was not to busy of a night, maybe about 6 tables, but our server was very attentive and made sure we had all we needed (extra bread of course!) Overall, great atmosphere and wonderful people! Would definitely recommend for a causal & formal dinner.Special Features:
- Good overallCallieBananaDined on 9/27/2014We had made advanced reservations for my birthday and our upcoming anniversary. We were a bit disturbed by the lack of professionalism from the greeting staff. We arrived early and were told that this was good because they were overbooked. We felt like we were under the watchful eye of the front line staff, wondering how quickly they would hurry us along. Being near the door as people milled in and out did not give us the intimate and celebratory atmosphere we had hoped for. We felt like just another party of four. The server seemed to hover. We enjoyed our meals but it isn't likely we will return since we have had better dining experiences in several other North End restaurants. We ended up going elsewhere for dessert and coffee.Special Features:
- A night at GennarojimwalpoleDined on 9/20/2014Wonderful setting next store to Paul Revere's house in a quaint section of the North End. Terrific meal and Chicken Marcella was delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 9/13/2014With so many excellent Italian restaurants in the North End, this one is less than a footnote. Fresh pasta, but bland sauces, indifferent processed bread, and prices out of proportion to the poor quality. I won't need to try it a second time.
- Unique Italian experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/13/2014From the moment we arrived the experience was terrific. We've visited there many times but now there were vegan and vegetarian option to please all in our party. The tomato sorbet was so unique and wonderful. It was light and sweet and unexpededly delightful. The servings were plentiful. I would recommend sitting upstairs as it gets noisy by the door. So worth the trip in town!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Second time hereGreen2Dined on 9/6/2014We went here again and there were 4 of us. Three of us LOVED our meals, the 4th one not so much. He got the eggplant and it was pretty tasteless. Everything else was good though. The martini's were watery so I would probably recommend beer or wine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, but priceyOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/30/2014Had Lasagna-- very good, but very small portion and nothing came with it except bread, oil and water--$24. Hubie had veal parmesan. Again very good, but small cutlet with a small side of pasta for about the same price. I've had great Italian elsewhere in the North End with much more food and lower prices. Hence, the reason I'd not advise others to go to Genaro's.Special Features:
- Terrific Authentic ItalianNjnetsfanVIPDined on 8/27/2014First time the family and I visited Gennaro's at 5 North Square in Boston. We have been to Italy and frequently dine at the finest restaurants in NYC. Gennaro's is a terrific find in Boston's North End. The service, Food and Ambiance are all First Class. Absolutely The BestSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Veeeeery nice!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/23/2014Well the food was delicious and it came out very beautifully plated the calamari was Crisp and yummy very fresh and the rice balls appetizer was served with thinly sliced squashes with a vinaigrette on the side, pasta was homemade! everything was lovely ! our service impeccable and on the way out our group we even met the chef who was outside. Then of course after lunch I saw a Groupon the next day for brunch I will definitely be using it!!Special Features:
- Great Meal in The North EndBobthebuilderVIPDined on 8/16/2014We had "Chicken on the Brick" and the "Chicken Marsala". Both were perfectly prepared. I would highly recommend this restaurant and it's only a block off Hanover Street!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nice placeDCTarheel78VIPDined on 8/9/2014this is a great spot for a low key dinner in the North end. The menu was nice, and the food was pretty good, but service was painfully slow.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Over rated.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/9/2014In a sea of authentic amazing small family owned restaurants, this is the Americanized "McDonalds" of the North End. It seems to be self promoted and very over rated on several review websites (esp Urban Spoon) Do not fall victim of their inflated marketing. Good was a HUGE disappointment compared to the sea of amazing eateries surrounding this place. Word of mouth way to choose in thee North End.
- Gem Among GemsRobertoDined on 8/9/2014There are a number of great choices for fine Italian dining in the. North End and I'm glad we chose Genaros. It's just off the bustle of Hanover on North Sq. overlooking a small park. We had a great upstairs view. The service was excellent on a busy Sat evening and we were well attended to. The wine choices were good and the food was fabulous...Caesar salad, spaghetti w mamas Sunday gravy and meatballs...like home....and Veal Marsala we will be thinking about until our next visit. Reservations recommended.Special Features:
- PeterVIPDined on 8/7/2014One can always be sure of a great meal when Marisa is charge of the kitchen and this prooved true again on our 4th visit to Gennaro's 5 North. The restaurant is very attractive and the food delicious. I would advise asking for a 2nd floor table as it is quieter and more intimate. The view is of quaint North Square, away from the hubbub of Hanover St. The waitstaff is experienced, pleasant and knowledgeable about the menu. The wine list has a good selection and besides the usual division based on color it is grouped by price with several bottles at each level, making it easier to find a wine to fit your budget. You can count on great experience when dining at Gennaro'sSpecial Features:
- ButchVIPDined on 8/7/2014The food was not anything special. The veal was tough. Gnocchi was bland. The waitress was very nice and attentive. Desserts were good.
- NanjDined on 8/3/2014Can't say enough about this restaurant. The food is wonderful and the staff is very knowledgeable. Have never been disappointed each time we dined there. The fresh pasta was delicious and my husband and I had different fish dishes that were so good I ordered it again when we went back. Would definitely recommend this restaurant. The restaurant is decorated very tastefully. Loved it!Special Features:
- IncredibleAnthony13Dined on 8/2/2014The experience here was incredible!. Gennaro's has a very nice homey, classic Italian feel to it. I went with a date to have dinner, the ambiance was perfect for a quiet romantic dinner. The service was superb and our waiter was the best, his recommendations on food were delicious and spot on to what we were looking for. Best Italian food I have had so far!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great neighborhood placeOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/1/2014Great food!! Nice view onto quiet square, great waiter! We had a lot of fun!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 402 reviews are from the Gennaro's 5 North Square reviews archive.
- Loved the foodCorrieDined on 7/21/2014This is our third time going to Gennaro's, first time for dinner. The food was wonderful and our service was outstanding. We have been in the past for lunch and couldn't wait to try dinner, we were happy with our choice.Special Features:
- Time to Go?!?EC2014Dined on 7/19/2014The food was good. But being told they needed the table for other reservations after we were there for 1 hour is unacceptable service. There are better restaurants in the neighborhoodSpecial Features: