Gennaro's 5 North Square
5 North Square
Boston, MA 02113Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
Gennaro's 5 North Square
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.5northsquare.com/
- Phone: 6177201050
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday - Thursday: 12:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 12:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Marisa Iocco
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar/Lounge, Beer, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, View, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Gennaro's 5 North Square is an excellent location for business meetings, special occasions and Holiday Parties. We have two dining rooms that can accommodate from 25 to 65 guests. Gennaro's is situated in a gorgeous 19th century building overlooking enchanting North Square, the oldest square in America, former home to Paul Revere and the earliest Italian settlers to Boston. Our menu boasts of traditional home style Italian cooking, made with the freshest ingredients available, prepared by Chef Aldo. Audio visual equipment is available upon request. We look forward to having you dine with us!
- Private Party Contact: linda riccio 6177201050
- Special Events: Great spot for all your special events.
A word from Gennaro's 5 North Square
Welcome to Gennaro's 5 North Square, located in Boston's historic North End. The restaurant is under the management of Gennaro, who brought you the Caffe Vittoria,Florentine Cafe and Stanza dei Sigari. Gennaro's is located at 5 North Square the oldest square in America, a quite retreat located steps from busy Hanover Street. With it's cobblestone streets and gas lamposts, North Square is one of the most romantic spots in the North End and Boston. The cuisine at Gennaro's is traditional Italian home cooking with fresh seafood specialties served daily. We would love to have you visit us at Gennaro's and look forward to serving you!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Gennaro's 5 North Square reviews from OpenTable diners
43 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (22)romantic (17)special occasion (13)fit for foodies (13)scenic view (12)good for groups (8)great for lunch (5)notable wine list (5)late-night find (3)kid-friendly (1)hot spot (1)Show More
- nothing specialOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 3/29/2014especially since they totally ignored my note about not giving us a table near the door.
- Great foodBabsDined on 3/21/2014Dinner was excellent and so was the decor of the restaurant, much bigger than other small restaurants in north end. Live around corner and will definitely be backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A piece of Italy in BostonDcmattVIPDined on 3/18/2014It was like getting off a plane and stepping into a family run Italian restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Was expecting moreChrisVIPDined on 3/15/2014I found the food at Genaro's good, but nothing to write home about and certainly not of the level I was expecting. Service was a bit slow, but attentive and eventually picked up. A good meal, but would try somewhere else next time.I would recommend this to a friend.
- I Shall Return!JimmyDined on 3/15/2014Brought friends from California into the North End for a special nite. Nobody was disappointed. Service was attentive, not overbearing. The food was delicious (I had the gnocchi.....mmmmm). My friend had the house red wine (something I never order), but it was so surprisingly good, I ended up ordering a glass as well (umm, two, actually). I figured it would be very good (after all, Italian in the North End....!), but it exceeded my expectations. Great location, too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- North End GemAustinfoodieVIPDined on 3/13/2014Gennaro's chef is Italian born, who puts a modern twist on authentic recipes. We started with the mescullin greens which featured wine poached pears, sweet and spicy nuts, and a fantastic vinegarette, It was enough for my husband and I to share. The generous portion of ossobucco was delicious and the fried polenta cake on it yummy and not greasy. Two of the diners at the table had the lasagna of the day, one with marinara sauce and one with Bolognese. Both were good, but I preferred the the meaty Bolognese which has a touch of cream in it. The fourth diner had the gnocci with the Bolognese and the gnocci were light and tender. The bottle of their label valpolicella was excellent. We were too full for dessert, but they looked divine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- North End offers much betterCraigBVIPDined on 3/8/2014The service was awful. We waiting over an hour between finishing our salads and receiving our main courses. What made the wait even worse is that after all of that time, one of our meals was cold but by this point we just ate a little of it, shared the other meal (rigatoni and sunday gravy was very good) and will eat the chicken parm for leftover when it can be heated. The restaurant should also consider printing the specials since our waiter was unintelligible even after we asked him to repeat the specials twice. Overall, the food was good (but there is much better in the North End) but we would go elsewhere next time.
- North End GemPrimaDonnaVIPDined on 3/8/2014We visited Gennaro's at 5 North Square and loved it. Unlike a lot of Northeand restaurants the tables were far enough apart to actually have a conversation and not feel closed in or listening to your neighbor's conversations. The food was outstanding, my husband had the lobster ravioli and it came with clams, mussels, and scollaps as well - a bountiful meal. Our waiter, Muniro, couldn't have been more accomodating. We will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice, Not specialangelajustineDined on 3/7/2014I enjoyed my overall experience very much. The grilled vegetable appetizer was excellent. My bread pudding was the perfect ending to the meal. The other food was good, but really nothing special. I found the sauce to be a bit on the sweet side and the bread was average. I loved the atmosphere and the view, however. I would consider coming back and would recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We went for lunch and pricesMiaKateDined on 3/1/2014We went for lunch and prices were reasonable. Service was great! Wine was awesome! The wine was their own label from Italy, not for resale...yet. Food was awesome! The Chicken Parm was the only reason I did not give them a five star. Chicken Parm was a little bland. All the other dishes were five star. Dessert was out of this world...we had the Vanilla Bread Pudding. I am not much of a bread pudding lover, but this was fantastic! Would definately go there again...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Taste of the old world!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/28/2014The food, ambience and service were outstanding. Reasonably priced! The menu is a bit limited but all items (been there numerous times) are splendid. Wait staff makes you feel special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fav North End Italian restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/22/2014I look fwd to going here every time I'm in Boston. Lot's of old Boston flair and food is excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious Italian foodBrazucaDined on 2/16/2014Parking may be an issue. The food was excellent. The calamari was Not greasy as in other restaurants. The plank with vegetables was delicious. The nut and dried fruit bread was a 10. The fish was very fresh and tasty. I would go there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/14/2014Great for dates. Definitely worth going. Food is amazing, ambience romantic, it's perfect.Special Features:
- Beautiful place, great food.DomenicDined on 2/14/2014I originally decided on Gennaros on a whim (as I'm pretty sure at this point we've eaten everywhere else in the North End) and I'm so glad I did. The food was outstanding, the service (Zac and Francesco specifically) was quick, professional and friendly, and the atmosphere was intimate and not too busy - definitely not what I'm used to on valentines day in the north end. Definitely will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good ChoiceReiffVIPDined on 2/8/2014I was in Boston on business and did not want to miss out on the food of the reputable North section. I was a single diner so I had my choice among many resturants despite a very crowded night. The history, location, service, and variety was pleasing to me. I found Gennaro's to fit my hopes for an evening of walking about and eating! In Gennaro's that night were groups of 4-8, many families dressed for a cold evening in Boston. I would go back...for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My wifes fiftyith birthday!RickDined on 2/8/2014Waitress was very over booked . Constantly apologizing for not getting back to us in time for our order . At no point did she take into consideration the special note I put into the reservation about needing anything special for my wifes birthday ! I cut dinner short to find another setting to celebrate this once in a lifetime night!Special Features:
- Moderately Priced - Good FoodNancDined on 2/7/2014Nice atmosphere, great service and very good food. This restaurant is moderately priced and is a fine choice in this category of restaurants.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Authentic Italian at it's best.....OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 2/1/2014My wife and I have been dining here for 21 years now. Athough we have loved this restaurant in the past, we loved it even more this time.With a new Executive Chef and personable General Manager, Gennaro's 5 North Square is the best kept secret in the North End that won't be a secret for long......The food was absolutely amazing. The traditional favorites, lasagna and manicotti were wonderful. The homemade ricotta really enhanced the dishes. Also, they recently launched their own brand of wine. What a great addition to the meal as well. Normally, I save room to stop at Mike's Pastries for a cannoli, however, this time, I tried the Tiramisu at the recommendation of our server.OMG. It really was the best I've ever eaten..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Saturday Night SpecialCar54Dined on 1/25/2014There are lots of good places in the North End, and sometimes one feels a little rushed, but even on Saturday night you can enjoy a relaxed dinner at Gennaro's. The Mushroom Torte was exquisite, and after a salad (great anchovies) half of my main course was lunch the next day. Great food in a pleasant environment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great!OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 1/25/2014Lovely find. Food is memorable and service excellent. Friendly atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- almost excellentFanOfFnWDined on 1/11/2014We loved the location, the decor was charming, and the first floor where we ate our early dinner made for nice cafe ambiance. The food was excellent. My wine selection paired well with the meal. The staff members were nice, but there's room for improvement on performance. The server didn't know which entree went to whom (there were only two of us), and the table could have been neatened prior to dessert. I ordered a double espresso and got a single. I then ordered coffee which came luke warm. With a little effort all of these shortcomings could be overcome.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gennaro's has delicious foodMichelleDined on 1/4/2014Gennaro's has delicious food and excellent service! We can't wait to go back!Special Features:
- NYE dinnerportlandiaDined on 12/31/2013Ate NYE dinner here. Food was great. Generous portions and innovative dishes. The mushroom torta was unique and very tasty. Pasta was homemade and flavorful. Extensive wine list. Service was great. Chef made rounds in the dining room to see how we liked our dinner. Overall a marvelous north end experience. Highly recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No returnZoeCDined on 12/31/2013We dined at Gennaro's 5 North Square New Year's Eve . We were a party of 4 and no one liked their food . Sauce on pasta dishes tasted liked it was purchased at supermarket . No flavor !!! Veal and lamb were not good..would not return to this restaurant . There are so many great restaurants in north end but this is not one of them..
- Sadly mediocre.kgreenDined on 12/27/2013Embarrassed that I suggested this to 2 out of town guests & 2 we had never met. Only upside was okay food&service, but only average & outweighed by the downsides. Staff was unhelpful & inexperienced (pointed in the gen'l direction of the bar, which isn’t obvious and not helpful as we looked for it, pointed again & said it was thru the service galley); bar was too bright & out of the Italian white that I ordered; no plain vodka or scotch served; loud street musicians playing in a small area when being seated (making for uncomfortable conversation); those wanting a 2nd flavored Dewars (which they had at the bar) had to yell over musicians to spell it for waiter who didn’t know what it was. Overall, slow service&average food. We won’t be back.
- A True Gem in Boston's North EndChablisDined on 12/16/2013Executive Chef Marisa Iocco is brilliant. Her food never disappoints, has perfectly balanced flavors and vegetarians can find or ask for alternatives as everything is made to order. The restaurant also offers a Gluten free menu upon request, if you have that concern. Your palate can taste the time and effort put into each dish. Chef Iocco's creations are just magical. I'm looking forward to trying their newly offered brunch. We have been customers there since 2009 and to date Chef Iocco is their best chef. For dessert, make sure to try Chef Iocco's vanilla or chocolate bread pudding she created. I've never had anything like it anywhere. You will love dining there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time we went to thisOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 12/12/2013First time we went to this restaurant that was recommended by a friend. It is definitely our new favorite in the north end. Food was delicious and reasonably priced. We will be back!!Special Features:
- Wonderful Evening!BettyLouDined on 12/7/2013This was our second visit to Gennaro's, our first being a walk-in with large group of out-of-town guests over the Thanksgiving weekend. Both meals were outstanding. The food is wonderful, the service friendly and expert, the location is great, and the decor is simple and lovely. We will return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delivered on acclaimhudsonohiodadDined on 12/7/2013Just off too-busy Hanover which makes it feel like a real find. Warm lighting and cozy feel. Great bread but would have liked pepper flakes and salt and herbs sprinkled in the EVOO which was a bit too bland on its own. Requested some. Split chicken parm and ceasar with son. Both outstanding. Nice wine selections. Attentive service but son was guzzling water so had to ask for more a couple times. Noise level very goodfor anyone that likes to talk over dinner. Owner very visible near hostess station. Might have been cool if she introduced herself to tables given small size of room would take 3 minutes. She may do it. Would go back next trip. Want to see what upstairs dining room looks like. Great special occasion restaurant, big date, etc.Special Features:
- We had a very eclectic groupAwesomeDined on 12/7/2013We had a very eclectic group of 6 people, all foodies, all of whom could not stop talking about the fabulous food and unbelievable service. The atmosphere and location are outstanding and there is something on the menu for everyone. This restaurant has it all at very affordable prices!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gennaro's is excellent!SuburbanDined on 11/29/2013Gennaro's 5 North Square is one of the very best North End dining spots. The chef is relatively famous, and for good reason. All of our meals were excellent, and the service was notably good. We'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food was outstanding butLolitaVIPDined on 11/23/2013The food was outstanding but unfortunately our waiter was not. Thankfully I had other great experiences other than this one, so I would definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Second Time Still a CharmfirstgirlDined on 11/14/2013Our second time at this restaurant and they didn't disappoint. Even though we were the only diners for a little while until more showed up I didn't feel uncomfortable. The food was just delicious and we will probably return. Also there are a ton of restaurants in the North End but this one you must try. Linguini with fish was amazing. Lasagna outstanding and the Ravoli very rich and delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- recommendedasdfDined on 10/24/2013I am from out of town and asked a business associate for Italian recommendations in the North End. This was one of three and I am glad this was first on his list. Food was great, service was very attentive but they did not rush. They recommended a nice bottle of chianti for $45. You won't be dissappointedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go somewhere elseSilvergirlDined on 10/18/2013Although the location is good (in North End, but away from the busiest street) I would not recommend this restaurant. The bread was unpleasant. The sauce on my ravioli tasted (to borrow another reviewer's words) like Campbell's soup - cream-of-something. Chicken parmesan was very unremarkable. Rather bland, not at all complex or interesting. Service was slow and neglectful. Bill was quite high. Restaurant is not in the same class as it should be for those prices. Go somewhere else!
- Love Gennaro's!Bosox8Dined on 10/18/2013We go to Gennaro's every time we come to Boston. The food and service are always good and we find the menu outstanding. Highly recommended!Special Features:
- 90 minute wait for foodConnieJDined on 8/31/2013We had a 7:30 reservation and were seated promptly. After that, nothing was prompt. We sat for 20 minutes before anyone even came to our table with water or to take a drink order. Too much more time passed before our order was taken. I ordered a salad but no one else in our party ordered an appetizer. Still, despite the simplicity if our order, no entrees arrived until 9:00 - I felt sorry for my companions who sat for 90 minutes with only a single bread slice- didn't even get drink refills. Food was good, but poor service ensured we will try other North End places rather than return here.
- Great hidden gemOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/30/2013The food was fantastic, wait staff fabulous and great historic location, too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Second time and never againYRUL84TVIPDined on 8/29/2013Had such a good first time, I booked again for later in the week. Total disaster. No spoon arrived with soup then came a TEASPOOON. Gazpacho was garnished with pickled hot peppers and veggies from a jar; overpowreing vinegar in dish. Shimp and rigatoni was superb on a Tuesday and a mess days later. Served in wrong dish with a deep pool of liquid at bottom.Service so slow at lunchtime that we had to have desserts packed to go and fled the joint. If it's so inconsistent that ranges from excellent one day, awful another, I can't risk returning!