Genji Japanese Steakhouse
27145 S. Karevich Dr
Novi, MI 48377Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $30 and under
Genji Japanese Steakhouse
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.genjinovi.com/
- Phone: 2483806881
- Hours of Operation:
Mon-Thurs: 4:00pm - 11:00pm
Fri-Sat: 4:00pm - 12:00am
Sun: 4:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Steakhouse, Asian
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Genji has the ability to drop dividers from the ceiling, to create a more private dining experience. Subject to availability.
- Private Party Contact: Ask for Peter LaRosa 2483806881
- Entertainment: Skilled and entertaining Teppanyaki Chefs as well as a piano within the bar.
- Special Events: Genji has the ability to offer a specialized menu for your special event. We can help you deliver what you and your guests want in a special event. For more information on planning your special event at Genji, call 248.380.6881 and ask for Peter LaRosa.
A word from Genji Japanese Steakhouse
Upscale Japanese Steakhouse that also offers a full service bar, sushi lounge and casual dining. Chefs entertain in this social atmosphere on state of the art Teppanyaki tables. Serving the finest steaks and freshest sushi, Genji offers incredible cuisine in a visually stimulating environment. Can accommodate large groups as well as romantic dinners for two.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Genji Japanese Steakhouse reviews from OpenTable diners
- OutstandingKristalDined on 8/28/2013Loved it, better than Beni who?...Genji has ranch dressing and salad options. Staff was professional and classy. The filet was of better quality. Thanks for opening in Novi.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Michael, our waiter, was wonderful!canlady441Dined on 8/24/2013The food was excellent. We will try the tempanaki table next time. Michael gave us great service and the hostesses and manager are always delightful. We went with friends and they enjoyed it so much that they are recommending Genji for their company parties.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The chef was not entertainingjohnDined on 8/24/2013The chef was not entertaining and had problems with equipment and tools or lack there of. The food was extremely bland and the only two sauces you get where bland as well. Need to really kick up the experience and offer many unique blends of sauces.
- Chef was great!ZZmeow7Dined on 8/15/2013We had a chef, Teck, and he was very good. All food cooked was excellent, and he entertained and engaged us. We had the table to ourselves in late evening on weekday, which was great cuz it was our 21st Anniversary. The only thing I didn't care for was that my husband asked for a box for his food, but I was not done. When the waiter came with the boxes, he assumed I was done as well and boxed up my food without asking me if I was done, and he didn't ask if I was done either. Otherwise, it was a good experience, and I would go again, but it is not cheap. Expect to pay over $30 per person (with nonalcoholic drinks).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Diningfoodie23Dined on 8/6/2013We had a great friendly server named Josh. If I had been starving, I would have been in trouble, the steak pieces were what you would make your child eat for dinner before leaving the table. I will say that the Miso soup was the only part of our meal we thought was good food. Seating in the booth did not allow a dining experience without a stranger hearing your entire conversation. Josh was attentive & gave us the best experience, I tipped him fabulously and left hungry because the rice would have been the most filling part of the meal and the tons of garlic & 10 frozen vegetables just didn't seem to help it. Not good at all, 2 stars is being very kind
- Genji Japanese Steakhouse, NoviOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/4/2013Excellent choice for a special occasion. You can chose to have the food cooked in front of you. The chef kept it lively and entertaining. The sushi was great and they have an early bird menu with discount pricing. The lobster bisque was fantastic. Went late afternoon and was seated right away. My family had a great time.Special Features:
- 2nd time, still a charm.dvdptr1VIPDined on 8/2/2013This was my 2nd time @ Genji, and once again, I really enjoyed my meal. We had the tappanaki style (Japanese steak house table style), and the chef was entertaining, and the food was outstanding. Fried Rice course, shrimp and vegetable (Broccolini, red pepper, and mushroom) course, followed by your main course. I had the Filet Mignon and it was perfectly cooked (medium rare) and lightly seasoned. Prices are about what you'd expect for a Japanese Steakhouse. It's a good deal with the pre-courses, and the entertainment from the chef. If I was to fault the restaurant for anything, it's large open floor plan, multiple dining styles sacrifices a bit of ambiance, but don't let that deter you from going. The food more than offsets that.Special Features:
- OKOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/26/2013It was ok. Cool fixtures and atmosphere, mediocre food, decent service. We had sushi which was decent, nothing special.Special Features:
- Novi's Best Dining ExperienceNovidinerDined on 7/26/2013Fantastic sushi and overall A-list quality food with a nice wine selection. But best of all is the atmosphere. Soft background music of Sinatra, Bennett and Cline really add a cusual elegance to the already wonderful surroundings in this restaurant. My wife and I love it. Great food, great ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun times - priceySmithdineDined on 7/25/2013We had a party of 12 Hibachi Grill. Our server was friendly, and tried to keep is filled with beverages. The floor was short handed and he had 3 tables spread across the restraunt which was hard for him. Chef was fun, he did a few tricks for the kids. We ate shrimp, beef filet, sea bass, scallops and sushi. Sushi was ok, it was not as god as others near bye. All food was really good, sea bass -amazing, scallops good, only 4 pcs, pricey. Shrimp was overcooked a bit tough. Overall it was a well rounded place. No alcohol and our bill was $410.00 So be prepared to spend a few hours, we arrived at 7:30 and walked out at 10:00 pmSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We easily made a reservationOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/25/2013We easily made a reservation on their website and were seated promptly. We wanted to sit at the table where the chef cooks your meal in front of you. It was not overly busy and we were the only 3 at our table. We had a waiter who attended to all our drink needs and he was very helpful in answering all of my questions. There is a large selection of drinks and a very adequate menu for the tepanyaki dinners. We all chose a steak, 2 filet and one ribeye. All were done to perfection. You get a lot of food with the dinner, soup, salad, appetizer, vegetables meat and rice. I loved the fried rice. And as much as I love salt, the meal was not drowning in salt as it is in other places. My only negative comment is that the drinks are pricey.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 11th Anniversary CelebrationWoosta44Dined on 7/20/2013Me and my wife had a table to ourselves. Our server was Josh and our chief was Smokey. The both of them where friendly and they did an excellent job. Your steakhouse is one of the best places that I have ever dined.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great StaffEcstaticDined on 7/20/2013I am not sure if we got lucky or if the staff has been re-vamped because when I read the reviews for this restaurant, most people loved the food but said the staff wasn't overly professional. We had all around excellent experience: great food, great ambiance, but mostly incredible staff. Tong was our teppanyaki chef and he was super funny and social. He prepared excellent meals. Our waitress was Renae and she was very attentive and made sure that our waters were filled and we had everything we needed at all times. Finally, we had a manager Brad stop by and check up on us several times to ensure that we were taken care of.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderful eveningstaceyDined on 7/19/2013We enjoyed our Dinner at Genji's. The interior decorations are tastefully done and the atmosphere is enjoyable with live music on the Friday we were there. Our food presentation was artistic and typical of what you expect from nicer Japanese resturants. Everything was fresh and tasty. I have seen some hot snd cold service reviews but on the evening we were there service was prompt.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversay DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/18/2013My wife and I went to Genji for a wedding anniversary dinner. The restaurant is absolutely beautiful. The service personnel were extremely friendly and competent. They never missed an opportunity to ask how we were doing and how was our food and dining experience. Just great service. The food was excellent and reasonably priced. This place is still an undiscovered gem, but won't be for long!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food great....long waits at table..mhutterDined on 7/9/2013We did the teppenyaki table, as this our favorite. We really enjoyed our chef and the food. The place was pretty empty but it WAS a Tuesday night...we were a little concerned about them being able to make it. We had a very nice and attentive waiter at first, but after our meal was over we had HUGE waits to get our boxes for leftovers and our bill...like ridiculously long waits. Our waiter apologized on several occasions and explained how understaffed they were. Needless to say, it left a bad taste in our mouth about returning again. The food was good enough to return, but there are 2 other Japanese Steakhouses we like in the area too, without the service issue. We just HOPE they get better at staffing.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Would not go to againOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/7/2013Wife and I went for our anniversary, ordered drinks out of Bud Light, strike one. Next we order the lobster tempera, we are told they are checking to see if they have enough lobster to make it. As we are waiting to see if we can get our appetizer we are told the special is a dish with lobster tails!? REALLY lobster is the special but none for an appetizer, strike two. The combination of the not great entrees and having to wait for additional bread and drinks was strike three....
- Broad menu selectionOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/29/2013Offers so many options under one aesthetically pleasing roof between Sushi Bar, Hibatchi, Bar Service and Table Service. Beautifully done.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice ambienceABoadaDined on 6/29/2013We loved the food we ask for. We loved that the waiter didn't come every five minutes to ask how is food or if we want something else. This is something that we appreciate a lot. Most restaurants have the wrong "customer service" concept. The only thing that needs to improve is the waiter staff. We saw our food passing by three times our table because they didn't know who ask for it. In general, is our latest discovery and we will highly recommend the restaurant. We loved the music!!! Thank you for a special night!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ChefPajinaDined on 6/29/2013On first impression the dineing room was out fitted with beautiful tables and art. I liked very much that our party of 6 did not have to share a table with other couples. The menu had a lot to offer and the food was very good. Faves were the ginger dressing and chicken. The chef was personable and talented. He cooked us a great dinner with great, not too much, conversation. We will go back again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Genji dining experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/28/2013We enjoyed the excellent food and we had an engaging waitress, Jamie. She made our meal memorable by being helpful and making some thoughtful suggestions regarding the menu. The sushi was ridiculously fresh and our lobster teppanyaki was delicious. My wife and I both agreed we would dine here again and bring friends or family.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New and ExcitingchowhoundDined on 6/27/2013Having been to this restaurant location in one of its previous lives, we weren't ready to be very surprised. Instead, we were pleasantly surprised and impressed. Very attractive, lots of natural materials and pleasing, attractive decor. The service was excellent-waiter attentive but not intrusive. He was also knowledgeable and offered suggestions and when asked, opinions. Menu was varied and anyone could find something that appealed to them, whether asian, steak, fowl, seafood, Presentation was attractive, food arrived hot, and timely. Food was inventive, and excellent. We knew we'd be back soon. Manager made the rounds to tables inquiring about food, service and experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful!LoLoDined on 6/26/2013Genji was the perfect spot for celebrating my daughter's 10 birthday. Love the atmosphere and table layouts. Didn't feel crowded or rushed like the other popular Japanese Steakhouse. Awesome! Would definitely go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Service!KFranDined on 6/23/2013This was a great restaurant! I would recommend this to anyone who loves good food and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Batchelor PartyCraigDined on 6/22/2013Food was great and received great service from the cook (Tong), waitress and manager. This place is very relaxing. The only complaint would be to have a few more TV's.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Try Harder...OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 6/17/2013Went in night after Father's Day and given how slow things appeared, one would assume this would translate into efficient service - wrong. The server took more than 15-mins to get drinks & disappeared for long lengths thru the service. After taking our order, waiter informed us that the Sea Bass was out....so ordered Salmon...he came back after ~10 mins to inform us they were out of Salmon too! They eventually solved the mess somehow. We also ordered a side of Scallops which never made it to us. They gave free dessert as a consolation. The bill took forever to get to us, and dishes were not cleared quickly enough. Also, when i asked the hostess (since server was MIA) for a to-go box, she gave me attitude for bothering her.
- Worst meal experience everOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 6/16/2013This was a terrible choice for father's day dinner. After 2 hours only 2 out of 6 of us had our dinners and even the 2 dinners we had were missing key things (like the rice!). Our really bad waitress was nowhere to be found and every employee we talked with made an excuse about how whatever we were asking about wasn't their job. I spoke with the manager twice to get the food we did get and finally went back to speak with the manager again only to find out that there was a different real manager. We finally left without paying - with the manager's blessing. Oh, and the food we did get was not good. My pork tepanaki ordered medium rare was way over cooked.
- Food and atmosphere were veryOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/16/2013Food and atmosphere were very good ... service was fairly slow, start to finish. However, we do recommend Genji and WOULD go back, for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but not greatLauracVIPDined on 6/16/2013It's very pretty inside and large. We sat in the sushi bar. Service was a bit slow, especially when we were waiting to get our bill. Sushi was good but we've had better. To be fair, they have a large menu and we thought it may be worth it to try something else another time.Special Features:
- GeneralBettyDined on 6/12/2013Service was a bit slow even though restaurant was not crowded. Food was good.Special Features:
- We eat here all the time for72of500VIPDined on 6/11/2013We eat here all the time for the sushi. Rainbow, Premium Spicy California, Royal and Crunchy Tuna Rolls are all great. These are hand made works of art so order some drinks, relax, engage in conversation with your group and have fun...Special Features:
- A nice surprise!DorilmVIPDined on 6/7/2013Gengi was such a nice surprise. It has everything you could want. It's truly a place for an overall dining experience. Everything was better than expected. I have HIGH EXPECTATIONS and they exceeded it on our trip. It was much more casual than it seems and super comfortable.Special Features:
- Wonderful meal. Great atmosphere.ramjacconsulting333VIPDined on 6/4/2013Awesome service. Great timeliness in all aspects. Drinks were tasty. Food was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- slow to get food. Gordon RamseymattdlcDined on 6/1/2013slow to get food. Gordon Ramsey would shut it down because of food was delivered to slow, everyone at the table complained about it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved everything (BUT the server)KJL123Dined on 6/1/2013Both our Chef & the food was EXCELLENT! Our main server on the other hand... very dry & UNenthusiastic, thought he was going to fall asleep right in front of us. Had to continuously hunt him down for refills on beverages and then for the bill when it was time to go. Generous tip was left ONLY because we hoped it would be shared with the chef at our table. Would have given 5 stars had it not been for him. Will definitely go back (but ask to be moved to another section if we get this guy again).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Coming back again soon!NovidinerDined on 5/31/2013When you pair the food with the ambience this restaurant rates at the top of the list. Great open and warm floor plan. Not too noisy and super backgraound music from Sinatra, Bennett, etc. The bar surounds a baby grand piano and is a very comfotable sit while listening to the music or enjoying a drink or meal. You won't be dissappointed. If you like sushi try the Novi Roll.....it's fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- can't wait to go back!FawFarmDined on 5/30/2013I enjoyed a great dinner! Food was amazing...way better than other Japanese Steakhouses. The chef was friendly and made all food to specific orders. The martinis were also unique and yummy!! :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Evening With Family!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/29/2013We went to Genji for our son's 13th Birthday and everyone made him feel very special, especially our Chef Brandon and Server LaMetra. Staff is friendly, the chef was outgoing, and the food choices for Hibachi was like none we have ever seen. They have non- Hibachi menu and sushi as well and even a more private section of Hibachi tables. Unique drinks are available as well, the "respect your elders" was worth the $10.00 price tag. I also noticed how well all the staff works together. They appear to enjoy their jobs and it showed out in the dinning room.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A little lackingSmurfyDined on 5/19/2013We chose this restaurant specifically because we were bringing our two children. The food was good and prepared well, but the chef lacked in entertainment. We have been to other Japanese Steakhouses that were much more entertaining. Also the server was very slow to pick up our dishes, which meant the whole area was cluttered. They were not that busy so I am not sure why the service was slow.Special Features:
- Ok food but definitely over-pricedOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/18/2013The food was decent. Some of the stuff we tried was excellent, like the ribeye my husband had. The sushi was hit or miss, I like one if the rolls I had but the other one was too salty with no real flavor. The food was definitely way I over priced for the quality.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.