General Assembly Restaurant & Bar
360 Park Avenue South
New York, NY 10010Neighborhood:
Gramercy / Flatiron
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
General Assembly Restaurant & Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.generalassemblyrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 2129517111
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
Tuesday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm
Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: European, American, French
- Executive Chef: Craig Koketsu
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from General Assembly Restaurant & Bar
General Assembly Restaurant & Bar is a casually sophisticated market-driven grill located at 360 Park Avenue South, one block east of Madison Square Park by partners Craig Koketsu (Park Avenue, Quality Meats) and Michael Stillman. The 170-seat restaurant features a European-inspired menu utilizing local and seasonal ingredients.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
General Assembly Restaurant & Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
244 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (127)good for groups (127)special occasion (98)neighborhood gem (88)hot spot (76)vibrant bar scene (66)great for lunch (55)romantic (53)notable wine list (49)great for brunch (24)late-night find (12)kid-friendly (7)scenic view (4)Show More
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 8/30/2014As someone who has dined at several Fourth Wall restaurants over the years, I found this addition to be lacking in several areas. Although our servers were courteous and attentive, I felt as they were not trained in some of the basics of waiting. What I found even more disappointing was the poor quality of meats that wre served. My steak was grizzled all around and not tender at all. My wife's pork chop was a quarter fat, which she needed to cut off. For a Restaurant Group that boast several steak houses, they lacked quality at this new restaurant.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/27/2014Limited menu. Have gone here twice and tried the chicken once. It's kind of absurd that the roast chicken doesn't come with a side. While the chicken is good, the lack of a side makes the meal incomplete. I also tried the grilled Branzino. Very tasty. One thing that is frustrating is that you cannot substitute sides. I don't eat potatoes and I was told I couldn't substitute the potatoes for broccoli and that I had to pay $10 for a side of broccoli. Kinda annoying to deal with! Good food but the service isn't remotely noteworthySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Everything was great except...Cali2NycDined on 8/22/2014Came with my parents and some friends and everything was great, ambience, wine, food...except for the prices we were paying I expected my Dad's chicken to be Fully cooked. He didn't finish it but I had it for lunch the next day and it still was a little red. Chicken needs to be cooked all the way. Other than that, asparagus, broccoli, salmon, was good and rabbit (friends order) was worth trying....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- erin's birthday!OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/20/2014We had a wonderful family dinner here this week. Service was excellant and the food amazing. Don't miss the sampler dip platter and those little rolls are fantastic. All food was great. And the cocktails wonderful. A little pricey but worth it. looking forward to going back!!Special Features:
- Excellent Food and ServiceMikeDVIPDined on 8/20/2014My first visit to this restaurant. The food was outstanding, service attentive and the spacious seating and moderate noise level made conversation possible. Will return!Special Features:
- Another good restaurantmissmannersDined on 8/16/2014I was hoping for a new Park Avenue Cafe, but it wasn't to be. The food is very good. The cocktails are imaginative, even to the vessels that contain them. The kitchen is slow. The acoustics are awful. The room is very attractive (although table cloths would make it more so and perhaps cut down on the annoying din.). I went back twice, hoping for better, but it's another one of a hundred post-recession- tailored- to -the- young places.... mostly focused on drink and snack food. On both visits I had the roasted beets with ginger-citrus yogurt.... delicious and quite filling. Black sea bass and branzino are good choices, but they're on every menu so I guess this is more about giving the young what they're familiar with.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AverageOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/15/2014The place is nice but I was personally looking for special and unique plates to try... a unique experience... and didn't find that.
- Really Good RestaurantMDZ20Dined on 8/15/2014We were very happy with our experience here. They have good cocktails and an interesting wine list. The food is top notch. The only negatives are that it seems more geared towards groups so is not a great place for a couple to go. Since there are so many groups, it was very loud. We went here for our anniversary and it was not the ideal place for that as the seating arrangement was not very private for couples. The bar area was quite busy so it took quite awhile to get our cocktails. Also, the music is really weird. They want to play their interesting mix but all we could hear was the base. I think they need to change the type of music they are playing. But all that said, we had a good meal at an interesting new restaurant.Special Features:
- Lots of menu varietyLizBDined on 8/14/2014Loved how varied the menu was. The rabbit was cooked perfectly. It was loud so very hard to hear the server.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A happy findflbfauVIPDined on 8/14/2014Came here during restaurant week and we couldn't have been more delighted. The food was wonderful. Our waiter was attentive and helpful. We'll be back.Special Features:
- Great dinnerMartlesDined on 8/14/2014This new restaurant has a pleasant atmosphere and good service. I had the special restaurant week dinner (lots of choices) with soft shell crab and branzino. Both were the best I have had anywhere. The flavoring was excellent. The bread served in a skillet was great. I look forward to going back and ordering the same thing again. The deserts were weak but I didn't care since the first two courses of the meal were so good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful restaurantrenartgalDined on 8/14/2014I have been to General Assembly twice and have enjoyed it. Everything about the restaurant makes for a terrific dining experience. The decor, the menu selection is wonderful and very creative, the service is excellent. A welcome addition to the New York Restaurant scene.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mediocre food, good cocktailNMA404Dined on 8/13/2014We went for restaurant week and I was disappointed by the food. I had the roast chicken which was so crispy and dry I could have guessed it was roasted then fried. The tomato and white bean dip was good but nothing special, as was the peanut butter, chocolate eclair. My friend had the soft-shell crab which was a large portion and she seemed to enjoy, and the steak with fries that were noted as not amazing. Service was so slow our dining experience on a Thursday was nearly 3 hours. The best part of the evening was the Lillet Cup cocktail. I'd return for a drink only.
- showgalVIPDined on 8/12/2014We had a great Restaurant Week lunch. Our waiter was very accommodating. The portions and choices were very generous. substitutions were made when necessary even tho it was a prix fixe menu. the restaurant is new and very attractive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/11/2014Had read great press about this place. Was pleasantly surprised to see them offering a Restaurant Week menu. It had more options than most and absolutely everything we tried was delicious. The service was top notch from the front door to when we left. Every single staff member we passed thanked us for coming and said goodnight. Yes, this is at should be, but rarely is. Will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved it!DianeNYCDined on 8/11/2014We ordered off the Restaurant Week menu. Portions were not at all chintzy, and the service were great and friendly. Will definitely return. The skirt steak was wonderful, very tasty, as was the scallop and gnocci appetizer. The hamburger was fine, but the meat in it was a little too good, needed more flavor/fat!Special Features:
- Great Restaurant Week ExperienceDotDoDined on 8/8/2014We came here for restaurant week, and it was fantastic. The front-of-house staff was friendly when walking us to our tables and the wait staff was quick and very accommodating. The food was amazing. I had the soft shell crab appetizer, and the steak entree. The crab was great, and I liked the touch of guacamole on the plate. The steak was also amazing, and the butter is what makes it so. And for desert, I had the apple-ginger sorbet, which was cutely prepared and a great end to a satisfying meal. I was very full by the end. I would highly recommend this place for restaurant week or if you're just ever in the Flatiron district.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome restaurant week findOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/7/2014This was definitely one of the best restaurant week finds ever! There was a great selection of appetizers and entrees - many more than the other restaurant week menus - and everything was delicious! The coconut almond joy eclair was amazing as well! The restaurant is beautiful too with a nice wine selection! I would definitely go here again!Special Features:
- General AssemblyOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/7/2014the food and service were excellant, but the place is so large i got lost coming back for the bathroomSpecial Features:
- Amazing dining experienceMackLFDined on 8/7/2014Came here for dinner with a friend and we had an incredible dining experience. The ambiance, the food, the service...all exquisite. You must dine here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- need cotton ballsexcusemeplsrepeatthatDined on 8/7/2014Food was fabulous in every way but I couldn't hear the wait staff nor the others in our party across the table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always Divinekimsim822VIPDined on 8/6/2014I have had the pleasure of dining here three times. All experiences were terrific. The food is always delicious. The staff is always accommodating, and it is just the place to go to for a festive time with friends. Even it there isn't a special occasion, it always feels like one when I dine here. Consistency is important, and all three experiences were exceptional.Special Features:
- amazingvernaDined on 8/5/2014I would definitely recommend this restaurant over and over. A must try is the corn crème Brulee. it is indescribable. The service was fantastic and the food was great.Special Features:
- Imaginative Food, Noisy SurroundingOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/5/2014Rabbit Wellington anyone? Uni on toast? How about yummy spiced and bbq'd lamb ribs? This is not an avant-garde Wiley Dufresne restaurant but it does have an intriguing and unusual menu (which also includes roast chicken and a NY strip). But more than innovative, the food here is extremely good, conventional or un-. The wine list isn't extensive, but it's nicely sufficient, and the service is attentive without the interruptions of "How much are we enjoying the meatballs tonight?" every fifteen minutes. The only serious drawback to the place is the noise--but perhaps this is a generational issue. What's excitement for millennials is often overbearing for geezers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fast and FurioussuefoodieVIPDined on 8/5/2014Was seeing a play and had to run, but the service and food was spot on. We told the host, and the servers, and they were quite attentive. Opted for the restaurant week price fix and did not go wrong. The gnocchi and scallop appetizer was so light and delicious. As was the filet of Bronzino over a light vegetable saute. If you are a meat lover, the burger came done to perfection with a side of flavored fries. Dessert was a chocolate peanut butter eclair and key lime eclair. Yum YummSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- not great,vanzakVIPDined on 8/5/2014Would not go back there again was one time restaurant for me.
- Great business lunchlawroo79VIPDined on 8/5/2014Solid place for a business lunch. Classy interior, not stuff, good quality food. Went for RW and would definitely go back in the future. Not necessarily a romantic date spot, but perfect when looking for a nice sit-down lunch in the Flatiron area.Special Features:
- will returnmagsDined on 8/4/2014A new find, very good service, food interesting and tasty...nice combinations such as scallops and gnocci. The service really stood out despite a busy night. Noisey but tolerable for conversation. Very strong cocktails!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great time!LoveSpiceDined on 8/4/2014Great for a celebration - we came to celebrate a friends engagement and it was perfect! Love that they have big round tables. The sangria was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pretty goodOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 8/1/2014Good food, great service, and an enjoyable experience. Very limited vegetarian options.
- InconsistenthealthyfoodieDined on 8/1/2014Biggest complaint is with the host and hostess. The hostess was unpleasant at best. The hosts and hostess never smiled even when thanked or smiled at. And worse were argumentative when we checked in wanting to put us in the bar area when there was plenty of room in the dining room. Both my guest and I were dressed in work attire. Wait staff, on the other hand, were wonderful. Appetizers, main course and sides were very delicious. Vegetables and deserts were tasteless.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 8/1/2014Went here for Restaurant Week and was immediately impressed. The decor was adorable from the hanging street pole-looking lights to the sleek looking booths. The bread that was brought out was deliciously buttery and just out of the open, brushed with salt. I started with the house made ricotta with honey and chili oil, which came with veggies and flatbread to dip. Then, I had the steak frites, followed by the mint chocolate macaron ice cream that was had macarons stuffed in the ice cream, which was an extra delight. Everything was delicious! I have no complaints. The service was also lovely. Can't wait to come again!Special Features:
- Romantic settingjli0057Dined on 7/31/2014Came here for restaurant week with the bf. We had a 8:30pm reservation, got to there a few minutes early. We were not seated right away but as we were waiting we notice people coming in after us and getting seated before us! It could have been cause it was a busy night or something but it so happened that the guy forgot about us! We had to remind him that we were in fact still here!! Other then that little incident the place has a very romantic setting and it is a perfect place to bring a date. The food is one point and the waiter was very nice and patient.Special Features:
- Generally just FairLivingsumVIPDined on 7/30/2014I am a huge fan of Quality Meats, but I think the owners have missed badly with this latest restaurant. Don't get me wrong - the setting is spectacular! However, the food is expensive and pretentious; and the other diners appear to be there either just to be seen or to have expense account meals. GA seems to know this & prices/prepares their food accordingly (looks great, taste just OK). Finally, the noise is beyond rock concert level. To sum up, if you are from out of town, the suburbs, or you have to impress someone with lots of flash and glitz from those two areas and money is no object, then by all means GA is for you. If you are a New Yorker looking for a meal worthy of what GA is charging, look elsewhere.Special Features:
- A restaurant week winnerPhyllisDined on 7/30/2014Well planned menu and wonderful presentation. it was not the typical lunch week offeringSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Must-Visit: A Tasty, Enjoyable MealK8theGr8Dined on 7/29/2014I was dining with my bf my birthday, would def recommend. After combing through myriad pages to find a gem of a restaurant participating in RW Summer 14 I am so happy we ended up at General Assembly. I was originally hopefully because of their large RW menu and their exciting cocktail list. It was a fun, vibrant scene already at 7:30pm-- we arrived 15 minutes early and were seated promptly. Other reviews that said it felt cramped--the tables are tight, but not obnoxiously so, it doesn't impede on the experience. The bread is to die for. The cocktails are pricey but quality; props to the CA Chardonnay, cleverly disguised mango-infused vodka, refreshing & inventive. Food was well prepared, timely and tasty. Desserts and espressos too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It's okayDebraVIPDined on 7/29/2014The restaurant itself is rather beautiful. There are jars of dried herbs and other bottled "stuff" used as decoration and it's quite lovely. Our waiter was wonderful. I just wish the food was too. While nothing was bad nothing was amazingly great! Nothing left us wanted more of it. Sorry but true. Yes we dined on a restaurant week menu the food should still have packed more punch. Disappointing to say the least. Would go back to the bar area for a quick drink - but nothing more.Special Features:
- susanrenoDined on 7/29/2014great food and atmosphere. Portions were large and desserts were great!Special Features:
- restaurant week-where's the love?ekj67Dined on 7/28/2014went during restaurant week and while all the food was tasty, there was a sense of assembly line cooking and service. scallop gnocchi had great flavor but no scallops, roasted beets with a tangy yogurt were lovely but felt like they'd been sitting chilled on the plate for the whole evening. I was steered without subtlety away from a pasta and lamb meatball offering, I'm not sure any waiter in a fine dining restaurant has ever been more blatant that they would rather not serve me a specific dish so we both had a well charred and seasoned steak frites. Desert came in a paper cup and dripped all over the table. Service disappeared after the delivery of our entrees. Didn't feel special after-all, even for the reduced price of $50 plus wine.
- NOT a upgrade to the Hurricane ClubOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/28/2014I was saddened to hear that the Hurricane Club closed down and hopeful/excited to try General Assembly. From reading several reviews i was expecting an "upgrade to both the menu and the decor" of its predecessor. Unfortunately, this new restaurant did not meet my expectations. They moved things around and the ambiance is just different. Very "vanilla" as compared to the Hurricane Club, which in my opinion had a lot of character. This venue would be ideal for a business lunch but not necessarily a cozy dinner date. Had some excellent wine and the apple ginger sorbet was probably the best thing that I had that night.