Gene and Georgetti
500 N. Franklin
Chicago, IL 60654Neighborhood:
River North (Chicago)
SteakhousePrice: $31 to $50
Gene and Georgetti
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://geneandgeorgetti.com/
- Phone: 3125273718
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:00am - 3:00pm;
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 3:00pm - 11:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 3:00pm - 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Mario Navarro
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Gene & Georgetti offers three private dining rooms: Bar room for 15-20 guests, Chicago room for 50-70 guests, Fireside room 30-40 guests, or Chicago room and Fireside from 80-100 guests.
A word from Gene and Georgetti
Gene & Georgetti, the oldest Italian steakhouse in the city, opened its doors in 1941. This family owned establishment serves the finest prime aged steaks and chops all butchered on site. Whether it's chicken, seafood, salad or pasta, the knowledgeable staff will walk you through the extensive menu. Known for its top quality and large portions, this Chicago institution has stood the test of time thanks to dedicated employees, some of which have been there more than 40 years. It's warm atmosphere, consistent quality, and great service makes Gene & Georgetti one of Chicago's finest steakhouses. See and be seen in this Chicago icon.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Gene and Georgetti reviews from OpenTable diners
262 reviews since May 19, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (115)neighborhood gem (106)good for groups (67)fit for foodies (53)notable wine list (45)romantic (32)hot spot (22)vibrant bar scene (17)great for lunch (11)late-night find (5)kid-friendly (4)scenic view (2)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Italian and German...OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/13/2014went to this restaurant..... DELICIOUS, also for an experienced and native Italian from Milano.Special Features:
- Delicious as usual...kssw88VIPDined on 9/13/2014The steak is always the highlight at G&Gs. We've been coming here for years, usually befor a theatre event. This weekend we came just for the steak and it was delicious and cooked to perfection. The gin martinis were especially good. Our only complaint was the sautéed spinach we ordered for the table - WAY too salty. Otherwise no issues - we'll be back again soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dissapointed this timeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/13/2014I've eaten at Gene & Georgetti's previously for a business dinner and wanted to have my wife experience this historical Chicago Steakhouse too. My steak (Bone in Ribeye) was spectacular, my wife's steak (Petite Filet) was way undercooked (cold in the middle) and when she sent it back, we are pretty sure it was microwaved. I was disappointed that her experience was not as good as mine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/13/2014Haven't been to the restaurant in twenty five years and it was still as memorable as ever. Incrediable service and food.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/13/2014The food was delicious, our server was great, and our drinks were outstanding! Who could ask for more!! We have been here a couple of times and have not been disappointed. It is a hidden gem as it is so easy to get in and out with parking accessibility. Plan on returning again soon with friends.Special Features:
- RemdogDined on 9/12/2014Great steak & prepared properly. Wait staff very informed. Bar very charming.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Arrogant and unwelcomingAlanDined on 9/11/2014From the minute we walked in, they made us feel like they were doing us a favor by seating us, despite the fact that we had a reservation. Then, when we finished dinner, they continued to give us that "time to leave so we can turn the table" look. I have dined here many times, but am not a regular, and don't intend to become one. Gibson's, Mastros, Chicago Cut, I will see you again soon.
- Classic ChicagogrlcharlieDined on 9/10/2014Trendy and modern are great. 'Foodie' is fun, but everyone should appreciate a classic. At Gene and Geogetti the food and sevice were fantastic. Our waiter was friendly and efficient. Our steaks were cooked to perfection. No frills just really good beef. The next time that we're in Chicago, we'll definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Greger2177Dined on 9/9/2014I visit Gene and Georgettis everytime I come to Chicago, never once Have I been disappointed, Love this Restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently greatbaseballjoeDined on 9/8/2014I was last here 30 years ago. Loved it then, loved it now - can't say that about too many places!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BestBestDined on 9/8/2014One of my favorite places in the country to get a great steak.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentdevlutDined on 9/7/2014The food and service were both excellent. We brought our son although it isn't exactly kid friendly they were very kind and everything came out in a timely manner.Special Features:
- Unadulterated ClassicSlooperGirlDined on 9/6/2014It's hard to be disappointed here - great food, drinks, and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent foodKTSSDined on 9/5/2014Great food. Hot fresh and delicious. That's what is important. Steak was excellent although undercooked. Veal visovio was wonderfully tooSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FabulousOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 9/4/2014The only problem in dining here is that you have only one stomach. There are so many delicious options that choosing becomes issue. I wish I lived in Chicago so I could eat here more often.Special Features:
- Best Steak House in ChicagoNormaDined on 8/30/2014During one of my travels, I was reading the American Airlines magazine and found an article about the best steak houses in the nation. Gene & Georgetti was listed for Chicago, so being the Foodie I am, my family and I came, and we have been going to Gene & Georgetti's ever since. Without a doubt, the steak in the best in Chicago, made to perfection. They are hard to beat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved it!OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 8/30/2014Absolutely wonderful. This is clearly an old school neighborhood favorite so the décor, service and food reflects that - in the very best way. Totally professional, helpful and friendly service from start to finish. The food is very rustic and comes in generous portions. The steak was cooked to perfection, tender and flavourful. Our server was helpful in recommending what we should order with what and bought us a refreshing tomato/lettuce salad between our appetizer and entrée. We had an early reservation so it was a quiet start, especially sitting upstairs but even though the place had filled up (with queues in the bar) when we left, we had not felt rushed at all.Special Features:
- Under the ELamgutierrezDined on 8/29/2014The location is great. Stay in downtown Chicago, eat well here, and walk back to your hotel to start working it off. Ava says the onion rings are the best ever.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Italian, not a great steakfoxgloveDined on 8/29/2014First time at Gene and Georgetti. Waiter was very good, extremely attentive. My cheese ravioli was excellent --best I've ever eaten. Husband and daughter ordered steak. Daughter's steak was excellent, but husband's rib steak was dry. It was a $50 steak and it should have been excellent. Lovely lemon pie for dessert --but sadly, won't be going back as we went there because husband enjoys a great steak.
- GreatLovetoeatDined on 8/23/2014Food was awesome, service just as good! Our group enjoyed everything we ordered. One of the best steaks I've ever had.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still the ONE...ChicagoGregDined on 8/23/2014For the BEST steakhouse in Chicago, there is no place else to go other than G & G's!!!!Special Features:
- First timersOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/23/2014Service was amazing, but honestly for 2 people and a bill of over $200 I've had better. My steak was just ok. Cooked well but not very flavorful. My girlfriends shrimp had so much garlic she ate 3 pieces and called it quits. Entire wait staff was great and very attentive.Special Features:
- Great steakhouse/italian placeRJrtizDined on 8/22/2014The restaurant its self is nothing to look at. There is a wait even if you have a reservation, but is worth the wait. The serving staff is very friendly and good at recommending what to eat. Our waiter recommended the grilled calamari, sauteed mushrooms, and bone in ribeye. All of them were delicious. Also, the lemon cake was outstanding. I would highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unvercooked and userseasoned4foodwilltravelDined on 8/22/2014G&G is an landmark steakhouse, perhaps too much so, having become touristy and unoriginal. There is nothing that made us feel our dining experience was special. Yes, the food is good, but not great. Steaks are nicely portioned, but bland and definitely underseasoned. In these days of "melt in your mouth" - "heavenly-seasoned" cuts of beef, G&G appears to have stayed behind. It seems as if G&G is in the traffic management business, not the great steak industry.Special Features:
- Awesome originalOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/21/2014The original Chicago Italian steak house,great service,great food,great people. Very retro-very cool.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Meat loverdispleasedDined on 8/20/2014The streaks as usual are the best a bit ove the top on price but well worth itSpecial Features:
- My favorite steak houseBruceDined on 8/18/2014Whenever I come to Chicago, one of the highlights of my trip is coming to this amazing steakhouse. I always order their beautiful filet mignon. It is a huge baseball cut. People tell me about other steak houses in Chicago that I should try, but I don't bother. Gene and Georgetti is my place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A GREAT Throw Back ExperienceFredrickDined on 8/18/2014I had not dined at Gene & Georgetti's in well over a decade. Other than an increase in the prices, this place is in a time capsule--and in this instance, that is a good thing. The food is so generously proportioned that I STRONGLY suggest half orders of most meals. I ordered the full order of lamb chops--no chance of finishing them all. My wife ordered the full pork chops, and could not finish even one of the two large chops that covered her plate in its entirety! My son, an avid steak guy, could not even finish his filet mignon! The steamed asparagus side order was a meal in and of itself. The desserts were decadent, particularly that chocolate cake! The long and short of this venture—OUTSTANDING SERVICE & OUTSTANDING FOOD!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special OccasionmfamDined on 8/18/2014Our family had a very enjoyable time celebrating a special occasion. The food, service and ambiance were impeccable. Gene and Georgetti's certainly lived up to all that I had heard. Would certainly go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not impresseddaddybswagginDined on 8/18/2014Saw this place on Food Network and it was highly rated as a Steakhouse so my wife and I sought it out while in Chicago. Hostess seemed lost when we came in, total unorganized for a 6:45 reservation, we should have left then. Service was ok, not bad but not 5 star, not even 4 star, just average. My $53.00 T-Bone, well it was a big piece of steak but no flavor at all. Before it was served the waiter had brought A1 steak sauce to our table, which was unsolicited. I commented to my wife that he must not have faith in the chef, damn he was right. My wife's filet mignon was better but not 5 star, maybe 4. Sorry, I wanted and expected more but it wasn't delivered. The Cesar salad was good !!!
- WeekendWeekendVIPDined on 8/16/2014Gene and Georgetti was recommended by a friend. It was excellent with more than enough to eat. May very well return the next time we are in Chicago.
- Simply the best!ChicagoGregDined on 8/16/2014If you want true old Chicago steakhouse food and atmosphere this is the only place to go? Forget Gibsons, Morton's, etc. This is the only steakhouse you'll ever need.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lovetoeatVIPDined on 8/16/2014Horribly disappointing! We didn't even eat our greasy, dry Chicken Vesuvio . The steak was okay but alone on a white plate. A pile of dried oven fried potatoes was left untouched. Frozen, flavorless, overcooked spinach a la carte was a mistake to order.
- JunebugfamilyfoodiesDined on 8/16/2014We had family from out of town which resulted in a group of ten. The staff managed our seating, order and individual needs with efficiency and grace. Our group had steaks, seafood and pasta; all dishes were delicious. We had a great experience and would recommend without hesitation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- River North Steak HousehighflyerdsDined on 8/16/2014Gene and Georgetti's Steakhouse is one of the best. Great menu with generous portions and a good wine list. The restaurant staff is very attentive and on top of their game. There bone in Ribeye and bone in Prime Rib are the best.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- As Chicago as it getsWillDined on 8/15/2014Great steaks, seafood, pasta, and traditional vegetable and starch side dishes, along with strong drinks from an honest bar, served by crusty old guys with aprons and thick accents in a full and bustling but not too cramped dining room. Tons of flavor, ambiance and history. Really, what more could you want? I think any negative comments here are the result of jaded foodie cynicism, or maybe a one-off bad experience. Especially if you're from out of town and looking for the authentic Chicago, a dinner here will be long remembered.Special Features:
- Great, old, classic Chicago steakseDDCcDined on 8/15/2014......................................................Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FeedingTheBullDined on 8/13/2014I wouldn't recommend this restaurant at all. My lady and I had T-bone steak not seasoned plus the onion rings we're oily. I won't go back.
- Dinner - 08-12-14Napagem1Dined on 8/12/2014The service was very good, however, my filet was overcooked, asparagus was cold and the drinks were watered down. Gene and Georgetti is living off their past reputation. This is an overpriced establishment.Special Features:
- Mauihaoles123VIPDined on 8/11/2014Portions way too big;not presented well; we were disappointed. Not sure why so popularSpecial Features: