Gene and Georgetti
500 N. Franklin
Chicago, IL 60654Neighborhood:
River North (Chicago)
SteakhousePrice: $31 to $50
Gene and Georgetti
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://geneandgeorgetti.com/
- Phone: (312) 527-3718
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:00am - 3:00pm;
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 3:00pm - 11:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 3:00pm - 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Mario Navarro
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Gene and Georgetti
Gene & Georgetti, the oldest Italian steakhouse in the city, opened its doors in 1941. This family owned establishment serves the finest prime aged steaks and chops all butchered on site. Whether it's chicken, seafood, salad or pasta, the knowledgeable staff will walk you through the extensive menu. Known for its top quality and large portions, this Chicago institution has stood the test of time thanks to dedicated employees, some of which have been there more than 40 years. It's warm atmosphere, consistent quality, and great service makes Gene & Georgetti one of Chicago's finest steakhouses. See and be seen in this Chicago icon.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Gene and Georgetti reviews from OpenTable diners
302 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (142)neighborhood gem (130)good for groups (109)fit for foodies (94)notable wine list (60)romantic (44)hot spot (35)vibrant bar scene (30)great for lunch (20)late-night find (14)kid-friendly (8)scenic view (1)Show More
- Try the chicken!,rbachVIPDined on 11/22/2014I have been going to this Resturant for many years. It is a fun classic Chicago Resturant. great food with great service. I normally have the streak or pasta. This is what they are famous for. But this weekend I tried Joe's Chicken. It was maybe the best chicken I have ever had. Roasted til perfectly tender and just a little but spicy. I can't wait to go back and get it again.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Old Chicago Great SteakhouseBuzzDined on 11/21/2014If you want flashy, glitzy, shiny bright steakhouse, this isn't it. If you want to experience a steakhouse that is the embodiment of a true classic steakhouse this is the place. Old Chicago the way it should be. The food actually comes to your table hot. Something most restaurants can't figure out how to do. The steaks are charred to perfection with a great flavor. The pepper steak is a must try, incredible. If you only have one night in Chicago eat at Gene and Georgetti's.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, great service, great atmosphereBeaglerVIPDined on 11/21/2014Awesome experience for a large party. Steaks were great and lasagna was a full pan! Accommodated all of our requests. Fun place with great food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this placeOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 11/20/2014The last time we ate at this restaurant was 15 years ago and it hasn't changed. This is an establishment in Chicago since 1941 and the food and service was top notch. Among Chicago's best traditional steak houses.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Steak...mmmmmmmcallthemlikeitastethemDined on 11/19/2014Always great, you can count on G&G's for an excellent steak. The wait stuff is superb, too. I had a guest in a wheelchair that they accommodated with grace and sensitivity. Cannot recommend enough. Garlic mash potatoes were delicious, asparagus, too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RoadwarriorDined on 11/18/2014I had booked a large group of 16 for a business dinner. The food and service were outstanding as usual. This is a long standing favorite, with a cozy setting. My favorite whenever I am in Chicago.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Old time favoriteasteakloverDined on 11/17/2014This place invented the big meat concept in Chicago. The portions,the wait staff and the atmosphere are head and shoulders above the Gibson's, Morton's and the Brazilians.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Come hungry! Good steak and healthy portionsPeteDined on 11/17/2014Good river north location. You go back in time with the restaurant located under the el . Come hungry. The steak was very good with healthy portions. Our server was excellent. My gin martini with blue cheese olives hit the spot. I would recommend Gene and Georgetti.Special Features:
- The last of the great Chicago restaurants. A gemJannieVIPDined on 11/17/2014Last of great Chicago restaurants. Food is first class..service always great. Top ten restaurants in the countrySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reviews over ratedAmj324Dined on 11/15/2014I went gene and georgette after reading reviews , some positive and some negative . I thought I'd give the restaurant a chance due to it length of time being in business and history . The steak were tough had no flavor . I will say the side dishes were good and the best part of the meal was dinner salad .Special Features:
- Chicago InstitutionChicagoTeddyVIPDined on 11/15/2014My wife and I took our our in-laws to G&G for their anniversary because my in-laws had never been there. It was a great and enjoyable experience. Three people ordered steaks. Two of the steaks were not cooked to the temperature that was asked. That being said, neither asked to send them back. My advice, get the chicken parm. Best chicken parm in the City.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A classic gem in Chicago.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/15/2014Would go back in a heartbeat. Great food; good service; old school comfort and attention to detail.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Chicago spotOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/14/2014Gene and Georgetti's has an school charm and really great neighborhood feel; from the lively bar to the second floor dining room, you feel like you are in a slice of Chicago that has been preserved over the years (in all the best ways). Along with the preparation of its steaks and seafood and the service you'll receive from the wait staff, G&G's is an all-around great spot for a night out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- G & G Classic!stash4dinnerDined on 11/14/2014Oldest steakhouse in Chicago... lived up to its reputation... Sinatra could have walked in around the corner. Loved the simplicity of preparation and the flavor of prime meat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Rib EyeBobGDined on 11/13/2014We were seated quickly. eventhough we arrived 1/2 early. Waiter was attentive and quickly served us. Bone-in Rib Eye was juicy and sweet, Seating was tight, but manageable. Overall a good dinning experience.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/13/2014The original Chicago Italian Steakhouse is still the best. Steaks are best wet aged in the city. The Italian delicacies are first rate and the sea bass is best I've had in Chicago. Staff is most professional in town always attentive and first rate. Old school ambiance has to be experiencedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chicago classic!jjcat1990Dined on 11/12/2014Looking for a great steak surrounded by Chicago ambience this is the place. The Italian offerings were enticing but beef was the objective. Finished with a fantastic Tiramisu! Nose level was fine but this app is screwed up. Couldn't select medium.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- spiderDined on 11/11/2014The steak we had were delicious and more than we could eat. We were well taken care of and enjoy our experienceSpecial Features:
- Great steaks and good servicejormag2Dined on 11/10/2014Is a not formal steak house with a vibrant ambiance , fast attention and good foodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No ImpressedJamesVIPDined on 11/8/2014Was looking for a great Chicago Steak and this place was recommended by a local. I was not impressed. The feel was 1970's wood panneling and rund down. The staea was good, but not outstanding. Great place to take the family, not a date.
- Poor food qualityOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/8/2014I had dinner last Saturday night here with my fiancé as a recommendation for our weekend trip to Chicago. The atmosphere was pretty neat, as it looked like an old family steakhouse restaurant. The restaurant was uncomfortably hot for most of the meal, until we had to ask the waiter to turn down the heat. Even he was sweating all over the place. When we asked for food recommendations, he said the lamp chops and the steak, unseasoned. We were very disappointed. The steak was as bland as can be, and the lamb chops were very dry. The waiter was sympathetic and great, as it was not his fault the food was poor. We will make sure to go to other Chicago steakhouses in the future, this one didn't live up to its name.Special Features:
- kdv12Dined on 11/8/2014Very old world food and ambiance. Nice people who come as regulars. We brought non-Chicago guests and thought it was a a throw back in time including the food. But nice to try and clearly known for their steaks. We went because we heard review on a radio show and didn't really live up to what we thought.Special Features:
- A neighborhood steak houseJeffVIPDined on 11/8/2014We went early and had a martini at the bar. We asked if we could be seated on the main floor. They said no they were all booked up. I had heard that you needed to be a regular to be seated on the main floor. They were right! Most people knew other people there,and almost all appeared to have grown up in Chicago. We decided to stay at the bar and have dinner. Unknown to us, they cancelled our reservation because we didn't go upstairs. No points and a cancellation notice from the restaurant. This is not a place for tourists.Special Features:
- ClassicCalHawkVIPDined on 11/7/2014Great steak house in a great town for steak. I wish I could eat there every night.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/7/2014This is a great old time steakhouse, which is very hard to find these days.Special Features:
- Great Italian RestaurantSpringer1Dined on 11/6/2014My wife and I enjoyed a quiet dinner in the second floor dining area. The restaurant looks small when you first walk in but has several dining areas. The service was wonderful, drinks were served quickly and were delicious. The fresh Italian bread served before the meal was very tasty. I had the small tenderloin with a baked potato more than enough. My wife had the veal parmigiana, very good and more than she could eat. Being from out of town the prices seemed a bit high, but the whole experience was worth it and we would go back again. A great Italian restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- librarian1Dined on 11/6/2014Great steak. Liked the cottage fries. Would like to try italian dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Steak PrepAwtate123Dined on 11/4/2014After taking my boss and 2 customers here, I was badly disappointed in the steak. It was not prepared anywhere close to how I ordered it, then in the taxi as we are all talking about there meals, NO one believed there meal was good. Not sure where they get the ratings I saw before making the reservation!
- RojoDined on 11/3/2014Had an excellent meal and for starters we had the Italian Sauage with Peppers, then the Pork Chops are the best in town. Our waiter Alex was fantastic! He recommed the house specialities and the Brandy Ice and the Italian Lemon Cream Layer Cake a great way to finish the night!Special Features:
- RunDMCDined on 11/1/2014Have had better food in a lot of places, portion size is huge...house salad is awful- head lettuce with a 1/4 unripe tomato....took out of town friends and no one at table had been here prior....have a great reputation, but not sure why....with all of the other wonderful restaurants in the city, will not be returning anytime soon- reasonable price on wines, so thats a plus....
- Still going strong after all these yearsBigDaddyDined on 10/31/2014Old School steakhouse, great steak, cooked to perfection. Unfortunately put upstairs because of group size (?) so we missed out on the ambience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First Trip to ChicagoOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/29/2014Gene and Georgetti's was amazing! The steaks were perfectly cooked. The sides were wonderful as well, and all of the portions are huge! The service was great. We took a piece of Lemon Italian Cake back to our hotel and devoured it! It was so good! We had a wonderful time. Everything was perfect!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Classic Chicago SteakBRTraveler1Dined on 10/27/2014Chicago's first steakhouse. Very traditional. Complete with pictures of "Old Blue Eyes" on the wall. The bone-in ribeye is top notch and cooked to perfection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious everything. Classy joint.Carnivorous1Dined on 10/25/2014Ordered the Ribeye with Creamed Spinach and Garlic Mashed Potatoes paired with a glass of Meiomi Pinot Noir recommended by our knowlwdgeable and attentive waiter. Great all around experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Grilled calamari was amazingemmyotVIPDined on 10/23/2014Service was great. The server timed the appetizer, salads, and dinner perfectly. Great food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great classic Chicago steak houseJGRFresnoDined on 10/22/2014My favorites here are bone-in Ribeye, garbage salad and the creamed spinach, been coming here for 30+ yearsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and feelOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/18/2014Love how authentic and romantic G&G is. I think we're going to make it a tradition to celebrate our wedding anniversary!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ChitownvisitorDined on 10/18/2014My wife and I make it a point to have dinner at G & G everytime we're in Chicago. We have not been disappointed.Special Features:
- LizOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/18/2014Wonderful Saturday night meal for a birthday celebration with my parents. All of our dishes (steak, veal and seafood pasta plus a couple of appetizers) were outstanding and the "old Chicago steakhouse" was a great atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Well worth itShirlyb123Dined on 10/18/2014Steaks were incredible. My hubby sent a tip to the chef for cooking his steak perfectly! The side of mushrooms & peppers was amazing. Service was great.Special Features: