Gene and Georgetti
500 N. Franklin
Chicago, IL 60654Neighborhood:
River North (Chicago)
SteakhousePrice: $31 to $50
Gene and Georgetti
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://geneandgeorgetti.com/
- Phone: 3125273718
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:00am - 3:00pm;
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 3:00pm - 11:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 3:00pm - 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Mario Navarro
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Gene & Georgetti offers three private dining rooms: Bar room for 15-20 guests, Chicago room for 50-70 guests, Fireside room 30-40 guests, or Chicago room and Fireside from 80-100 guests.
A word from Gene and Georgetti
Gene & Georgetti, the oldest Italian steakhouse in the city, opened its doors in 1941. This family owned establishment serves the finest prime aged steaks and chops all butchered on site. Whether it's chicken, seafood, salad or pasta, the knowledgeable staff will walk you through the extensive menu. Known for its top quality and large portions, this Chicago institution has stood the test of time thanks to dedicated employees, some of which have been there more than 40 years. It's warm atmosphere, consistent quality, and great service makes Gene & Georgetti one of Chicago's finest steakhouses. See and be seen in this Chicago icon.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Gene and Georgetti reviews from OpenTable diners
265 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (111)neighborhood gem (106)good for groups (74)fit for foodies (51)notable wine list (41)romantic (31)hot spot (17)great for lunch (16)vibrant bar scene (12)kid-friendly (7)late-night find (6)scenic view (2)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Loved it!OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 8/30/2014Absolutely wonderful. This is clearly an old school neighborhood favorite so the décor, service and food reflects that - in the very best way. Totally professional, helpful and friendly service from start to finish. The food is very rustic and comes in generous portions. The steak was cooked to perfection, tender and flavourful. Our server was helpful in recommending what we should order with what and bought us a refreshing tomato/lettuce salad between our appetizer and entrée. We had an early reservation so it was a quiet start, especially sitting upstairs but even though the place had filled up (with queues in the bar) when we left, we had not felt rushed at all.Special Features:
- Under the ELamgutierrezDined on 8/29/2014The location is great. Stay in downtown Chicago, eat well here, and walk back to your hotel to start working it off. Ava says the onion rings are the best ever.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Italian, not a great steakfoxgloveDined on 8/29/2014First time at Gene and Georgetti. Waiter was very good, extremely attentive. My cheese ravioli was excellent --best I've ever eaten. Husband and daughter ordered steak. Daughter's steak was excellent, but husband's rib steak was dry. It was a $50 steak and it should have been excellent. Lovely lemon pie for dessert --but sadly, won't be going back as we went there because husband enjoys a great steak.
- GreatLovetoeatDined on 8/23/2014Food was awesome, service just as good! Our group enjoyed everything we ordered. One of the best steaks I've ever had.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still the ONE...ChicagoGregDined on 8/23/2014For the BEST steakhouse in Chicago, there is no place else to go other than G & G's!!!!Special Features:
- First timersOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/23/2014Service was amazing, but honestly for 2 people and a bill of over $200 I've had better. My steak was just ok. Cooked well but not very flavorful. My girlfriends shrimp had so much garlic she ate 3 pieces and called it quits. Entire wait staff was great and very attentive.Special Features:
- Great steakhouse/italian placeRJrtizDined on 8/22/2014The restaurant its self is nothing to look at. There is a wait even if you have a reservation, but is worth the wait. The serving staff is very friendly and good at recommending what to eat. Our waiter recommended the grilled calamari, sauteed mushrooms, and bone in ribeye. All of them were delicious. Also, the lemon cake was outstanding. I would highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unvercooked and userseasoned4foodwilltravelDined on 8/22/2014G&G is an landmark steakhouse, perhaps too much so, having become touristy and unoriginal. There is nothing that made us feel our dining experience was special. Yes, the food is good, but not great. Steaks are nicely portioned, but bland and definitely underseasoned. In these days of "melt in your mouth" - "heavenly-seasoned" cuts of beef, G&G appears to have stayed behind. It seems as if G&G is in the traffic management business, not the great steak industry.Special Features:
- Awesome originalOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/21/2014The original Chicago Italian steak house,great service,great food,great people. Very retro-very cool.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Meat loverdispleasedDined on 8/20/2014The streaks as usual are the best a bit ove the top on price but well worth itSpecial Features:
- My favorite steak houseBruceDined on 8/18/2014Whenever I come to Chicago, one of the highlights of my trip is coming to this amazing steakhouse. I always order their beautiful filet mignon. It is a huge baseball cut. People tell me about other steak houses in Chicago that I should try, but I don't bother. Gene and Georgetti is my place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A GREAT Throw Back ExperienceFredrickDined on 8/18/2014I had not dined at Gene & Georgetti's in well over a decade. Other than an increase in the prices, this place is in a time capsule--and in this instance, that is a good thing. The food is so generously proportioned that I STRONGLY suggest half orders of most meals. I ordered the full order of lamb chops--no chance of finishing them all. My wife ordered the full pork chops, and could not finish even one of the two large chops that covered her plate in its entirety! My son, an avid steak guy, could not even finish his filet mignon! The steamed asparagus side order was a meal in and of itself. The desserts were decadent, particularly that chocolate cake! The long and short of this venture—OUTSTANDING SERVICE & OUTSTANDING FOOD!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special OccasionmfamDined on 8/18/2014Our family had a very enjoyable time celebrating a special occasion. The food, service and ambiance were impeccable. Gene and Georgetti's certainly lived up to all that I had heard. Would certainly go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not impresseddaddybswagginDined on 8/18/2014Saw this place on Food Network and it was highly rated as a Steakhouse so my wife and I sought it out while in Chicago. Hostess seemed lost when we came in, total unorganized for a 6:45 reservation, we should have left then. Service was ok, not bad but not 5 star, not even 4 star, just average. My $53.00 T-Bone, well it was a big piece of steak but no flavor at all. Before it was served the waiter had brought A1 steak sauce to our table, which was unsolicited. I commented to my wife that he must not have faith in the chef, damn he was right. My wife's filet mignon was better but not 5 star, maybe 4. Sorry, I wanted and expected more but it wasn't delivered. The Cesar salad was good !!!
- WeekendWeekendVIPDined on 8/16/2014Gene and Georgetti was recommended by a friend. It was excellent with more than enough to eat. May very well return the next time we are in Chicago.
- Simply the best!ChicagoGregDined on 8/16/2014If you want true old Chicago steakhouse food and atmosphere this is the only place to go? Forget Gibsons, Morton's, etc. This is the only steakhouse you'll ever need.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lovetoeatVIPDined on 8/16/2014Horribly disappointing! We didn't even eat our greasy, dry Chicken Vesuvio . The steak was okay but alone on a white plate. A pile of dried oven fried potatoes was left untouched. Frozen, flavorless, overcooked spinach a la carte was a mistake to order.
- JunebugfamilyfoodiesDined on 8/16/2014We had family from out of town which resulted in a group of ten. The staff managed our seating, order and individual needs with efficiency and grace. Our group had steaks, seafood and pasta; all dishes were delicious. We had a great experience and would recommend without hesitation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- River North Steak HousehighflyerdsDined on 8/16/2014Gene and Georgetti's Steakhouse is one of the best. Great menu with generous portions and a good wine list. The restaurant staff is very attentive and on top of their game. There bone in Ribeye and bone in Prime Rib are the best.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- As Chicago as it getsWillDined on 8/15/2014Great steaks, seafood, pasta, and traditional vegetable and starch side dishes, along with strong drinks from an honest bar, served by crusty old guys with aprons and thick accents in a full and bustling but not too cramped dining room. Tons of flavor, ambiance and history. Really, what more could you want? I think any negative comments here are the result of jaded foodie cynicism, or maybe a one-off bad experience. Especially if you're from out of town and looking for the authentic Chicago, a dinner here will be long remembered.Special Features:
- Great, old, classic Chicago steakseDDCcDined on 8/15/2014......................................................Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FeedingTheBullDined on 8/13/2014I wouldn't recommend this restaurant at all. My lady and I had T-bone steak not seasoned plus the onion rings we're oily. I won't go back.
- Dinner - 08-12-14OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/12/2014The service was very good, however, my filet was overcooked, asparagus was cold and the drinks were watered down. Gene and Georgetti is living off their past reputation. This is an overpriced establishment.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 8/11/2014Portions way too big;not presented well; we were disappointed. Not sure why so popularSpecial Features:
- Not what I expectedSturgieVIPDined on 8/11/2014The first thing there was nobody to greet you. you walk in,there is a bar with a bunch of old men sitting at it. There is a sort of hostess station and nobody is there. Nobody approaches you. A waiter went and asked somebody 30 feet away in the dining area (he was chatting with somebody at a table) and we were told to go to the table with the reserved sign on it. Nothing warm and fuzzy about this place at all. Turned off immediately. Most restaurants want you to be happy. Anyway, the waiter was nice. The steak was less than desirable. Absolutely no juice in it at all. Dry, and I find that so unusual. Finally an occasion woman would come in with a few men. Just not the kind of place I would care to go back to.
- Excellent Rerstaurant - Old School!PhillyFastEddieDined on 8/9/2014I am an "Out of Towner" and a Restaurant Operator for over 35 years. My wife and I were looking for a good steak place since we were in Chicago. We were pleasantly surprised to fine some "Old School" Charm and Service. Our Waiter (JJ) was excellent. Friendly, attentive and knowledgeable. He recommended several cuts of meat and a perfect bottle of wine to go with it. The food was just as satisfying. The Bone-In Rib Eye was cooked to perfection and very flavorful. We shared the Grilled Calamari that was tender and juicy. I would not hesitate to recommend this Restaurant to anyone who was a visitor to Chicago. Not industrial Food but excellent Food with excellent Service.Special Features:
- Classic dining w/o the stuffinessD2K2Dined on 8/9/2014A timeless jewel that I'll return to. Steaks were simply sensational and the service was outstanding while not overly attentive. Red and white tablecloths and a waiter staff dressed in white jackets and ties give the experience a special charm but not at all stuffy. Only negative was the spinach. Although the portion was enough for 3-4 it was bitter and we set it aside. Nice place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overpriced and unremarkable foodbatedDined on 8/9/2014Very disappointed with this restaurant. The food was run of the mill steakhouse fair and was wildly overpriced. If you are looking for a good steak go somewhere else ...
- May be the oldest but is the best.FineDineChicagoDined on 8/7/2014Gives the old chicago feel, yet the food is definately not old. Great selections. Large props. Love entrance of corner doors just the beginning to what you find inside. We made reservations on OpenTable.. First time we used it and we were traveling from out of state. Made it easy to find, to make reservations and see menu prior to our arrival. A bit pricy but guess that comes with the territory as seen by the clientele that was there. . Dress business casual or dressy. Did not see shorts or t shirts. I would recommend for the old Chicago expedience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/6/2014Great steaks and good wine although rather pricy compared to other restaurants in Chicago that serve equally good meat. It was too cold in the restaurant, AC was too high.Special Features:
- Love G&GJoseyWalesDined on 8/6/2014An updated 1930s feel. Food was wonderful and service by Carlos and the wait staff was great! If G&G ever do a commercial the Host would be perfect lives his voice for it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/5/2014Simply AWESOME Tender Juicy Steak and ver attentive SERVICE!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bar Noneblue31sfDined on 8/5/2014Best steakhouse and service restaurant in the country.Special Features:
- Accommodated my Special MealBMG4MEDined on 7/31/2014I arranged a party for an employee. While I could not eat their food, they allowed me to order my own kosher food in and served it very nicely according to kosher requirements. Note they don't make kosher food, it has to be ordered in and paid for by the customer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OLD SCHOOL CHARM "WONDERFUL"foodie737Dined on 7/31/2014Our group of 11 wanted to experience a great steak and pasta restaurant which was well established in the Chicago downtown area - No designer food for us but quality steaks were top priority with a good selection of wines. We were not disappointed - the restaurant exuded old school charm from the moment we walked in - the service was terrific and the waiter did not miss a beat. Our meals which ranged from steaks, lamb chops (wonderful) and pasta was a foodie's delight. Our wine selection was not disappointing either selecting several bottles on Brunelli to enjoy. Highly recommend as this restaurant has been around since 1941 and they know how to prepare their steaks.Special Features:
- A ChiTown ClassicJimmydEVIPDined on 7/31/2014Steaks were very tasty...chef prepared them as requested. Very nice roasted sliced potatoes and salad served with entrees. The pictures on the wall tell the restaurants story. A great evening dinner location to enjoy with friends...business casual just fine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Traditional SteakhouseSOORMichael1Dined on 7/30/2014Grat steakhouse fare + Italian specialties. I had the veal chop cooked medium rare to perfection. The onion rings were just fair ( and there were way to many of them ) ; the fried raviol appetizer was outstanding!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excelente carneamdavilaDined on 7/29/2014Fui a cenar con dos amigos, la carne es estupenda, de las mejores que me he comido en mi vida, definitivamente quiero regresar a este restaurante pero un poco más temprano y con más apetito, las porciones son muy grandes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- came for the steak...gbtn1Dined on 7/28/2014Should have ordered some pasta. Steak was very bland. And I ordered the bone out filet. Cottage fried potatoes were left in the fryer about 10 minutes too long. Ordered my filet rare and it came out med rare to medium. Now my gf ordered the bone in rib eye and it was great. Alot better than my filet. Overall besides her rib eye the fried ravioli we got for an appetizer was the best thing I ate. Won't recommend anyone to go here. I can honestly cook alot better filet on my gas grill. And a whole lot cheaper.Special Features:
- Location.grollDined on 7/26/2014Visiting from N.Y. we decide to try this restaurant dinner while in Chicago. We booked table and arrived on time but had to wait about 20 minutes in bar area . Felt bad for tables that people were having dinner at near here because people were spilling into the table area. And then we were seated in that same area and it was tough, noise level was loud and people were bumping our party of four chairs as they squeezed past as crowd moved around bar. Food was very good . Our party having steaks and spaghetti and meatball dinners. The service was excellent.