Gene and Georgetti
500 N. Franklin
Chicago, IL 60654Neighborhood:
River North (Chicago)
SteakhousePrice: $31 to $50
Gene and Georgetti
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://geneandgeorgetti.com/
- Phone: 3125273718
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:00am - 3:00pm;
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 3:00pm - 11:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 3:00pm - 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Mario Navarro
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Gene & Georgetti offers three private dining rooms: Bar room for 15-20 guests, Chicago room for 50-70 guests, Fireside room 30-40 guests, or Chicago room and Fireside from 80-100 guests.
A word from Gene and Georgetti
Gene & Georgetti, the oldest Italian steakhouse in the city, opened its doors in 1941. This family owned establishment serves the finest prime aged steaks and chops all butchered on site. Whether it's chicken, seafood, salad or pasta, the knowledgeable staff will walk you through the extensive menu. Known for its top quality and large portions, this Chicago institution has stood the test of time thanks to dedicated employees, some of which have been there more than 40 years. It's warm atmosphere, consistent quality, and great service makes Gene & Georgetti one of Chicago's finest steakhouses. See and be seen in this Chicago icon.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Gene and Georgetti reviews from OpenTable diners
276 reviews since June 2, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (125)neighborhood gem (107)good for groups (76)fit for foodies (62)notable wine list (52)romantic (31)hot spot (26)vibrant bar scene (19)great for lunch (12)late-night find (6)kid-friendly (4)scenic view (2)Show More
- Classic!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/27/2014Chicago classic that lives up to its reputation. Our group had steak and Italian dishes. Everyone had a great time.Special Features:
- a steak legend!scrowDined on 9/27/2014Fantastic steaks, great service, and please try the creamed spinach! Frankly, the only reason I'm not giving five stars across the board was the behavior of a party of four roughly thirty-five year-olds at an adjacent table. Very loud foul-mouthed drunks- it is amazing what passes for grown-up these days; the entire room, wait-staff and clientele alike, were embarrassed! I can only hope they aren't there the next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a time-machine back to old ChicagoOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/27/2014Gene & Georgetti was genuinely incredible. there's no other way to put it. I'd heard fabulous things for years and it did not disappoint at all. The place itself seems right out of the early-mid 20th century- cozy, intimate, with wood-panelled walls and ambiance galore. The service is the best I have ever experienced, bar none. Perfectly prepared drinks seemingly materialized as you finished your order. The wait staff was highly knowledgeable, knowing the littlest details of each dish. The steak was beyond belief- broiled, charred, cooked to a perfect medium-rare. It melted like butter. The fried calamari and the onion rings are each a must. You will not regret anything about this choice.Special Features:
- very good foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/27/2014Great food, better maintenace of the place to compete with other restaurants,not on the zone but within the city.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Classic ChicagoAnonymous33Dined on 9/25/2014Delicious food. Great service, and an awesome, classic Chicago atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Old SchoolViolaFussDined on 9/25/2014You go to Gene and Georgetti to experience the old-school Chicago chop house vibe, not the food, I reckon. My friend did love his chop, but overall I found each item I tried to be wildly over-salted and just not special in any way. Ew. (Note I'm not a meat or pasta lover.) But people love this place, from our friends who stop by whenever they visit from New York, to the two tables near us who were celebrating birthdays and anniversaries with gifts, cakes and candles, to the corner table populated by a local crew who I'll guess have been holding down that table for decades. For me, that atmosphere made the visit worthwhile. Service was very attentive, very good.Special Features:
- Old Fashion Operation!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/25/2014Watched a Food Network show on Gene & Georgetti....Wanted to try a legend in the Chicago area....slightly disappointing....Special Features:
- The besttravel305Dined on 9/24/2014A Chicagp staple I visit on every trip to the windy city. Must try the lamb chops. Best in the country.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Steak cooked perfectlyfoodie16VIPDined on 9/24/2014The steaks here are cooked to perfection. I prefer mine medium rare. Generally, restaurants will overcook a medium rare cut of meat, but not here.Special Features:
- Perfect SteaksCaliforniaDined on 9/23/2014We wanted to experience a traditional Chicago steakhouse and Gene and Georgetti was perfect. Excellent food, grat service and friendly staff. It had a neighborhood vibe that made us feel welcome. Superb steaks prepared perfectly. The sautéed spinach was also excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gene & Georgetti'sPaulieDined on 9/20/2014We really enjoyed the steaks, they are top notch. The servers were outstanding and made us feel very welcome and appreciated. The waiting area is a little cramped but the experience is worth the slight inconvenience. Good wine list and selections for drinks. All in all we loved the old style professional wait staff and, again, steaks that taste awesome. This will be a regular stop when I visit Chicago.Special Features:
- DisappointingNiecieDined on 9/20/2014I was not really happy with the quality of the food. The stuffed mushrooms were stuffed with ground beef which I felt was a bit rare. My filet mignon was a bit dry and could have used a sauce or gravy. The waitstaff was attentive and the food cdid come quickly. The restauarant was very crowded and was apparantly a local favorite.Special Features:
- To avoid!!!!!disapointingVIPDined on 9/19/2014This is supposed to be a landmark in Chicago when it comes to a great steak. Well, let's see. First of all, even though you have a reservation, they make you wait no matter what. The man who "greets" you when he feels like it is probably friendlier if you wear a skirt. But two business dudes, he couldn't care less. So when you're finally scuffed into a dark corner, the waiter who also have an attitude problem, gives you the menus and "eventually" comes back to take the order. Then the food. A very simple salad accompanies the meal (oil and vinegar super basic dressing - why do you bother serving this?) and finally, the T-Bone. We asked it to be cooked rare. Mine was cold inside. Not cool, COLD! And you battle with the meat. TO AVOID!!!!!
- amazing foodCharlieFVIPDined on 9/19/2014It had been 29 years since I ate at G&G. Last time was with my dad when I was 22. So I wanted to give a young associate in my firm a great experience. It was as good as I remembered. I had the best and largest prime rib of my life. She had a wonderful prime rib. These guys don't need the fancy sauces of the newer hipper places. The quality of the meat and skill of the chef does the work that's needed. I'm so glad I went back and look forward to making it an annual pilgrimage.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Old Chicago DiningBrodie527Dined on 9/18/2014Steaks were great had the ribeye and filet, wonderful sides and wine by the bottle is a bargain for a high end restaurantSpecial Features:
- Italian and German...simpletomDined on 9/13/2014went to this restaurant..... DELICIOUS, also for an experienced and native Italian from Milano.Special Features:
- Delicious as usual...kssw88VIPDined on 9/13/2014The steak is always the highlight at G&Gs. We've been coming here for years, usually befor a theatre event. This weekend we came just for the steak and it was delicious and cooked to perfection. The gin martinis were especially good. Our only complaint was the sautéed spinach we ordered for the table - WAY too salty. Otherwise no issues - we'll be back again soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dissapointed this timeRGSDetroitDined on 9/13/2014I've eaten at Gene & Georgetti's previously for a business dinner and wanted to have my wife experience this historical Chicago Steakhouse too. My steak (Bone in Ribeye) was spectacular, my wife's steak (Petite Filet) was way undercooked (cold in the middle) and when she sent it back, we are pretty sure it was microwaved. I was disappointed that her experience was not as good as mine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- barryDined on 9/13/2014Haven't been to the restaurant in twenty five years and it was still as memorable as ever. Incrediable service and food.Special Features:
- KAR52Dined on 9/13/2014The food was delicious, our server was great, and our drinks were outstanding! Who could ask for more!! We have been here a couple of times and have not been disappointed. It is a hidden gem as it is so easy to get in and out with parking accessibility. Plan on returning again soon with friends.Special Features:
- RemdogDined on 9/12/2014Great steak & prepared properly. Wait staff very informed. Bar very charming.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Arrogant and unwelcomingAlanDined on 9/11/2014From the minute we walked in, they made us feel like they were doing us a favor by seating us, despite the fact that we had a reservation. Then, when we finished dinner, they continued to give us that "time to leave so we can turn the table" look. I have dined here many times, but am not a regular, and don't intend to become one. Gibson's, Mastros, Chicago Cut, I will see you again soon.
- Classic ChicagogrlcharlieDined on 9/10/2014Trendy and modern are great. 'Foodie' is fun, but everyone should appreciate a classic. At Gene and Geogetti the food and sevice were fantastic. Our waiter was friendly and efficient. Our steaks were cooked to perfection. No frills just really good beef. The next time that we're in Chicago, we'll definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Greger2177Dined on 9/9/2014I visit Gene and Georgettis everytime I come to Chicago, never once Have I been disappointed, Love this Restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently greatbaseballjoeDined on 9/8/2014I was last here 30 years ago. Loved it then, loved it now - can't say that about too many places!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BestBestDined on 9/8/2014One of my favorite places in the country to get a great steak.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentdevlutDined on 9/7/2014The food and service were both excellent. We brought our son although it isn't exactly kid friendly they were very kind and everything came out in a timely manner.Special Features:
- Unadulterated ClassicSlooperGirlDined on 9/6/2014It's hard to be disappointed here - great food, drinks, and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent foodKTSSDined on 9/5/2014Great food. Hot fresh and delicious. That's what is important. Steak was excellent although undercooked. Veal visovio was wonderfully tooSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FabulousOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 9/4/2014The only problem in dining here is that you have only one stomach. There are so many delicious options that choosing becomes issue. I wish I lived in Chicago so I could eat here more often.Special Features:
- Best Steak House in ChicagoNormaDined on 8/30/2014During one of my travels, I was reading the American Airlines magazine and found an article about the best steak houses in the nation. Gene & Georgetti was listed for Chicago, so being the Foodie I am, my family and I came, and we have been going to Gene & Georgetti's ever since. Without a doubt, the steak in the best in Chicago, made to perfection. They are hard to beat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved it!OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 8/30/2014Absolutely wonderful. This is clearly an old school neighborhood favorite so the décor, service and food reflects that - in the very best way. Totally professional, helpful and friendly service from start to finish. The food is very rustic and comes in generous portions. The steak was cooked to perfection, tender and flavourful. Our server was helpful in recommending what we should order with what and bought us a refreshing tomato/lettuce salad between our appetizer and entrée. We had an early reservation so it was a quiet start, especially sitting upstairs but even though the place had filled up (with queues in the bar) when we left, we had not felt rushed at all.Special Features:
- Under the ELamgutierrezDined on 8/29/2014The location is great. Stay in downtown Chicago, eat well here, and walk back to your hotel to start working it off. Ava says the onion rings are the best ever.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Italian, not a great steakfoxgloveDined on 8/29/2014First time at Gene and Georgetti. Waiter was very good, extremely attentive. My cheese ravioli was excellent --best I've ever eaten. Husband and daughter ordered steak. Daughter's steak was excellent, but husband's rib steak was dry. It was a $50 steak and it should have been excellent. Lovely lemon pie for dessert --but sadly, won't be going back as we went there because husband enjoys a great steak.
- GreatLovetoeatDined on 8/23/2014Food was awesome, service just as good! Our group enjoyed everything we ordered. One of the best steaks I've ever had.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still the ONE...ChicagoGregDined on 8/23/2014For the BEST steakhouse in Chicago, there is no place else to go other than G & G's!!!!Special Features:
- First timersOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/23/2014Service was amazing, but honestly for 2 people and a bill of over $200 I've had better. My steak was just ok. Cooked well but not very flavorful. My girlfriends shrimp had so much garlic she ate 3 pieces and called it quits. Entire wait staff was great and very attentive.Special Features:
- Great steakhouse/italian placeRJrtizDined on 8/22/2014The restaurant its self is nothing to look at. There is a wait even if you have a reservation, but is worth the wait. The serving staff is very friendly and good at recommending what to eat. Our waiter recommended the grilled calamari, sauteed mushrooms, and bone in ribeye. All of them were delicious. Also, the lemon cake was outstanding. I would highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unvercooked and userseasoned4foodwilltravelDined on 8/22/2014G&G is an landmark steakhouse, perhaps too much so, having become touristy and unoriginal. There is nothing that made us feel our dining experience was special. Yes, the food is good, but not great. Steaks are nicely portioned, but bland and definitely underseasoned. In these days of "melt in your mouth" - "heavenly-seasoned" cuts of beef, G&G appears to have stayed behind. It seems as if G&G is in the traffic management business, not the great steak industry.Special Features:
- Awesome originalOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/21/2014The original Chicago Italian steak house,great service,great food,great people. Very retro-very cool.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.