Gene and Georgetti
500 N. Franklin
Chicago, IL 60654Neighborhood:
River North (Chicago)
SteakhousePrice: $31 to $50
Gene and Georgetti
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://geneandgeorgetti.com/
- Phone: 3125273718
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:00am - 3:00pm;
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 3:00pm - 11:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 3:00pm - 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Mario Navarro
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Gene & Georgetti offers three private dining rooms: Bar room for 15-20 guests, Chicago room for 50-70 guests, Fireside room 30-40 guests, or Chicago room and Fireside from 80-100 guests.
A word from Gene and Georgetti
Gene & Georgetti, the oldest Italian steakhouse in the city, opened its doors in 1941. This family owned establishment serves the finest prime aged steaks and chops all butchered on site. Whether it's chicken, seafood, salad or pasta, the knowledgeable staff will walk you through the extensive menu. Known for its top quality and large portions, this Chicago institution has stood the test of time thanks to dedicated employees, some of which have been there more than 40 years. It's warm atmosphere, consistent quality, and great service makes Gene & Georgetti one of Chicago's finest steakhouses. See and be seen in this Chicago icon.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Gene and Georgetti reviews from OpenTable diners
281 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (130)neighborhood gem (107)good for groups (88)fit for foodies (77)notable wine list (54)romantic (39)hot spot (32)vibrant bar scene (23)great for lunch (15)kid-friendly (8)late-night find (7)scenic view (1)Show More
- Grilled calamari was amazingemmyotDined on 10/23/2014Service was great. The server timed the appetizer, salads, and dinner perfectly. Great food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great classic Chicago steak houseJGRFresnoDined on 10/22/2014My favorites here are bone-in Ribeye, garbage salad and the creamed spinach, been coming here for 30+ yearsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and feelOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/18/2014Love how authentic and romantic G&G is. I think we're going to make it a tradition to celebrate our wedding anniversary!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ChitownvisitorDined on 10/18/2014My wife and I make it a point to have dinner at G & G everytime we're in Chicago. We have not been disappointed.Special Features:
- LizOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/18/2014Wonderful Saturday night meal for a birthday celebration with my parents. All of our dishes (steak, veal and seafood pasta plus a couple of appetizers) were outstanding and the "old Chicago steakhouse" was a great atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Well worth itShirlyb123Dined on 10/18/2014Steaks were incredible. My hubby sent a tip to the chef for cooking his steak perfectly! The side of mushrooms & peppers was amazing. Service was great.Special Features:
- Classic!ItalianfoodieDined on 10/18/2014I love this place! It was on my bucket list and we decided to go for lunch on Saturday. We entered and were immediatley greated at the door and sat right down. The service was top notch and so was the food. OMG I love the homemade rye bread sticks with sea salt!! We ordered the tortalini and spinich soup that was to die for...seriously! I am not a big red meat fan so I ordered the broiled white fish...perfection. They brought fried potato slices to the table and we also ordered the broilded mushrooms to share. Holy smoke..the potatos were addicting and the mushrooms were buttery and done to perfection. We saved some room for desert and ordered the Italian lemon cream cake. This took me back to my childhood. It was gone in under 2 minutes!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Classic ChicagoJshep1Dined on 10/17/2014This place has classic Chicago steakhouse written all over it! You'll feel like a mob boss eating here!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not to be missedGirlpilotwonderDined on 10/17/2014Be prepared for an energetic night out! Incredible steaks, fun atmosphere, great service. Packed. Don't miss this opportunity!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gift Card PickSeeFoodEatFoodDined on 10/17/2014I decided to take my girlfriend here since I had a gift card for it. When we entered it was very packed and there was lots of bumping into people. The look of it is deceiving though since it is a very large restaurant with other upstairs and downstairs rooms. Somehow we got a nice table upstairs in the back room with what was the only roudy croud in the place. It was still a good atmosphere. The food was excellent and for the price I was very surprised for the amount of food you get. Compared to other steak houses the cut to cost, plus them including salad and a side was crazy to me. I went with an inexpensive wine which tasted amazing with the food. Service was good, but due to the group was hard to deal with. Overall an excellent place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood place world wide rep!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/15/2014How can a neighborhood place have a world wide reputation? The meal was outstanding. The steaks were cooked to perfection. The wine recommended by the waiter complimented perfectly. The waitstaff was friendly, unassuming, efficient. The atmosphere was cheery and welcoming.Special Features:
- Great steak!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/15/2014Awesome dessert great steak and wonderful service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Traditional Steak HouseGandLfromTXDined on 10/13/2014The service was good, the waiters were always watching and on the spot when needed, but not at all intrusive. We ordered the small fillets which generously sized and were exactly as ordered (medium), and unlike many other high end steak houses, not overly salted. The sides were generous- with the asparagus cooked to be still be just crisp, and the garlic mashed potatoes were standout.Special Features:
- My favorite resturant in chicago ..OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/13/2014Gene and Georgetti's was the first restaurant I ever ate at in Chicago before I lived here when I was traveling . It was then ,1987, and still is my favorite restaurant.Special Features:
- DisappointedOulalaDined on 10/11/2014We went there because friends had given us a voucher. I had the rib-eye, nothing special just a good piece of meat, my wife had the chicken Vesuvio, it was as dry as a shoe sole and the potatoes were soaked in oil, come on!!! The sliced potatoes that came with the steak were also dry, some of them were burnt. The expensive pricing (1 calamari, 1 rib eye, 1 chicken, 1 bottle of cheap wine $36 totaled 140 dollars + tip) does not match the average quality of the food, we were happy we had a voucher and we are not planning on going back or advising people to do so. Also it was my wife's birthday and she could only eat a quarter of her "shoe sole Vesuvio chicken" and barely any greasy potatoes, no need for doggy bags there, very disappointing.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 10/11/2014steaks were wonderful -- could have cut them with a butter knife. One in our group went off-center and ordered the veal chop; it was tough and not worth the $$. Should have stayed down the middle and ordered the steak.Special Features:
- Happy with traditionChazDined on 10/11/2014Had a great meal, which included linguini, the bone in ribeye, spaghetti, and salmon Vesuvius. All entrees were fantastic. Waiter explained the menu very well and make great recommendations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice neighborhood spotadb260Dined on 10/11/2014Recently went here for dinner on a Saturday night. Reservations are HIGHLY recommended and well worth it. Plan to split meals as the portions are very large. We had the house salad, t-bone steak, potatoes and grilled asparagus. The wait staff was all very attentive making for a pleasant dining experience. The meat was butter-knife tender and delicious. It is very pricey, but for a special occasion it is well worth it. Great for large or small groups.Special Features:
- Great FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/11/2014Great food, Service was at time too fast and then too slow. My first drink cam right away, then after I had finished my drink, I had to wait half an hour to receive another one. The steaks were amazing.Special Features:
- The steak should be betterOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/10/2014For a restaurant that trades on its venerable character as a steak emporium, the meat we were served was not terribly impressive. The portions were large, and the filet mignon was tender, but it seemed spongy and lacked flavor. The dinner salads were prosaic, small, and in my case, overly dressed. The waiter was friendly and knowledgeable but not that attentive given we were in a corner table for six. This restaurant needs to try harder to live up to its tradition. The bar is handsome and fun. The rest of the enterprise needs a bit more work.Special Features:
- OutstandingTerrificdiningDined on 10/9/2014This restaurant is heads and heels above many steak houses anywhere in the world. The food, service and character is top notch.Special Features:
- A timeless classicOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/4/2014I was absolutely blown away by this restaurant... everything at this place was perfect... this place has been located here for as long as it has for a reason the salad was simple but elegant the appetizer was good enough to be a meal all on its own and the main course was brilliantlySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WeekenddinersVIPDined on 10/4/2014With the old school charm and attentive waiters, I wanted to love this place, but ultimately the quality and price just didn't add up. Our meals were nothing special, filet and bone in ribeye. The salads that come with the steaks are poor- ice berg lettuce and a tomato wedge....better to not serve it at all. The garlic mashed potatoes mediocre. Fried potatoes come automatically with the steaks, we didn't need to order an additional potato side. At the same price point, better steaks to be had in the city.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food commentOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/3/2014My grilled calamari was so greasy that I couldn't eat it. We let the server know and we were not charged.Special Features:
- Gene & Georgetti's 2014-1002OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/2/2014Table seating was prompt and friendly. The Server was knowledgeable and friendly. Service was prompt without being pushy. The portion sizes were "family" sized. Our party of two could not finish one order of broccoli. The pan fried potatoes are more like chips, very crunchy. The bone in rib eye was cooked as requested and flavorable. The filet was generously portioned and nicely prepared. The ordered wine was complimentary and fairly priced. We have been to Chicago several times and this restaurant is a "go to" place when in town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very overpricedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/2/2014The food was average but extremely overpriced! The service was very good. Everyone was very friendly. Would not go back or recommend to a friend because it was definitely not worth it. Sullivan's is much better and even less expensive!
- Almost perfectTravelingeaterVIPDined on 9/30/2014Steaks apps and drinks were great. And I mean perfect. All veal chops came out over done. There were three diners with the double chop. The place was packed and 9 out of 10 times this wouldn't happen but it did. Go to Gene and Georghetti it is great and truly a taste of Chicago.I would recommend this to a friend.
- ReservationsOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/30/2014I made reservations and was 25 minutes late and they held my table. I had the veal marsala which was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great steaksOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 9/30/2014Went here with a party of 6 for my birthday. Food and service was outstanding. Was everything you would expect from a place with a wonderful reputation.Special Features:
- Business Dinner MustBtravlerDined on 9/29/2014This is a great Chicago institution, a must when in town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best yet....OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/29/2014Came here for my 2 year Anniversary dinner and was blown back. The best experience was awesome. The food. Wow. Can't explain the feeling my mouth was experiencing. LolSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Classic!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/27/2014Chicago classic that lives up to its reputation. Our group had steak and Italian dishes. Everyone had a great time.Special Features:
- a steak legend!scrowDined on 9/27/2014Fantastic steaks, great service, and please try the creamed spinach! Frankly, the only reason I'm not giving five stars across the board was the behavior of a party of four roughly thirty-five year-olds at an adjacent table. Very loud foul-mouthed drunks- it is amazing what passes for grown-up these days; the entire room, wait-staff and clientele alike, were embarrassed! I can only hope they aren't there the next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/27/2014We had an amazing anniversary meal here! Thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a time-machine back to old ChicagogguerrapDined on 9/27/2014Gene & Georgetti was genuinely incredible. there's no other way to put it. I'd heard fabulous things for years and it did not disappoint at all. The place itself seems right out of the early-mid 20th century- cozy, intimate, with wood-panelled walls and ambiance galore. The service is the best I have ever experienced, bar none. Perfectly prepared drinks seemingly materialized as you finished your order. The wait staff was highly knowledgeable, knowing the littlest details of each dish. The steak was beyond belief- broiled, charred, cooked to a perfect medium-rare. It melted like butter. The fried calamari and the onion rings are each a must. You will not regret anything about this choice.Special Features:
- very good foodclauxDined on 9/27/2014Great food, better maintenace of the place to compete with other restaurants,not on the zone but within the city.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Classic ChicagoAnonymous33Dined on 9/25/2014Delicious food. Great service, and an awesome, classic Chicago atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Old SchoolViolaFussDined on 9/25/2014You go to Gene and Georgetti to experience the old-school Chicago chop house vibe, not the food, I reckon. My friend did love his chop, but overall I found each item I tried to be wildly over-salted and just not special in any way. Ew. (Note I'm not a meat or pasta lover.) But people love this place, from our friends who stop by whenever they visit from New York, to the two tables near us who were celebrating birthdays and anniversaries with gifts, cakes and candles, to the corner table populated by a local crew who I'll guess have been holding down that table for decades. For me, that atmosphere made the visit worthwhile. Service was very attentive, very good.Special Features:
- Old Fashion Operation!Snoshoe956Dined on 9/25/2014Watched a Food Network show on Gene & Georgetti....Wanted to try a legend in the Chicago area....slightly disappointing....Special Features:
- The besttravel305Dined on 9/24/2014A Chicagp staple I visit on every trip to the windy city. Must try the lamb chops. Best in the country.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.