34471 The Street of Golden Lantern
Dana Point, CA 92629Neighborhood:
Contemporary FrenchPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.gemmellsrestaurant.com/
- Phone: (949) 234-0063
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Sunday: 10:00am - 3:30pm; Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:00am - 3:30pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 3:30pm - 9:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 3:30pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French, Contemporary French
- Executive Chef: Byron Gemmell
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, High Tea, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Catering events such as: Sales Meetings, Corporate Events, Group Luncheons, Graduations, Cocktail & Receptions, Weddings, Holiday Parties, Rehearsal Dinners, Anniversaries, Birthday Events, Baby Showers, Business and Social occasions. Call us, no matter what the occasion, our chef has a selection of creative menus or we can customize one for your occasion.
- Private Party Facilities: We have a private banquet room that seats a minimum of 20 to a maximum of 80. The room has it own private facilities, as well as it's own full bar. It has a partial view of the Marina and lots of windows.
- Private Party Contact: Barbara 9492340063
- Entertainment: Thursday nights.
- Cross Street: Dana Point Harbor Drive
- Public Transit: Public transit stops in front of the Harbor of Dana Point.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: Parking lot holds anywhere from 50 - 250 cars. It has handicap parking as well. On weekends there is Valet Parking (Friday, Saturday and Holidays) We also have access to Marina Parking (please inquire within).
A word from Gemmell's
An oasis by the sea, where dining is romantic cozy, comfortable, and highlighted with personal service. Like dining out should be - Gemmell’s is a Dana Point Harbor dining destination, an experience for the palate not to be forgotten.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Gemmell's reviews from OpenTable diners
35 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (21)romantic (19)fit for foodies (18)special occasion (18)notable wine list (11)great for lunch (9)great for outdoor dining (4)great for brunch (4)good for groups (3)late-night find (1)Show More
- Zagat rated 10 years!7beachie11Dined on 11/20/2014We've passed the restaurant several times but never dined there until last month. Some friends invited me for lunch and I was amazed how good the food is. I'm not much of a salmon eater but I tried it on the recommendation of my host. It was fabulous!! Impressed, I took my husband to lunch the other day. He ordered the sand dabs which are difficult to find. On a scale of 1-5, he gave it a 5! I had the chicken piccata and it was good. The French onion soup and lobster bisque were as good as it gets. Our server Ben could not have been more accommodating and made our experience delightful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was amazing but one issuelocalfoodieDined on 11/15/2014First time to Gemmel's- the service was great and the food was amazing! One small issue put a damper on a high rating overall- the server was a smoker and every time he came to our table from the back, he brought with him a very strong smell of cigarettes-like old ones that had been in an ashtray for a while- really was a turn off while we where trying to enjoy a great meal-Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious french food with ample portionsOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 11/7/2014We had an excellent meal and good service. Kir Royal and house bordeaux were good. Ricard (anisette) was a very large serving (careful). For food, we had mushroom soup (cream), hearts of romaine salad, whitefish with sauce meuniere, filet mignon with sauce bordelaise with wild mushrooms, and Harlequin soufflé with Creme Anglaise for dessert. It was a sumptuous meal (and leftovers). Good strong coffee, too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrific LunchLikesfoodVIPDined on 11/7/2014We ate lunch here on a recommendation and were not disappointed. The food was expertly prepared: perfectly poached salmon with a delicious, balanced sauce, perfectly cooked fresh veggies with a little crunch and good fresh flavor. Nicely chilled rose, and yummy lemony and very tart perfectly french lemon tart for desert. Service was maybe a tad clunky, not sophisticated, but server took are of all our needs. Lunch was utterly delightful. Would love to go back and would recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always consistent and terrific!DJazzManDined on 11/1/2014My wife and I live locally and have dined here a dozen time's. I've brought out of town colleagues here. I've recommend this place to numerous people. Everyone has been extremely pleased with the food, service and ambience! 5 stars from me!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic!Brunch4TwoDined on 10/19/2014We got there early for brunch and had the place to ourselves. Started filling up after we were done. Great food. Exceptional for a brunch. Ben waited on us and was attentive but not overly so. Already planning our next visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ALWAYS A GOOD CHOICEDinedaily7VIPDined on 10/13/2014THIS IS ONE OF OUR FAVORITE LOCAL PLACES. ALWAYS FRESH, GOOD FOOD. ALWAYS QUITE WITH GREAT SERVICE. WHEN YOU WANT TO EAT AND BE ABLE TO HEAR A CONVERSATION, THIS IS THE PLACE TO GO. YOU DO NOT HEAR LOTS OF VOICES AND DISHES. THE KITCHEN IS IN THE BACK, WHERE IT SHOULD BE. THEY EVEN HAVE A PRIVATE TABLE FOR TWO FOR AN INTIMATE EVENINGSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/8/2014The food great and unique with lots of help with the wine selection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great restaurantretired2dineDined on 9/26/2014We had reservations and were seated immediately. The food was all outstanding, and we had four people--each one tried a different dish-all were more than satisfied. I had the lemon tart, and ordered a second one to go. The waitress had the perfect french accent and was very thorough in explaining the menu. We dined for over two hours. The parking is very easy-right in front of Gemmells.Special Features:
- Great FindpjklutzDined on 9/23/2014Service was excellent and dinner was divine! Ou wine pairing was also great. Wonderful evening.Special Features:
- Super diningSallyDined on 9/22/2014Wonderful dining experience, excellent food, exceptional service, I think the nice lady that served us wine is the owner and she is wonderful and makes you feel as though you are the most important customers in the restaurant. We all loved her.Special Features:
- Nice classy Resturant...OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 8/29/2014Service, ambiance is A+, location is a B, food is somewhere between B+ and A-... Overall, a great French cuisine in Orange County... We will be back... Pretty pricey, we had a groupon, which did not make it as bad...Special Features:
- 14meDined on 8/23/2014We loved everything about the evening starting with the ambience followed by perfect service with remarkable food. Loved-loved-lovedSpecial Features:
- ALWAYS GOOD FOODDinedaily7VIPDined on 8/20/2014WE WERE A PARTY OF SIX. THE RESTAURANT WAS NOT BUSY, IT WAS A WEEK NIGHT. THE FOOD IS ALWAYS GOOD, AS IS THE SERVICE. WE WERE SURPRISED TO SEE AN $8, SERVICE FEE FOR SHARING. THAT BEING SAID, THEY DID HAVE EACH PLATE SEPARATE AND IT INCLUDED THE SIDE DISHES. ALWAYS A QUITE GOOD RESTAURANT.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- perfect for Anniversary!stuffed62VIPDined on 8/15/2014We took my parents for their 62nd wedding anniversary. It was a perfect night. Our server Jeffrey made it complete. There were six of us and we all loved our food.Special Features:
- restaurant with special touchGreatLunchVIPDined on 8/14/2014It is one of our favorite restaurants They always hace a great eine by the glass. Their house made smoked salmon and pate are uniqueSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely!LuvtoeatDined on 8/12/2014The groupon gave us the Opportunity to try Gemmels, a long time wish. The food was very good, especially the crepe Suzette. Everything was delicious and the service was friendly and knowledgeable. Go!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/10/2014We had a great meal. Even using a groupon, the service was fantastic!(thank you, Jeffrey). Our waiter knew wines and made it fun for us by giving us tips on tasting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Restaurant in Dana PointMac1VIPDined on 8/7/2014This excellent restaurant is tucked away between a liquor store and a road in the Dana Point Harbor on the same side as Harpoon Henrys. It may not be flashy from the outside but it is a quaint little restaurant with excellent food. The sand dabs are the best we've ever tasted and they make an excellent martini. When in season the halibut is a delicacy.Special Features:
- Like Being in ParisCC60VIPDined on 8/2/2014Enjoyed a marvelous fixed price dinner for 2 (available for 4 as well). Well crafted appetizers, salad and soup plus quality entrees accompanied by generous sides of vegetables and potatoes. Dessert selections were so good that it was hard to choose. The food is very rich but oh so tasty! For us it capped off a memorable vacation so it was perfect for our last night's dinner!Special Features:
- The following 300 reviews are from the Gemmell's reviews archive.
- DisappointmentOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 7/27/2014This review is mixed. Our waiter was very friendly, but the manager of the store was extremely DISRESPECTFUL. We asked the waiter if we were "checked in" to open table because we did not receive an email confirmation. The manager accused us of calling in to make a reservation as opposed to making a reservation through open table, which is why she could not check us in. We never called. When we showed her the email confirmation that proved we made the reservations through open table, she did not apologize for her rude behavior and sent the waiter to tell us that we were now "Checked in." The food was mediocre. The ambience was nice, but the manager's unprofessional attitude sadly ruined our dining experience.
- Nice Dining ExperienceSpikermikeVIPDined on 7/25/2014Very nice French restaurant. Salad and duck were very good.Special Features:
- Food is wonderful!roostahktchnVIPDined on 7/18/2014We had a prefix 4 courses. The food was very good but the highlight is definitely the crepes suzette!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GemmellsLove2eatDined on 7/13/2014Service and food were excellent! Our waitress taught us how to pronounce the dishes which was fun. Also great artwork and ambiance in the main dining room!Special Features:
- Very Nice Dinner on Weekend GetawayOpticsGuyVIPDined on 7/11/2014We had a Groupon offer for the four course dinner for two. My wife and I were on our annual weekend getaway to see the Pageant of the Masters. Reservations were easy to make on Open Table and I even had to edit the time twice to adjust for our changing schedule. We started with the Pate which was excellent. Their french bread is also fantastic. It is served hot out of the oven and the outside is flaky and the inside perfectly baked. We each had the Ceasar Salad which was also very good. We both don't care for creamy soups, so we didn't get the lobster bisque which was also offered. I ordered the chicken entree and my wife had the salmon. Her's was great and mine was average. Dessert of the crepes and also the puff pastry.Special Features:
- GreatasusualDined on 6/30/2014If there is a better salmon with dill sauce in Orange County, I do not know where it is!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our AnniversaryPerfectDined on 6/29/2014We arrived early for our 7PM reservation, but they were very accommodating & we were seated at a very nice table. Our waitress was great, very friendly. We ordered our wine, A Hess Cab., which they did not have & poor Vickie felt so bad. We picked another one & again she could not locate. With head between her shoulders & feeling so bad we can looked at the menu & did find another one from Beitz Cellars, St. Helena. Our food was excellent, the Veal recommendation was over the top good & my NY Steak was cooked to perfection. This is a no rush restaurant, the perfect date place. We relaxed & enjoyed each others company from the food, to the wine & dessert almost 3 hours! The evening was perfect, thank you Vickie & Gemmell's!Special Features:
- Great Findluv2dineVIPDined on 6/29/2014I love buying deals on Travelzoo to try out new places. This was a great discovery. Food was delicious. I had Feuillette for an appetizer - A French specialty, Puff Pastry Pillow in a Creamy Herb White Wine sauce, with the chef’s daily preparation Choice of Asparagus spears or sautéed Mushrooms and the poached salmon for dinner. They were both really delicious. My husband had pate and New York steak. My husband didn't like the lobster bisque, but the restaurant happily gave him Cream of Mushroom soup instead. The salad was nothing spectacular and could be made a bit more interesting, thus the 4 star rating on the food. Service was a bit slow, but that could be good if you want a very leisurely meal. Overall, we enjoyed it.Special Features:
- 1st Time HereTeacherVIPDined on 6/29/2014My date and I came this past Sunday to have something different.I was impressed when I started to walk through the front gate and door. Although it is small, it is a beautiful place with all the paintings hanging up. We had 2 of the specials. He had the halibut with the rice and veggies and I had the sea bass with the same sides.They were good sized portions and both fishes were pan seared with a sauce over the fish. It was very delicious. I chose the white wine by the glass, that is from the Carneros region of Napa Valley for $12. It was so smooth, a little oaky which is what I like and I drank it very slowly to enjoy every sip. For dessert we both had ice cream.I highly recommend going here. Our waiter was very attentive.Special Features:
- ExceptionalKSdinesDined on 6/28/2014I took my boyfriend here for his birthday. The food was exceptional. The ambiance and service were superb. Gemmells made his birthday dinner a wonderful remembrance for a terrific birthday...and we got 3 desserts as well!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Nice FoodNoneDined on 6/27/2014Terrific service and the food was exceptional; even though my wife and I were there on a Groupon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing French Onion SoupGeorgeLAVIPDined on 6/25/2014What better way to start your meal than to order their French Onion soup. This is a starter I regularly order all over the World and to my surprise the serving in San Diego was one of the best I have had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/22/2014The food was wonderful only surpassed by the best waitress ever A lovely French lady who handled all the tables with ease! But back to the food- tastes were so delicate & wonderful. Thank You for a great dining experience .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food, great atmosphereMac1VIPDined on 6/19/2014We eat at Gemmell's often. Food is great, service is great and nice atmosphere. One of our favorite restaurants in the area. Try the halibut which is currently in season and the sand dabs are always delicious!Special Features:
- Not fit for a foodieFourSeasonsFoodieDined on 6/16/2014If you are a fine-diner and have enjoyed authentic french cuisine, your pallet/tastebuds will be angry with you, lol. Your wallet will also be none-to-pleased with you after getting the bill and the unsavory, dinner report from your tastebuds. There are many better, tastier options in Dana Point...You are forewarned; dine at your own faux-French peril.
- Delightful Father's Day Dinner.yumyumDined on 6/15/2014Haven't been to Gemmel's for quite a while but had a wonderful evening and will be back soon. Everything was perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice french restaurantGreatLunchVIPDined on 6/10/2014We being visiting this restaurant at least for 10 years, we love the somked salmon, pate, French onion soup, some of the dishes we like the best. They will accommodate your needs , great wine, martinis,etc.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious as always!GEMMELSDined on 6/6/2014Our friends we brought said it was just like wearing in France! The food was so delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Local foodie spot, talented chefBeachCitiesFoodieVIPDined on 6/5/2014The sand dabs were amazing and the filet mignon was cooked perfectly. There is a puff pastry appetizer which we highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Foodie88VIPDined on 6/2/2014I loved the service. Chantelle was excellent and so friendly and accommodating. The food was delicious and perfectly prepared and beautifully presented. The ambiance is quite romantic and authentically French.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.