2323 N. Henderson Ave
Dallas, TX 75206Neighborhood:
Knox / Henderson
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.gemmadallas.com/
- Phone: 2143709426x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Wednesday - Sunday: 5:00pm - 1:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Organic, Global, International, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Stephen Rogers
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Gemma
Gemma, in Dallas’ Knox/Henderson neighborhood focuses on seasonally inspired new American cuisine with ethnic influences in a warm and comfortable setting. Gemma has a full bar featuring seasonal cocktails and food friendly wines from all over the world. Gemma offers a late night menu from 10:00PM until 1:00AM.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
Gemma reviews from OpenTable diners
213 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (155)neighborhood gem (136)special occasion (92)notable wine list (79)hot spot (77)romantic (64)late-night find (45)great for outdoor dining (25)vibrant bar scene (17)good for groups (14)great for lunch (9)great for brunch (7)scenic view (2)Show More
- Never disappointedRichVIPDined on 9/28/2014I've been to Gemma a number of times and have been very impressed. Food is great, service is notable and the atmosphere is really unique and fun. It's very small, so they will have trouble accommodating big parties, but for 2-6ppl, it's a great spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodgoodeatsDined on 9/27/2014We tried a lot of dishes and loved them all. The gems were the olives and pecans, ceviches, artichokes and the rabbit papperdelle. They were busy but we did get great service.Special Features:
- Good question askedACE3Dined on 9/26/2014Gemma was a special occasion restaurant for us. The food and service were magnificent. I had the brick chicken and was very satisfied. One very distinguishing factor was that the Maitre'D asked us for meaningful feedback--not just the perfunctory how was dinner. This is the first time in my eating life that that very good question was asked. They want to get it right. This portends well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding Foodluv2dineVIPDined on 9/25/2014The food at Gemma is very good and gemma has a great wine list, including wines on tap at the bar. Service on this night started poorly, but finished strong. They were either a server short, or overwhelmed time wise. They rebounded quite nicely and finished the evening very well - great food, great service, wonderful restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome!JomwVIPDined on 9/24/2014Ordered what our waiter recommended and it was perfect. Food is really fresh and local. Had salmon tartar-superb! Best was my entre of pappardelle pasta ( house made) with rabbit. My husbands striped sea bass was good but mine was great! Wine choices are excellent and Allison ( owner) helped us pick one out to go with both of our meals. She and husband Stephan ( chef) were very present in the dining area - he even brought the salmon to our table. We will be back! Loved it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Met high expectationsHALoveDined on 9/21/2014Gemma came highly recommended by the executive chef and master sommelier of my job. The food and wine absolutely lived up to my expectations. The initial greet was a little slow, but otherwise everything was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DocHossDined on 9/12/2014First of all "Open Table' screwed up the reservation...having it one week later. Two in our party liked their entrees...two didn't....especially the flatiron steak...too tough and basically a plate of French fries.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding restaurant & open lateEatingout247VIPDined on 9/7/2014This was my second time dining at Gemma. Their food was great and their service is truly outstanding. Wonderful waiter and host. I'm so surprised this restaurant is open so late, but i'm glad it is because Dallas needs more places like this. Good job! Keep it up!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb!KatladyDined on 9/6/2014Very creative and absolutely delicious food every time! Warm, welcoming, professional service, even by the chef himself and his co-owner wife, who always greet everyone and even help serve the food. One of the very best long-time maitres d'hotel I've ever known (and I've known him a long time). It is not really what I would call quiet but the ambiance is low-key and relaxed, and the tables spaced well enough for good conversation. Very comfortable restaurant with fantastic food and fantastic staff. I have tried almost everything on the menu now and there is not one that I wouldn't order again repeatedly. My true favorite. I wish I lived there. Truly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best food and best serviceNjgitVIPDined on 9/3/2014From the moment you enter, you are welcomed and cared for with fabulous food, wonderful wines and superior service. Do not miss this Gem!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Attention to detailDallasdinerDined on 9/3/2014The food was excellent, and they were so focused on making the whole dinner special. We went for my birthday, and they brought us special appetizers and wrote happy birthday on our dessert plate. Really cute place with a great wine selection!Special Features:
- Great NightJCknowsDallasVIPDined on 8/31/2014Wow! Personal service has returned. Was greeted as we arrived early, and was given a choice of tables, as they were being cleared, by the Mgr. Excellent waiter and very helpful wine steward. Was told to ask that they go easy on the salt, and they did except for the fries that came with the steak. They were so upset, that they offered a free desert, that we declined, so they deducted our salads. Someone is thinking at this place! Can't wait to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently a pleasureNewToTXDined on 8/30/2014We booked this for a special occasion after eating here several weeks ago. Excellent food, very friendly service. Host and hostess went out of their way to make sure we enjoyed the evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodCtoguyDined on 8/30/2014Everyone at our table of four felt their entree's were best in class and exceeded expectations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Comments on GemmaOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/30/2014My wife and I joined a friend and his wife upon the recommendation of the friend. We both had the rib-eye special involving beef from California. Outstanding. We also enjoyed their Manhattan on the rocks. The food and the overall dining experience were terrific. We will go back for special occasions.Special Features:
- Foodies paradise with great serviceJrwildDined on 8/28/2014Start with free sparkling water, then great cocktails, fantastic small/large plates and wonderful desert. They had great fresh seafood, but the menu clearly stretches beyond simple seafood to a foodies paradise. You can literally close your eyes, point to the menu and enjoy your selection immensely. The service meets or exceeds the food. Can sit and eat at decent size bar, but would recommend getting a reservation and a table. They are busy and for good reason so reserve early. If you like this place then DISH is another good option.Special Features:
- a very nice dinnerIEATDined on 8/28/2014We loved the bright space and we will definitely come back for a drink at the bar. My salmon was fine but not especially impressive. My husband's pork chop was perfect and delicious. We also enjoyed our caesar salad and cheese plate. Our servers were attentive and friendly but being our first time, we could have used a little more guidance as to the highlights of the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pricey but worth itGourmetGourmandVIPDined on 8/24/2014Enjoyed our meal from the moment we sat down to the last spoon of the desert. Exceptionally good drinks, an interesting selection of wines, good breads. Food hit all the right notes. Menu is interesting, but you'll find many "standards" (Greek salad, brick chicken, etc..) amongst the more "chefy" items. Everything was prepared with care and top ingredients. Service was professional and pleasant, and the room was light and comfortable. Our only complaint was the price which borders on the un-acceptable by Dallas standards. Expect to pay >$75 for a simple salad, pasta, desert and a glass of wine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistent fresh foodDeedeeDined on 8/23/2014We thoroughly enjoyed Gemma. We always feel welcome like we have walked into someone's home. The food is fresh, healthy, delicious and beautifully presented. I love the blackberry mojito!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 2nd time in.JasloveDined on 8/22/2014Stephanie the owner shared excellent knowledge of wines. Her Napa roots shine through in this noteable food driven but very approachable noteable. Beautiful setting and excellent service bring it to 5 stars. Oysters are fresh and ever changing and sweet breads were top notch. Only thing to improve was sound noise. Bet they figure it out. (: Great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Had a great time, great fooddbfundallasDined on 8/20/2014Excellent wine list, steak tartare was delicious. My date had salmon tartare and she loved it. Sommelier Antonio recommended the Zeitgeist Cabernet and it was perfect. My date loved the homemade croutons on her Caesar salad. She got some to take home:) Great atmosphere, intimate, hip crowd. Our waiter Jake very attentive but not intrusive. Overall just a great place to eat. I'll be back.Special Features:
- AustinIsFunDined on 8/20/2014My wife and I and another couple dined at Gemma on August 20. The restaurant was full and several persons were waiting for a table, but we were taken to our reserved table right away. The service, food, menu choices and wine list were exceptional. Our server was attentive, knowledgeable and well spoken. We ordered salads, main courses and a single dessert to share, all of which were delightful, especially the heirloom squash salad, the diver scallops with chanterelles and the brick chicken. The chocolate caramel pine nut tart was to die for, and all of us agreed one of the best desserts we've ever had. We travel to Dallas often and have eaten at dozens of restaurants there. Gemma was one or our best dining experiences in the city.Special Features:
- CozyAmandaDined on 8/20/2014Service is impeccable. Restaurant is really aesthetic and nicely designed. The food was very good. It was a super cozy place so nice for a date or friends having dinner. My friend from Santa Barbara CA and I shared the Pork Chop and the Ragu. The muscles were also VERY good! The area is neat; if you wanted more wine, it's right next door to Veritas, a good wine bar. Or keep walking down to Tap House. Love the ice cream at Gemma's!Special Features:
- Birthday DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/16/2014We celebrated my wife's birthday. The food was great, the service could not have been better, but a little loud. Overall,it was outstanding!Special Features:
- Yum!gschDined on 8/16/2014Had a great dinner with great wine! Love the green bean salad - and the scallops were delicious!Special Features:
- Overly saltedTJudsonDined on 8/16/2014Wow, we were really looking forward to Saturday's dinner at Gemma. Recently touted as one of top 10 best new places in Dallas. Baby artichoke appetizer was nice, then came heirloom squash salads. A lovely lemon-zesty dressing with way too much salt…regrettably could not finish. The bass and the evening special, dry aged steak, were both so tasty, great flavors but both so over salted both were left unfinished. We kept waiting for either our waiter to ask how we were enjoying our meal, or for the gentleman making rounds to all the tables to drop by so we could discretely mention the over seasoning. Unfortunately neither happened. Disappointed by the kitchen and the lack of personal touches. Plenty of other places in Dallas to go.
- Excellent choice in DallasMeganDined on 8/14/2014Love everything about this place. Perfect for a date night or a small group night. Great find. Excellent wine list & excellent food.Special Features:
- Late night quality findJetsenDined on 8/10/2014The restaurant is one of the only places to get quality food and drink late in Dallas. The owners are on the floor and in the kitchen which brings personality and a level of attention to detail. I like the neighboorhood feel, and the wine list is diverse and created with intention.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great find!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/9/2014Really great experience. Can't wait to go back. Perfect size. Owners were around the restaurant throughout the night, greeting their guests.Special Features:
- Outstanding!KgodloveVIPDined on 8/9/2014This place is great! Everything we had was excellent! If you like sweetbreads, these are the best I have ever had! This is our new favorite special occasion restaurant!!!Special Features:
- Awful FoodDallasFoodieDined on 8/8/2014My boyfriend and I went to Gemma this past weekend for a nice date night. We could not have been more disappointed in the food. We ordered the Turkey Meatballs as an appetizer, it was extremely salty and I could barely finish eating one. For our meal we ordered the RICOTTA CAVATELLI and DUCK BREAST AND CONFIT LEG. Both were horrible and the Duck Breast and Confit Leg was way too salty. It also had zero favor. The confit leg tasted like it had been sitting out for hours and was really dried out. We do not plan on going back there again.Special Features:
- Great food, compassionate wine listEatingoutVIPDined on 8/7/2014Not only is the food at Gemma fantastic, it has a wine list full of great bottles at fantastic prices. I know of no other restaurant in Dallas that offers Kistler at less than $100. This, plus world class sweetbreads made for a remarkable visit. We will be back, for the wine as much for the food. Bravo.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love itfoodieVIPDined on 8/6/2014Gemma has great food. The "industry special" Chicken Milanese is outstanding. It's a very appealing restaurant, pretty, bustling, with good service.Special Features:
- Great!CourtDined on 8/3/2014We all loves Gemma. Service was excellent, food was even better. Great cocktail list and wine options. Will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Super salty entreesdac8483VIPDined on 8/3/2014We were so looking forward to finally getting to dine at Gemma. The salmon tartar to start was very good, but from there, everything we ate was SO salty - baked oysters, pappardelle, the duck. It was really disappointing considering the price and the fine dining tone of the restaurant.
- SGNITROVIPDined on 8/2/2014We have been wanting to try Gemma for a while and have heard great things about it. We were not disappointed. Friendly staff and helpful with menu choices. Moderately, but fairly priced. Salads were nice size portions, could have split. Entrees were fantastic. Rabbit with pasta dish was amazing and the salmon dish was perfectly cooked. Did not order wine because the cocktails were great, but did look at the wine menu and thought they had a great selection. Can't wait to go back.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Straightforward ExcellenceaJBRDined on 8/1/2014Tried Gemma for the first time and happy to say it lived up to its current hot reputation. The food is straightforward but executed perfectly and you really get to appreciate the core ingredients more than a sauce or exotic presentation. All four diners in my party enjoyed their mains (all of which were different); apps, cocktails and desserts were all terrific as well. Service was neither aloof nor intrusive. High expectations fully met! Scallop main and vegetable frisée were the big winners in my estimation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food, service, ambiencehardtopleaseDined on 8/1/2014After our second visit in two weeks we're still excited about this restaurant in our neighborhood. It's farm to table. Every employee we encountered seemed genuinely happy working there, and glad we were there. There is a nice wine selection from very expensive to very reasonable. The entree selections weren't numerous, but covered the basics; fish, poultry and meat. We enjoyed our visits and plan to be regulars.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/31/2014Thank you to the staff who came out and brought me my purse which I had left at the table. I've been to other restaurants who didn't even call me when I've left my credit card there. The goat ricotta was amazing. Cocktails were also delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Incredible!EyeHeartFoodDined on 7/31/2014Took the lady here for our anniversary. The food was so perfect. She had the scallops and I had the pappardelle with braised rabbit and I am still thinking about that dish. We both had Gin cocktails that were incredible. The service was on point, the waiter provided us with complimentary champagne for our anniversary. Unforgettable experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.