2323 N. Henderson Ave
Dallas, TX 75206Neighborhood:
Knox / Henderson
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.gemmadallas.com/
- Phone: (214) 370-9426
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Wednesday - Sunday: 5:00pm - 1:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Organic, Global, International, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Stephen Rogers
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Gemma
Gemma, in Dallas’ Knox/Henderson neighborhood focuses on seasonally inspired new American cuisine with ethnic influences in a warm and comfortable setting. Gemma has a full bar featuring seasonal cocktails and food friendly wines from all over the world. Gemma offers a late night menu from 10:00PM until 1:00AM.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
Gemma reviews from OpenTable diners
192 reviews since July 28, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (145)neighborhood gem (122)special occasion (87)hot spot (77)notable wine list (71)romantic (58)late-night find (43)good for groups (21)great for outdoor dining (16)vibrant bar scene (13)great for lunch (7)great for brunch (5)scenic view (2)Show More
- Napa brought to DallasTexasladyVIPDined on 11/19/2014Excellent Napa inspired restaurant. Food creative and artfully presented. The house made pappardelle pasta with rabbit is a standout dish. Scallops beautifully presented but just a bit overcooked. Baby bok choy salad is fresh, crisp and full of complementing flavors-could eat this every day! Our waiter was very helpful and attentive. Lovely atmosphere where you can actually have a conversation without shouting. Can't wait to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Definately worth a visitAbsoluteRavingFanDined on 11/19/2014Very good, solid performer. Veal cheeks and flatiron steak were excellent. Apps of sweetbreads and char tartar also excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very enjoyable evening...OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 11/15/2014The rabbit was absolutely terrific as noted by other diners. The olives and pecans were also excellent. The artic char, while well prepared, was very fishy. The server was excellent...available but not too intrusive.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Intimate dinner spotSB1828Dined on 11/13/2014Tables are very close together, but it wasn't too loud inside and the restaurant is really cute, so we didn't mind the cramped space. Friendly and prompt service without being intrusive. We had the striped bass and brick chicken, and we got the apple tart for dessert. We really enjoyed the food, as well as the cocktails. Great place for a nice dinner, we will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Attentive service, delicious meal!AbbieVIPDined on 11/8/2014My husband and I dined at Gemma for the first time for our anniversary. I had noted the occasion in my reservation and the hostess made a point of getting my husband's name when she confirmed. They had a congratulatory card waiting at our table when we arrive and the very attentive and friendly waitstaff made a point of wishing us happy anniversary. Our waiter Alex was fantastic; he spent a lot of time discussing the menu and offering recommendations, even noting things like where the fish for the crudo was caught and why it made a difference. The kampachi crudo was fantastic and like nothing we had ever tried before but wasn't on our radar before Alex's pitch so we were glad for the suggestions. Everything else was delicious as well!Special Features:
- Great Find!davida425VIPDined on 11/1/2014Really well prepared, interesting, and excellent food! Very good service as well. Will be back!Special Features:
- To die forSearching4substanceVIPDined on 10/31/2014This was my second visit to Gemma and there is a reason it is so difficult to get a reservation. It was amazing. From the duck, to the rabbit and the pork chop. It was all perfectly prepared. My sister even ate (and liked) a brussel sprout. (This is shocking in and of itself). The ambiance is like something outside of Dallas which is refreshing in a city of overdone and overblown restaurants who all seem to photocopy their menu and pass it along to the next guy. Gemma- you are a tiny oasis and we could not be more happy you are here to stay!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service is impeccable !PixieDined on 10/31/2014The moment you walk in the door you are treated like you come to Gemma every week. From the hostess at the door to the server and the sommelier , everyone was great! The noise level is perfect, we could actually have a good conversation at the table without shouting at each other! My pappardelle pasta with rabbit was delicious! Great place!Special Features:
- Great foodVickiVIPDined on 10/31/2014We enjoyed our food, the service and the setting. One of us had the scallops and the other had the rabbit pappardelle. Both were excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- food great as usual, but beer listACLathamDined on 10/31/2014some serious help. in this day of beer/food pairing, for a restaurant as good as Gemma to have such a mediocre beer list is kind of laughable. a few locals, a few random europeans and some non alcoholics just doesn't do much for a beer guy like myself. if you want some solid recs on some really good beers that will enhance your beer menu let me know. service was great and our server even commiserated with me on the weak beer selection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/29/2014Excellent all around. Food, service, ambiance. Good wine list. Has become one of our favorite dining spotsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/29/2014New favorite Dallas restaurant. Food, service, bar, and overall vibe were all incredible.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for a special nightAintFoodGrandDined on 10/24/2014The sweetbreads were hands down some of the best I've ever had. The drinks are interesting, the scallops practically melted in my mouth, and the chocolate pecan tart with homemade marshmallows alone was worth coming back for.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thoroughly enjoyed Gemma!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/23/2014Thoroughly enjoyed our first visit to Gemma!!! The entire dining experience was flawless. We were greeted with a warm smile from the owner and led to our table. The staff members were extremely eager to assist, genuinely concerned about us and very knowledgeable about the offerings. All of our dishes were impeccable. APPETIZER: Roasted Artichoke with Poached egg, Wild Salmon Tartare. SIDES: Brussel Sprouts with Bacon!, Maitake mushrooms. MAIN: Scallops with sweet corn reduction, Arctic Char. COCKTAIL: Beet the heat (earthy tones). Definitely makes it on my short list of dining gems in Dallas. I will definitely return. Kudos Gemma!!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Napa Inspired Food & Long Wine ListAtexEaterDined on 10/23/2014Delicious! Especially enjoyed the deep fried olives and poached egg with grilled artichokes!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great but...FRSWDined on 10/22/2014Went there for 2 friends birthdays, and they even had bday cards ready for them. They brought us these delicious olives and pecans, which we didn't order but they made it sound it was complements of the house for our celebration. But when the bill came around, they had charged for it. Thought was kinda sketchy and definitely ruined the great food experience for us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too Expensive & Too Much StaffYumYumVIPDined on 10/18/2014Too much of everything is not a good thing. Prices were way too high. Service was overkill. There were as many staff members as tables in this restaurant. The staff constantly swirled about looking for something to do. It was so distracting to have all this staff pouncing on the table or watching and waiting for the next napkin to drop. Food was very good. The wines are ridiculously priced. So we drank iced tea. This is my last visit to Gemma.
- Fantastic!MeatloafVIPDined on 10/17/2014We loved everything about the place. Service was top notch and the food matched every step of the way. Turkey meatballs were over the top good. Who would have thought they could be so good?? Another hit was the fried olives. Baked oysters and rabbit pappardelle were both excellent. Heck - it was all great! Will go back many times.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/17/2014Wonderful food and service. They know what they are doing there..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FindKallman1VIPDined on 10/17/2014Well Done! Enjoyed the breads/scone, need to return to try other items.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food and ServiceKELDOVIPDined on 10/17/2014Crudo and Salmon tartare were fresh and delicious exhibiting unique and original flavors as was the Ragu Rabbit with fresh pappardelle. We especially loved the Brussel sprouts with house smoked bacon. Wish there was a little more privacy but good food made us forget. Nice, reasonably priced wine list too. The service staff teamwork was spot on and everyone made us feel special. Great job. This wonderful little restaurant is now in our rotation.Special Features:
- Always greathardtopleaseDined on 10/12/2014The food, the people, the ambiance all are great. Our favorite neighborhood eatery. No reservation? Drop in and eat at the bar.Special Features:
- More for women than men.OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/8/2014I took two ladies there and they loved it but for me it was just okay.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent FindbolivarcoronaDined on 10/5/2014Very nice restaurant! We had the salmon tartare and then I had the wild salmon while my friend had the sea bass. Both of us were very pleased with our selections. The food arrived timely and the service was attentive. The wine list was quite good though I did not partake that evening! Nice ambience and we will definitely be back!Special Features:
- Best on Henderson or GreenvilleOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/3/2014Great food and solid wine list. We liked every dish. Service was fast and responsive. It's small and fills up quickly. However there's a really nice bar and outdoor area that has open seating... This is one of the best resturants in Dallas and the best in the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never disappointedRichVIPDined on 9/28/2014I've been to Gemma a number of times and have been very impressed. Food is great, service is notable and the atmosphere is really unique and fun. It's very small, so they will have trouble accommodating big parties, but for 2-6ppl, it's a great spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodgoodeatsDined on 9/27/2014We tried a lot of dishes and loved them all. The gems were the olives and pecans, ceviches, artichokes and the rabbit papperdelle. They were busy but we did get great service.Special Features:
- Good question askedACE3VIPDined on 9/26/2014Gemma was a special occasion restaurant for us. The food and service were magnificent. I had the brick chicken and was very satisfied. One very distinguishing factor was that the Maitre'D asked us for meaningful feedback--not just the perfunctory how was dinner. This is the first time in my eating life that that very good question was asked. They want to get it right. This portends well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding Foodluv2dineVIPDined on 9/25/2014The food at Gemma is very good and gemma has a great wine list, including wines on tap at the bar. Service on this night started poorly, but finished strong. They were either a server short, or overwhelmed time wise. They rebounded quite nicely and finished the evening very well - great food, great service, wonderful restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome!JomwVIPDined on 9/24/2014Ordered what our waiter recommended and it was perfect. Food is really fresh and local. Had salmon tartar-superb! Best was my entre of pappardelle pasta ( house made) with rabbit. My husbands striped sea bass was good but mine was great! Wine choices are excellent and Allison ( owner) helped us pick one out to go with both of our meals. She and husband Stephan ( chef) were very present in the dining area - he even brought the salmon to our table. We will be back! Loved it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Met high expectationsHALoveDined on 9/21/2014Gemma came highly recommended by the executive chef and master sommelier of my job. The food and wine absolutely lived up to my expectations. The initial greet was a little slow, but otherwise everything was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DocHossDined on 9/12/2014First of all "Open Table' screwed up the reservation...having it one week later. Two in our party liked their entrees...two didn't....especially the flatiron steak...too tough and basically a plate of French fries.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding restaurant & open lateEatingout247VIPDined on 9/7/2014This was my second time dining at Gemma. Their food was great and their service is truly outstanding. Wonderful waiter and host. I'm so surprised this restaurant is open so late, but i'm glad it is because Dallas needs more places like this. Good job! Keep it up!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb!KatladyDined on 9/6/2014Very creative and absolutely delicious food every time! Warm, welcoming, professional service, even by the chef himself and his co-owner wife, who always greet everyone and even help serve the food. One of the very best long-time maitres d'hotel I've ever known (and I've known him a long time). It is not really what I would call quiet but the ambiance is low-key and relaxed, and the tables spaced well enough for good conversation. Very comfortable restaurant with fantastic food and fantastic staff. I have tried almost everything on the menu now and there is not one that I wouldn't order again repeatedly. My true favorite. I wish I lived there. Truly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best food and best serviceNjgitVIPDined on 9/3/2014From the moment you enter, you are welcomed and cared for with fabulous food, wonderful wines and superior service. Do not miss this Gem!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Attention to detailDallasdinerDined on 9/3/2014The food was excellent, and they were so focused on making the whole dinner special. We went for my birthday, and they brought us special appetizers and wrote happy birthday on our dessert plate. Really cute place with a great wine selection!Special Features:
- Great NightJCknowsDallasVIPDined on 8/31/2014Wow! Personal service has returned. Was greeted as we arrived early, and was given a choice of tables, as they were being cleared, by the Mgr. Excellent waiter and very helpful wine steward. Was told to ask that they go easy on the salt, and they did except for the fries that came with the steak. They were so upset, that they offered a free desert, that we declined, so they deducted our salads. Someone is thinking at this place! Can't wait to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently a pleasureNewToTXDined on 8/30/2014We booked this for a special occasion after eating here several weeks ago. Excellent food, very friendly service. Host and hostess went out of their way to make sure we enjoyed the evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodCtoguyDined on 8/30/2014Everyone at our table of four felt their entree's were best in class and exceeded expectations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Comments on GemmaOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/30/2014My wife and I joined a friend and his wife upon the recommendation of the friend. We both had the rib-eye special involving beef from California. Outstanding. We also enjoyed their Manhattan on the rocks. The food and the overall dining experience were terrific. We will go back for special occasions.Special Features: