42 Province Street
Boston, MA 02108Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.gemboston.com/
- Phone: 6174821213x
- Hours of Operation:
Bar Hours: Wednesday - 5PM-2AM, Thursday - 5PM-11PM, Friday - 5PM-2AM & Saturday - 6PM-2AM, Sunday - 12PM - 7PM
Dining Hours: Wednesday - 5-10PM, Thursday - 5PM-10PM, Friday - 5PM-11PM & Saturday - 6PM-11PM, Sunday - 12-6PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Bar / Lounge / Bottle Service, Italian
- Executive Chef: Executive Chef Kevin Long
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Dancing, Delivery, Entertainment, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Entertainment: On weekend nights, renowned DJs spin house music to an upscale and stylish crowd.
- Special Events: Please contact Christie Bellany at firstname.lastname@example.org or 617.338.4343 for all private dining inquiries.
A word from Gem
GEM Italian Kitchen Lounge and Nightclub is an Italian kitchen featuring cuisine by Chef Kevin Long (Tosca, Red Lantern, Empire). A gorgeous space modeled after famed Hotel Costas in Paris, GEM offers an intimate and inviting atmosphere. Enjoy starters like 'Pastella' Fried Artichokes, Burrata Salad, Tomato & Mozzarella Panini and Kobe Beef Meatballs. Entrees include Mediterranean Spiced Tuna, Lobster Fra Diavolo and Seared Chilean Sea Bass. Join us for drinks and appetizers in the lounge or dinner in our intimate dining room. On weekend nights, renowned DJs spin house music to an upscale and stylish crowd.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerLate Night Find
Gem reviews from OpenTable diners
19 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
hot spot (8)vibrant bar scene (7)romantic (6)good for groups (5)late-night find (5)fit for foodies (4)special occasion (3)neighborhood gem (3)great for brunch (1)notable wine list (1)Show More
- Lucky find,MarinerDined on 9/11/2014Went on the strength of recent reviews, and I'm glad we did. Great ambiance, fresh oysters (dollar per) and very attentive server (Danielle). My wife loved the cocktails. Joe, the manager, stopped by the table to be sure we were properly attended, and topped off our night with a complimentary limoncello. They earned each of the five stars.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Energetic VibeDiningDivaDined on 8/28/2014My friend and I chose Gem because neither of us had ever been. We had great food and the drink specials were awesome. The vibe was energetic. This is a good spot to go with friends!Special Features:
- great atmospherepatmDined on 8/21/2014Love the decor, upbeat vibe, the loud.music. Great girls.nite out place dinner and drinks. Food is good, nice size portions! Service, well, the person we had as a waitress gave.me the impression she couldn't be bothered serving my party of 3, we were celebrating a special birthday. That was disappointing, first time at Gem, probably the last.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- susanDined on 7/12/2014it was the worst restaurant I have ever been in PERIOD
- Fried Artichokes were awesome.catabaluVIPDined on 6/26/2014Fried Artichokes were awesome and the dining room was quite fancy.
- DeniseDined on 6/19/2014Atmosphere in the bar area was electric. Drinks and food were great. Disappointing that we had to wait 20 minutes past our reservation time because they took walk-ins.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner with out of state friendsisk1VIPDined on 6/19/2014Went here to catch up with a friend I had not seen in a long time. While the food was really excellent, there was a very energetic party going on at the next table and it made it really difficult to have a conversation. This is a great place if you do not want to communicate with members of your party, but want good food. If you want to talk, don't go here.Special Features:
- My new downtown favFeeeeeeedmeeerrDined on 6/13/2014I will go back again. The dining area is small but it was nice and cozy. Definitely a date night place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 66 reviews are from the Gem reviews archive.
- ElyseBDined on 5/18/2014Brunch was really fun! The restaurant turns into a day club modeled after brunches in Vegas and NY. Awesome!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and excellent priceOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/3/2014We were really happy with the quality of the food offered at Gem. The antipasti appetizer is delicious and creative. The service was outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cozy, noisyMMConnorDined on 4/19/2014Arrived around 9pm on a Saturday night. Was crowded and quite noisy. Food was good, appetizers were delicious but very heavy. Service was attentive. Try to request a table away from the bar if you want to have a conversation, in the bar if you are looking for livelier vibe.Special Features:
- Try it!leoloverDined on 4/11/2014The Chicken under a brick is to die for. Ate in the dining room, service was amazing, chef catered to my gluten free/non-red meat needs. Very impressed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- bombyumtownDined on 3/27/2014Im young and wanted to take my mother out to a fancy meal in boston. I work for another restaurant that used to be owned by Ed Kane. We were hopingt o get some special treatment but he was out of town. Still amazing so happy i went anyways. Drinks were delicious! Food fantastic. Decor is adorable. Maybe they could turn the music down a bit..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great meal and excellent serviceJmanDined on 3/25/2014In Boston for some business and found Gem on OpenTable -- so glad I did. Although it is Italian, it is hipped up Italian. Not your Aunt Connie's canoli (encrusted with caramelized sugar and pistachios). I had the fixed-price Restaurant Week meal (3 courses for $38), and it was well worth it. Panzanella salad was good, but a little too much bread after being served some bread with olive oil to start. Halibut for dinner. Best part was friendliness of servers, including V the bartender.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not a hot spotMarieDined on 3/23/2014It's not the hot spot that they say over internet, the food is very bad, the wine list is very poor, the only good thigs are the service and the music.Special Features:
- Beautiful atmosphere. OnlyOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 3/21/2014Beautiful atmosphere. Only complaint is the music was a little too loud for such an early hour.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Made our night specialOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/12/2014It was our Anniversary that night and the staff was so nice. They recommended great food choices and drinks. That the desert was unbelievable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Snowy Night AloneDCREM1Dined on 2/15/2014We enjoyed the privacy of an empty restaurant because of one night's snow fall. The First course was Caesar Salad for me, and followed by Fried Artichokes..BOTH wonderful. Our Wine was superb. Houge Genesis Cabernet 2010. My wife had the Chicken under a brick with Polenta. It was Marvelous. I ordered the T-Bone Steak. I was a little taken back by the thickness (or lack there of) the steak. It was less than 1/2 inch thick. It was very good, but we thought for $36 it should have been a bit thicker, at least an Inch. The Cannolis were baked, not fried and the sweet cream cheese was to die for.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gem was so nice inside! WeOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/15/2014Gem was so nice inside! We went on a snowy night and it wasn't really busy, so we had great service and the food came out of the kitchen super quick! The food was delicious. I would definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a beautiful dinner experiencevdaygirlDined on 2/14/2014I found the staff at GEM to be friendly and accommodating. Our waitress always checked in on us and was very friendly. The atompshere was romantic and set the mood for the romantic dinner. The food was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/25/2014Fantastic food. Great location for walking distance from train. The lighting was a little dark. We needed the flashlight from our cell phone to see the wine list and would have liked a selection of background music other than all techno.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Drinks, Inconsistent PortionsMeganh329VIPDined on 1/25/2014I really liked this place, you can tell they really know what they are doing with ingredients and flavors, but I was REALLY thrown off my how small my dinner was! To start off, my bf and I got awesome drinks, a Blood Orange Martini and a Whisky Smash (?). We ordered the fried artichoke hearts for an app -delicious! For our main courses, my bf got chicken parm, which was pretty good - not completely outstanding, but a huge portion (he had leftovers and never does). I got a special, fig and goat cheese ravioli. They were good, but the filling in each ravioli was barely bigger than a quarter and I only got FOUR! I finished my plate in about 4 minutes. My bf's plate was about 6x bigger than mine for almost the same price and his had meat!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Noisy and limitedAgingHipsterVIPDined on 1/18/2014This place can't decide whether it wants to be a restaurant or a disco. Music was way too loud to have a conversation and the menu was more narrow and limited than the online menu had suggested. I won't be backSpecial Features:
- music playing in the diningOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 1/17/2014music playing in the dining room was awful - not appropriate for dining and for the ambiance of the roomI would recommend this to a friend.
- Big mistakeOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 1/10/2014We should have looked at Yelp instead of Open Table Reviews -- nothing on Open Table prepared us for the sort of place this is. The restaurant is a tiny dining room attached to a small lounge and club. While the waitstaff wore clothes, we were just embarrassed for the lounge/bar staff -- women wearing barely there bustiers. The dim light and decor just added to the "gentlemen's club" feel. Really bad club music was piped into the dining room. The food was ok (we had one of the meatball dishes and the eggplant parm), but not good enough to make up for really weird ambiance.
- Birthday dinnerColdweatherdinerDined on 1/7/2014We came here for a birthday celebration and were very pleased. It was a rather cold day so there weren't many other diners in the restaurant but the atmosphere of the dining room was nevertheless cozy and romantic. We also appreciated the special addition of crostinis with our drink orders. Although the menu is small, each item offers enough variety that we weren't disappointed in the slightest.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New Years EveBostonTomDined on 12/31/2013We booked a New Years Eve dinner at Gem during Boston First Night. The staff was preparing for the late night party, so they seemed a little distracted when we arrived. It was rather dark and the music was too loud for us, again, these seemed part of the event that was part of the later event. Still, the food was good and we enjoyed the dinner. I want to return for a Sunday lunch sometime, to enjoy it at a different time of day.Special Features:
- The GEM in BostonGpaxmanDined on 12/28/2013We went upstairs, looks like there may be downstairs as well. It has a large bar area that turns into a night club after 10:30. Our appetizers were very tasty we had artichokes and calamari and shared the seabass. All the food was good and the service was very good as well. Our server was very attentive and offered her opinions which I like.Special Features:
- Above and beyondAnonymousVIPDined on 12/28/2013We ate here with a toddler and an infant not knowing ahead of time that this was not a particularly kid-friendly restaurant. However, the staff went above and beyond - ordering a high chair from another restaurant and in general being very accommodating to us. The food came quickly (which is very helpful with small children) and was delicious. Would recommend highly for a night on the town.Special Features:
- great little placemgmacsDined on 12/27/2013A great little place with a cool decor and good food. The egg plant parm and the meatballs were very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Real GemOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 12/7/2013Gem is on a side street in downtown Boston. It's on the second floor and has plenty of unique atmosphere. The restaurant is small but very comfortable. The food is very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GemSkipDined on 12/5/2013A nice find, close to the theatre for our night out. The Veal parm was great, delicious pasta and pasta fagioli. The wine was pricey, and canned music a bit loud, but overall highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Kudos to Gem!invitingVIPDined on 11/30/2013Wow! What a great first experience. Excellent cozy romantic atmosphere. Authentic Italian food. Perfect service. We will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was plentiful and delicious…ouRobJoeDined on 11/30/2013Food was plentiful and delicious…our waitress was fantastic! The chicken park was yummy and the portion just humongous.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A surprising findjodinnerVIPDined on 11/9/2013The staff at the GEM were wonderful and accommodating and friendly without hovering. Though the menu variety was limited, both my guest and I found several dishes we were interested in and would come back to try. We have one problem with a food allergy that they responded swiftly to and it didn't deter from the lovely meal and service. The antipasti was great and I loved the chicken under brick. Sangria was quite tasty. A lovely experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We were a little nervous atOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/8/2013We were a little nervous at first since we were the only ones there on a Friday night at 6:45 for dinner. We were pleasantly surprised. The food and service was excellent.I would recommend this to a friend.
- The chicken was fabulous!Diningout14VIPDined on 9/11/2013Everyone was good especially the burrata app and the chicken under a brick!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Menu too limited. OrderedLovebostonDined on 9/7/2013Menu too limited. Ordered the Chilean sea bass, was very good, but didn't come with anything.Special Features:
- Great food, quirky ambianceOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 8/24/2013Food was surprisingly fantastic. The cocktails seemed a bit undersized and as my wife pointed out, the atmosphere suggested potential to be a bordello in an another incarnation. That said, the service was very good and the food even better than I'd expected from the appetizers down to the desserts. It's definitely worth a trip.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Restaurant Week SamplingBonnieDined on 8/21/2013Our group of 3 went to Gem for restaurant week. We had a reservation and it wasn't busy, so I was surprised when the hostess first wanted to seat us at a hightop in the lounge. But she was happy to move us at a dining room table when we asked. Our waiter was great - friendly and informative. We all chose from the restaurant week menu and were very happy with our choices. The appetizers we sampled were the Bruschetta Buratta and the Goat Cheese Tortellini. Both were very tasty, with fresh ingredients. My entree, hangar steak, was cooked just how I like it and the accompanying potatoes au gratin were delicious. My dining companion who had the salmon was happy were her entree as well. Warm chocolate donuts for dessert. Yum!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.