340 W. Armitage
Chicago, IL 60614Neighborhood:
FonduePrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.gejascafe.com/
- Phone: 7732819101
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm (last seating at 9:30pm);
Friday: 5:00pm - 11pm (last seating at 10:30pm);
Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:30pm (last seating at 11pm);
Sunday: 4:30pm - 9:30pm (last seating at 9pm)
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Fondue
- Executive Chef: Jeff Lawler-Managing Partner
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Entertainment, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Private Room, Smoking Area, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Geja's Cafe can accommodate private parties from 6 to 50 guests.
- Private Party Contact: Jeff Lawler 7732819101
- Entertainment: Flamenco and Classical Guitar 7 nights a week.
- Special Events: Monthly Winemaker Dinners
A word from Geja's Café
Romantic fondue dining & nightly flamenco & classical guitar music draw diners to this cozy café. Entree fondues include shrimp, scallops, lobster, chicken & beef in various combinations. Please be aware that for their safety, children under the age of 10 are not permitted at Geja's. Booth requests will be noted, but can not guaranteed.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
- Diners' Choice WinnerSpecial Occasion
Geja's Café - Best Restaurants in Lincoln Park ›
Geja's Café reviews from OpenTable diners
192 reviews since June 4, 2014
- Ambiance4.7Noise LevelModerate
romantic (176)special occasion (156)notable wine list (103)neighborhood gem (70)fit for foodies (53)good for groups (24)late-night find (17)hot spot (14)scenic view (4)vibrant bar scene (3)kid-friendly (2)great for brunch (2)Show More
- Birthday celebrationmtngirlDined on 9/27/2014Cheese and chocolate fondue - what's not to love? Perfect place for a special birthday celebration. Waitstaff were great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never disappointselliB99Dined on 9/24/2014I will remember the cheese fondue until I die. Stay for the chocolate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Comfortable ExperienceLocalsDined on 9/24/2014Was able to enjoy a non rushed experience with very attentive service, good and substantial food, and an atmosphere allowing conversation. Reservation seems necessary by design, due to length of customers' stays.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dining with Romance and FunfunfoodDined on 9/20/2014Gejas is one of my favorite restaurants for special occasions. It is delicious, romantic, and fun! It is a refreshing change from typical restaurants. You get plenty of healthy food, and you do not feel over-filled because you are eating a little at a time. I highly recommend Gejas.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great fonduepmazcommVIPDined on 9/20/2014First went to Geja's back in the late 80's for special occasions. Brought our young adults back and it was the same and as wonderful as we always remembered. Great service and great food and environment.Special Features:
- Lovely PlaceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/17/2014Extremely well decorated for a romantic evening. On top of the ambiance, the food is delicious and you leave stuffed.Special Features:
- great, again!MitsukoDined on 9/16/2014My friend and I recently dined at Geja's on a Tues night. For a week night, it was packed and very busy so make sure you have reservations! We ordered the steak and lobster premier dinner and was not disappointed. The lobster was plentiful and juicy. The cheese course is probably my favorite. The servers are all very attentive and handle the hot pots and flames with ease.Special Features:
- PORTIONS VERY SMALLOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/15/2014PRICES TO HIGH, PORTIONS SMALL, MELTING POT OFFERS VARIETY OF COOKING OILS, CHEESES, CHOCOLATE. COULDNT UNDERSTAND WAITER, ASST WAITER SPENT MORE TIME AT OUR TABLE AND HELPED WITH DRINKS. EXPLAINED TO WAITER WE HAD PURCHASED A GROUPON AND WE WERE RUNNING LATE AND FORGOT IT, SAID HE COULDNT ASSIST WITH BILL?? WE GOT OUR REFUND BACK THROUGH GROUPON AND WILL NOT BE BACK.
- GoodDancer4gDined on 9/15/2014Felt like servers forgot about us. The food was excellent though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Date-NightFrenchwiDined on 9/15/2014We were first time Fondue'ers and it was extremely approachable and TONS of food, ask for TomSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romantic and wonderful!SandyDined on 9/9/2014The food is amazing. The service is too notch. The ambiance is divine. The wine list is outstanding. Can't think of anything but positive comments. A must for any Chicagoan!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time experience!LeedeeDined on 9/8/2014The food was amazing, the environment was romantic, and the margaritas rocked! Great customer service. Clean atmosphere. Wonderful experience!! Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Restaurantdibs4lifeDined on 9/6/2014I love Geja's cafe! There is a wide variety of different fondue foods to try. Everything is excellent quality and tastes great. It is a great place for special occasions as it can be an expensive night out.Special Features:
- Romantic and DeliciousRenee23Dined on 9/5/2014Overall, just a beautiful dining experience. The ambiance was perfect for a wedding anniversary celebration and the food was to die for.Special Features:
- Wonderful FoodLucyathereDined on 8/30/2014It is fun to cook your own food in a pot of hot vegetable broth or vegetable oil. You choose the type of meat you want and with the premium meals you get the Cheese fondue to start and then your main meal. The raw veggies and potatoes cook along with your meat in the fondue pot. Finishing it off with the delicious chocolate fondue make the meal complete. Excellent!!! This is an excellent place to celebrate!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- labor day weekendLoriDined on 8/29/2014We had a great evening but it was a very expensive one.Special Features:
- Never DisappointedFrequentTravelerDined on 8/29/2014We have been visiting Geja's for special occasions and spur of the moment indulgences for almost 20 years. Service is always exceptional and the atmosphere is vibrant yet intimate. The bartender and our waiter suggested wines that were perfect for our evening and the food is always cooked perfectly!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New experienceCcFondueDined on 8/28/2014Overall was great for a new place. Very accommodating, some guests were late and they were very patient and understanding. It was a little to dark to need flashlights and a bit noisy. I really enjoyed the food and service, 1st time having fondue. My guests and I loved the chocolate & cheese combo.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great fooddischwarDined on 8/26/2014Geja's provides great food at slightly high prices - it's worth it for a special occasion. At least for vegetarians there is a wonderful platter offered with a number of tasty dipping sauces. I quite recommend it!Special Features:
- TRIED & TRUEHARLEYBOYDined on 8/26/2014The moment we entered we were wished a happy anniversary by the hostess, other staff & our waiter. We felt very special. This is the most romantic restaurant. They don't allow children in under age 10. So, your evening won't be ruined by you-know-what! More fine dining restaurants should follow Geja`s policy. The food was fresh, perfect portions & lots of fun cooking it yourself. Perfect for a first date, second date, etc. You won't be disappointed. There's a reason Geja`s been successful for almost 5 decades. As we left, one if the owners asked if we had a good evening. INDEED.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious but small portionsNiklesDined on 8/25/2014The food was delicious, the sauces were amazing. We loved the taste of everything - although very small inside, the atmosphere was romantic and quiet and private. However, portions were very small. This restaurant is not for big eaters.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go for the experience.ToddDined on 8/25/2014This was a great one time experience with the family. I took my 10 y/o and he was not happy with the menus options. I think it is a great place to bring out of town folks or for a romantics date.Special Features:
- gejassteveatsDined on 8/23/2014The experience was good. My wife and I have been there before and that night we were celebrating our anniversary. The only disappointment was where we were seated, we requested a booth but were told we have to wait a half hour or more. Kinda hurt the intimacy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romantic and FunfonduehappinessDined on 8/21/2014My boyfriend and I went here for my birthday as an alternative to our typical fondue restaurant and were very pleased. Initially it was a stand out place because they sent a very generous birthday coupon, once we arrived I found our servers to be very attentive and sincere while not being overbearing. Furthermore, there was so much delicious food and unlike other fondue restaurants the process was quicker so while the dinner was a little longer we weren't spending our entire evening there. Overall a very positive experience.Special Features:
- Back AgainiwalasVIPDined on 8/21/2014Geja's is one of our regular spots for a night out. We visit about 3-4 times per year. Always romantic and relaxing, and the servers are always happy to accommodate a 2nd cooking pot for my girlfriend who does not eat meat. We love the cheese fondue, though it seemed like the recipe may have changed a bit on our last visit. My only wish/recommendation is one or two more pieces of meat or fish on the premier dinners. They are pricey at about $50-60 each. Would one more shrimp or piece of steak or chicken hurt the bottom line? Regardless, always fresh salads and veggies are a good substitute for extra meat. We will definitely be back.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/17/2014I have been to Geja's a few times, but not in the past 15 years. It is always a wonderful place to eat and still is today!I would recommend this to a friend.
- RomanticRomeoDined on 8/16/2014The most romantic restaurant I've been to. Very friendly staff, great ambience, and the service was timed well without interrupting the mood. Would definitely recommend to couples.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WOW, very impressed as alwaysOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/15/2014Tom and Miguel were fantastic servers. Ambience was outstanding!!! Private label merlot paired very well with the dinner choiceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great for special occasions.pizzaqittyDined on 8/14/2014With the welcoming and warm atmosphere-wines lining the walls, candlelit tables, formal servers- Geja's is a must. Great service and even better food. The flaming chocolate fondue is absolutely imperative-you even get to roast your own marshmallows. It was perfect for my six month anniversary with my boyfriend and we definitely plan on coming back. Yum!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I go every time I come to ChicagoFondueDined on 8/13/2014We go every time we come to Chicago. COZY romantic fun different. Crowded every day of the weekSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MehhhJamminDined on 8/10/2014Way overpriced for food that isn't creative or interesting. Can't deny the romantic atmosphere, but that slowly dissipates as you are trying to fish out a lost mushroom in a pot of boiling water. In fairness, that's what fondue is though...I swear the BBQ sauce is Sweet Baby Ray's too.Special Features:
- Geja's AmbianceAngelinaBrianDined on 8/9/2014The ambiance and atmosphere of this place is wonderful. It would have been nice to have more of a choice of cheese and dessert fondues, but that's my preference. But, it was such a cozy, romantic, intimate place that we will definitely be coming back for special occasions!Special Features:
- Highly recommendSamIamDined on 8/7/2014What a great find. Great romantic atmosphere with candle-lit lighting, I felt like I was at a cafe in Europe! Our server was wonderful, very kind as well as helpful. The premier fondue dinner was a fun experience and delicious too! Great wine selection. Fairly priced for the experience. I would highly recommend Geja's for a romantic evening, and look forward to going again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romantic!trueloveDined on 8/7/2014By far the most romantic resturant I've ever been to.Special Features:
- Great, romantic experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/6/2014My girlfriend and I had an excellent time at Geja's. The food is delicious and the fondue experience is a lot of fun. Very romantic ambience, with very pleasant and helpful wait staffSpecial Features:
- Huge DisappointmentAristosDined on 8/2/2014I made reservations a day or so before we went. I asked for a quiet and intimate table. Then we were seated right next to the front door. Not at all what I had in mind. There was a cold draft on us as well. In fact, it made the sterno to warm the fondue keep going out. The server finally brought a sheet metal shroud to put around the base, but it never did get warm enough to cook without a longer cooking time than what our server suggested. My friend was so excited to go, and was not impressed. She remarked how close the tables were to each other. The food quality was good, but thats the only positive aspect. Overall, for the $, it was not much value for the money. I don't think with the prices, we'll give it another try.
- longtime favorite, still excitinglibrarian60618Dined on 8/2/2014I have been going to Geja's for 15 years and still love it to pieces.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fun timeofficerbarrientos2042Dined on 8/1/2014The server was great, had fun great drinks as well I'll recommend for a date for that romantic night outSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Such a wonderful surprise!FoodFoodFoodDined on 8/1/2014I took my boyfriend here for his birthday last week and was so pleasantly surprised by everything. The staff was extremely helpful and friendly, and our waiter was able to make several honest recommendations related to both food and wine choices. The food itself was good, and it was definitely very filling. I got the seafood deluxe and my boyfriend got the beef and lobster - we weren't able to finish our meals. The best part was doing the fondue ourselves. I also have to say I absolutely loved the decor! It was pretty dark inside, but that gave it a nice, comfortable ambiance. I'd recommend this to anyone looking for a fun, romantic, and somewhat affordable night out in quite a nice restaurant.
- theOccasionalDinerDined on 7/31/2014Geja's is my favorite Chicago restaurant. A dining adventure. Great background music so that you can have a private conversation with diners at your table. The food takes some time to eat/cook so you do not have a rushed atmosphere. The staff is terrific. I don't get downtown often, but over the years I have taken my very best friends there to celebrate friendship. I always enjoy Geja's.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.