340 W. Armitage
Chicago, IL 60614Neighborhood:
FonduePrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.gejascafe.com/
- Phone: 7732819101
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm (last seating at 9:30pm);
Friday: 5:00pm - 11pm (last seating at 10:30pm);
Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:30pm (last seating at 11pm);
Sunday: 4:30pm - 9:30pm (last seating at 9pm)
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Fondue
- Executive Chef: Jeff Lawler-Managing Partner
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Entertainment, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Private Room, Smoking Area, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Geja's Cafe can accommodate private parties from 6 to 50 guests.
- Private Party Contact: Jeff Lawler 7732819101
- Entertainment: Flamenco and Classical Guitar 7 nights a week.
- Special Events: Monthly Winemaker Dinners
A word from Geja's Café
Romantic fondue dining & nightly flamenco & classical guitar music draw diners to this cozy café. Entree fondues include shrimp, scallops, lobster, chicken & beef in various combinations. Please be aware that for their safety, children under the age of 10 are not permitted at Geja's. Booth requests will be noted, but can not guaranteed.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
Geja's Café - Best Restaurants in Lincoln Park ›
Geja's Café reviews from OpenTable diners
200 reviews since May 6, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
romantic (185)special occasion (168)notable wine list (112)neighborhood gem (73)fit for foodies (50)good for groups (28)late-night find (19)hot spot (16)scenic view (6)vibrant bar scene (2)kid-friendly (2)great for brunch (2)great for lunch (1)Show More
- Wonderful FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/30/2014It is fun to cook your own food in a pot of hot vegetable broth or vegetable oil. You choose the type of meat you want and with the premium meals you get the Cheese fondue to start and then your main meal. The raw veggies and potatoes cook along with your meat in the fondue pot. Finishing it off with the delicious chocolate fondue make the meal complete. Excellent!!! This is an excellent place to celebrate!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- labor day weekendLoriDined on 8/29/2014We had a great evening but it was a very expensive one.Special Features:
- Never DisappointedFrequentTravelerDined on 8/29/2014We have been visiting Geja's for special occasions and spur of the moment indulgences for almost 20 years. Service is always exceptional and the atmosphere is vibrant yet intimate. The bartender and our waiter suggested wines that were perfect for our evening and the food is always cooked perfectly!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New experienceCcFondueDined on 8/28/2014Overall was great for a new place. Very accommodating, some guests were late and they were very patient and understanding. It was a little to dark to need flashlights and a bit noisy. I really enjoyed the food and service, 1st time having fondue. My guests and I loved the chocolate & cheese combo.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great fooddischwarDined on 8/26/2014Geja's provides great food at slightly high prices - it's worth it for a special occasion. At least for vegetarians there is a wonderful platter offered with a number of tasty dipping sauces. I quite recommend it!Special Features:
- TRIED & TRUEHARLEYBOYDined on 8/26/2014The moment we entered we were wished a happy anniversary by the hostess, other staff & our waiter. We felt very special. This is the most romantic restaurant. They don't allow children in under age 10. So, your evening won't be ruined by you-know-what! More fine dining restaurants should follow Geja`s policy. The food was fresh, perfect portions & lots of fun cooking it yourself. Perfect for a first date, second date, etc. You won't be disappointed. There's a reason Geja`s been successful for almost 5 decades. As we left, one if the owners asked if we had a good evening. INDEED.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious but small portionsNiklesDined on 8/25/2014The food was delicious, the sauces were amazing. We loved the taste of everything - although very small inside, the atmosphere was romantic and quiet and private. However, portions were very small. This restaurant is not for big eaters.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go for the experience.ToddDined on 8/25/2014This was a great one time experience with the family. I took my 10 y/o and he was not happy with the menus options. I think it is a great place to bring out of town folks or for a romantics date.Special Features:
- gejassteveatsDined on 8/23/2014The experience was good. My wife and I have been there before and that night we were celebrating our anniversary. The only disappointment was where we were seated, we requested a booth but were told we have to wait a half hour or more. Kinda hurt the intimacy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romantic and FunfonduehappinessDined on 8/21/2014My boyfriend and I went here for my birthday as an alternative to our typical fondue restaurant and were very pleased. Initially it was a stand out place because they sent a very generous birthday coupon, once we arrived I found our servers to be very attentive and sincere while not being overbearing. Furthermore, there was so much delicious food and unlike other fondue restaurants the process was quicker so while the dinner was a little longer we weren't spending our entire evening there. Overall a very positive experience.Special Features:
- Back AgainiwalasVIPDined on 8/21/2014Geja's is one of our regular spots for a night out. We visit about 3-4 times per year. Always romantic and relaxing, and the servers are always happy to accommodate a 2nd cooking pot for my girlfriend who does not eat meat. We love the cheese fondue, though it seemed like the recipe may have changed a bit on our last visit. My only wish/recommendation is one or two more pieces of meat or fish on the premier dinners. They are pricey at about $50-60 each. Would one more shrimp or piece of steak or chicken hurt the bottom line? Regardless, always fresh salads and veggies are a good substitute for extra meat. We will definitely be back.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/17/2014I have been to Geja's a few times, but not in the past 15 years. It is always a wonderful place to eat and still is today!I would recommend this to a friend.
- RomanticRomeoDined on 8/16/2014The most romantic restaurant I've been to. Very friendly staff, great ambience, and the service was timed well without interrupting the mood. Would definitely recommend to couples.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WOW, very impressed as alwaysOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/15/2014Tom and Miguel were fantastic servers. Ambience was outstanding!!! Private label merlot paired very well with the dinner choiceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great for special occasions.pizzaqittyDined on 8/14/2014With the welcoming and warm atmosphere-wines lining the walls, candlelit tables, formal servers- Geja's is a must. Great service and even better food. The flaming chocolate fondue is absolutely imperative-you even get to roast your own marshmallows. It was perfect for my six month anniversary with my boyfriend and we definitely plan on coming back. Yum!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I go every time I come to ChicagoFondueDined on 8/13/2014We go every time we come to Chicago. COZY romantic fun different. Crowded every day of the weekSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MehhhJamminDined on 8/10/2014Way overpriced for food that isn't creative or interesting. Can't deny the romantic atmosphere, but that slowly dissipates as you are trying to fish out a lost mushroom in a pot of boiling water. In fairness, that's what fondue is though...I swear the BBQ sauce is Sweet Baby Ray's too.Special Features:
- Geja's AmbianceAngelinaBrianDined on 8/9/2014The ambiance and atmosphere of this place is wonderful. It would have been nice to have more of a choice of cheese and dessert fondues, but that's my preference. But, it was such a cozy, romantic, intimate place that we will definitely be coming back for special occasions!Special Features:
- Highly recommendSamIamDined on 8/7/2014What a great find. Great romantic atmosphere with candle-lit lighting, I felt like I was at a cafe in Europe! Our server was wonderful, very kind as well as helpful. The premier fondue dinner was a fun experience and delicious too! Great wine selection. Fairly priced for the experience. I would highly recommend Geja's for a romantic evening, and look forward to going again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romantic!trueloveDined on 8/7/2014By far the most romantic resturant I've ever been to.Special Features:
- Great, romantic experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/6/2014My girlfriend and I had an excellent time at Geja's. The food is delicious and the fondue experience is a lot of fun. Very romantic ambience, with very pleasant and helpful wait staffSpecial Features:
- Huge DisappointmentAristosDined on 8/2/2014I made reservations a day or so before we went. I asked for a quiet and intimate table. Then we were seated right next to the front door. Not at all what I had in mind. There was a cold draft on us as well. In fact, it made the sterno to warm the fondue keep going out. The server finally brought a sheet metal shroud to put around the base, but it never did get warm enough to cook without a longer cooking time than what our server suggested. My friend was so excited to go, and was not impressed. She remarked how close the tables were to each other. The food quality was good, but thats the only positive aspect. Overall, for the $, it was not much value for the money. I don't think with the prices, we'll give it another try.
- longtime favorite, still excitinglibrarian60618Dined on 8/2/2014I have been going to Geja's for 15 years and still love it to pieces.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Such a wonderful surprise!FoodFoodFoodDined on 8/1/2014I took my boyfriend here for his birthday last week and was so pleasantly surprised by everything. The staff was extremely helpful and friendly, and our waiter was able to make several honest recommendations related to both food and wine choices. The food itself was good, and it was definitely very filling. I got the seafood deluxe and my boyfriend got the beef and lobster - we weren't able to finish our meals. The best part was doing the fondue ourselves. I also have to say I absolutely loved the decor! It was pretty dark inside, but that gave it a nice, comfortable ambiance. I'd recommend this to anyone looking for a fun, romantic, and somewhat affordable night out in quite a nice restaurant.
- theOccasionalDinerDined on 7/31/2014Geja's is my favorite Chicago restaurant. A dining adventure. Great background music so that you can have a private conversation with diners at your table. The food takes some time to eat/cook so you do not have a rushed atmosphere. The staff is terrific. I don't get downtown often, but over the years I have taken my very best friends there to celebrate friendship. I always enjoy Geja's.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AwesomeTCDiningDined on 7/30/2014Geja's is always our most favorite dinner spot while in Chicago, actually it is the ONLY place we have dinners. Great original Fondue, the service is impeccably perfect...Food is top shelf!!Special Features:
- So romantic.wshaneDined on 7/27/2014I've been to Geja's twice and both times it was amazing. The food is absolutely delicious, the ambience is terribly romantic, and the service is excellent. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- Gejas Allways DeliversJimBDined on 7/27/2014I took my wife to Geja's for her birthday last week. This is almost an annual tradition. We have been going to Geja's for over 30 years together and the food never disappoints. The fondue atmosphere is perfect for talking while the food cooks. The many sauces, vegetables, meats and seafood give everyone something to choose from. This time, we tried the hot broth instead of the oil for cooking and enjoyed the lighter touch. If you have not eaten here before definitely put this on your food bucket list.Special Features:
- ShirleyDined on 7/26/2014The quality of the meat and sea food is excellent and there was plenty. Fondue is a fun and different experience. I have been to another fondue restaurant but was totally unimpressed. The drinks were well made. The servers were attentive but not annoying. the restaurant is dimly lit and there is space between diners so you feel like you have privacy. I have been to Geja's about 10 times and enjoy it every time. They just celebrated their 50th anniversary.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very romantic!ereckertDined on 7/25/2014The food was great and the atmosphere was very romantic. I loved the cheese and chocolate fondues.Special Features:
- Another great meal!ErloVIPDined on 7/19/2014Geja's continues to be our go-to spot for fondue. Best fondue in the city with more-than-adequate portions, fantastically large selection of dipping sauces, extensive wine list, and bar-none best-in-class service. As a repeat diner, the staff knows us and welcomes us every time. Our waiter was Blake, who is usually the wine expert behind the bar, and was receptive, fun, and responsive. The water glasses are constantly refilled so you never go thirsty. If you haven't dined here yet, you are missing the finest jewel in Chicago dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still wonderful after 49 years!!!BXVGirlDined on 7/19/2014My husband and I loved our dinner here. The cheese fondue is very authentic - as good as the fondue in Switzerland. The cheese mixture is accented with nutmeg and a strong dose of wine and kirsch which gives it a bite. The atmosphere is old world romantic and the live guitar music is especially lovely. The service is also warm and friendly. Make a reservation because they are extremely popular.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great time!wiscoDined on 7/15/2014My boyfriend and I went there for our anniversary and it was outstanding! We sat in this dark, romantic looking corner secluded from everyone else. The music playing was so nice, the scenery was beautiful too. The food was delicious! I'm not one who likes to fry my vegetables but it was a great experience. Their cheese fondue was ah-mazing!!!! The wait staff was really nice and funny. We had a great time, we would definitely go there again.Special Features:
- Great experiencejenenicholsDined on 7/12/2014My brother proposed to his girlfriend at dinner and the Geja's staff went out of their way to make everything amazing. Definitely a go to place for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still raving about it!TarynJVIPDined on 7/12/2014Gejas was fantastic! I can't say enough positive things about the service, the romantic ambience and live guitarist, the outstanding food... It was such a great experience. I recommend taking your time there! If you get a premiere meal, you'll be so full you won't be able to move.Special Features:
- Charming and RomanticjmomDined on 7/12/2014Geja's Cafe was recommended to us as a Chicago favorite by a friend. This was our first visit to the restaurant and my husband and I celebrated our 15th wedding anniversary there. The food was delicious and the service was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful!swillingDined on 7/6/2014We have been going to Geja's for special occasions since 1978! We love the food and atmosphere and the service is always the best. We have taken many friends there and our family always chooses it for celebrating special occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A reason to celebrateSecondtimeisthecharmDined on 7/4/2014Outstanding restaurant 49 plus years and running! There's a good reason -- always impeccable!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 7continenteaterDined on 7/4/2014Fantastic. Great food, ambiance and absolutely the best service ever. Geja's Cafe is a really nice place and superb for special occasions. Loved it!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yummy, special date experiencemmkchicagoVIPDined on 7/2/2014We were lucky enough to get a reservation during Geja's anniversary week...when food is 49% off. It's always a great date experience there and even better at basically half price.Special Features: