2101 Milvia St
Berkeley, CA 94704Neighborhood:
ThaiPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://geckogeckothai.com/
- Phone: 5106654811
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Sunday: 11:30am - 3:00pm.
Dinner: Monday - Friday: 4:30pm - 9:00pm, Saturday - Sunday: 4:30pm - 9:30pm.
- Payment Options: Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Southeast Asian, Thai
- Executive Chef: Weerachai Chaiwong
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Cafe, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wine
- Catering: We provide catering for meetings, parties, receptions & more! Call us for more information and to set up a catering meeting.
A word from Gecko Gecko
Gecko Gecko Thai-California Eatery welcomes you to our casual, warm, yet lively dining room, and to enjoy our array of both authentic, and unique, Thai menu items. Our goal is to bring fresh California ingredients and flavors and introduce them to our southeast Asian recipes, for a unique and satisfying result. We use fresh ingredients, and organic vegetables, fruit, meats and seafood whenever possible; our beef is the highest quality free-range flank steak, and our duck is breast-only free-range that we roast ourselves. We invite you to join us, the Gecko is waiting to meet you!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
Gecko Gecko - Best Restaurants in Berkeley ›
Gecko Gecko reviews from OpenTable diners
20 reviews since May 4, 2014
- Ambiance3.3Noise LevelModerate
great for lunch (11)neighborhood gem (10)kid-friendly (2)fit for foodies (2)great for brunch (1)good for groups (1)special occasion (1)Show More
- Great Fresh FoodCecilDined on 8/9/2014The best thing about the food at Gecko Gecko is its freshness. The veggies are always great and their portion sizes are good. Love their spring rolls with shrimp!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- really good Thai foodavocadoDined on 8/7/2014My husband and I had "jammin' salmon," which is tasty and includes three different green vegetables: yay! Might never want to have anything else. A friend who works nearby introduced me to it, and gave this endorsement: Although it's a place she goes to from work, she chose to come here with husband to celebrate their anniversary. Our lunch there the other day (12:30 Thursday) had really high noise level, but when I went before with my friend it was quiet and they had very tasteful background music, which I'm not even a fan of background music in restaurants at all, but this time I liked it. "Gecko" decorative motif is charming.Special Features:
- Alot of better Thai food out theretammyDined on 7/27/2014Went pre-theater to grab some lunch, Sunday. Not great as Thai salads were bland. Had also, eggplant/mushroom/chicken/basil. Menu advises marinated mushrooms. WOW, it was overly marinated with salt!! And, i like salt,.. but this was too much. Rice was not fresh, microwaved up from previous day. I am asian , so i know. I don't recommend this place. There are so many other places to go to .
- Good but noisycomerporfueraDined on 7/17/2014This is a nice restaurant, with good ambiance and good food. The noise level though is way too high. It is very difficult to carry a conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lunch diningwineanddineVIPDined on 7/15/2014Food was very tasty. The server made sure we knew which dishes were on the spicier side. As we wanted to share our plates, he made sure it was served that way, as they don't normally have that during the lunch hours. Parking was very easy as the public lot is steps away.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Basic but tasty and affordableHungryVIPDined on 6/30/2014Basic but tasty and affordable. Pretty good lunch spot during a weekday, or a good place to get simple thai (somewhat americanized) foodSpecial Features:
- Close to theatreKadenicaDined on 6/10/2014Very good Tai food. Close to theaters. Convenient
- YummyDined on 6/8/2014This restaurant never disappoints. Everything colorful andfresh, and tasty without being overly spicey.Special Features:
- Always goodMillValleyfoodieDined on 6/3/2014The food here is consistently fresh, tasty and interesting. I love the mango salad!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for lunchCecilDined on 6/1/2014We eat here often for lunch before a show at Berkeley Rep. The food is always fresh and the service is good too. You can't beat the location, right across the street from the theater. I recommend making a reservation on Open Table, as it does get busy. Very friendly neighborhood place.Special Features:
- The following 39 reviews are from the Gecko Gecko reviews archive.
- Yummy food before Berkeley RrpBarbiVIPDined on 4/25/2014We enjoy having dinner at Gecko Gecko before going to Berkeley Rep, which is right across the street. The Eggplant in Basil Sauce is outstanding! The Pad Thai was very good but the prawns did not taste fresh...the only reason I could not put 5 stars. Very busy before a show...need to make a reservation...but, be careful: only lunch, not dinner, reservations can be made on Open Table!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fresh and DeliciousDickensVIPDined on 4/22/2014We hadn't dined at Gecko Gecko for some time and my taste buds delighted in the experience. Definitely back on my list for pre-theater dining.
- Great food, prices, and location.GregandSueDined on 3/30/2014We have eaten here several times and always found the food very tasty and reasonably priced. We like that it is conveniently located close to Berkeley Rep.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another great mealCecilDined on 3/23/2014Gecko Gecko consistently offers the freshest tasting, delicious Thai food. I have been there many times, usually before a Sunday matinee at Berkely Rep (across the street) and Gecko Gecko has never disappointed. Their shrimp spring rolls are fantastic and their Pad Thai is great. Service is always attentive. I'll be going back for more soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect pre-theater diningBonnieDined on 3/16/2014In the heart of Berkeley's theater district, this small and attractive restaurant's menu presents a great variety of excellent Thai dishes, both standard and inventive. Ingredients very fresh and perfectly prepared, veggies never overdone. Sauces piquant and tasty. Choices of tofu, chicken or beef suits all palates. Prices amazingly affordable. Quick and friendly service gets you out by curtain time.Special Features:
- Very convenient to BerkeleyOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/15/2014Very convenient to Berkeley Rep. Lunch is good and quick. No need to hurry.Special Features:
- Nice Saturday lunchrickyrickyDined on 3/1/2014We had a party of 3 for a small special occasion. We mostly ordered off the lunch menu, plus an appetizer for the three of us. One of us enjoys lots of spice. The other two take mild. However, we were all able to share the spicy disk. (Sorry, I don't recall exactly what we order.) The decor is perhaps a bit spartan, but otherwise very nice. In general, it was very much worth the money.Special Features:
- Gecko Gecko is very good Thai foodCHW1Dined on 2/26/2014Had a delightful lunch. Excellent curry and pad thai. Good service. Bare walls and hard-surface décor make for a noisy place if there is a crowd -- but what modern restaurant isn't designed that way?Special Features:
- Freshest Thai food!carmencatVIPDined on 2/11/2014the fresh spring rolls are excellent, as are the soups. In fact every dish we ordered tasted so crisp and fresh and flavorful. Gecko's version of pad thai is outstanding.Special Features:
- repeat customersChance4meVIPDined on 2/9/2014We almost always eat here before going to Berkeley Rep. It is right across the street and the food is consistently good. Our favorite dishes revolve around salmon and we love the fried banana desert. .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Near Freight & SalvageMomzillaDined on 1/21/2014Gecko Gecko offers an excellent lighter than usual Thai dining experience. It's very casual, the service was great and the food yummy. It's proximity to the Freight & Salvage music venue (and Berkeley Rep) means I will return often. Parking garages available very nearby.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- delicious lunchtheatergoerDined on 1/5/2014I treated two of my friends to a play at Berkeley Rep and we ate lunch at Gecko Gecko beforehand because it is across the street from the theater. We all enjoyed our meal very much. The food was flavorful and presented nicely. The service was prompt and attentive and we didn't have to wait long for our meals. I had a reservation and we were seated right away. We were able to eat and pay with plenty of time to get to the theater. Overall it was a wonderful experience and we will continue to go there, especially if we are going to a play!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceptional food, beautifulOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/31/2013Exceptional food, beautiful presentation, attentive service. Highly recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Thai foodluvg8foodDined on 12/31/2013My husband and I are Thai cuisine fan and we enjoyed eating at Gecko Gecko. We had relies who were not Thai food fans and they were also very happy with the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good Thai food!MiffedDined on 12/28/2013We came here for lunch before a show at the Rep. The food was really good - we had the coconut soup and the red curry with salmon. The service was very attentive, and the ambience was simple and clean. We will be back the next time we are in the area!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gecko SalmonJunieDined on 12/16/2013Be sure to try Gecko Gecko's Jammin' Salmon...it is super delicious!Special Features:
- Near Berkeley RepPhilVIPDined on 12/5/2013The food is fairly good and the service very nice. For us the decision to dine here (which we've done a few times) is its proximity to Berkeley Rep (and ticket holders also get a 10% discount). It is a block away and the staff seems well attuned to ensuring you get to the show with time to spare. They have some novel items on the menu and the prices are very reasonable.Special Features:
- Will returnBestVIPDined on 12/1/2013If you're going to the Berkeley Rep, I highly recommend this restaurant. The Thai food was authentic, with choices of spiciness. The price for lunch, approximately $15 a person, was a true bargain. If you like Thai food, make this your stop.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First Time...AlejandroDined on 11/24/2013Enjoyed the food. Creative menu with a many of choices. I had the Duck Curry and it was Wonderful. I plan on going back when I'm in Berkeley.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service was courteous andMaveDined on 11/5/2013Service was courteous and efficient. Food was excellent!Special Features:
- Very convenient if seeingkathyVIPDined on 10/27/2013Very convenient if seeing a show at Berkeley Rep. Will take advantage of the dinner combos offered next time. One slight problem with the coconut soup, the menu had detailed descriptions listing the ingredients, but did not mention the liberal garnish of chili oil , making the dish very spicy. I was able to scoop it out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really good Thaiekc415Dined on 10/15/2013We went to Gecko Gecko before a performance at Berkeley Rep (perfect location) and were pleasantly surprised. Everything was so flavorful and bright. The spring rolls had a lovely twist, including creative flavors that were perfect together. I can't wait to go back and have them again. The food was excellent and timely.Special Features:
- Gecko on a week nightTanyaDined on 10/8/2013Way too noisy for us. Not a big space and crammed full. Food so-so. Servers very nice though.
- Great food, lousy servicebarbsbergDined on 9/30/2013At dinner, the first time I ate here, the food and the service were excellent. At lunch, on my second visit, the food again was great, but the service was so bad that if I had not eaten here before, I would not return. As it is, I will return for the fine food, and hope that the service improves.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Thai food in heart of BerkeleyPhilVIPDined on 8/22/2013Got the recommendation from the Berkeley Rep web site - they discount meals for same day ticket holders. Is only a half block from the Rep and Freight & Salvage. Food was very good. Had one of their variations on Pad Thai with a "country" sauce and it was very good and tasty. My wife had one of the lunch specials and it was more an appetizer that a meal serving size, although very tasty. Had an item recommended by Yelp readers - mango/duck rolls and they were a bit disappointing. You had to look hard to see the sliver of duck and a few slivers of mange. They were pretty standard fare. Staff was very friendly and would definitely go back and ask a few more questions before ordering.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love Those Geckos!NavkaDined on 8/20/2013Sweet and friendly service at this wonderful Thai spot. Location is perfect--a block or two off the beaten path, and yet easy to get. We love especially the green papaya salad and the noodle dishes. It's a busy spot, so do yourselves and the Geckos a favor and make reservations in advance!Special Features:
- Spice it up, guys!MidniteDined on 8/13/2013This restaurant was a disappointment to me in an unusual way. The location was great, the atmosphere was just fine, the service was attentive, the price was right, the dishes were fresh-looking and attractive -- but the cook does not understand seasoning. It was all bland. I go to Southeast Asian restaurants for the exotic flavors and spices. This was a first for me in such an environment. I never thought I'd be complaining about bland food at a Thai restaurant! Even salt was missing -- and not readily available on the tables. All three of us thought the same thing. Spice it up guys!
- Noteworthy!NancyVIPDined on 8/6/2013Excellent neighborhood Thai meal--each dish is individual with excellent ingredients. One of our favorites when we have tickets for Berkeley Rep or Freight & Salvage.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was very good. ServicekathyVIPDined on 6/18/2013Food was very good. Service very friendly, but with a few glitches. Had asked for no cilantro and no white pepper on the dish, but they still came with the cilantro and heavy white pepper garnish piled on top. Told the staff, and they apologized but did not offer to replace the dish. They were busy. My friend was also told that the yellow curry was mild, but it was medium hot. Would go back again as the staff is personable and it's conveient when going to Berkeley Rep.Special Features:
- Delicious Thai food, friendly spotOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/7/2013I often go to Gecko Gecko before a show at Berkeley Rep, because it's so close by and the food is truly delicious. The menu is a bit small, so that the chef can do a beautiful job with each dish. The spices are delicately done -- each dish has a wholly distinctive taste. We've especially loved the pumpkin red curry, sauteed basil and eggplant, and a special chili seafood dish, with mussels, squid and prawns. The staff is quiet and friendly, very attentive, and the atmosphere is always warm and cheerful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.