G.E.B. (Graham Elliot Bistro)
841 W. Randolph St.
Chicago, IL 60607Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
G.E.B. (Graham Elliot Bistro)
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.gebistro.com/
- Phone: (312) 888-2258
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday-Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
Friday, Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Graham Elliot
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wine
- Private Party Facilities: The dining room and private courtyard (when available) can be bought out for private dining.
- Private Party Contact: email@example.com 3128882258x
A word from G.E.B. (Graham Elliot Bistro)
With focus on the technique and craft of cooking, graham elliot bistro brings the "perfection of simplicity" to the table. Local, farm fresh ingredients help to provide a seasonal menu paired with small production wines and craft beers. Chef Elliot's genuine, approachable personality along with his love of food and music is the inspiration for the bistro.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
G.E.B. (Graham Elliot Bistro) reviews from OpenTable diners
178 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (134)special occasion (73)great for outdoor dining (50)neighborhood gem (44)hot spot (44)romantic (39)notable wine list (33)good for groups (24)late-night find (5)vibrant bar scene (4)kid-friendly (3)great for brunch (3)scenic view (2)great for lunch (2)Show More
- Graham has created a Vibrant and Fun ExperienceJohnnyash5VIPDined on 11/22/2014We were seated right at our reservation time by an attentive hostess and immediately greeted by a knowledgeable, but not pushy waiter. The wine list by the glass was very good and was made available by the bottle at a very reasonable rate. The experience was well timed with fantastic dishes from start to finish. The deconstructed Caesar is something I have never experienced before and came with a decadent oversized crouton. For entrees, the beef stroganoff was everyone's favorite and yet not fatty despite the cut of roast that was used. We had to opportunity to meet Chef Elliott and must say he was genuine and humble and was very gracious. We had a wonderful experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Review from the weekendOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/22/2014We dined at Graham Elliot this weekend and had an amazing meal with great company. We tried many dishes on the menu and really liked. The deconstructed Caesar was really unique and delicious. We all loved the parmesan fluff / brioche Twinkie. I would definitely dine there again soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- chi312Dined on 11/22/2014Food was amazingly delicious, service was excellent and very attentive. We thoroughly enjoyed our dining experience and highly recommend G.E.B.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LaurentDined on 11/21/2014Our first visit to geb was recommended by a colleague. A short cab ride from our hotel on the river, it was friendly and vibrant. Waiter was attentive and friendly. We shared appies. The deconstructed caesar, reportedly a fav, did not do justice to caesar. The crouton was in our opinion more cheese-filled croquette. The beet appie was excellent with diferent coloured beets etc and an excellent light vinaigrette. We also shared an excellent chicken dish with spetzle and veggie. All in all a pleasant evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing redesign of food you know done so well!ToniandScottDined on 11/21/2014Our experience was more than wonderful! We will think about the deconstructed Ceasar and the "twinkie" crouton forever! The stroganoff was divine, the risotto yummy and the divers scallops luscious. Our only complaint of the night was that the polenta needed some salt. Each of us had three courses and then shared a dessert. We talked to Chef Graham twice--he was friendly and very humble! AMAZING food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, ok atmospherenicknameDined on 11/20/2014Food was very good, with smaller portions. At first music was way to loud and not to our liking at all, but it got better as we ate.I would recommend this to a friend.
- PerfectionJasonKDined on 11/14/2014The food, ambiance, and setting were all perfect for my girlfriend's birthday. The service was exceptional and we will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food-terrible servicecharlieDined on 11/14/2014Most annoying waiter - twice asked us for our food order before we received our bottle of wine. Waiter continued to bother us to order our meals for 40 minutes - He finally had the nerve to say "the chef wants your order now". Not sure what the issue was, as their were open tables in the restaurant. We will probably never return.
- G.E.B. - Chicago VisitMikeFDined on 11/11/2014Love Master Chef and decided to go to G.E.B. for dinner while out in Chicago. Place was empty on a Tuesday night. I mean so empty that we were the only people there. I was curious what the deal was so I went down the street to another somewhat famous restaurant. That restaurant was packed. So it wasn't the Tuesday night meaning it had to be something else. I think I figured it out. The food was pricey and just okay. Pieces of the meal were very good (gnocchi) but all together it was just okay. It was nothing exceptional and not sure there was something that would make me go back. Dinner was okay but the experience was a bit of a let down. PS Hostess made it seem that Graham never shows up there. That was disappointing.Special Features:
- They still have truffle popcorn!OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 11/8/2014The latest offering from Graham Elliot combines aspects from his previous iterations. It's a lot more easygoing and relaxed than his high end restaurant that he closed, but it still has the great food. Menu was more brief but has lots of delicious options. The one disappointment is that he eliminated Sunday brunch at this location. The room was very loud and vibrant. Perhaps some fabric could be added in the room to soften the hard edges and lessen the noise. Difficult to converse for a party of two, so not a great date place. Fun for groups though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WonderfulGinaVIPDined on 11/8/2014We started out with the oysters which were incredible - the sautéed shallots were such a great addition to the extremely fresh oysters. Everything we ordered was incredible.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great date nightOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/7/2014Great adult night out. We ordered two items from each course and shared. Everything was deliciousSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- g.e.b. for the winHollyDined on 11/7/2014When we get to Chicago there is always the hope we can scoot over to g.e.b. for a fantastic meal. This time was no exception. From the duck leg that was some of the best soul food I've had in 30 years to the outstanding tiger prawns it was delicious. Our server was also delightful indulging us about our wine selections while still managing not intrude on our meal. We will be back first chance we get.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing DinnerSandyDined on 11/4/2014We decided to go to GEB after seeing him on TV programs such Masterchef. We thought it would be a good idea when we were in Chicago and that's what we did. We were welcomed with some popcorn with cheese and chives on the table and we tried the foie, oysters, cheddar risotto, the salmon and the lamb. Everything was super tasty and very well presented. We had a blast and we hope to go back when we visit Chicago again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome food, great experience.notafoodie413Dined on 11/1/2014Went to GEB for my girlfriends birthday dinner as we're both fans of Master Chef as I'm sure were a majority of the folks dining there on Saturday night. It worked out really well as Graham Elliot was in the house for a bit and we got to say hello and get a picture. He was very genuine and accommodating and seemed really happy to accept. The food: my goodness the food was great. I'm by no means what people call a foodie, and often am a picky eater, but knew I needed to stretch a bit by previewing the menu while making the reservation on OpenTable. I was happy with the Deconstructed Caesar, Cheese Risotto and Wild Salmon. She's much more of a foodie and was very pleased with the Oysters ("best ever") and the Duck leg.Special Features:
- jpfridayVIPDined on 11/1/2014We have eaten at Graham Elliot's restaurant before it close and greatly enjoyed the food and experience. His bistro was a disappointment.
- Good eatsYummiesDined on 10/31/2014Food was fantastic, not one thing I didn't like. I also enjoyed how the environment caters to a relaxed casual attire and a more upscale feel.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First Time GEB DinersdbotcharDined on 10/31/2014WE of course know about Graham Elliot through television and knew that he had a 2 Michelin star restaurant in chicago, so on our last trip we decided to try out the restaurant. Overall the experience was very good but we had a little difficulty with the server and his communication skills. We overcame this however and the table service was wonderful (food runners, bussing, etc.). The food was also very good though our lamb was more like hoggit or mutton in flavour (or the butchery was poorly done as it tasted of kidneys). My chicken was slightly underdone but otherwise delicious. Overall presentation was beautiful and a wonderful dining experience and we would go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delightfully goodOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/25/2014We opted for the tasting menu with a little trepidation as the descriptions of the various courses sounded a bit blah. What a delightful surprise! The old stand-by's of Ceasar salad, beef stroganoff and banana split were all amazing re-inventions - our tastebuds were seriously happy! An amuse-bouche of a pumpkin and coconut chilled soup was out of this world!Special Features:
- Great food! Great barOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 10/25/2014we had a great time. Knowledgeable bar tender made us some great drinks. The food was wonderful. Being from California, it was great to have some Foie Gras again.Special Features:
- Worthy as a judge on TVMaxFoodieDined on 10/25/2014GEB was very much the most looked forward thing to do on our trip to Chicago last week. We managed to secure a reservation online for a late dinner on a Saturday. The setting is nice and romantic. A bit cramp-ish but not like you are rubbing elbows with the next table. Although it's not hard to accidentally eavesdrop on others' conversation. Most of the food is excellent. The risotto, the tiger shrimps, and the beef stroganoff are excellent. Very much Michelin star worthy. However, the black cod is only borderline good at best. The fish was cook to perfection but the sauce and other items in the dish do not go well together. Would have been better if there is some acidity in the dish to balance out the taste of salt.Special Features:
- Major DisappointmentAlohagalDined on 10/25/2014We wanted an extraordinary restaurant to celebrate our anniversary and being a fan of Master Chef, chose GEB. I know it's a bistro but I didn't expect to have to shout to my husband across the table. The offer to turn down the music Fell on deaf ears. (Pun intended). Also it was extremely cold inside since the "garage door" was open and a strong cold draft (late October) made us both very uncomfortabe. They attempted to remedy the situation but we were still uncomfortable. We ended up outside, out of the wind sitting on plastic chairs at a table that wobbled so bad that the wine sloshed around in the glass. The food was ok but nothing that made me "mmmmm". For a $180 tab, we were not happy.Special Features:
- Nice New FindOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/24/2014The back patio was a sweet surprise & so romantic. Lovely service & great food, we will defiantly be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CloverDined on 10/23/2014Because of the notoriety of the head chef, expectations at GEB can be high. Don't expect a Michelin star experience. If you do, you'll be disappointed. The food was good but not great and it's expensive.Special Features:
- magnificentdrpicosseDined on 10/21/2014great food, great place and a magnificent cheff!!! What not to like!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GEB BistroIreneviolinDined on 10/21/2014I miss Graham's original restaurant! This menu v.limited, not v. original. Dishes came out rather cold, despite kitchen being close by. I would give it another pass, hoping perhaps that the boss himself might be there . Disappointed not to see him there. Outstanding cocktails , good suggestions about wine --waiter seemed knowledgable and helpful with helping us make a good choice.Special Features:
- ShannonShannonDined on 10/18/2014My husband and I did the tasting menu with wine pairings and were so happy we did. Our dinner was fabulous and the service was outstanding. It was a casual, fun environment and with food worthy of a fine-dining experience. The short-ribs, the caesar salad, the banana split dessert… very memorable. The courses were clever and fun, but not gimmicky. We are from out of town and I know next time we are in Chicago, we'll head back to G.E.B.!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/8/2014Milk and honey, scallops and lamb were excellent and so deliciousSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful MealdasbirdVIPDined on 10/7/2014We really enjoyed the tasting menu of Graham Elliot's "Greatest Hits!" Every course was perfect! I liked it so much I went back again 3 days later!Special Features:
- DisappointmentFoodieDined on 10/3/2014I can't believe that the restaurant has two Michelin stars. In my mind it does not deserve any star. The salmon was very tasty but the scallops were very boring. We ordered a cocktail before dinner but the waitress did not come back to take our order for wine. When we were served the wine we had almost finished the main course.Special Features:
- The bestLuv2eat11Dined on 10/3/2014This was some of the best food, service and drinks that I've ever had a restaurant. Highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Must Trygr8foodVIPDined on 10/3/2014Many times the restaurants of famous chefs do not live up to the hip. Graham Elliot Bistro happily did not fall into this camp. The food and wine were excellent and the Bistro atmosphere in this West Randolph location made the evening a perfect spot before going to a concert at The United Center. We started with lobster risotto that was fantastic. I had wild salmon that had a velvety texture, mom wife had scallops that were caramelized perfectly and my son had the beef stroganoff, which was a steak over gnocchi with mushroom sauce. Graham Elliot was working the line making sure every plate came out just right. Please support GEB - let's make sure the bistro is here for a long time for all to enjoy!Special Features:
- G.E.B. a Pricey but good findDaveyDined on 10/3/2014Was looking for a restaurant close to the United Center and found this one! And What a find! Food was great and choices for everyone. Greeting us with parmesan popcorn set the night! I had the Scallops with the grits Polenta and corn succotash! Delicious. The Pork, Salmon and Eggplant entrees were wonderful. Saw the Owner working really hard to set the line from the kitchen. The staff was attentive and we really enjoyed the meal.Special Features:
- Diverse and interesting menuRunner131Dined on 10/2/2014Unexpected and interesting presentation of traditional menu items, such as the "deconstructed" ceasar salad. Overall good food and helpful service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Was a great BistroOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 10/2/2014We loved it when it was the Bistro. But Graham is trying to put the same food from the old restaurant. Enough with the popcorn. Iam waiting for the pony's to come out of the back room with balloon's. Food is ok. But the food was better when it was the Bistro.Special Features:
- Entertaining clientsmikeisloudVIPDined on 9/30/2014I took clients there for dinner. I first asked them if they were in for something different. They were and GEB delivered. We all had different plates and we all raved through each course Food...perfect Wine...perfect Service...perfect Would definitely come againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bland food but good servicefoodieMIVIPDined on 9/27/2014The food was overall under seasoned and not memorable. Nothing stood out except for the popcorn served before the meals. Service was courteous but we had to wait for a long time to place our second round of drinks order as well as receive our meals.
- UnderwhelmedOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/26/2014Was expecting more from this restaurant. Service was good - corrected my bill when I found a hair in my plate. It happens I guess. Patio was missing some ambiance.Special Features:
- Excellent food strange music choicenellievonnormanDined on 9/26/2014My wife and I enjoyed our time here. We especially liked the burrata and honey comb appetizer. This was a simple but perfectly balanced plate. We ordered the octopus as our second, but we were given the chicken ravioli instead. Not a big deal. I never return things at restaurants. We both commented that it was an odd mistake. Especially since we were the only people in the restaurant at the time. The other odd thing was the music selection. Electronic dance music played at moderate levels didn't fit the rest of the experience, which overall was excellent. My wife loved the love lamb trio and was truly impressed by the black cod dish I had as our main course. My selection was again perfectly balanced. We will come back.Special Features:
- Amazing! :)LovesGreatFoodDined on 9/24/2014By far the BEST restaurant experience I have ever had :) The table side service was incredible. Multiple servers were very efficient. They folded linen napkins if you had to leave the table, constantly filled up water glasses without asking, wiped off the table if they saw the need, provided new silverware before every dish and when they delivered each dish, they explained the course. The ultimate was seeing Graham himself! Too bad I went to go talk to him at the open kitchen counter and then he was gone. We kindly asked the hostess if we could possibly talk to him for a quick second and she said she would try. We saw her talk to the bartender who said no. We understood as Graham was apparently eating dinner with his family. :) Shucks!Special Features: