G.E.B. (Graham Elliot Bistro)
841 W. Randolph St.
Chicago, IL 60607Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
G.E.B. (Graham Elliot Bistro)
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.gebistro.com/
- Phone: 3128882258x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday-Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
Friday, Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Graham Elliot
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wine
- Private Party Facilities: The dining room and private courtyard (when available) can be bought out for private dining.
- Private Party Contact: email@example.com 3128882258x
A word from G.E.B. (Graham Elliot Bistro)
With focus on the technique and craft of cooking, graham elliot bistro brings the "perfection of simplicity" to the table. Local, farm fresh ingredients help to provide a seasonal menu paired with small production wines and craft beers. Chef Elliot's genuine, approachable personality along with his love of food and music is the inspiration for the bistro.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
G.E.B. (Graham Elliot Bistro) reviews from OpenTable diners
164 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (119)special occasion (75)great for outdoor dining (60)neighborhood gem (50)hot spot (40)romantic (34)notable wine list (31)good for groups (25)late-night find (9)vibrant bar scene (4)scenic view (3)kid-friendly (3)great for lunch (2)great for brunch (2)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/23/2014Because of the notoriety of the head chef, expectations at GEB can be high. Don't expect a Michelin star experience. If you do, you'll be disappointed. The food was good but not great and it's expensive.Special Features:
- magnificentOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/21/2014great food, great place and a magnificent cheff!!! What not to like!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GEB BistroIreneviolinDined on 10/21/2014I miss Graham's original restaurant! This menu v.limited, not v. original. Dishes came out rather cold, despite kitchen being close by. I would give it another pass, hoping perhaps that the boss himself might be there . Disappointed not to see him there. Outstanding cocktails , good suggestions about wine --waiter seemed knowledgable and helpful with helping us make a good choice.Special Features:
- ShannonShannonDined on 10/18/2014My husband and I did the tasting menu with wine pairings and were so happy we did. Our dinner was fabulous and the service was outstanding. It was a casual, fun environment and with food worthy of a fine-dining experience. The short-ribs, the caesar salad, the banana split dessert… very memorable. The courses were clever and fun, but not gimmicky. We are from out of town and I know next time we are in Chicago, we'll head back to G.E.B.!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/8/2014Milk and honey, scallops and lamb were excellent and so deliciousSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful MealdasbirdVIPDined on 10/7/2014We really enjoyed the tasting menu of Graham Elliot's "Greatest Hits!" Every course was perfect! I liked it so much I went back again 3 days later!Special Features:
- DisappointmentFoodieDined on 10/3/2014I can't believe that the restaurant has two Michelin stars. In my mind it does not deserve any star. The salmon was very tasty but the scallops were very boring. We ordered a cocktail before dinner but the waitress did not come back to take our order for wine. When we were served the wine we had almost finished the main course.Special Features:
- The bestLuv2eat11Dined on 10/3/2014This was some of the best food, service and drinks that I've ever had a restaurant. Highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Must Trygr8foodVIPDined on 10/3/2014Many times the restaurants of famous chefs do not live up to the hip. Graham Elliot Bistro happily did not fall into this camp. The food and wine were excellent and the Bistro atmosphere in this West Randolph location made the evening a perfect spot before going to a concert at The United Center. We started with lobster risotto that was fantastic. I had wild salmon that had a velvety texture, mom wife had scallops that were caramelized perfectly and my son had the beef stroganoff, which was a steak over gnocchi with mushroom sauce. Graham Elliot was working the line making sure every plate came out just right. Please support GEB - let's make sure the bistro is here for a long time for all to enjoy!Special Features:
- G.E.B. a Pricey but good findDaveyDined on 10/3/2014Was looking for a restaurant close to the United Center and found this one! And What a find! Food was great and choices for everyone. Greeting us with parmesan popcorn set the night! I had the Scallops with the grits Polenta and corn succotash! Delicious. The Pork, Salmon and Eggplant entrees were wonderful. Saw the Owner working really hard to set the line from the kitchen. The staff was attentive and we really enjoyed the meal.Special Features:
- Diverse and interesting menuRunner131Dined on 10/2/2014Unexpected and interesting presentation of traditional menu items, such as the "deconstructed" ceasar salad. Overall good food and helpful service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Was a great BistroOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 10/2/2014We loved it when it was the Bistro. But Graham is trying to put the same food from the old restaurant. Enough with the popcorn. Iam waiting for the pony's to come out of the back room with balloon's. Food is ok. But the food was better when it was the Bistro.Special Features:
- Entertaining clientsmikeisloudDined on 9/30/2014I took clients there for dinner. I first asked them if they were in for something different. They were and GEB delivered. We all had different plates and we all raved through each course Food...perfect Wine...perfect Service...perfect Would definitely come againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bland food but good servicefoodieMIVIPDined on 9/27/2014The food was overall under seasoned and not memorable. Nothing stood out except for the popcorn served before the meals. Service was courteous but we had to wait for a long time to place our second round of drinks order as well as receive our meals.
- UnderwhelmedOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/26/2014Was expecting more from this restaurant. Service was good - corrected my bill when I found a hair in my plate. It happens I guess. Patio was missing some ambiance.Special Features:
- Excellent food strange music choicenellievonnormanDined on 9/26/2014My wife and I enjoyed our time here. We especially liked the burrata and honey comb appetizer. This was a simple but perfectly balanced plate. We ordered the octopus as our second, but we were given the chicken ravioli instead. Not a big deal. I never return things at restaurants. We both commented that it was an odd mistake. Especially since we were the only people in the restaurant at the time. The other odd thing was the music selection. Electronic dance music played at moderate levels didn't fit the rest of the experience, which overall was excellent. My wife loved the love lamb trio and was truly impressed by the black cod dish I had as our main course. My selection was again perfectly balanced. We will come back.Special Features:
- Amazing! :)LovesGreatFoodDined on 9/24/2014By far the BEST restaurant experience I have ever had :) The table side service was incredible. Multiple servers were very efficient. They folded linen napkins if you had to leave the table, constantly filled up water glasses without asking, wiped off the table if they saw the need, provided new silverware before every dish and when they delivered each dish, they explained the course. The ultimate was seeing Graham himself! Too bad I went to go talk to him at the open kitchen counter and then he was gone. We kindly asked the hostess if we could possibly talk to him for a quick second and she said she would try. We saw her talk to the bartender who said no. We understood as Graham was apparently eating dinner with his family. :) Shucks!Special Features:
- Not What I Expected, but Great FoodaltumaxDined on 9/23/2014When I had found out that I would be able to dine at a restaurant that bore the Graham Elliot name, I was filled with excitement; not only that, this was a Two Michelin-Star Restaurant! When I arrived, however, it was not at all what I expected. I think the best way to describe the feel was "cozy" - it would've been great for big groups, but the ambiance was a bit strange. The decorations were very interesting (in a good way), but the music and feel were just not at all what I expected. The food, however, was fantastic! Everything we had, from the deconstructed caesar to the chicken noodle to the divers scallops and the vanilla bean creme brulee - all highly recommended and perfectly executed! I would go there again, more prepared this timeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/19/2014Great food that is different than many places but not so different for someone who isn't a foodie. Get the Milk and Honey appetizer!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simply AmazingWolfgangDined on 9/19/2014We came because we are big fans of Graham Elliot as a judge on Masterchef and he did not disappoint! Our waiter advised us to each get different tasting menus so that we'd try everything, and I'm so glad we did! Every morsel on each plate from the brioche Twinkie on the deconstructed ceasar to the flambeed banana in the ice cream had a clear reason for being there and the execution was marvelous. We will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome outdoor seating!J2304ldDined on 9/19/2014Our outdoor table was part of an enclosed plaza shared with several restaraunts - it reminded me of a trip to Spain! Service was great and really knowledgable. My hubby and I ordered one of each of the tasting menus and both were delicious. Wine selection was great. Romantic yet still swank- would def go back!!! There were several tables with young kids. Good to know there's a good option when I can't find a sitter.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great.JeffDined on 9/19/2014Great restaurant. Since it's namesake is a big-name chef, we expected a haughty atmosphere. Quite the opposite. Great, casual atmosphere with a terrific staff. Wonderful experience. Jeff and JaneSpecial Features:
- Anniversary Dinner2SMGsDined on 9/13/2014My husband and I don't really do anything special for our Anniversary. This year marks 12 years, and as much as we like to splurge, we find ourselves putting that lifestyle on the back burner. We have two amazing daughters that keep us busy. But since my husband is a HUGE fan of Graham Elliot, I thought what a better way to surprise him with a dinner he would really enjoy. Not only does GEB have amazing food, but it comes at an amazing price!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasting vs. MenuEatoutKingDined on 9/12/2014I was surprised to learn that if one member of your party orders a tasting menu the rest of the table must do the same. This was not communicated to us up-front. It has to do with the flow of the kitchen since all tasting dishes come out at the same time. Understandable, just wish we were told up-front. I didn't get to try the risotto or the foie gras. However, the tasting menu was fantastic. I'll just have to return to try the rest.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrific!KcsukiVIPDined on 9/12/2014Absolutely fabulous. Every dish was better than the last. Service was friendly, helpful, and efficient.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticrfoodieDined on 9/11/2014Had a birthday dinner for my 27 daughter and was very pleased on all fronts. We arrived and we're immediately seated for our 7:45 reservation. Service was excellent. Graham was on line briefly and made a point to visit our table which made a special evening even more special. The food.... everything I expected and more.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ZfoodDined on 9/6/2014Amazing food attentive, not pushy service perfect old fashion. Who knew dill would be fabulous in stroganoff? Love the crouton TwinkieSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ChiFoodieDined on 9/5/2014The outdoor seating is shared by RM Champaign so it's a great atmosphere. But wait staff apparently forgot about us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedragelicVIPDined on 9/5/2014Not sure if it was just the night I was there, but definitely not what I was expecting. Food was a bit bland, service was below average, and didn't live up the expectations I've had after being a fan of Graham Elliott. All that being said, the space is great - phenomenal patio. However, it all feels a bit more like a tourist attraction setup to grab those dollars vs. being a serious passion project for Elliott.Special Features:
- Perfect!PattyVVIPDined on 8/30/2014Such a great experience at geb. Our server Mike was beyond amazing. Polite, friendly and attentive. The food was incredible! absolutely delicious. My daughter's first trip to Chicago and this was most definitely the highlight of our trip. Graham Elliot knows how to provide an exceptional restaurant experience and I can't thank him enough. I only wish he would come to Arizona!!Special Features:
- bumpy floorBobA822215936583Dined on 8/30/2014Couldn't get my chair comfortable on outdoor floor. Waiters slow and did not advise that every coke I bought was $4.00 each. My tab was $250.00 for 2 people. I thimk it was a bit much too charge for 4 cokes. Food was incredible though especially the cake served with the cease salad.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Everything and MoreOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/29/2014I anticipated a stuffy, mediocre ambience. Nope. Awesome... Everything is awesome. Go have fun.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful!MichelleDined on 8/29/2014I surprised my husband with dinner at G.E.B. for his birthday this September; we drove up from Southern Illinois to spend the weekend in Chicago. He LOVED it! We sat outside in the patio area which was beautiful. The food was excellent! I loved the tasty popcorn to snack on before our meal (very fun) and would highly recommend the "Milk & Honey" menu item; thinking back, I could have just eaten a huge plate of that as my entire meal if possible...it was that good! The service was great too. All of the staff we encountered were very polite and professional. Hopefully we will get to go again sometime!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chicago e buona cucinamonnyguiDined on 8/26/2014abbiamo prenotato dall'italia in questo ristorante per la curiosità di mangiare nel ristorante di uno dei giudici di Masterchef usa, il posto non è centrale, è fuori dalle normali tratte dei turisti che frequentano zone più a ridosso del lago o del fiume, vale comunque la pena di prendere un taxi e di arrivare fino al ristorante. mangiato molto bene, sia carne che pesce, nota di colore i pop-corn aromatizzati al tartufo, alto e basso coniugati molto bene. unico difetto la musica troppo alta, rapporto qualità/prezzo buono, il locale era semi vuoto forse xchè era martedì sera. molto consigliato.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good, but perhaps a bit $$$$OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/26/2014The food was exceptional, an the staff very knowledgeable & friendly. Perhaps a tad bit too pricey, though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/23/2014Graham Elliot has put together an incredible staff. The servers were attentive without being overbearing, the chefs were fun to watch, and really seemed to enjoy themselves, and Chef Elliot was polite, professional, and sociable. The food was great and the atmosphere was relaxing and fun without being overly noisy and intrusive. We had a wonderful time, and will absolutely return again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful EveningOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/23/2014Amazing dinner, Lamb trio was to die for, and it had to help that Graham was there expediting!Special Features:
- Lived up to the hypeDrNomNomVIPDined on 8/23/2014We had both tasting menus and they definitely lived up to the hype of a celebrity chef's restaurant. Every course was delicious and slightly whimsical, just like Graham Elliot portrays himself on TV. You could definitely tell it was his vision you were tasting. Graham was also nice enough to come out of the kitchen to visit with his fans! Overall great experience! Will definitely be back!Special Features:
- StephanieOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/23/2014Huge fan of Graham Elliot and as usual he didn't didn't disappoint. The food was absolutely amazing and he was kind enough to come over and spend a couple of minutes talking to the entire table. Great experience, exceptional food and wonderful service. Will definitely be back soonSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food, fun atmosphereOpenTable Diner Since 2001Dined on 8/23/2014We had a table outside so the noise level of which some complain was not an issue. Overall the food was excellent. Oysters - terrific - the crunch of the crispy shallots is a nice contract to the texture of the oysters. Deconstructed caesar includes a large cheese-filled "Twinkie." Lobster and porchetta were very good. Portion sizes are surprisingly generous so be careful if encouraged to order all 3 courses. Our server suggested that each person order a cold appetizer from group 1 and an entree from group 3, and that we share a hot appetizer from group 2. Good advice, since there's an amuse (a very tasty cold sunchoke soup) and you'll want to try dessert. Very good cocktails; good wine list but a bit pricey.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.