G.E.B. (Graham Elliot Bistro)
841 W. Randolph St.
Chicago, IL 60607Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
G.E.B. (Graham Elliot Bistro)
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.gebistro.com/
- Phone: 3128882258x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday-Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
Friday, Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Vinny Alterio
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: The dining room and private courtyard (when available) can be bought out for private dining.
- Private Party Contact: email@example.com 3128882258x
- Special Events: Join us for special Prix Fixe Brunches for the following occasions;
Easter April 20th
Mother's Day May 11th
Father's Day June 15th
A word from G.E.B. (Graham Elliot Bistro)
Graham Elliot Bistro is the third restaurant from Chef Graham Elliot. With focus on the technique and craft of cooking, Graham Elliot Bistro brings the "perfection of simplicity" to the table. Local, farm fresh ingredients help to provide a seasonal menu paired with small production wines and craft beers. Chef Elliot's genuine, approachable personality along with his love of food and music is the inspiration for the bistro.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
G.E.B. (Graham Elliot Bistro) reviews from OpenTable diners
173 reviews since May 25, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (124)special occasion (84)great for outdoor dining (68)neighborhood gem (50)hot spot (42)notable wine list (33)romantic (31)good for groups (22)late-night find (12)vibrant bar scene (7)scenic view (3)great for lunch (2)kid-friendly (2)great for brunch (2)Show More
- Great FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/19/2014Great food that is different than many places but not so different for someone who isn't a foodie. Get the Milk and Honey appetizer!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simply AmazingWolfgangDined on 9/19/2014We came because we are big fans of Graham Elliot as a judge on Masterchef and he did not disappoint! Our waiter advised us to each get different tasting menus so that we'd try everything, and I'm so glad we did! Every morsel on each plate from the brioche Twinkie on the deconstructed ceasar to the flambeed banana in the ice cream had a clear reason for being there and the execution was marvelous. We will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome outdoor seating!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/19/2014Our outdoor table was part of an enclosed plaza shared with several restaraunts - it reminded me of a trip to Spain! Service was great and really knowledgable. My hubby and I ordered one of each of the tasting menus and both were delicious. Wine selection was great. Romantic yet still swank- would def go back!!! There were several tables with young kids. Good to know there's a good option when I can't find a sitter.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary Dinner2SMGsDined on 9/13/2014My husband and I don't really do anything special for our Anniversary. This year marks 12 years, and as much as we like to splurge, we find ourselves putting that lifestyle on the back burner. We have two amazing daughters that keep us busy. But since my husband is a HUGE fan of Graham Elliot, I thought what a better way to surprise him with a dinner he would really enjoy. Not only does GEB have amazing food, but it comes at an amazing price!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrific!KcsukiVIPDined on 9/12/2014Absolutely fabulous. Every dish was better than the last. Service was friendly, helpful, and efficient.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticrfoodieDined on 9/11/2014Had a birthday dinner for my 27 daughter and was very pleased on all fronts. We arrived and we're immediately seated for our 7:45 reservation. Service was excellent. Graham was on line briefly and made a point to visit our table which made a special evening even more special. The food.... everything I expected and more.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ZfoodDined on 9/6/2014Amazing food attentive, not pushy service perfect old fashion. Who knew dill would be fabulous in stroganoff? Love the crouton TwinkieSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ChiFoodieDined on 9/5/2014The outdoor seating is shared by RM Champaign so it's a great atmosphere. But wait staff apparently forgot about us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect!PattyVVIPDined on 8/30/2014Such a great experience at geb. Our server Mike was beyond amazing. Polite, friendly and attentive. The food was incredible! absolutely delicious. My daughter's first trip to Chicago and this was most definitely the highlight of our trip. Graham Elliot knows how to provide an exceptional restaurant experience and I can't thank him enough. I only wish he would come to Arizona!!Special Features:
- bumpy floorBobA822215936583Dined on 8/30/2014Couldn't get my chair comfortable on outdoor floor. Waiters slow and did not advise that every coke I bought was $4.00 each. My tab was $250.00 for 2 people. I thimk it was a bit much too charge for 4 cokes. Food was incredible though especially the cake served with the cease salad.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Everything and MoreOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/29/2014I anticipated a stuffy, mediocre ambience. Nope. Awesome... Everything is awesome. Go have fun.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chicago e buona cucinamonnyguiDined on 8/26/2014abbiamo prenotato dall'italia in questo ristorante per la curiosità di mangiare nel ristorante di uno dei giudici di Masterchef usa, il posto non è centrale, è fuori dalle normali tratte dei turisti che frequentano zone più a ridosso del lago o del fiume, vale comunque la pena di prendere un taxi e di arrivare fino al ristorante. mangiato molto bene, sia carne che pesce, nota di colore i pop-corn aromatizzati al tartufo, alto e basso coniugati molto bene. unico difetto la musica troppo alta, rapporto qualità/prezzo buono, il locale era semi vuoto forse xchè era martedì sera. molto consigliato.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good, but perhaps a bit $$$$OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/26/2014The food was exceptional, an the staff very knowledgeable & friendly. Perhaps a tad bit too pricey, though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/23/2014Graham Elliot has put together an incredible staff. The servers were attentive without being overbearing, the chefs were fun to watch, and really seemed to enjoy themselves, and Chef Elliot was polite, professional, and sociable. The food was great and the atmosphere was relaxing and fun without being overly noisy and intrusive. We had a wonderful time, and will absolutely return again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful EveningOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/23/2014Amazing dinner, Lamb trio was to die for, and it had to help that Graham was there expediting!Special Features:
- Lived up to the hypeDrNomNomVIPDined on 8/23/2014We had both tasting menus and they definitely lived up to the hype of a celebrity chef's restaurant. Every course was delicious and slightly whimsical, just like Graham Elliot portrays himself on TV. You could definitely tell it was his vision you were tasting. Graham was also nice enough to come out of the kitchen to visit with his fans! Overall great experience! Will definitely be back!Special Features:
- StephanieOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/23/2014Huge fan of Graham Elliot and as usual he didn't didn't disappoint. The food was absolutely amazing and he was kind enough to come over and spend a couple of minutes talking to the entire table. Great experience, exceptional food and wonderful service. Will definitely be back soonSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food, fun atmosphereOpenTable Diner Since 2001Dined on 8/23/2014We had a table outside so the noise level of which some complain was not an issue. Overall the food was excellent. Oysters - terrific - the crunch of the crispy shallots is a nice contract to the texture of the oysters. Deconstructed caesar includes a large cheese-filled "Twinkie." Lobster and porchetta were very good. Portion sizes are surprisingly generous so be careful if encouraged to order all 3 courses. Our server suggested that each person order a cold appetizer from group 1 and an entree from group 3, and that we share a hot appetizer from group 2. Good advice, since there's an amuse (a very tasty cold sunchoke soup) and you'll want to try dessert. Very good cocktails; good wine list but a bit pricey.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty but a little loudblearyjamDined on 8/22/2014I enjoyed the dinner I had, food was great and imaginative, good cocktails and plenty of good wine choices. Just difficult to carry on a conversation with people across the table. I was inside by the kitchen which may have had something to do with it. The patio looked nice and may have been a better choice if the weather had cooperated. I will go back for the food.Special Features:
- Awesome!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/20/2014We were greeted immediately by the Hostess who seated us immediately at an outdoor table. I wish I could remember our servers name, this young lady was simply outstanding. She explained the menu to us, answered all our questions and made our whole evening and experience amazing. The food was great, we had the oysters to begin, followed by the deconstructed Cesar salad and the milk and honey salad for my wife, then she had the lobster risotto and I had the clams and linguini with squid ink, the risotto was the highlight, the Cesar was divine as well. For our main courses, I had the lamb and my wife the scallops. Great evening, great food, and an awesome server made for a great evening! Thanks!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- waste of moneywetried222Dined on 8/20/2014brought a bowl of stale salty popcorn to our table. that's the way graham wants you to start your meal. appetizers Caesar salad was flavorful, very small, the homemade twinkie was greasy, the lobster risotto was a strange color, 3 tiny pieces of lobster, undercooked, the beans were just stirred into it n raw, unedible,salty.Main dish: Amish chicken, over priced,dry, vegies were old n soupy, stroganoff, not very much beef, pasta overcooked, very bland, just piled up into a mess, dessert: banana split small, squished in a jar, tastes pre made, peach dessert too much corn starch thick bland. side note: don't charge $3.00 per coke, it makes Graham look cheap not even a new bottle each time. a fountain refill.. ill never go there again :(
- Graham walks the walklovemesomegoodfoodDined on 8/20/2014The food was absolutely fabulous. If you watch food shows, they talk about "layering flavors and textures" I have eaten many good meals but now i understand what this phrase means. I thoroughly enjoyed everything I ate. When making reservations be sure to specify if you want to eat inside or outside. And I thought the music was a bit loud for enjoying table conversation. Other than that, top notch. It is also pleasant walking distance from Ogilvie Transportation station and after everything I ate, I was glad for the walk. I had the deconstructed caesar with brioche twinkie (yum), porcheta wrappd in pork belly (delish) and the chocolate cave' (don't know if I spelled that right). This was so wonderful I almost passed out. Great job GESpecial Features:
- Disappointed...WHADDSDined on 8/19/2014Looked forward to this evening. The the Dismantled Caesar was to die for. The Chicken Noodle was unique and palataly interesting. But the Scallops were bland and very disappointing. After ordering a relatively expensive wine, our waiter was visibly indignant that we chose to split appetizers and entrees. Don't think I'll be visiting there again soon.Special Features:
- Great RestaurantDonahu1993Dined on 8/19/2014One of the best restaurants I have been to. I would definitely go back highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great until it split at the bananaOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/16/2014Everything was great, from the dishes to the pairings. The attention to detail was awesome and the Maitre D's knowledge was impressive, except at the time of the banana split. Its served on a glass with overflowing ice-cream that makes a mess as you eat it. It is paired with a hungarian dessert wine that has acidic notes that are enhanced beautifully by the saltiness from the pretzels, however given the way the dish is layered, you dont get to the pretzels until you are half way down the glass. I would keep the dessert and the pairing but present it in a different vessel and not overflow it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Incredible Tasting MenuwiscomptonDined on 8/16/2014My wife and I recently dined here while visiting from NYC, and the food rivals some of the best restaurants we have back home. Both tasting menus offer something truly remarkable, and the cocktails and wine selection are superb. The patio seating in the back is perfect for any special occasion (assuming the weather cooperates, of course). A truly marvelous dining experience!Special Features:
- Can't Recommend GEBMicheleDined on 8/16/2014We chose GEB as a destination dinner spot, having only one night in Chicago for a good meal out. The hostess was lovely, but there the goodness ended, I'm afraid. When I asked waiter about wines to help me make a decision, he said "they're different varietals; it's really up to your tastes." My husband and I both ordered lobster risotto--there was no mention of truffle. The food came and the whole dish tasted of truffle. You couldn't taste the delicious lobster. It seemed to me that the mostly 20-something servers and cooks were having a lot of fun together but their interaction with the diners was poor. This is the first time I have ever written a poor review. When I go out, I'm ready to have fun, so this was highly unusual.
- Trendy w/out being pretentioussocialtalkerDined on 8/16/2014Our waiter Mike was professional, attentive and very knowledgeable of Chef Elliott's vision. The appetizers are the best, ceviche is a must!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Can't appreciate food in such placetivnetDined on 8/14/2014I believe, Mr. Graham Elliot is a great chef. However, to enjoy the "culinary art", I need a quiet nice atmosphere. Instead, I've got a dark (had to turn flashlight on iPhone to read menu and to see what's in the plate), extremely noisy place with unfriendly waiters and very slow cooks. I am very sorry that I chose the Bistro over Graham's real restaurant. Maybe, I'd love it better. BTW, the bill was huge. P.S. For those who do not know Mr. Elliot: do not expect to get what you read in the menu! It's not a beef-stroganoff. It's something else. It's great, but - something else. Same - for all other menu items. They are all "something else". Get ready for that.
- Food is worth the visit.Bailey2uDined on 8/13/2014My neice and I went here while in town as we both love Graham Elliot. The meal was definately worth the experience - lobster risotto was devine and the scallops just melted in your mouth. Normally I don't get dessert, but tried the banana split which was amazing. The abience and the service were not as special as I would have expected, but would return and give them another chance.Special Features:
- Fan of GrahamRMHCAZDined on 8/12/2014Watched Master Chef for a few seasons...love the show. Coming to Chicago for a meeting and wanted to experience his restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loud and OverpricedmarceloVIPDined on 8/12/20141) Absurdly overpriced: food is OK (not great) but there are so many restaurants in town that serve way better food at a way lower price (200usd for a couple: the cheapest wine bottle on the menu, appetizer, SHARING a main course). 2) Music is very loud - when we asked the waiter to lower the volume she said she couldnt because if she did we'd be complaining about the noise from the kitchen. 3) Service was also poor: for some weird reason our waiter was also serving (or was he having drinks with?) some folks at the bar. The only problem is that our table was all the way across the restaurant so anytime we needed anything we had to ask the server to call the waiter for us. Which would be OK if they were charging half what they charge.
- HIGHLY RecommendedspicheDined on 8/9/2014Took my husband to chicago for his 40th birthday. The one stipulation was a stop at the G.E.B. Chef Elliot did not disappoint. The food was incredible. Best meal we think we have ever had; and we have been to Europe, toured the US and cruised all over the Caribbean. Patrick our server was amazing, so friendly and most importantly, genuine. No falsities about this place. You get an amazing meal served by down-to-earth people who care about food! Have already highly recommended this restaurant to Clients of mine and plan on returning with my employees during Neocon next year. Congrats to Chef Elliot for a fantastic foodie-venture! Cheers, Sarah and Scott Oakley Ottawa, Ontario, CanadaSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good restaurantCK250471Dined on 8/9/2014Went back for the first time after 4 years. Liked the old location on Huron better. The food was very good even though I missed the adventurous combinations they had at the old location i.e. foie gras lollipops rolled in pop rocks. Chef Elliot was there but I would have appreciate it more if he would have gone from table to table to check on his patrons. The evening was good but not perfect but nevertheless I will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really enjoyed the tasting menuFoodAceDined on 8/8/2014My wife and I did the tasting menu with wine pairing and really enjoyed it. There are two options and we each go a different one so we could try both. It was a bit pricy, but we thought it was worth it in the end. The service was great, too.Special Features:
- Great foodLprindleDined on 8/7/2014Great food, lots to taste, very unusual and interesting menu. Good service. Atmosphere a little darker than I like. Some people at the table were surprised water was served without ice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun with FriendsEddieDined on 8/6/2014We love to come and hang out with friends when we are in town and this is one of our favorite places.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a great place!TheHallsDined on 8/6/2014We tried both the 5 course tasting menus and were both blown away by the presentation and overall craftmanship of each course. Definitely returning for more of this food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingDongerNeedFoodVIPDined on 8/5/2014I was a big fan of the flagship Graham Elliot restaurant and Grahamwich, but this place really was disappointing. The food was good, not great, and not worth the price. I say this after we tried both of the tasting menus. Not one "wow" dish. I also did not like the wine list, which has every single bottle marked up massively over wine store retail. I won't return.
- From Bad to worse!rxmarilynrxVIPDined on 8/5/2014I am so disappointed!! I dined here one year ago and couldn't wait to return! Wow was I wrong! The experience at the bar was my one redeeming part of the evening;everything else was horrible!! The wait staff in particular; Patric was beyond pathetic! A very poor attitude and just did not want to be there! Everything was an effort! If you cant offer good customer service do not work in the food industry! The food once received (1-hour after placing our order) was very good, but certainly not worth waiting for. Sadly when asked how our meal and evening were and I said we weren't happy, the wait staff said ok thank you, like they just didn't care; well neither do I and I will never return!!Special Features: