2840 Kapiolani Blvd.
Honolulu, HI 96826Neighborhood:
JapanesePrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.e-k-c.co.jp/tenpo/honolulu-e/
- Phone: 8087370230
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Su-Th 5:00pm-11:00pm
Dinner: F-Sa 5:00pn-1:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Japanese
- Executive Chef: Takuya Otaki
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access
A word from Gazen Izakaya
Located 8 minutes from Waikiki bay by car, at GAZEN you can experience true Japanese "Teppan" and Tofu dishes, local and friendly atmosphere.Continued
Here at GAZEN we use the freshest local ingredients from vegetables to seafood including locally caught Tuna and Kahuku shrimp.
Please stop by, and give us a try !
Here at GAZEN we use the freshest local ingredients from vegetables to seafood including locally caught Tuna and Kahuku shrimp.
Please stop by, and give us a try !
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerJapanese
Gazen Izakaya - Best Restaurants in Honolulu ›
Gazen Izakaya reviews from OpenTable diners
41 reviews since June 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (26)neighborhood gem (22)good for groups (20)late-night find (18)special occasion (12)hot spot (10)kid-friendly (9)notable wine list (2)romantic (2)great for lunch (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/15/2014I was seriously disappointed with the service. Made reservations for 6 people at 630pm. We showed up a little after 6pm -- didn't get seated til 645pm! Plus the place was only half full. The table they sat us down at was definitely open before we got there too. Disappointing...
- Did not enjoy foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/3/2014The order came out randomly, the food was not good at all and the appetizer was extremely oily.Special Features:
- yummy!megsDined on 10/2/2014Amazing food and even better service. Will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TowellVIPDined on 9/28/2014High quality, generous 'small plates' -- tofu sampler was divine, the pork 'spare ribs' were not spare at all but divine meaty 4" ribs, chicken-mushroom rice hot pot (forget the actual name) superb. Ume/shiso maki slices were small but oh so flavorful. "Spicy" is used to describe quite a few dishes but this isn't the hot chili pepper variety of spicy but rather wonderful seasonings; flavorful is probably a better adjective. Casual setting with lots of low room/table dividers creating more intimate spaces. Many happy diners and friendly, efficient waitstaff. Will definitely return.Special Features:
- AwesomeElchisDined on 9/23/2014This is my new favorite restaurant. I have yet to eat anything here that I didn't like although some things are better than others. I will definitely return!Special Features:
- Family favoritegogobearsDined on 9/14/2014Reserved the smaller tatami room which was perfect for our extended family. Kids could roam and play in the corner as adults enjoyed the great food. Must try the prosciutto/ahi tartare/shiso with ume sauce - the bomb! Our server was excellent - explaining the dishes to us and recommending dishes. Recommend going with a group, so you can try many dishesSpecial Features:
- Great Happy HourdashDined on 9/11/2014Great service and happy hour prices are fantastic. The food is good in flavor. Environment is clean but I do wish it was cooler. The staff was friendly and helpful. I would recommend this place to my friends. Parking can get tight if you arrive late but if you're early like we were then its not a problem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place for sushi!CharlesDined on 8/29/2014The service was spot-on and they sat us early on knowing that I had to catch a flight out. Great sushi and excellent specials were available. The parking is very limited and you definitely should make reservations!Special Features:
- Again, ExcellentElchisDined on 8/24/2014This was my second time in four days and of course, it was great! I love the food here. Everything we ate was prepared with the blending of flavors in mind. This time, we had the fried mahi, yuzu salad, bacon wrapped asparagus, mochi balls, fried noodles, deep fried mozzarella with some green vegetable, and probably some other things that I can't remember. All of it was good. I will be back!!Special Features:
- Amazing AgainElchisDined on 8/21/2014Gazen is my new fav restaurant for Japanese type food. It's really a fusion type of restaurant but personally, I think the izakaya serves better food than some izakaya I've eaten at in Japan. I love this place!Special Features:
- tofuheaven14Dined on 8/21/2014Great food and service with a notable selection of sake. Gazen makes their own tofu - recommend the tofu sampler for 3 different types of tofu. All delicious! The tatami rooms are traditional style - comfortable and intimate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SOOOOO GOOD!!!ElchisDined on 7/27/2014Gazen Izakaya is a great restaurant. We came here for my brother in-law's b-day. We ordered at least 10 dishes for dinner and all were excellent. Some of the things that stand out were tofu sampler, salt/pepper friend noodles, salmon on toast, chiso and prosciutto wrapped fish, fried mozzarella and something, chicken and mushroom hot pot, fried mochi, and others. We loved every dish. I would have given this place 5 stars except the dessert wasn't that great. The fried sweet potato mochi was probably the best dessert followed by black sesame ice cream (which I felt wasn't creamy enough). The graprefruit jello thing was so bad, I couldn't eat it. My brother in law finished it but it wasn't his favorite. My family will return soon!!Special Features:
- great tofuKetomamaVIPDined on 7/26/2014it had been a long while from my last visit here. i enjoyed everything we had! i came out content and yet felt very light after eating good healthy food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 7/22/2014Took my friend here for a belated birthday dinner. It was his first time at Gazen...and he enjoyed the food very much! Great place for birthday dinners / special occassions. Great alternative to the other popular and busier restaurants in town.Special Features:
- RHSADined on 7/22/2014My wife and I took our guests and they enjoyed the home-made tofu, mahimahi dish , steak etc. and finishing with ochazuke (rice musubi mixed with tea. The food, service, and ambience was very good. We enjoy coming here. Since we are wine drinkers, we were surprised that no wine glasses are available at all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good servicedashDined on 7/11/2014Good service with friendly and helpful staff. Food was very tasty although portion is on the smaller side.Special Features:
- Food was very flavorfulOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/3/2014Food was very tasty good selection Service was very good too the food came at a good speedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RegularOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 6/26/2014I can safely call myself a regular. I think I dine here at least once or twice a month. Or somewhere around there. I feel that Gazen is a neighborhood gem with delicious and unique dishes. There are better places for sushi, but the sushi here is pretty good. I would order the hot dishes and the matsuri natto. So good.Special Features:
- The following 65 reviews are from the Gazen Izakaya reviews archive.
- Love this placeOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 6/20/2014I can't get enough. This is one of my favorite izakaya spots on Oahu. Great food at reasonable prices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/7/2014Great food and service!! The sake and bar selection was excellent and the dishes were equally delicious.Special Features:
- DisappointedMercedesDined on 5/25/2014I've been here before but this time I must say I was totally unimpressed. Service wasn't the greatest, had to wait awhile for our bill. Noise level was pretty bad this particular evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Happy findOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/23/2014Don't be fooled by the neighborhood, which is the last place you'd look for a fine-dining restaurant, or the exterior, which looks like a neighborhood bar that has seen better days. This place gave me the strongest echoes of my Tokyo restaurant experiences that I've had in years! The tofu sampler alone was worth the trip, my sashimi plate was uniformly excellent, and the sweet potato mochi for dessert was the capper. Only quibble would be the draft beer selection, limited to Kirin and Asahi -- not bad, but some Japanese microbrews on tap would be even better. And they're on OpenTable!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great findTT808Dined on 5/14/2014From the moment we arrived we were taken care off only waiting 5 mins to be seated even though we're were early for our reservation time. The staff was helpful and assisted us when we wanted to move to another table when we expected more guest. My guest were visiting from Japan and loved the food, they were really impressed and plan to visit again. A everyone raves about the sashimi and tofu salads. also the selection of alcohol was very good as well. I will definately be making future trips there again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food!nysmDined on 5/11/2014We had 7 in our group, so we tried a variety of dishes. The ahi/prosciutto with shiso is excellent - nice surprise! Also enjoyed their pork chop - flavorful black pepper with light creamy garlic sauce . The tofu sampler was wonderful - we love the sampler as we can't decide which one we like! The french fries and noodle sticks are great with a sprinkle of nori - definitely a hit with the kids. 2 orders of fries and 2 orders of the grilled salmon sushi with ikura for our kids! BTW, no point card any more, but they honored the filled one I had. Reservations are a must as this place is BUSY! We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice and easy locationLexusDined on 4/23/2014Good parking, good location. Beer on tap limited to two choices but a whole pitcher at Happy Hour is only $9. Deep fried pork is good as is their tofu sampler.Special Features:
- Ask for a Tatami Room Table...HKLCVIPDined on 4/21/2014We had a last minute change of plans and needed to find a place that would be suitable for an 18 month old toddler. I had been here before and remembered they had tatami rooms. We made a reservation (through open table of course!) and requested a tatami room. We got a separate area, and the toddler was able to wonder around in a safe environment. The food is always good here. Happy hour has the best deals, but okay for regular meal time as well. Everyone raves about the tofu sampler. I think it is a unique idea, and you should try it once, but don't expect to be wowed:) Karaage chicken, garlic steak and okonomiyaki were the standouts.Special Features:
- okOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/19/2014not as good as i thought it would be for the price you pay.Special Features:
- foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/23/2014great food and good service. very friendly atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun For Allm9z1VIPDined on 3/23/2014Joined some friends & had the best service. The sake selection was great & the food was even better. The tofu trio is a must try. Also, recommend the crispy Mahi Mahi.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Tofu!!!LoveExcellentRestaurantsVIPDined on 3/22/2014Everything is excellent at Gazen Izakaya but you must try the Tofu Sampler. Gazen Izakaya makes their tofu within their restaurant -- all are a little different and sooo delicious. The Tofu sampler includes (1) house-made Zaru Tofu (that comes with a small dish of sea salt and hoji cha salt so each person can add & create more depth to their desire), (2) house-made Torio Tofu (natural-light purple with a touch of sesame), (3) Sukui Tofu (tofu with soymilk -- Everyone's favorite). Gazen Izakaya is very popular so we were glad the restaurant has its own parking lot. If the parking lot seems full, check-in with the owner/GM who will find a space for your car.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingPaulCDined on 3/15/2014From the warm welcome to the delicious food, Gazen never disappoints.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A must returnhinachanDined on 3/15/2014Gazen is a great Izukaya! Love the food at reasonable rates. And the staff is awesome. Always smiling and very attentive very personable! I want to go back and try everything on the menu!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome food!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/14/2014Our family comes here about once a month...try the daily specials and chef specials...always winners! End the meal with the salmon ochazuke...delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Tofu ever! I highly recommendOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 3/10/2014Best Tofu ever! I highly recommend this little gem to anyone wanting authentic Japanese cuisine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place for meeting/eatingLovesYummyVIPDined on 3/7/2014My friend had great news to share with me and so we went to Gazen. The food is generally very good there, and there is value there at Happy Hour. Our waitress was very attentive, every tho' she had several tables to wait on. Altho' the noise level was "energetic," we were able to converse if we raised our voices now and then. Gazen's shiratama mochi-tofu is great, and the rib-eye never disappoints. Parking, on the other hand, can be a problem. Apparently Gazen is an especially popular place on the weekends, and my companion almost couldn't find parking----actually, she got the last available spot and she was 5 minutes early.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Waiting for our waiterMakaDined on 3/2/2014The food was overall really good (especially the okonomiyaki), but our service was kind of...interesting. Our waiter was a bit strange (from how he introduced the food to how he spoke to us), but that could have just been me. The part that bothered me was that while we spent 15-20 minutes trying to flag our waiter down, he remained kneeling in front of a table that was two tables away from us. You would think that he would be looking around at least to check on his other tables, but he just seemed to be talking story with the seated couple. Oh well, at least I enjoyed my food!Special Features:
- Fun but a little noisyLovesYummyVIPDined on 3/2/2014The food was good, but there were some tables that had energetic young people who spoke loudly and obviously having a good time. It was sometimes difficult to hear my companion across the table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always great eats!MaterHaterDined on 3/1/2014Although it's a bit on the pricey side, I never leave unsatisfied.Special Features:
- Food HeavenvikingDined on 2/22/2014Everything I've tried at Gazen has been delicious. Came here last summer with some friends and had to go back before going back to the mainland. I'm not normally a tofu eater but their homemade Tofu is soooo good! An absolute must try for dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TastyGood4meDined on 2/18/2014Miso soup - good, fried chicken w tasty sauce - good (this time it had a lot of fat) salad of hamakua tomatoes, spinach, avocado & shrimp in wasabi mayo-good, omellet filled w/ angel hair pasta w/pieces of simmered beef & bean sprouts- good and ground chicken & shiitake mushrooms in hot stone bowl - very good. Happy hour menu...fried mochi w/cheese on nori - didnt care for and battered potato discs deep fried w/butter- very oily. It was a Tuesday b4 530pm, seated next to a party of 3 females one of which spoke loudly the entire time we were there unless she was eating. The waiter could've allowed the party a little privacy & given us a more relaxed dining experience if he had seated us a few tables away.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.