380 Columbus Avenue
New York, NY 10024Neighborhood:
Upper West Side
Middle EasternPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://gazalaplace.com/
- Phone: 2128738880
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 10:30pm; Dinner: Friday - Sunday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm; Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 11:00am - 4:00pm
- Payment Options: Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Middle Eastern
- Executive Chef: Gazala
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Beer, BYO Liquor, Delivery, Gluten-free Menu, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Catering: Many of our items on our menu are available for private catering events. Don"t forget about the Borekas.
- Private Party Facilities: Large room to seat up to 125 people.
- Private Party Contact: Gazala 6463428948
A word from Gazala's
Don't miss a chance to try delicious druze meal prepared by Gazala's mother! She will be cooking her spun recepies August,1 to August,18! Get a taste you will never forget! A hidden gem amidst so much on the Upper West Side. Gazala's serves some of the best appetizers around to start off your dining experience. Chef/owner Gazala is Druze Israeli, but the menu will be familiar to anyone who has tried Middle Eastern food. The babaganoush (roast eggplant dip) is smoky and velvety. The inside of the kibbe's crispy crust is moist ground lamb seasoned perfectly with aromatic spices. The felafel (deep-fried ground chickpeas) feature an unusually crunchy crust. The ambiance is more contemporary than our Midtown location offering large areas for private parties and large groups. Don't be surprised to see Gazala come out of her busy kitchen and chat with the diners.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Gazala's reviews from OpenTable diners
60 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance3.6Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (30)fit for foodies (13)good for groups (12)great for lunch (11)romantic (7)great for brunch (6)great for outdoor dining (5)special occasion (4)late-night find (3)notable wine list (3)kid-friendly (3)hot spot (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- just plain good foodhpf30VIPDined on 10/14/2014Gazala's is just plain good Mediterranean food. We ordered the goat cheese spread and hummus which were great. For our main courses, we had the lamb and chicken kebobs which were perfectly cooked. The service is always responsive. I strongly recommend this neighborhood restaurant. Good food, good prices, good serviceSpecial Features:
- Best middle eastern food in NYCNYCAngelsVIPDined on 10/12/2014The menu is overly simple, the food overly delicious! The hummus and falafel are great, the stuffed grape leaves small but outstanding. The baklava is the best I have ever had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, very casualnyfoodie212Dined on 10/12/2014We went in on a Sunday evening around 7 and didn't get a waiter until 7:15 or so. So expect a little bit of a wait time in case you're there at peak hours. The waiter who helped us was very nice but quite busy. The food was delicious, but some of the servings weren't filling / big enough. I know Gazala's is not at all about presentation, but a little bit of thought into how the food is presented would have been nice. The food would have looked more appetizing.Special Features:
- Decent food but too noisyClar1Dined on 10/11/2014The food was basic and decent, pretty much what you'd expect. However, they were out of some basic menu items (including the reasonably priced house wine), which was surprising and somewhat inappropriate. While there didn't seem to be any music playing, the noise level was extreme, to the point that it was impossible to have any conversation, perhaps because the restaurant was pretty full. The service was somewhat brusk, again perhaps because the restaurant was pretty full. Not quite sure if I would rush back.
- will not go backfoodieDined on 10/11/2014The appetizers we great. My wife and I ordered the lamb and the shrimp dishes. the lamb was tough and the shrimp was so salty that the we requested a salad instead. the salad was not seasoned well.Special Features:
- Go for the appetizersCather123VIPDined on 10/7/2014The hummus and babaganoush were really excellent. Generous portions severed with extremely thin pita, almost like a crepe. It's druze style Israeli, so everything's familiar enough yet a little different. The chicken was juicy, although a bit salty. Lamb was very tasty, beef a bit dry. We did not care for the odd cole slaw of cabbage and corn. A little green salad would have been better with the meat and rice. Dessert of baklava was great, and it's rolled pastry stuffed with walnuts. Service was excellent, informative, friendly and timely. Wine was okay, with a generous pour. I will return and make a meal of mezze, as that's obviously their strong suit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just perfectAnjJDined on 9/29/2014We were a group of 4 on a Monday night, so it was quiet and they sat us up on the raised platform with the big table. Our waiter could not have been nicer and every single thing we ate was delicious. Their meats are so moist and flavorful, hummus and baba ghanoush so beautifully flavored, and desserts were also wonderful.Special Features:
- WarrenVIPDined on 9/26/2014We've eaten here several times and the food is consistently good and very healthy. The preparation of the food is done carefully, making sure to use good herbs and seasoning. The chicken, shrimp, salads, hummus, tabouli, falafel and everything else was just very outstanding. We will continue to patronize this gem and very much appreciate it being in the neighborhood. A wonderful departure from those noisy places w@ho rush you out! Thank you, Gazalas!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Middle Eastern with a twistTeddyWestSideDined on 9/25/2014The Druse twist is nice, and unique. The meats were all good and the Boreka was the highlight. I had a special with Lamb that was smoky and delicious, but it reminded my I don't care for lamb that much.Special Features:
- Excellent as UsualJanDVIPDined on 9/14/2014I was there twice this week. Can't get enough of those bourekas. I had the lamb special in pomegranate sauce which is delicious. The service is always goodSpecial Features:
- dny928Dined on 9/13/2014The food was absolutely delicious! The plates were great sizes and was just enough to hit the spot. I would recommend making reservations because of the size of the restaurant and it was busy the entire time we were there. The staff were friendly and the service was great. I will definitely be going back again in the near future!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love their foodJanDVIPDined on 9/12/2014They serve Druze food which is a distinctive Middle-Eastern cuisine and its delicious. The bourekas are my favorite. Their fish is also excellent and the lamb is delicious. The service is always excellent. The location is very good - right across the street from the American Museum of Natural History and a block away from the New York Historical Society.Special Features:
- a very nice restaurantchamsDined on 8/29/2014I enjoyed my dinner when i took my date, it was pleasantSpecial Features:
- good and reasonablechamsDined on 8/28/2014I enjoyed my dinner when i took my date, it was pleasantSpecial Features:
- AUTHENTICFussbudgetDined on 8/23/2014The selection of dishes and preparation were close to what I had in Israel just months ago in the area of Gazala's family restaurant. Perhaps it was theirs. Prices are moderate and the space is open and pleasant, with large windows.Special Features:
- Take out from hereGreatEaterDined on 8/20/2014The food was really good. The bourekas and baklava were amazing but the food took ages to come. It was so noisy we had to shout to hear so we didn't hear that our order wasn't taken down correctly. I think they need more chefs perhaps.
- Amazing FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 8/19/2014A couple of us friends landed at Gazala's yesterday for dinner. The food was beyond exceptional. The grilled chicken was flavorful and not dry that is typical of other Middle Eastern restaurants. The spinach pie with goat cheese tasted amazing although the cheese tasted more of Philadelphia cheese than goat cheese. My husband had the Halabi and that too was flavorful, it didnt have the meaty smell or taste that most red meat dishes have. I strongly recommend this place.Special Features:
- can't go wrongPhilVIPDined on 8/3/2014this place is fabulous, not just the food, but the service, too! Reasonable prices and a very well run restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Relaxing atmosphere, inviting foodNYCdinerVIPDined on 7/29/2014Most middle eastern restaurants are either similar to a fast food experience or high end dining. Gazala's is that perfect sweet spot in the middle. The restaurant on Columbus Ave is spacious and comfortable, and the food is as varied as any high end middle eastern restaurant -- from a variety of hummus and salads to kube and cigars to all sorts of grilled chicken kebab, lamb and fish. We ended our lunch with a pot of mint tea -- perfect. I particularly enjoyed the mushroom hummus and cigars which weren't greasy at all. The Israeli salad was also a standout.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent food / poor serviceShereeDined on 7/23/2014food was excellent. location was great. service was absolutely rotten. we sat down and figured out what we wanted. waitress took someone else's order before ours. we had ordered a pinot grigio and it showed up 20 minutes after we sat down. food arrived about 1/2 hour later. ordered date cookie dessert which never showed up. all the while we were dealing with a waitress who combined the lack of service with arrogance. we complained to the manager and left a 10% tip. we will never go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SamanthaUWSFoodDined on 7/19/2014I have been to this restaurant a few times. I love the Mezzi's! Service does not rush you.Special Features:
- Solid meal, great priceOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 7/14/2014Still with Mideast favorites and you will be happy. Really enjoyed meal. Only complaint was that shrimp in an AMAZING garlic sauce were likely frozen and a bit tough. Definitely get pita bread- awesome !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent restaurantRonG1007Dined on 7/2/2014My husband and I went to lunch at Gazala's and will definitely return. The food was delicious with different type middle eastern dishes. The only tnegative would be that the sauces were very salty. A little bit less salt you would taste the different herbs and spices. Thank youSpecial Features:
- olgaDined on 6/26/2014Food is excellent , but service is so and so. We have to asked few times while we got an extra napkingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 293 reviews are from the Gazala's reviews archive.
- a little blandMONYC1999VIPDined on 6/22/2014We loved the ambiance. It is a lovely restaurant. The staff was friendly. The food, sadly was a little disappointing. The pita and hummus was great, but overall the food was a little bit bland. I will definitely try again though to make sure it wasn't just an off night.
- wonderful foodBetsyknitVIPDined on 6/18/2014Our reservation was for 8:30 on a Wednesday night. for 5. Not crowded, duh. The food was wonderful. We had LOTS of appetizers, including babaganoush, hummus, cigars, borekas (amazing). Then a few shared plates for entrees. The service was surprisingly poor. Appetizers took a LONG time; didn't get everything we asked for. They did bring the lebanee after we asked twice. Water took a long time to refill. I would absolutely go back. But not if I had any time pressure!Special Features:
- Before Shakespeare in the ParkNativeNYkerDined on 6/18/2014Bourekas, special for the night, were delicious! And the salads so generous--enough for two to share. Service was excellent.I would recommend this to a friend.
- A delicious unassuming gemOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 6/15/2014Creative menu, with tasty versions of traditional dishes such as the hummus and the kibbe - smaller kibbe more delicate and tasty than the ones typically found in middle eastern restaurants .. Staff friendly and attentive, proactive - we were going to order too much food and they pointed it out! .. We will return and bring friends ...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No thanksOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/14/2014The food was bad and overpriced with service to match. I won't be going back.
- Gazala's is GreatJanDVIPDined on 6/14/2014We love eating here and have never had a bad meal. The boureka's are excellent. the grilled fish is always fresh and juicy. And its across the street from the American Museum of Natural History.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Solid neighborhood jointOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/7/2014Portions were a bit small for the price point, but everything was fresh and well prepared. Service was friendly and the server was knowledgeable. Great location - on a corner behind the museum. Outdoor seating as well - and they dont try to cram the tables together so you can't move which is a win.
- Excellent food! Charming vibeNycDinerVIPDined on 6/3/2014I have loved both visits here. The first time I went for brunch and most recently I went for dinner. Though the dessert took a long time, the service was attentive. The babaganoush is so fantastic that it's worth a trip just for that! I highly recommend the mixed grill for chicken, beef and lamb tasting. Enjoy!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved the mezze platterSooz830Dined on 6/2/2014If you are new to Mediterranean food, I recommend getting their Mezze sampler, which allows you to try 9 different hot and cold appetizers for $33. This helped many in our party decide what they wanted to order for the entrees. The pita bread and hummus were excellent, as was the vegetarian falafel. We had an early dinner on a Monday evening, so we were almost the only ones there and the server was very attentive.Special Features:
- Prime choiceWarrenVIPDined on 6/1/2014Superb food and service. Highly recommended. Early reservations suggested since this place fills up quickly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Can do no wrong...ArleyVIPDined on 5/31/2014Constantly delish. Nice serving staff and a pleasure to go to for lunch or dinner. Chair are a bit hard though.Special Features:
- Yum!AC33VIPDined on 5/28/2014Great lunch spot. Excellent hummus w warm homemade pita, generous salads, def get the chicken added on, tender and flavorfulSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- not bad, but over pricedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/13/2014i don't like the way they make you feel if you use a groupon- like a second class citizen. there were too many restrictions and you are made to feel bad. they even made it obvious that they wanted us to leave soon as another couple wanted our specific table even though there was plenty of seating and we had reservations.
- Gazala is consistent and delicious.WendeenycVIPDined on 5/2/2014Gazala makes food that lights up your taste buds. From the hummus to the delicious meats and desserts made for sharing, dining here is always a great time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very much recommendedAlexDined on 4/28/2014I had my first date at the original location with my wife now. Been going there since they opened, great place, the most notable thing is the outstanding food. I simply can't describe how super delicious it is, I tried almost every dish they have. We had a groupon this time, but, if regular prices, I personally think it's very reasonable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a pleasurePhilVIPDined on 4/28/2014This restaurant is a real find in the UWS. Reasonable prices for outstanding food. How can one go wrong. Also, the ambiance is quite and relaxing, unlike most restaurants in the area.Special Features: