380 Columbus Avenue
New York, NY 10024Neighborhood:
Upper West Side
Middle EasternPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://gazalaplace.com/
- Phone: 2128738880
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 10:30pm; Dinner: Friday - Sunday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm; Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 11:00am - 4:00pm
- Payment Options: Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Middle Eastern
- Executive Chef: Gazala
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Beer, BYO Liquor, Delivery, Gluten-free Menu, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Catering: Many of our items on our menu are available for private catering events. Don"t forget about the Borekas.
- Private Party Facilities: Large room to seat up to 125 people.
- Private Party Contact: Gazala 6463428948
A word from Gazala's
Don't miss a chance to try delicious druze meal prepared by Gazala's mother! She will be cooking her spun recepies August,1 to August,18! Get a taste you will never forget! A hidden gem amidst so much on the Upper West Side. Gazala's serves some of the best appetizers around to start off your dining experience. Chef/owner Gazala is Druze Israeli, but the menu will be familiar to anyone who has tried Middle Eastern food. The babaganoush (roast eggplant dip) is smoky and velvety. The inside of the kibbe's crispy crust is moist ground lamb seasoned perfectly with aromatic spices. The felafel (deep-fried ground chickpeas) feature an unusually crunchy crust. The ambiance is more contemporary than our Midtown location offering large areas for private parties and large groups. Don't be surprised to see Gazala come out of her busy kitchen and chat with the diners.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Gazala's reviews from OpenTable diners
61 reviews since June 4, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (27)fit for foodies (14)great for lunch (11)good for groups (11)romantic (7)great for outdoor dining (6)great for brunch (6)late-night find (5)special occasion (4)notable wine list (3)hot spot (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- WarrenVIPDined on 9/26/2014We've eaten here several times and the food is consistently good and very healthy. The preparation of the food is done carefully, making sure to use good herbs and seasoning. The chicken, shrimp, salads, hummus, tabouli, falafel and everything else was just very outstanding. We will continue to patronize this gem and very much appreciate it being in the neighborhood. A wonderful departure from those noisy places w@ho rush you out! Thank you, Gazalas!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent as UsualJanDVIPDined on 9/14/2014I was there twice this week. Can't get enough of those bourekas. I had the lamb special in pomegranate sauce which is delicious. The service is always goodSpecial Features:
- dny928Dined on 9/13/2014The food was absolutely delicious! The plates were great sizes and was just enough to hit the spot. I would recommend making reservations because of the size of the restaurant and it was busy the entire time we were there. The staff were friendly and the service was great. I will definitely be going back again in the near future!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love their foodJanDVIPDined on 9/12/2014They serve Druze food which is a distinctive Middle-Eastern cuisine and its delicious. The bourekas are my favorite. Their fish is also excellent and the lamb is delicious. The service is always excellent. The location is very good - right across the street from the American Museum of Natural History and a block away from the New York Historical Society.Special Features:
- a very nice restaurantchamsDined on 8/29/2014I enjoyed my dinner when i took my date, it was pleasantSpecial Features:
- good and reasonablechamsDined on 8/28/2014I enjoyed my dinner when i took my date, it was pleasantSpecial Features:
- AUTHENTICFussbudgetDined on 8/23/2014The selection of dishes and preparation were close to what I had in Israel just months ago in the area of Gazala's family restaurant. Perhaps it was theirs. Prices are moderate and the space is open and pleasant, with large windows.Special Features:
- Take out from hereGreatEaterDined on 8/20/2014The food was really good. The bourekas and baklava were amazing but the food took ages to come. It was so noisy we had to shout to hear so we didn't hear that our order wasn't taken down correctly. I think they need more chefs perhaps.
- Amazing FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 8/19/2014A couple of us friends landed at Gazala's yesterday for dinner. The food was beyond exceptional. The grilled chicken was flavorful and not dry that is typical of other Middle Eastern restaurants. The spinach pie with goat cheese tasted amazing although the cheese tasted more of Philadelphia cheese than goat cheese. My husband had the Halabi and that too was flavorful, it didnt have the meaty smell or taste that most red meat dishes have. I strongly recommend this place.Special Features:
- can't go wrongPhilVIPDined on 8/3/2014this place is fabulous, not just the food, but the service, too! Reasonable prices and a very well run restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Relaxing atmosphere, inviting foodNYCdinerVIPDined on 7/29/2014Most middle eastern restaurants are either similar to a fast food experience or high end dining. Gazala's is that perfect sweet spot in the middle. The restaurant on Columbus Ave is spacious and comfortable, and the food is as varied as any high end middle eastern restaurant -- from a variety of hummus and salads to kube and cigars to all sorts of grilled chicken kebab, lamb and fish. We ended our lunch with a pot of mint tea -- perfect. I particularly enjoyed the mushroom hummus and cigars which weren't greasy at all. The Israeli salad was also a standout.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent food / poor serviceShereeDined on 7/23/2014food was excellent. location was great. service was absolutely rotten. we sat down and figured out what we wanted. waitress took someone else's order before ours. we had ordered a pinot grigio and it showed up 20 minutes after we sat down. food arrived about 1/2 hour later. ordered date cookie dessert which never showed up. all the while we were dealing with a waitress who combined the lack of service with arrogance. we complained to the manager and left a 10% tip. we will never go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SamanthaUWSFoodDined on 7/19/2014I have been to this restaurant a few times. I love the Mezzi's! Service does not rush you.Special Features:
- Solid meal, great priceOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 7/14/2014Still with Mideast favorites and you will be happy. Really enjoyed meal. Only complaint was that shrimp in an AMAZING garlic sauce were likely frozen and a bit tough. Definitely get pita bread- awesome !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent restaurantRonG1007Dined on 7/2/2014My husband and I went to lunch at Gazala's and will definitely return. The food was delicious with different type middle eastern dishes. The only tnegative would be that the sauces were very salty. A little bit less salt you would taste the different herbs and spices. Thank youSpecial Features:
- olgaDined on 6/26/2014Food is excellent , but service is so and so. We have to asked few times while we got an extra napkingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a little blandMONYC1999VIPDined on 6/22/2014We loved the ambiance. It is a lovely restaurant. The staff was friendly. The food, sadly was a little disappointing. The pita and hummus was great, but overall the food was a little bit bland. I will definitely try again though to make sure it wasn't just an off night.
- wonderful foodBetsyknitVIPDined on 6/18/2014Our reservation was for 8:30 on a Wednesday night. for 5. Not crowded, duh. The food was wonderful. We had LOTS of appetizers, including babaganoush, hummus, cigars, borekas (amazing). Then a few shared plates for entrees. The service was surprisingly poor. Appetizers took a LONG time; didn't get everything we asked for. They did bring the lebanee after we asked twice. Water took a long time to refill. I would absolutely go back. But not if I had any time pressure!Special Features:
- Before Shakespeare in the ParkNativeNYkerDined on 6/18/2014Bourekas, special for the night, were delicious! And the salads so generous--enough for two to share. Service was excellent.I would recommend this to a friend.
- A delicious unassuming gemOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 6/15/2014Creative menu, with tasty versions of traditional dishes such as the hummus and the kibbe - smaller kibbe more delicate and tasty than the ones typically found in middle eastern restaurants .. Staff friendly and attentive, proactive - we were going to order too much food and they pointed it out! .. We will return and bring friends ...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No thanksOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/14/2014The food was bad and overpriced with service to match. I won't be going back.
- Gazala's is GreatJanDVIPDined on 6/14/2014We love eating here and have never had a bad meal. The boureka's are excellent. the grilled fish is always fresh and juicy. And its across the street from the American Museum of Natural History.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Solid neighborhood jointOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/7/2014Portions were a bit small for the price point, but everything was fresh and well prepared. Service was friendly and the server was knowledgeable. Great location - on a corner behind the museum. Outdoor seating as well - and they dont try to cram the tables together so you can't move which is a win.
- The following 286 reviews are from the Gazala's reviews archive.
- Excellent food! Charming vibeNycDinerVIPDined on 6/3/2014I have loved both visits here. The first time I went for brunch and most recently I went for dinner. Though the dessert took a long time, the service was attentive. The babaganoush is so fantastic that it's worth a trip just for that! I highly recommend the mixed grill for chicken, beef and lamb tasting. Enjoy!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved the mezze platterSooz830Dined on 6/2/2014If you are new to Mediterranean food, I recommend getting their Mezze sampler, which allows you to try 9 different hot and cold appetizers for $33. This helped many in our party decide what they wanted to order for the entrees. The pita bread and hummus were excellent, as was the vegetarian falafel. We had an early dinner on a Monday evening, so we were almost the only ones there and the server was very attentive.Special Features:
- Prime choiceWarrenVIPDined on 6/1/2014Superb food and service. Highly recommended. Early reservations suggested since this place fills up quickly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Can do no wrong...ArleyVIPDined on 5/31/2014Constantly delish. Nice serving staff and a pleasure to go to for lunch or dinner. Chair are a bit hard though.Special Features:
- Yum!AC33VIPDined on 5/28/2014Great lunch spot. Excellent hummus w warm homemade pita, generous salads, def get the chicken added on, tender and flavorfulSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- not bad, but over pricedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/13/2014i don't like the way they make you feel if you use a groupon- like a second class citizen. there were too many restrictions and you are made to feel bad. they even made it obvious that they wanted us to leave soon as another couple wanted our specific table even though there was plenty of seating and we had reservations.
- Gazala is consistent and delicious.WendeenycVIPDined on 5/2/2014Gazala makes food that lights up your taste buds. From the hummus to the delicious meats and desserts made for sharing, dining here is always a great time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very much recommendedAlexDined on 4/28/2014I had my first date at the original location with my wife now. Been going there since they opened, great place, the most notable thing is the outstanding food. I simply can't describe how super delicious it is, I tried almost every dish they have. We had a groupon this time, but, if regular prices, I personally think it's very reasonable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a pleasurePhilVIPDined on 4/28/2014This restaurant is a real find in the UWS. Reasonable prices for outstanding food. How can one go wrong. Also, the ambiance is quite and relaxing, unlike most restaurants in the area.Special Features:
- Fantastic Druze FoodLvbnnyDined on 4/26/2014We'd eaten at the tiny Gazala's in Hells Kitchen and loved it, so we were excited to try their larger, swankier location on the Upper West Side. After a bit of a rough start (we stood around the hostess stand for several minutes without anyone acknowledging our existence), the meal was delightful. The food, which is Druze Israeli, is excellent. (We sent the felafel back because it was hard, and we were brought nearly immediately fresh, delicious ones.) It's eclectic, super tasty and really interesting. The service was attentive but not overwhelmingly so, and since we were interested in a relaxed, unhurried meal, the time between courses--which might otherwise be considered a bit lengthy--was perfectly fine.Special Features:
- Yum!kkkkkVIPDined on 4/26/2014Food was delicious! We really enjoyed our dinner!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sub-parWillDined on 4/25/2014Portions way too small for the price. Menu choices are plain and pedestrian. Overall, the food is underwhelming. There are superior value options in the neighborhood. You are not missing much here.
- Delighful.LolaaishaDined on 4/25/2014Fantastic food, pleasant service. Worth the trek up to that side of town. Used a groupon voucher for dinner, a great deal.Special Features:
- Always Great FoodJanDVIPDined on 4/23/2014We eat here often and have never been disappointed. My favorites are the fish, the lamb special with pomegranate sauce and the borekas. We used a Groupon with friends and couldn't order any of those so we had to try new dishes, all of which were excellent. The mixed grill and the chicken shish kabob were delicious.Special Features:
- Good Food. Just Can't ConverseOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 4/18/2014Here's the good part. This was the best babaganoush I've ever had. It had a rich smokey complexity that topped the chart. The rest of the meal was very good and the price was quite reasonable. I just couldn't hear anything anybody said. I SAID I CAN'T HEAR YOU. Maybe it is because we went there on a Friday night but trying to converse was hopeless. At the end of a long work week I didn't want to have to expend all that energy just to have pleasant conversation. We smiled a lot. Luckily the food was worth smiling about. I'd recommend it for the food but maybe it's not so loud during the week.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never got the dessert we paid forOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/18/2014The food is good. We were a party of 6, celebrating my birthday. We ordered desserts and were waiting for it for a while, the asked for the check thinking it would come with dessert. Well, the check came, we paid, got dressed, dessert never came. We decided not to wait any longer and left.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but not greatTerryVIPDined on 4/12/2014Great location and nice old building/setting. Food not too flavorful and small portions.I would recommend this to a friend.