Gaylord India Restaurant - SF
One Embarcadero Center, Promenade Level
San Francisco, CA 94111Neighborhood:
Financial District / Embarcadero
IndianPrice: $30 and under
Gaylord India Restaurant - SF
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.gaylords1.com/
- Phone: 4153977775
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:30 am - 2:30 pm; Dinner: Daily: 5:00 pm - 10:00 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Indian, Contemporary Indian
- Executive Chef: R GIRI
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Private Room, Takeout
- Catering: Cooperate Events, Weddings, Graduations, Birthday Parties
- Private Party Facilities: Room Rentals. Restaurant Buy out.
- Private Party Contact: Bart and Muni 4153977775
- Entertainment: Soft sitar music .
A word from Gaylord India Restaurant - SF
Gaylord India Restaurant, Internationally acclaimed since their inception in New Delhi. London. Hong-Kong and Chicago arrived in Bay Area in 1976 bringing the best in traditional Indian dining. Each dish is meticulously prepared using only finest ingredients. Their sumptuous food and excellent service always bring back San Francisco natives and visitors alike with new friends in town. Whether you are hosting an Event or private party, Gaylord India Restaurant will serve you a memorable feast. Located in prestigious Embarcadero Center within a Walking distance from major Hotels and Ferry Building. A Bit of India in the Bay. Enjoy Happy Hour Monday -Friday 5-7 PMContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Gaylord India Restaurant - SF reviews from OpenTable diners
18 reviews since May 2, 2014
- Ambiance3.5Noise LevelModerate
great for lunch (6)good for groups (4)special occasion (4)scenic view (3)neighborhood gem (1)fit for foodies (1)great for outdoor dining (1)great for brunch (1)romantic (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Indian Food in a Tony Part of SFOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/27/2014$17 for lunch buffet is on the pricier side, but the Gaylord is in Embarcadero center - downtown SF, so it sounds reasonable. We had a good meal - all of the vegetarian dishes were well made (but a bit on the bland side to cater to the mostly non-Indian clientele). Again understandable. They will validate parking if you park in Embarcadero center (not if you park in Golden Gateway Garage which is next door).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for workscottsh115Dined on 8/15/2014We had a work outing. The place was great. They could seat all 13 of us easily. We had the buffet so people could easily choose what they wanted. Our service staff kept us supplied with drinks. Even though we had a large party, the server did not automatically add the tip to the bill.Special Features:
- Superb & beautiful restaurantRobertRBryanDined on 7/31/2014This is an excellent restaurant. It was the first time I had been to Gaylord Indian Restaurant in years. What a nice & beautiful place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Indian HospitalityOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/30/2014We had a great evening with excellent food, highly personal service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So disappointedLongtimerDined on 7/22/2014I have been a Patron since 1983. I do admit it was only the third time I have been to the one embarcadero location. We have been to the Ghiradelli Sq location a least 25 times including holding my husbands bachelor party there in 1987.the food was still great but was not as good as many I have experienced in the interve I g years. There is no ambience at this place. It is dirty and needs a makeover. I was very embarrassed that I brought people here and it was so filthy. At least the food and service were good. They were very nice but your business is suffering because of where you are located.
- Lacked variety, but decentOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 7/7/2014The buffet lunch options were minimal. I'm much more used to a wider variety of options (from the South Bay Area) and was very surprised to see how few options there were. Price was a bit high for what was offered.
- Old hat...hohumDined on 5/12/2014I have been going to Gaylord's since the seventies. live out of town now so not frequent in recent years. emailed a week in advance to be sure I would get what I wanted. went out of my way to get there. paid downtown parking fees. Food was good but nothing special--not like 20 years ago. and not worth the price. I paid more than twice as much for what I can get locally for under $30.Special Features:
- The following 82 reviews are from the Gaylord India Restaurant - SF reviews archive.
- Not goodJaclynVIPDined on 4/23/2014Probably some of the most over priced and completely flavorless indian buffet I've ever had.
- Good food, Nice people, wrong billOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/22/2014Enjoyed the ambiance, food and service (kinda - the asian girl seems kinda distracted and "clueless"). However, on leaf ing the restaurant I discovered that I was charged incorrectly for my first drink - whig caws during happy hour and my second drink, which was not. So, I do recommend this restaurant, BUT MAKE SURE you double check your bill before you pay, as they clearly do not pay attention to this.
- Great Food and staffKevinVIPDined on 4/11/2014It has been around for awhile and had never gone. Will go again... Great foodSpecial Features:
- A Birthday to Remember!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/4/2014Our daughter chose Gaylord's for her 25th birthday celebration. We drove in from out of town to take her and other family members to dinner. The owners were amazing...especially Sharma, who helped us get a gluten free cake from a nearby bakery where we ordered it to surprise our daughter. A lively rendition of Happy Birthday by restaurant staff topped off the evening! We have loved Gaylord's for many years, and this was the best of the best! Very friendly, warm and loving people serving amazing Indian food. You can't go wrong here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent business dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 3/26/2014Went with a small group of colleagues for a business dinner. It was very quiet - which is just as hoped. The service was outstanding - very attentive without being intrusive. Sure beat the service that we had the night before at a trendy SF hotspot. Food was very good. Nothing to "ohh and ahh" over, but very good Indian food, outstanding garlic naan. I would definitely go again for the food. Family run, it appears. They really take care of you. Good wine list. Highly recommend!Special Features:
- Service worse than food.BAHTVIPDined on 2/8/2014We had not been to Gaylord in several years. It was one of the first upscale Indian restaurants in SF. Since then, there have been several very good (Dosa) Indian restaurants opening. The service was extremely poor. The owner/manager? looked like he just got up from watching TV (cardigan sweater & slacks. The other (very young) waitstaff were in uniforms. The service was poor. Long wait to be greeted by waiter. Cocktails were finally (20 minutes) ordered and arrived not prepared as ordered ( on rocks vs. up). Then another waitperson approached asking if we would like cocktails. Clearly no clear definition of table assignments. The bottle of wine arrived, only to sit on the table for 10 minutes before being opened. On and on...
- Back Again!aldoVIPDined on 1/24/2014Haven't been to Gaylord India since it was at Ghirardelli Square! The food is still as delicious as we remembered. They took a last minute reservation. We were seated right away but had to wait for service to begin and later found out that due to a death in the family of one of the waitstaff, they were short handed. Once things got under way service was good and food came quickly. All in all it was a lovely evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointingstephDined on 1/18/2014I was lured in by the aromas, but the food did not measure up. Could they be pumping out the steam from someone else's kitchen? Entrees were passable. Pakora appetizer was utterly devoid of flavor. Servers were pleasant, but disorganized . The space is nice enough, pretty traditional. We were seated near a group of about ten people, where one pathetic man dominated their whole conversation with talk of his tech job. Won't be going back.Special Features:
- Solid Indian FoodScottVIPDined on 1/12/2014All the favorite dishes. Deliciously prepared. Friendly service by the owner. Conveniently located next to the movie theater.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Finally great Indian food again!BoricuaInSFVIPDined on 1/10/2014Love Indian food but can't eat it everywhere because of acid reflux. Unless fresh and authentic ingredients are used to prepare my meal, I will have a night to not remember. Went this Friday night for the first time to this location. Knew their previous location on Palo Alto and wasn't disappointed at all: great food, nice place and the best of all no acid reflux for my picky stomach. Even made for me my favorite Indian dish that wasn't in the menu! Will be back soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- food was goodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/31/2013The food was good, but I'm not very satisfied with the service. we had a reservation at 9:30 but they didn't ready for this time. So we get a table at 10:00.Special Features:
- Good Food. Needs a faceliftDineDontEatDined on 12/24/2013Loved our dinner for a group of 10 (special occasion). I just wish the owners would take a moment, walk the restaurant and simply ask: When did be last paint? When we we repair broken seats? When was the last time we invested in our investment. As much as we loved the food, I'm still looking for a really good Indian restaurant that hits 4-5 on all ratings..Special Features:
- Pretty goodloverestaurantsVIPDined on 12/15/2013The food is quite good, but it wasn't quite hot enough. In fact, the whole restaurant was rather cold. There are a lot of windows and a skylight, and they really need a better heating system, or some additional space heaters. But the management is friendly, and basically it's a very nice place. You really couldn't go wrong.Special Features:
- Love GaylordPinkDined on 12/5/2013. We chose buffet style an food selection was great. It wasn't busy at all so I was a bit surprise that after our first round, the plates were not collected. Water was not filled either. Luckily I was with really good company, otherwise, the water thing would of bugged me because my tolerance to heat is low. Yes, I would go back.Special Features:
- As far as I am concerned,GraifoxDined on 11/21/2013As far as I am concerned, Gaylord's has some of the best Indian cuisine in San Francisco.Special Features:
- Great Indian FoodKarenDined on 10/12/2013Gaylord's is a long-time favorite that I haven't visited since I left San Francisco 15 years ago. As usual, the food is excellent, and my cousin thoroughly enjoyed her first taste of India. We both love spicy food and were not disappointed, although people who don't like it hot have plenty of milder choices. Indian breads are fabulous and Gaylord's has them all. The restaurant has lovely paintings on the walls.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good But Slow ServiceAGreatFindVIPDined on 7/8/2013The food at Gaylord was very good; however, the service was very slow. We went in on a Monday night which is not very busy and mostly got ignored and kept having to flag down wait staff to get anything.Special Features:
- Indian Food in San FranciscoCristaDined on 6/18/2013Looking for indian food, a friend gave me the name of the restaurant. And what a good idea was! Excelent food! But don't believe ever, when an indian says it is not hot or spicy!! I'll repeat it every time I could!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Early Dinner in the EmbarcaderLRinMarinVIPDined on 5/30/2013I met a friend after work for dinner and we enjoyed eating at Gaylord India. The hostess was very pleasant when I arrived first. and the waiters were very attentive. I don't know how authentic it is since I am not a regular at Indian restaurants, but the food was very good.
- Enjoyed all assistance givenalmostsingleVIPDined on 5/17/2013Enjoyed all assistance given to us. My Tibetan friend found the food tender and to her liking, as she did all the ordering.Special Features:
- The food was very well preparedSitaDined on 4/27/2013The food was very well prepared and with the right amount of spices. Even the portions were of the right size. Overall we had a nice dinner and would like to recommend this place for a quite business dinner or a special family occasion.Special Features:
- Team lunch @Gaylord-SFOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/25/2013Good food, good service and ambience.. I felt like the choices/varieties in lunch buffet are very minimal when compared to the price paid...Special Features:
- DeliciouskatilunaDined on 3/22/2013I enjoyed dinner with a friend on a Friday evening at Gaylords. She also works in the financial district, making it a short walk from our respective offices. The dining room is nice. It's tucked away from the bar and luncheon area. It is small - just 8 tables I think -- but has a window and door that let light in. The staff was wonderfully warm, welcoming, and attentive without being intrusive. We had chicken tika masala, aloo gobi, a savory spiced rice, plain naan, and Kingfisher beers. We finished off the dinner with relaxed conversation over chai teas. The food was delicious, beautifully colorful and I will go again.Special Features:
- Great food, poor service this timeMasterFoolDined on 2/16/2013The food at Gaylord was quite good. We had the Karahi Gosht, the Rogan Josh, and the Chicken Vindaloo. Everything tasted quite wonderful. The only issue was the service, which was very poor to start, and never better than Fair. Our server took almost 15 minutes to greet us, then didn't come back and take our order for another 20 minutes. We attempted to get her attention numerous times, to no avail. After some of our food was delivered, we asked her to check on the other items, and she responded with a very rude "Yes, Yes, It's Coming!" What is worse is that this service was not limited to just our table. A couple who came in after us had the same issue. One bout of poor service won't keep me from coming back, but it's troublesomeSpecial Features:
- The service was off from theOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 2/14/2013The service was off from the moment we first walked in. No one really greeted us. A waiter sort of waved at us to follow him to a table at the very farthest backest part of the restaurant. It was at least 10 minutes before anyone came to the table and that was just the water person. It took another 5 minutes (and my waving) to get a waiter (our first of four), who, after finding out we didn't want to go through the buffet, dropped menus and left. Several more minutes until another different waiter came by to ask if we wanted something to drink. Several more minutes until our third waiter asked if we wanted to go through the buffet. He agreed to take our order off the menu. So, we're at least 20 minutes in before we ever ordered.
- The food was very good, andOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/9/2013The food was very good, and the person who looks after them (Sushil Sharma). But not all waiter/waitress are upto standard.Special Features:
- The food was OK but the ambianceLinAdlinDined on 2/5/2013The food was OK but the ambiance have dropped quite a bit from the late eighties when it was at the Ghiradelli Square.
- Slightly pricey relative toOmnivoreDined on 2/1/2013Slightly pricey relative to quality (good food but not particularly special in respect of presentation or flavor). Excellent service. Location is convenient to Embarcadero Cinema.
- Very good Indian food restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 1/30/2013Very good Indian food restaurant in the City, located almost immediately beside the movie theater in the Embarcadero in the City. Quiet, good food and service. Ambiance is average, older style restaurant. Average value for food.
- If going to the EmbarcaderoOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 1/6/2013If going to the Embarcadero Theater to see a movie, there is no better place than Gaylord's to have a quiet, civilized meal in advance. It will always be our go-to place in such situations; nothing else for blocks around can compare with the flavorful offerings, the reasonable cost or the convenience.Special Features:
- Very friendly, food was veryOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/10/2012Very friendly, food was very good!! Nice dining experience!!Special Features:
- I miss the old Gaylord's location,OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/13/2012I miss the old Gaylord's location, in Ghirardelli Square, looking out over the Bay -- but that's partly because, being from Wisconsin, that was a special treat. The food is as great as ever. I wasn't sure how to categorize the special features as we ate there last evening and all four loved our meals, but don't have a broad range of experiences at Gaylord's to allow us to rate it. (So, for example, I didn't really look at the wine list, so can't comment on it.) The service last evening was stellar.Special Features:
- The food is "OMG" (oh! my god).OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/10/2012There are so many Indian restaurants in San Francisco. This is the only one I would go as the recipies are authentic close to eating at home in India and my mother's cooking.Special Features: