324 Lafayette Street
New York, NY 10012Neighborhood:
MediterraneanPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.gatonyc.com/
- Phone: 212-334-6400x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Saturday Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm
Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mediterranean
- Executive Chef: Bobby Flay
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Gato
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerMediterranean
Gato - Best Restaurants in NoLita ›
Gato reviews from OpenTable diners
583 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (451)hot spot (374)special occasion (260)vibrant bar scene (239)neighborhood gem (191)good for groups (170)romantic (113)notable wine list (105)late-night find (54)great for lunch (13)great for brunch (12)scenic view (6)kid-friendly (5)great for outdoor dining (4)Show More
- Delicious!DallasLKNDined on 9/28/2014We dined on a late Sunday night. Started the evening with the pick 3 option under "bar." We had the razor clams, yellowtail, and beef crudo. Everything was delicious. Our favorite was the razor clams. We then had the grilled octopus, followed by the steamed halibut. We would definitely come back.Special Features:
- New bobby flay fan!BonvivantDined on 9/28/2014Our waiter Derek was so informative, made great suggestions, funny. In fact all staff excellent, I'm not a bobby flay fan but the food was great! Try the octopus! To die for!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Satisfied taste budsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/27/2014With the simple and to the point menu selection, you're not gonna be overehelmed with selections. I ordered the shrimp for appetizer abd porkchop for entree, both selections really packed with flavor; well seasoned and finely cookedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service was great, food was so soOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 9/27/2014Food doesn't merit a repeat visit. Nothing we ate was special/memorable.Special Features:
- Just amazing. Best octopus ever.ViviDined on 9/24/2014Been trying to come to Gato for a while till I finally manage to find an open spot for my reservation. The food was just amazing. We order the bar three samples to start. Yellow tail, eggplant and chorizo and it was hard to pick a winner. They were all so good and the presentation was beautiful. Then we had the octopus and the scrambled eggs and even though both were spectacular I'm an octopus fan and I have to say that their octopus is the best I've had so far. Steak and paella for our main courses were also delicious. Jason was our server. He was great!!!! He was very knowledgable still his service was very personal. His wine bottle suggestion was just perfect. Loved everything in general. Definitely we will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Birthday DinnerHolly13924Dined on 9/24/2014Gato is a gem of a restaurant. The food is incredible, the ambiance is cool and lively, and the decor is unparalleled. Highly recommend the rabbit and the crab risotto, the subtle layers of flavor in the dishes make for a very satisfying meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and fab funOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/24/2014We visited as a group from the UK and booked based on a recommendation. The food was all so flavourful; my dish of octopus was cooked to perfection and the tarragon chicken was juicy and well balanced. Service was also great with many of the recommendations from the waiter being taken up. Overall we had a fun filled evening and Bobby Flay was even in for the night!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceptional foodOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 9/24/2014Food was faultless. Went for the recommended dishes - paella, tarragon chicken entrees, lamb pizza and scrambled eggs apps. Incredible carrots side. Could not resist the bar snacks - piquillo pepper, potatoes were fabulous. Good reasonable wine choices. Only complaint was the frenetic pacing. Within about 5 minutes of placing our order, ALL the apps and bar snacks came out simultaneously. No chance to savor. Asked the server to please slow things down a bit, and he did. Other than that, incredible meal. We will be back, if we can score another reservation!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MeganVIPDined on 9/24/2014server had very good knowledge of every food item & was comfortable with the nuances of the wine list. Server was very enthusiastic about the food & clearly enjoyed her job, the environment. The food was very good, served promptly, without attitude at anytime as we ordered only 1 entree for 3 but several smaller, fantastic dishes so we could enjoy as much as possible. Wonderful!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A little disappointedAmandaAMaxVIPDined on 9/24/2014We went to Gato after hearing a lot of buzz about it but I was disappointed overall. The restaurant is VERY crowded, as three waiters nearly fell on top of me while I was trying to make my way out. We ordered three of the bar snacks, which were probably the best part of the meal (the carne cruda, eggplant and ricotta). My friends enjoyed the octopus appetizer, but the portions were miniscule. My eggs appetizer was overwhelmed with goat cheese, i couldn't taste anything else in it. I ordered the mushroom paella, which i thought was really under seasoned. My friend ordered the rabbit, which was very overcooked and tough. I feel like Gato still trying to get its groove as I've been to Flay's other restaurants and thought they were much better.Special Features:
- Again and again and againDomaramiVIPDined on 9/23/2014The kitchen consistently hits it out of the park here. Plus the Bobby Flay sightings are an extra perk. We have our favorite dishes: the spreads to start, lamb pizza and mushroom/kale paella to share. We're always tempted to order more becuase the scrambled eggs and octopus are also outstanding. Servers know their stuff and offer trustworthy and candid guidance from the wine through the last item on the food menu.Special Features:
- MudhenVIPDined on 9/23/2014We loved Bobby Flay's take on Basque cuisine. We were regulars at Mesa Grill for a decade and now he has given us another special place to return to again and againSpecial Features:
- Excellent service and food!BDRandJGGDined on 9/22/2014My boyfriend and I went to GATO for his birthday. We were excited to see Bobby Flay being that we are huge fans but he had left already. We still had a delightful time at his restaurant; our waiter checked up on us often, our appetizer was great, our food was great, and so was the dessert we ordered. We will definitely be coming here again. Maybe next time we will get the opportunity to meet him! :)Special Features:
- Mom's BirthdayDaughter12Dined on 9/22/2014My mom has been a fan of Bobby Flay's for the longest. My father and her flew to NY for her birthday. I bought her a gift card for GATO and made her a reservation. After, dinner she immediately contacted my sisters and I to tell us how much she loved the restaurant. I want to thank you guys for the wonderful treatment and food. It made her trip memorable. Thanks guys!Special Features:
- Trendy dining hallSpediniDined on 9/22/2014I like smaller spaces. Food was interesting but the rabbit we ordered was overpowered by Indian sspices. Glad we went...probably won't go back.Special Features:
- A must tryLisamc2210Dined on 9/21/2014There are items on the menu I have never seen before and may not ever again. I definitely expanded my horizons and was adventurous. The service was beyond excellent and the food was out of this world. I highly recommend you try it out!Special Features:
- summerdining1Dined on 9/20/2014The food was fantastic and the service was great as well. I went with a group and we tried a variety of dishes and all were amazing. The only disappointing thing was that Bobby Flay was not there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GreatmaijkDined on 9/19/2014The food is fantastic and the service is outstanding!Special Features:
- Loved it!shanagementVIPDined on 9/19/2014Loved the small plates, especially the bar menu! Don't miss the lamb pizza and the cauliflower. I will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BarjeansDined on 9/19/2014Thoroughly enjoyed our evening. Great food, friendly and professional service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This is not to MissAmbianceIsEverythingDined on 9/18/2014My night at Gato was simply splendid. Bobby knows what he's doing with this menu. I felt taken care of the entire night from the time I walked in to leisurely strolling out three hours later. I absolutely loved the ambiance although it was loud. I didn't mind because it felt cozy with my friends as the tables are spread far apart from each other. The waiters are kind and very knowledgable and the wine specialist (I refuse to try to spell the correct name for this) was very cute!:) I highly recommend. Everything we ordered was delicious particularly the paella.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic FlayWillowDined on 9/18/2014Bobby Flay has a magic touch. Once again, he has opened a dynamite restaurant, with spectacular food. It is always packed, and hard to get into, but worth the trouble. We were very sad to see Mesa Grill close. But this one surpasses even that. Too bad the prickly pear margarita has been dropped from the bar offerings. We have now had most things on the menu. Not a bad dish among them.Special Features:
- Amazing FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 9/17/2014Definitely do the pick three bar bites - great way to try a few things! The paella was delicious. Wine was exceptional! Perfect spot for an anniversary or birthday dinnerSpecial Features:
- Amazing Service and Incredible Foodcp123Dined on 9/16/2014When we had to book our reservation two weeks in advance and could only get a 5:45 time slot, we knew we were in for something special. Of course this is a new trendy, hotspot with incredible reviews but I thought it was well worth the hype. Two of us shared bar snacks (razor clam salad, yellowtail ceviche, eggplant), the spreads, the paella, roasted cauliflower, and octopus. Everything was delicious and so unique. Unfortunately we didn't sample the wine or drinks list but definitely will next time around. The blackberry crostata was also amazing but stained our teeth (good thing we two girls were heading home after) so I would pass on that for a date night. Gorgeous atmosphere as well!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/16/2014Food was amazing especially the octopus appetizer. Waiter was great and explained everything on the menu. Definitely would go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nobody does flavor like Flay!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/15/2014This was my second visit to Gato, and it was every bit as memorable as the first time I dined there. I say with sincerity that I loved every dish I tried - the flavor combinations are exciting and I leave feeling so satisfied.Special Features:
- Amazing foodRoseDined on 9/15/2014Had the paella and pizza and they were delicious. Would definitely recommend this restaurant.Special Features:
- FabulousCypressbelleDined on 9/15/2014First time athat a Bobby Flay restaurant. Noted for spicy cuisine (which my husband doesn't care for), he wanted to try it. The scrambled eggs served with toasted bread with tomato confit was delicious. Rabbit was cooked to perfection and broccolini had a wonderful sauce. The thing that impressed us was our waiters attention to helping pick out menu items that my husband could eat or adjusted so my husband could eat that didn't affect the integrity of the dish! Don't miss the blackberry crostata with peach gelato..wow.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Interesting restaurantSergieDined on 9/15/2014Although the entrée selection is rather limited, the dishes are rich and bold in flavor. The bar menu and one entree could easily make a meal for two. The rabbit and the paella are excellent dishes. Dessert was the only part of the meal that was just OK. The service was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/13/2014The food was great. We were rushed with our meal. We had another bottle of wine picked out to order and the staff began rushing us and standing next to the table waiting for us to get up. It was obvious they had another booking coming up and they were done with us. We will not go back. We visit NYC often and enjoy eating in wonderful restaurants and going back to the ones that we enjoyed.Special Features:
- AMAZEballs!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/12/2014Bobby was playing in the kitchen and was gracious to all guests - food was delicious. Lamb pizza was fab. Crab risottoSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic!J1letterDined on 9/12/2014One of the best meals I ever had. Everything was flawless. We even,met Bobby!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantabulousrxmarilynrxVIPDined on 9/12/2014An excellent find with food fit for everyone's tastes! We had so much fun ordering a variety of dishes and sampling a little of everything; it made our dining expericence out of this world!Special Features:
- Terrific food, turbo charged vibeTerrificturbovibeDined on 9/11/2014Beautifully designed restaurant, creative and delicious food and a strong wait staff, but it falls a little short due to subway level noise near bar and wait staff at a frantic pace trying to keep up. Have to be up for a turbo charged experience which we are at times.Special Features:
- Excellent early Dinner!!jhgbuffDined on 9/11/2014I took my parents on my last visit to NYC to Gato and they were impressed , the food was great! I was afraid the portions were small but they were just right to get us to desert and coffee. The only complain is that my reservation was 5:30pm and the restaurant opened at 5:30pm I was there 15 min before and had to wait outside. I think they could have open earlier and let you wait inside if you have reservation. Other than that the experience was fantastic. Service was excellent. I recommend this restaurant if you like spicy food and modern noise ambient.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nothing SpecialOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 9/10/2014Decent Restaurant, really in my opinion nothing special. Extremely small App's and the bar menu items are a joke. Over priced, but a Bobby Flay restaurant can and will get away with it. Il Bucco, much, much betterSpecial Features:
- EXCEPTIONAL SERVICEIZ817VIPDined on 9/10/2014celebrated a friend's birthday here the other nite. as my friend and i were being seated i congratulated her on her birthday. we went on to have our dinner (the octopus, cauliflower, scrambled eggs - all amazing; the pizza was a tad disappointing). at the end of dinner, the restaurant sent us complimentary glasses of wine and added a candle to the tarte we had ordered. it was an exceptionally thoughtful gesture and suggested the staff is trained to be responsive to guests' needs. i have been impressed by Gato on each visit but this experience really was outstanding.Special Features:
- Very CoolMaxMDined on 9/9/2014Firstly, I should say the service was EXCELLENT. Server clearly explained everything on the menu, made great wine and food recommendations, and put up with my cranky older relatives which is always an impressive feat. The food itself was not incredible (though I HIGHLY recommend the lamb tenderloin bar dish and the charred broccolini side -- to die for), and I don't think it lived up to the Bobby Flay hype or to the prices, which were pretty steep. Personally I think service and ambiance are half of what make for a good meal, and both of those were spectacular at Gato, so I can't complain. I would definitely skip the Crab Risotto next time, though.Special Features:
- Too LoudSambuccaDined on 9/8/2014Loved the food but as the evening went on it got very loud in the restaurant.Special Features:
- How good can food taste?MattAdamsMagicDined on 9/7/2014I've always heard it said that "food can only taste so good." That is a lie. Chef Flay has taken my palate to a whole new level with this amazing experience. I've eaten in restaurants the world over, and Gato is now one of my top two restaurants. I ordered a "choose 3" as an appetizer and then got the tarragon chicken for my entree. The chicken was delicious, but I really loved the crispy potato and goat cheese side. However, my favorite part of the meal was the "choose 3" selections - I had the beef, lamb, and yellowtail. The lamb was the best thing I've ever placed into my mouth. I just wanted to keep eating and never stop! Only downside was that the server had some difficulty keeping my iced tea filled. But wonderful experience overall!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.