324 Lafayette Street
New York, NY 10012Neighborhood:
MediterraneanPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.gatonyc.com/
- Phone: 212-334-6400x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Saturday Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm
Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mediterranean
- Executive Chef: Bobby Flay
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Gato
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMediterranean
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
Gato - Best Restaurants in NoLita ›
Gato reviews from OpenTable diners
525 reviews since May 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (396)hot spot (317)special occasion (239)vibrant bar scene (221)neighborhood gem (178)good for groups (136)romantic (111)notable wine list (94)late-night find (55)great for lunch (14)great for brunch (11)scenic view (5)kid-friendly (5)great for outdoor dining (2)Show More
- Great comeback Bobby FlayOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/27/2014Bobby Flay's new Mediterranean is amazing. Great flavors, amazing appetizers makes it perfect for groups. Orders lots of appetizers and bar bites to share!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Dinner!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/27/2014Came here to celebrate a birthday and was not disappointed. The food is delicious. We had a big group and we tried a lot of different things off of the menu, and everything was so good. The burratta is amazing, and the grilled eggplant is divine. We shared a paella, which was one of my favorite dishes-- it is topped with fried artichoke hearts! My dinner was the pork chop, and it was wonderful. It was over polenta which was creamy and delicious. Of course we had to try desserts and our favorite was definitely the Blackberry Costata-- crispy and sweet. Other favorites were the cheesecake and the peach brown butter cake. Definitely can't wait to return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bobby does it again!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/26/2014The food was excellent, and the service was very professional. I've been to almost all of Bobby Flay's restaurants and I have never been disappointed. Looking forward to eating there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gato is Great!DwtnGirl520Dined on 8/26/2014I was finally able to score a reservation for reservation for 3 and Gato lived up to all the hype! Delicious food, great service and great location. Bar plates and appetizers are tapas like and entrees are normal size. Service is excellent. Would definitely go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- exciting food, exciting ambienceJeanneVIPDined on 8/26/2014Exciting flavors in imaginative combinations of ingredients. Delicious food in a beautiful, cavernous room, electric atmosphere. Wonderful service. We had a great experience in our first visit, and will definitely return.Special Features:
- Excellent!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/26/2014We thoroughly enjoyed our meal at Gato and plan to return the next time that we are in the city (next month). For appetizers, we ordered the roasted octopus (super tender and flavorful), the chicory salad (light, creamy dressing topped with a poached egg), the pizza with goat cheese (the capers made this dish pop), and the gato salad (good). For our entrees, we ordered the paella (absolutely delicious), the orata (also excellent), and the pork chop. By the time that we got to the dessert course, we were pretty full and ended up only ordering the espresso soaked bread pudding -- yummy. There were a few kinks in the service, but nothing major. We will definitely be returning and would absolutely recommend Gato.Special Features:
- Meals were very good!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/25/2014Most of the service people were helpful and accommodating, except one of the waiters who was a little too self-assertive, by recommending what he liked (how do we know whether we like the same things he likes), and was not attentive enough to listen to guests' order; that is, did not listen to the end of our deserts' order and turned away before we finished ordering. Different style of recommendation would be appreciated. Otherwise, my friend and I enjoyed the dinner and would like to come back to try many other dishes. We especially enjoyed the Gato salad, and roasted broccoli was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gato doesn't disappointOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 8/25/2014The food was fantastic. Bold flavors, excellent service in a relaxing atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrific foodDarryleVIPDined on 8/24/2014Great bar with top-notch bar staff. Excellent food and earnest (busy) service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just okJaneDined on 8/23/2014My experience was just ok, I did like some of the dishes more than others but overall it was just good. I had a reservation for 10pm on a Saturday night but when we got there we still had to wait for a table for a few minutes which was ok except there is not enough space to wait so we felt uncomfortable and in the way. There wasn't any room at the bar. The waiter was very nice but it seemed that he had too many tables to serve and we found ourselves waiting for the waiter a lot. Several times we had other waiters/hostess come to our attention because our waiter had his hands full. The restaurant is nice the ambiance was ok but I think I expected more.
- Bobby Flay does it again!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/23/2014Gato is fantastic!!! We went with our two daughters to celebrate my husband's birthday. My husband tried the three appetizers from the "bar" portion of the menu. They were incredible!! The eleven layer potato, the tuna, and the piquillo chili all beautifully presented and so tasty. I had the charred tomato and wheatberry salad with goat cheese which was amazing. The Kale, wild mushroom and crispy artichoke paella was so flavorful and unique. The desserts are beautiful and so tasty, the blackberry crostata and the brown butter peach cake were divine. The service is excellent and the ambience is fun and lively! We can't wait to go back and try everything else in the menu!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bobby Flay's new restaurantbpnyDined on 8/23/2014Mesa Grill was my favorite restaurant, so I was really looking forward to trying Gato. I was very, very happy with my meal. It has a very different kind of menu from Mesa Grill, but still has the Flay signature of strong, varied flavors. We had all the vegetable side dishes - they were the highlight of the meal. The tortiglione appetizer was wonderful, as were the kale and mushroom paella and charred beef valdeon entrees. The service was impeccable. Our waiter was intimately familiar with the menu and answered our many questions fluently and, it turned out, quite accurately. All the staff was very attentive and I often found that some other staff noticed that I needed something and responded. Gato is definitely a place I will return to.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- it was goodbutterfly2118Dined on 8/23/2014First time trying Bobby Flays restaurant, its was good, I don't mind the prices but hoping the entrees was a little bigger..Special Features:
- Unconditional RecommendationAlbertDined on 8/23/2014My wife and I were very impressed with the very knowledgable service staff and having a great dialogue on the elements and qualities of the various dishes. Top class establishment with good pricing sans the patronizing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Ambiance and VibrancyAnnieVIPDined on 8/22/2014A vibrant, fun, celebratory atmosphere awaits at this new, beautifully designed Bobby Flay restaurant. The food is very good but needs tweaking in that some dishes are fantastic, like the kale and mushroom paella, while some dishes are just mediocre, like the Gato salad and the hake (just hake and sauce for that price, no vegetables or starch included); desserts, however, are awesome. Wines by the glass need diversification.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very tastyOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/21/2014Tasty food in a nice, formerly industrial setting. Good sized portions, which was nice.Special Features:
- SpeechlessAbcdDined on 8/20/2014I'm definitely goimg bAck. http://instagram.com/p/r-Wc_lnDYg/Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TOOOO SALTY!!!!srm1VIPDined on 8/19/2014What a disappointment......we first had a rude receptionist who seemed to forget that we were waiting, and finally a more courteous receptionist seated us. The table wait staff were very good....but the food was SO SALTY!!! We had the crab risotto, rabbit, and pork chop...ALL WAY TOO SALTY!! SO DISAPPOINTED BOBBY FLAY!!!
- One NoteMIMIDined on 8/19/2014You have to be a fan of Flay's and of over spiced food. I had Orata with so much spice that it would have tasted the same whether it was chicken, beef, veal, etc. Added to that it was way over cooked. The same was true on the other two people's items. The three of us had about 7 dishes, as many are small plates, and all had a one note flavor.Special Features:
- Almost but not quiteVieveVIPDined on 8/19/2014I wanted to love Gato. I had waited three months, after all, with cancellations due to sudden late nights at work and the flu sneaking up on me. Maybe it was a case of high expectations. Maybe if I had just walked into Gato randomly and ordered crab risotto and halibut, it would have been amazing. But the risotto was under-cooked, the halibut over-cooked. The octopus and paella were home runs, though. The flavors in general were all amazing, but the texture was hit or miss. I'd try it again, but only if they can accommodate walk-ins. No more waiting for weeks!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/19/2014Loved the unique combination of food ingredients eg. Egg and artichoke in paella. Octopus appetizer was fabulous. Service was well orchestrated by a professional and well trained staff. Food was served to all at our table in one wave by multiple servers. One member of our party forgot his reading glasses to peruse menu and lovely attendant brought a pair to our table to accommodate him. That is service! Atmosphere was relaxed and non-pretentious. It is a spot definitely worth crossing the border for!Special Features:
- OMG I Can't Even Begin!!!!!!!!!!!!!lalaVIPDined on 8/18/2014Outstanding. Perfection. Beyond. Superb. We have been waiting to try this new venture for Mr. Flay. We all know him from the Food Network, and admittedly he's been a bit over exposed, so my hopes for the highest level of culinary genius were tepid. But Lord have Mercy..this meal was utter brilliance. Choose 3 app...Yellowtail, Beef Crudo, Muscles and Razor Clams, stunning were all three. Scrambled eggs...I can't...you must order this!!!! My bestie had the Halibut, and I had the Fried Artichoke, Kale and Mushroom Paella...the restraint, the flavor profile, the notes that sang on your tongue after each bite made you want to order another just because! And of course dessert, Red Plum Tar Tain...F*ck! with black pepper vanilla gelato!!!! Bravo.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good for Veggiesveggie4lyfeDined on 8/17/2014The kale paella was amazing and the sharing apps choice is convenient for different kinds of eaters.Special Features:
- 5 Stars, that's allandycali6Dined on 8/17/2014Simply unbelievable. If you want to impress someone, take them there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, right spaceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/16/2014My brother and I came here after eating dinner the same night. We weren't very hungry, but we made the reservation because we really wanted to try this place while in town. We ordered a few apps to split. Everything was delicious. The decor of the restaurant was nice, but we were shoved into a corner booth where my brother's chair sat directly next to the register. I was smashed into the corner wall as well. All night, my brother was sitting next to a waiter closing out a bill for the most part. This seat should probably be removed or used as part of the table beside us. Other than that, this place was great. I would definitely come again for the full meal, earlier reso, and a full table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous Meal at GatoNonTTHReviewerDined on 8/16/2014This restaurant lives up to its hype. The food was incredible and the service was even better. Everything we ordered was delicious and the restaurant is gorgeous. It is not a quiet dining place or for kids, but we weren't there for those reasons. Must haves include the scrambled eggs, the Kale paella, roasted cauliflower and the fried potatoes. We also got one of the pastas as an entrée which was also amazing (an underdog as our server told us), the tortiglioni. The charred tomato salad was also quite good and so were the dips but not must haves if they're not your thing. The chocolate crema catalane - over the top incredible. I can't say enough about this restaurant - Bobby has outdone himself!Special Features:
- PluperfectWordgirlDined on 8/16/2014I expected a lot from Bobby Flay's Gato, and my expectations were surpassed. Everything we ordered was superb: the roast octopus, the charred tomato appetizer, crab risotto, rabbit, and above all, the charred beef, which was outstanding. The desserts we had (lemon cake with blueberry gelato and blackberry crostata with vanilla ice cream and honey) were also excellent. The wines were handled expertly. The only disappointment was that they forgot to put a candle on the dessert for my daughter's birthday. Otherwise, perfection!Special Features:
- I adore B. Flay but.......WishUponADishDined on 8/16/2014I have dined in many B. Flay's establishments and while it was terrific, something was missing and we just couldn't name it. He has designed a place that seamlessly blends into this historic district of NYC. It is warm and relaxing, the staff is accommodating and knowledgeable. The reviews favored the tapas, not impressed. The octopus was up there with the best (and I have eaten it all over Spain.) The rabbit, exquisite (he does rabbit well, I so miss you Mesa Grill) and hubby's steak, perfect. A Saturday night, we expected the place to be packed, especially the huge welcoming bar. It did not seem to be a destination spot for the locals so a perfect place for our intimate B-day celebration. Did I mention the staff was stupendous!!Special Features:
- Great Food - Loud By The BarjfichaudVIPDined on 8/14/2014When you think celebrity chef you don't necessarily expect great food. Gato is the exception to this rule. The "choose 3" from the bar plates was great. We had the lamb, buratta and potatoes. The lamb pizza was also great. The octopus was some of the best I've had. We then moved on to the Paella and Steak. The paella is not to miss but would have been better with some sort of protein.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing food and great atsmosphere!JoaniesGirlDined on 8/13/2014This place is a find. The food is awesome, beautifully prepared and presented. I have to specifically mention the octopus, it is THE BEST I have ever had. And if you have never had it, this is the place to have it (although it will spoil you for life). If you are a foodie, you will be in heaven - unique combinations of flavors, textures and presentations. All in all, one of my new favorite restaurants!Special Features:
- yoj07Dined on 8/10/2014Congratulations to Bobby Flay for another successful restaurant. the food and service was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- could have been better...ponyoDined on 8/10/2014This is my second time dining at Gato. I think the bar items & appetizers are delicious & unique. Unfortunately I was not a huge fan of my entree - the squid ink fettuccine. The shrimp and mussels were extremely fishy-tasting (did not seem very fresh). Frozen shrimp cooked at home is less fishy than that. Also the potato side that we ordered was SO salty. After just one bite of the potatoes, I had to drink an entire cup of water. Last time, I ordered the kale/mushroom paella as my entree but the kale was bitter and entire dish too salty. This time someone else ordered it and it was way better (not bitter, less salty). It doesn't seem that the dishes are very consistent. The cheesecake dessert was delicious though, and service is top-notch.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/9/2014Loved the rabbit. The shrimp appetizer sat in a bed of grease and it was not appealing. The cauliflower was also in a bed of grease and not that good.
- Fantastic dinner treat!mark9874Dined on 8/8/2014Visited Gato after pre booking weeks in advance to get a table - not disappointed! Wow, every mouthful of food was just amazing and a treat for the senses. The service was unobtrusive and subtle. We enjoyed the entire experience and would recommend to anyone - just take your credit card as it isn't cheapSpecial Features:
- Rabbit was Excellent!JerseyJohnDined on 8/6/2014Staff is friendly, professional and most importantly knowledgeable. Rabbit was unbelievable, crispy potatoes are a must. I don't usually give five stars since nobody is ever perfect, however, I could find no fault in anything. Although it is loud (as are most NYC restaurants) you have more space than usual. Definitely going back.Special Features:
- Packed with flavorOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/5/2014All of the dishes were extremely flavorful. The crab risotto was delicious as was the white anchovies and burrata. For the main course we had the halibut in a tomato sauce with olives - the fish was well prepared and the sauce was light but perfectly balanced with the olives. I would definitely recommend having dinner at Gato.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Tasting Sensation!OpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 8/5/2014Everything tastes amazing. Start with any appetizer, specifically the scrambled eggs or grilled octopus, for entrees try the kale & mushroom or chicken, add a side dish, specifically the cauliflower.Special Features:
- Best ever!Lurvegr8diningDined on 8/4/2014We were so thrilled with our first visit to Gato. We had reservations for a Monday night and were seated immediately. We wanted to experience as much of the food as possible so we did the bar menu - each having 3 little appetizers. Then, we each had an appetizer, and this left room for a shared dessert. Every bite was outstanding. On the bar menu, my hands down favorite was the anchovies - best I've had outside Italy. But the eggplant and chorizo were delicious too. My husband had lamb tenderloin and piquillo with raw tuna and loved everything. His appetizer was roasted octopus which he declared perfect. Mine was exquisite crab risotta. We will not miss this place on our next trip back to the City.Special Features:
- AmazingmelissaVIPDined on 8/4/2014AMAZING PLACE AMAZING FOOD IT WAS TRULY OUTSTANDINGSpecial Features:
- Full of FlavorsfoodieIamDined on 8/4/2014Great food and special cocktails, the staff had great knowledgeable of the menu and definitely has great skills for customer service. My only complaint was the noise level.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.