324 Lafayette Street
New York, NY 10012Neighborhood:
MediterraneanPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.gatonyc.com/
- Phone: 212-334-6400x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Saturday Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm
Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mediterranean
- Executive Chef: Bobby Flay
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Gato
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerMediterranean
Gato - Best Restaurants in NoLita ›
Gato reviews from OpenTable diners
564 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (430)hot spot (358)special occasion (254)vibrant bar scene (234)neighborhood gem (190)good for groups (156)romantic (111)notable wine list (101)late-night find (55)great for brunch (14)great for lunch (13)kid-friendly (7)scenic view (4)great for outdoor dining (4)Show More
- Loved it!shanagementVIPDined on 9/19/2014Loved the small plates, especially the bar menu! Don't miss the lamb pizza and the cauliflower. I will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/19/2014Thoroughly enjoyed our evening. Great food, friendly and professional service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This is not to MissOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/18/2014My night at Gato was simply splendid. Bobby knows what he's doing with this menu. I felt taken care of the entire night from the time I walked in to leisurely strolling out three hours later. I absolutely loved the ambiance although it was loud. I didn't mind because it felt cozy with my friends as the tables are spread far apart from each other. The waiters are kind and very knowledgable and the wine specialist (I refuse to try to spell the correct name for this) was very cute!:) I highly recommend. Everything we ordered was delicious particularly the paella.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic FlayWillowDined on 9/18/2014Bobby Flay has a magic touch. Once again, he has opened a dynamite restaurant, with spectacular food. It is always packed, and hard to get into, but worth the trouble. We were very sad to see Mesa Grill close. But this one surpasses even that. Too bad the prickly pear margarita has been dropped from the bar offerings. We have now had most things on the menu. Not a bad dish among them.Special Features:
- Amazing FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 9/17/2014Definitely do the pick three bar bites - great way to try a few things! The paella was delicious. Wine was exceptional! Perfect spot for an anniversary or birthday dinnerSpecial Features:
- Amazing Service and Incredible Foodcp123Dined on 9/16/2014When we had to book our reservation two weeks in advance and could only get a 5:45 time slot, we knew we were in for something special. Of course this is a new trendy, hotspot with incredible reviews but I thought it was well worth the hype. Two of us shared bar snacks (razor clam salad, yellowtail ceviche, eggplant), the spreads, the paella, roasted cauliflower, and octopus. Everything was delicious and so unique. Unfortunately we didn't sample the wine or drinks list but definitely will next time around. The blackberry crostata was also amazing but stained our teeth (good thing we two girls were heading home after) so I would pass on that for a date night. Gorgeous atmosphere as well!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/16/2014Food was amazing especially the octopus appetizer. Waiter was great and explained everything on the menu. Definitely would go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nobody does flavor like Flay!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/15/2014This was my second visit to Gato, and it was every bit as memorable as the first time I dined there. I say with sincerity that I loved every dish I tried - the flavor combinations are exciting and I leave feeling so satisfied.Special Features:
- Amazing foodRoseDined on 9/15/2014Had the paella and pizza and they were delicious. Would definitely recommend this restaurant.Special Features:
- FabulousCypressbelleDined on 9/15/2014First time athat a Bobby Flay restaurant. Noted for spicy cuisine (which my husband doesn't care for), he wanted to try it. The scrambled eggs served with toasted bread with tomato confit was delicious. Rabbit was cooked to perfection and broccolini had a wonderful sauce. The thing that impressed us was our waiters attention to helping pick out menu items that my husband could eat or adjusted so my husband could eat that didn't affect the integrity of the dish! Don't miss the blackberry crostata with peach gelato..wow.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Interesting restaurantSergieDined on 9/15/2014Although the entrée selection is rather limited, the dishes are rich and bold in flavor. The bar menu and one entree could easily make a meal for two. The rabbit and the paella are excellent dishes. Dessert was the only part of the meal that was just OK. The service was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/13/2014The food was great. We were rushed with our meal. We had another bottle of wine picked out to order and the staff began rushing us and standing next to the table waiting for us to get up. It was obvious they had another booking coming up and they were done with us. We will not go back. We visit NYC often and enjoy eating in wonderful restaurants and going back to the ones that we enjoyed.Special Features:
- AMAZEballs!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/12/2014Bobby was playing in the kitchen and was gracious to all guests - food was delicious. Lamb pizza was fab. Crab risottoSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic!J1letterDined on 9/12/2014One of the best meals I ever had. Everything was flawless. We even,met Bobby!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantabulousrxmarilynrxVIPDined on 9/12/2014An excellent find with food fit for everyone's tastes! We had so much fun ordering a variety of dishes and sampling a little of everything; it made our dining expericence out of this world!Special Features:
- Terrific food, turbo charged vibeTerrificturbovibeDined on 9/11/2014Beautifully designed restaurant, creative and delicious food and a strong wait staff, but it falls a little short due to subway level noise near bar and wait staff at a frantic pace trying to keep up. Have to be up for a turbo charged experience which we are at times.Special Features:
- Excellent early Dinner!!jhgbuffDined on 9/11/2014I took my parents on my last visit to NYC to Gato and they were impressed , the food was great! I was afraid the portions were small but they were just right to get us to desert and coffee. The only complain is that my reservation was 5:30pm and the restaurant opened at 5:30pm I was there 15 min before and had to wait outside. I think they could have open earlier and let you wait inside if you have reservation. Other than that the experience was fantastic. Service was excellent. I recommend this restaurant if you like spicy food and modern noise ambient.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nothing SpecialOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 9/10/2014Decent Restaurant, really in my opinion nothing special. Extremely small App's and the bar menu items are a joke. Over priced, but a Bobby Flay restaurant can and will get away with it. Il Bucco, much, much betterSpecial Features:
- EXCEPTIONAL SERVICEIZ817VIPDined on 9/10/2014celebrated a friend's birthday here the other nite. as my friend and i were being seated i congratulated her on her birthday. we went on to have our dinner (the octopus, cauliflower, scrambled eggs - all amazing; the pizza was a tad disappointing). at the end of dinner, the restaurant sent us complimentary glasses of wine and added a candle to the tarte we had ordered. it was an exceptionally thoughtful gesture and suggested the staff is trained to be responsive to guests' needs. i have been impressed by Gato on each visit but this experience really was outstanding.Special Features:
- Very CoolMaxMDined on 9/9/2014Firstly, I should say the service was EXCELLENT. Server clearly explained everything on the menu, made great wine and food recommendations, and put up with my cranky older relatives which is always an impressive feat. The food itself was not incredible (though I HIGHLY recommend the lamb tenderloin bar dish and the charred broccolini side -- to die for), and I don't think it lived up to the Bobby Flay hype or to the prices, which were pretty steep. Personally I think service and ambiance are half of what make for a good meal, and both of those were spectacular at Gato, so I can't complain. I would definitely skip the Crab Risotto next time, though.Special Features:
- Too LoudSambuccaDined on 9/8/2014Loved the food but as the evening went on it got very loud in the restaurant.Special Features:
- How good can food taste?MattAdamsMagicDined on 9/7/2014I've always heard it said that "food can only taste so good." That is a lie. Chef Flay has taken my palate to a whole new level with this amazing experience. I've eaten in restaurants the world over, and Gato is now one of my top two restaurants. I ordered a "choose 3" as an appetizer and then got the tarragon chicken for my entree. The chicken was delicious, but I really loved the crispy potato and goat cheese side. However, my favorite part of the meal was the "choose 3" selections - I had the beef, lamb, and yellowtail. The lamb was the best thing I've ever placed into my mouth. I just wanted to keep eating and never stop! Only downside was that the server had some difficulty keeping my iced tea filled. But wonderful experience overall!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dining with the StarsBestBite67Dined on 9/6/2014Very good-looking space with appropriate emphasis on the showcase kitchen where Chef Flay can be seen doing what he does so well. Very attractive table settings, food prepared with focus and presented with flair. Outstanding service.Special Features:
- Good, but over-pricedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/5/2014Gato was delicious. The food was great and the service was on top of their game. The ambiance was incredible and was a really nice setting. I will say that although the food was very good and very high quality, the prices were not justified. I don't mind spending more on quality; it was very good. I just feel they could go a little further on portion size or reconsider the prices of regualr items. We had a large number of items that were very good and I would recommend Gato for a special occasion for sure. I would also definitely get the Octopus for an app.Special Features:
- Once again...thrilled..ericaVIPDined on 9/5/2014... by our last dinner at Gato. Luciano, our preferred waiter, is always on point without ever being obtrusive. Each time I dine at Gato, I am amazed by the interplay of flavors created by the kitchen: Complexity of tastes and textures lassoed into every dish I've tried over multiple visits.. Salt, sweet, savory, sour...each element is there even in the tiny "bar dishes." .. Continuing on theme, the chicory salad is a symphony of textures and flavors that lofts it to the top rank of salads served in NY at this time. I adore the lavish use of Spanish ingredients that may be unfamiliar to many Americans. I did report on Chowhound about several of my dinners at Gato so far.Special Features:
- Blew away my expectationsOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/4/2014We were excited to go to a Bobby Flay restaurant and this one going to be one of the highlights of our trip! We had HIGH expectations for the visit and were consistently blown away!We got seated and our waiter, whose name escapes me, was amazing! Everything he recommended was absolutely delicious! The roasted octopus is like butter! My wife got the kale & mushroom paella and I love meat, but that was amazing! I got the Fresh Fettuccine (with Spanish Prawns, Mussels all in Squid Ink*) It tasted like the sea! We also got the Crispy Potatoes (with poached egg, paprika, and fresh herbs) this was the star of the meal! It was a party of flavor in my mouth! Lastly we got the Blackberry Crostada with Strawberry Gelato! Delish! Loved it! Book now!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Flay hits a home runNevilleNosherVIPDined on 9/4/2014Our meal at Gato was absolutely excellent. Started with the crab risotto which was incredibly rich and flavorful as it had been prepared with a shellfish veloute (it seemed) as oppose to a simple stock. My wife had the rabbit which was delicious and i had the pork chop which was one of the best that i have had in recent memory. The potatoes with a poached egg were very rich and delicious. Deserts did not disappoint either. It is rare to have such a totally satisfying meal. The flavors are very bold and we will definitely return next time we are in NYC.Special Features:
- Mediocre at bestMrpickyDined on 9/4/2014Uninspiring food. We had smoked shrimp (really bad), roasted tomato salad (good, not great), tarragon chicken (pretty good especially with the roasted potatoes) and pork shop (zero taste). Sad.
- Great food but otherwise just okforkful1Dined on 9/4/2014The food is first rate. The bar appetizers were outstanding. My wife and I each had three different selections and they were all to rave about. Likewise with our entrees. The pork porterhouse was cooked to perfection, as was the polenta which accompanied it. My wife's halibut with olives, mint and anchovies had a unique and delicious combination of flavors. Also tasty was the charred broccolini vegetables. The servicer was not up to par, trying several times to get my wife to order when we had just received our cocktails and were engaged in conversation. Later she removed our drinks and appetizer plates without asking and we were not finished. The restaurant is also quite noisy and hectic feeling, especially near the bar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic Dinnerpauly34Dined on 9/4/2014The bite size bar menu was great. We had several dishes and one was better than the other. The crab risotto appetizer had lots of crab and the rice was cooked perfectly. The halibut and chicken tarragon entrees were delicious. Our waiter, Stephen, could not have made the experience any better. We will be going back the next time we are in the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentXgf1Dined on 9/3/2014Excellent restaurant, the food is awesome. And the price is perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Be careful, it can get expeezyOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 9/3/2014Don't take a friend that likes to drink. The Bar menu will keep you there for longer than you anticipate, opening up the opportunity for additional rounds of drinks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JoefishmashDined on 9/3/2014Bobby Flay has done it again. First time here but definitely will return. Food and service were outstanding. Busy but never rushed. An energetic and pleasant environment. Bobby Flay was there on this Wednesday evening working the kitchen and the crowd. That's one reason for his success.Special Features:
- Food was incredibleLauraDined on 9/2/2014Mushroom ricotta and eggplant appetizers were absolutely amazing. Also loved the broccoli and the kale and artichoke paella. Some of the best food I've ever had!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BEST MEAL OF MY LIFE!ShaekingDined on 9/2/2014Bobby! Bobby! Bobby! Are you kidding me? This is all I kept saying after every bite I put in my mouth on Monday evening. Every single thing we ordered and I ate was the most incredible thing I have eaten. I cannot wait to get back into this spot and eat here again and again. Oh and our waiter COREY was the most amazing waiter I have ever had in NYC. best experience, best food, best wine, best dessert and beautiful decor! wow!!!!Special Features:
- Excellent food and experienceLuvgreatfood12VIPDined on 9/2/2014Bobby Flay delivering again at the level that made him famous. A wonderful find with very intense flavors and great care in each dish including the side vegetables! CongratsSpecial Features:
- GatomnbnycVIPDined on 9/2/2014This is definitely a real 'hot spot'. There is no doubt Flay has the formula in both food and service. It might be hard to get a reservation and there is a reason for that which is not the usual one of celebrity spotting but actually because the food is really good. How they manage to make the octopus so tender and tasty I don't know but I would like to. The vegetable side dishes are almost entrees on their own and definitely worth ordering if the appetite will take them. The mostly Spanish wine list is good if a bit pricey.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- VibrantOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 9/1/2014Bobby Flay lives up to expectations with delicious food with flavors that pop. Combinations may sound complicated but always work. Staff was very welcoming and service was excellent.Special Features:
- AMAZING !!Foodie7387Dined on 8/31/2014Will be visiting again soon. Kale paella is a must !!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MalinaDined on 8/31/2014I enjoyed my experience at Gato. The service was very good and the food as well. The flavours were complex and so rich, overall it was quite delicious although on the salty side.Special Features: