324 Lafayette Street
New York, NY 10012Neighborhood:
MediterraneanPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.gatonyc.com/
- Phone: (212) 334-6400
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Saturday Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm
Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mediterranean
- Executive Chef: Bobby Flay
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Gato
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerMediterranean
Gato - Best Restaurants in NoLita ›
Gato reviews from OpenTable diners
624 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (490)hot spot (416)vibrant bar scene (258)special occasion (238)good for groups (212)neighborhood gem (190)notable wine list (116)romantic (109)late-night find (58)great for brunch (16)great for lunch (16)kid-friendly (7)scenic view (7)great for outdoor dining (5)Show More
- Well done Bobby FlayJoeMDined on 11/25/2014Not a whole lot to say here other than this was a phenomenal meal and Gato is by far my favorite Bobby Flay restaurant I've been to. The bar snacks were all phenomenal (especially the Chorizo and 11-layer potato), I can't wait to come back and try the rest. The kale paella was incredible and unlike nothing I've ever tasted. The only reason I didn't give the food 5 stars is because of the duck confit. It was good don't get me wrong but nothing special at all and was the low light of the meal which is always disappointing for an entree. Can't wait to come back here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NYCFamilyVIPDined on 11/24/2014We are big fans of Bobby Flay but Gato misses on the primary food element. At Bar Americain, there is always a consistency and the food has distinctive flavors. I found the food at Gato to be ordinary in comparison. The risotto had little flavor and the pork chop was nestled on a bed of oily polenta. The chicken was uneventful. The food was passable but I have had better at diners. The bar scene was active and energetic and the service was great but the restaurant needs more differentiation. There are too many other good restaurants to choose from and the brightness will tarnish if changes aren't made.
- Food was incredible!ElaineVIPDined on 11/23/2014I felt like I was on iron chef! I food was all very interesting and flavorful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not up to its reputationOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/18/2014I had heard rave reviews about Gato so finally decided to try to get in on a Tuesday night. Who knows if Bobby Flay was there but it made no difference in the quality of the food. It was average to say the least. I am from the Mediterranean and was expecting to see bold flavors and freshness. Neither was there. From the app to the desert they were all lackluster. Had the octopus which was fine, the crab risotto which was not good at all and totally over-spiced, the cauliflower( a favorite of mine from the med ) which was bland with paprika and jalepeno that both tasted old, charred beef that was subpar for its $37 cost, and a desert of chocolate hazelnut pudding of sort that was cold and bland ..We were hungry and did not finish any of the dishes....that says everything! Such a disappointment.Special Features:
- So worth a visit!RusseaterVIPDined on 11/17/2014Outstanding, hip restaurant with great food. Terrific bar, packed with people even at 10pm. Bobby Flay didn't just design the menu. He was onsite, orchestrating the night we were there, and it is a well-oiled machine. Every dish was packed with flavor and interest.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NomieVIPDined on 11/15/2014All the food was very good but the timing needs a little work. Our bar snacks (anchovies, burratta, brandade ) came out after our appetizers (gato salad, crab risotto) and then our bread was taken away since we were mistakenly thought to have finished our meal and were brought a dessert with a candle in it (belonged to the couple next to us). Our entrees did finally arrive (chicken and orata), as did more bread, but the chicken was lacking a little zing, the fish was great. Also, even though our waiter asked if we had any questions, he seemed annoyed that we did. And further annoyed when we asked if there had been some mistake in ordering because of the appetizers coming out way before the bar snacks, he was not pleased that we were disappointed about the timing. This is a very busy place and the cement floor, brick walls and high ceilings do nothing to help buffer the loud din of a crowded and bustling restaurant. Conversation is a struggle without raising your voice or straining to hear. We have always been fans of Bobby Flays cooking but perhaps if we return, it would be for a drink at the bar and a quick bite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- overly aggressively seasoned w/ salt & sugarCamilleVIPDined on 11/15/2014we agreed that this is our last time eat here. there are a few good dishes like charred beef, but most of them are extremely over-seasoned. We love seasoned food, but Califlower are way too sweet and salty. pasta is too salty and heavy. We commented it the first time, nothing has changed. each time we ended up so thirsty after dinner. Now I can't even eat them. Nicely seasoned food is great, but not overly aggressively heavily seasoned with salt and sugar. I doubt that the cook ever taste their food. huge disappointment. we came only because we see a movie nearby afterwards. Now we have to find another place. Our friends came too, and they don't like them either.
- What an experience!ClarissaVIPDined on 11/14/2014food was fantastic. Wait staff couldn't have been nicer. Everything was perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great find!AJLSDined on 11/14/2014Excellent food, expertly prepared. Highly recommend the chart beef, vegetable Pamela, lamb tenderloin, pumpkin arancini and crab risotto.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food and space.TrishaSardesai1978Dined on 11/14/2014I think this is one of the best meals i Have had. Every bite was perfection. The staff was friendly, unlike upscale NYC hotels and resto's and the space is beautiful. I would highly recommend it. I think the menu is well thought out and the presentation and excellence of each and every bite is perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- You need to eat here!FiziklyfitDined on 11/13/2014Unbelievable food done simply, not a lot of sauces, or fancy plating. Just super tasting fresh ingredients making for a memorable meal. The restaurant is beautifully stylish and industrial.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really great food, cool experienceElleVIPDined on 11/13/2014We loved the food - highly recommend the eggplant and the scrambled eggs (they are not any kind of scrambled egg you can imagine) brussel sprouts were amazing! We started with three tiny dishes off the bar menu and then had a salad and three appetizers. Hostess was lovely, our waiter was fine. We were disappointed by our seating - a table for two near the bar. I sat right in the foot traffic and practically in at the bar. Must request seating closer to the dining room.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- If you want BOLD flavors, this is the placeEastSideDJVIPDined on 11/12/2014Took my wife for her bday dinner and it did not disappoint. We ordered the bar apps which are tiny 2 bite dishes, incredible. we ordered the pork chop and paella, absolutely amazing. The sides were ok, we got the crispy potatoes and the brussel sprouts, a tad bit salty and totally over powered the main dishes. For dessert we got the cheese cake which was great and light, and the apple tart which tasted like burnt alcohol. I know they added calvados but someone just burnt the heck out of it. Overall a great night, we def want to go back and try more things from the menu. The wait staff was on point, super attentive and made great recommendations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great savory food!sanjVIPDined on 11/10/2014While we had to wait 30 minutes to get seated for reserved table, once seated the service was attentive and very good. Food was delicious.Special Features:
- Gato is GoodoAskUncleDaveDined on 11/10/2014We had a very nice meal here last Monday night and even met Bobby Flay who was working the crowd. A small and varied menu will please most of his fans. Nice but not large portions original and tasty. We liked the scrambled eggs appetizer and the beef dish. The menu changes frequently I believeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- INCREDIBLE!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/10/2014We were there to celebrate a 40th birthday. The food was spectacular, the service was beyond fantastic, and the decor was rustic and sophisticated at the same time. Bobby Flay is a genius. We ordered the lamb tenderloin, potato gratin, eggplant, and tuna sashimi in poblano pepper from the bar bites; the duck confit, kale paella, and porterhouse pork chops for entrees, the crispy potatoes and cauliflower for sides, and the brown butter cake for dessert. The wine list has great options...we chose the Roar pinot. Everything had Bobby Flay branding on it...from the incredible flavors in each dish to the impeccable service. Bobby has employed a terrific team from start to finish...a MUST TRY!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful place.sugarcoutureDined on 11/9/2014Loved it. Great cocktails, outstanding service by the charming Derick, and fantastic, beautiful food. Shame we couldn't try more.Special Features:
- HIT AND MISSTobyVIPDined on 11/9/2014Third time dining here. Tonight was very disappointing. The pizza was excessively charred. The briussl sprouts were burnt to the point of almost being inedible.Scrambled eggs has no taste whatsoever, probably the result of not enough salt. Cocktails filled only half the glass at $14.00. Where was Bobby? Certainly not in the kitchen!
- Simply DeliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/9/2014We enjoyed a truly wonderful meal here this past weekend. Great atmosphere, amazing food, and excellent service. Met all of my expectations and more. Will be recommending this place to others and would definitely be sure to return on our next trip to the city.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Each Dish DistinctiveSPLGMTDined on 11/9/2014We took my daughter to Gato to celebrate her new job and belated Birthday. Good cocktail selection, subtle, and refreshing. We loved each dish ordered, discovering wonderful blends of spices, and unique combinations. Our waiter offered his strong opinions, steering us in the right direction. Would definitely go back and recommend to friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, great ambienceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/8/2014This was my first time dining at Gato and it was fantastic. The decor is beautiful, very lively, trendy scene and the food was to die for.Special Features:
- Safe for those with CeliacKTINNYCDined on 11/8/2014I have Celiac disease and the server was great! He spoke to the chief and worked to make everything special for me, including shared appetizers. I would highly recommend the food and wine too! Great place, I will return next time I am in NY.Special Features:
- Heaven!PortugueseFoodie47Dined on 11/8/2014Bobby Flay has outdone himself again! My husband and I started with the bar appetizer (pick 3) the chorizo was absolutely delicious! We also ordered the grilled octopus appetizer and it was done to perfection, moist and full of flavor. For dinner my husband ordered the pork chop with polenta and I ordered the halibut, outstanding!! The one thing that put us in "Food Heaven" was the home fries with egg over easy side dish. No words can describe this dish.. It was everything we expected and more!!Special Features:
- Delight your sensesTeacupsugarqueenDined on 11/8/2014From the lovely greeting at the door to high soft lit ceilings this is a tasters delight! Try the bar appetizers because a selection of three for one price is a bargain ! Feels like being at the judges table for iron chef! Perfect sized portions leave room for many appetizer selections. Pailla and octopus terrific. Not a fan of the chocolate dessert, but the apple was incredible. Enjoy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- shoeVIPDined on 11/7/2014The pick 3 bar food appetizers are a great way to start out the meal.Special Features:
- Loved Gato!whitVIPDined on 11/7/2014We dined here with another couple this past Friday evening. We had excellent service ... our waiter was very attentive and very knowledgeable on the menu and honest about what to order/portion size for our group. Loved the octopus, lamb pizza, and my delicious pork chop!! We also had an excellent apple dessert. Really great spot. A bit expensive when we got the bill, but overall we loved itSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful food & dining experienceAmandaMattJDined on 11/7/2014My husband and I went to Gato for a special occasion and enjoyed every course from the drinks, salad, charred beef, amazing apple tart and dessert wine. Service was outstanding and we would highly recommend dining at Gato! Location was good because it is close to many subway entrances/stops.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth the waitLuv2eatVIPDined on 11/6/2014As I had entertained at MESA Grill several times a month, I was looking forward to GATO. It did not disappoint. The food and service were fabulous!Special Features:
- Flay Experiment is a TreatTonyVIPDined on 11/5/2014Everything about this menu is exciting -- the flavors, the ingredients, the spice. This is Bobby Flay's grand experiment in cooking -- very different that what was happing in his kitchen 15 years ago. The restaurant is simple. It looks almost like a grange. The food for some will be too much. Everything was spicy, and every dish I tried different. However, for the more adventurous foodie, this indeed if a place to put on your short list. I know I will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too saltyNtistDined on 11/4/2014All dishes were overly salty, overly spiced - even the desserts were were overly sweet.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 11/4/2014Great space, helpful wait staff, wonderful food. Definitely shows a different side of Bobby Flay from his other restaurantsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gato purrschasing2daughtersDined on 11/4/2014great new restaurant from 2 pros. Gato serves slightly innovative but very approachable food with the key being that you can truly taste EVERY flavor that the chef was using in every bite. Beautiful space with high energy that doesn't inhibit conversation. Service was terrific. We had 3 courses each and the waitress brought 2 options for wines by the glass for each course without needing to ask. A real gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 5 STAR!joB31Dined on 11/3/2014What a spectacular dining experience. The kale paella unbelievable! My friends had the duck confit and the halibut, both extraordinary. Anyone who loves food will be in for a treat when dining at GATO. We had a bottle of Rioja given the 3 different dishes and it was just right. It was smooth and light. The trio of gelato for dessert-- perfection. Bravo, GATO!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- norinoriDined on 11/3/2014I like the Gato a lot, but most of the dishes are very very salty. I did not like those black toylets bowl, it's was mess!Special Features:
- Enjoyable EveningGrtFoodisHVNDined on 11/3/2014Restaurant ambience is warm and calming. Tables are not crunched together, lighting is perfect, music is at a level where conversation is possible. Appetizers ordered: roasted octopus, excellent (wish portion was larger); scrambled eggs, luscious (need a few more toasts); crab risotto, so flavorful. Entrees ordered: kale and mushroom paella (a bit too salty); saffron linguini, very rich but so yummy; orata, fish cooked to perfection, sauces nuanced and flavorful; brussels with pomegranate, a winner. Only drank sparking water, so no comment on wine/cocktails Our waiters were fantastic. Service was very impressive. No attitude at all. Wonderful evening.Special Features:
- daughter's birthdaytopnotcheveDined on 11/3/2014Gato is on my list of favorable restaurants. I would highly recommend this place to my friends and relatives. The Food was really good, specially the Pizza for an appetizer and Duck as an entree. What is also important the service was really prompt and efficient. We had a dinner for my daughter's birthday on Monday night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Foodie HeavenMinnieVIPDined on 11/3/2014Fantastic combination of flavors for everything we ordered. Wine list by the glass leaves alot to be desired. Service was attentive and maybe a bit rushed. Don't come here to linger. Starters were exceptional. Overall a great place to eatSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Does not live up to hypeWinnipegDined on 11/2/2014I expected much, much more from the latest by Bobby Flay. Food was fine, but nothing at all to get excited about, and portions quite small. Only thing that was good rather than fine was the octopus appetizer. Disappointing overall.Special Features:
- Excellent, and beyondOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/2/2014This entire dinner was sublime - food was astonishing and delicious, service incredible, beautiful restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The perfect small-plates meal.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/2/2014We came to Gato to order lots of their small tapas plates, and every single one was delicious! Well seasoned, maybe a little on the salty side, but truly unique and yummy food. The restaurant is also gorgeous, and the waists unbelievably attentive. A must-go-to restaurant in Soho for sure!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.