324 Lafayette Street
New York, NY 10012Neighborhood:
MediterraneanPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.gatonyc.com/
- Phone: 212-334-6400x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Saturday Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm
Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mediterranean
- Executive Chef: Bobby Flay
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Gato
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerMediterranean
Gato - Best Restaurants in NoLita ›
Gato reviews from OpenTable diners
611 reviews since June 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (470)hot spot (393)special occasion (262)vibrant bar scene (240)good for groups (196)neighborhood gem (192)romantic (115)notable wine list (110)late-night find (55)great for lunch (15)great for brunch (14)kid-friendly (5)scenic view (5)great for outdoor dining (4)Show More
- ExcellentNachomrDined on 10/18/2014All dishes that we tried were amazing. The kale paella is a must. Quality ingredients and excellent execution. Loved the cream sherry and walnut cake for dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome hot spotOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/17/2014Awesome hot spot! Great ambience and decor. Our server, Kory, was extremely well versed on the menu and made great recommendations. The Bar menu had extremely small portions as our server noted, but the eggplant and pumpkin arancini were amazing regardless! The crab risotto was lacking orginiality and I wouldn't order it again. The kale paella, duck confit, octopus, and scrambled egg dishes were a must have. We ordered the apple cranberry tartin and the espresso bread pudding for dessert. We were extremely disappointed with both. The bread pudding was actually tiramisu, not what you'd envision as bread pudding at all and it wasn't even served warm. The tartine was fair, but something you could get at a Panera Bread. Great place in all!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- California Flay FanlametsfanVIPDined on 10/17/2014The latest Bobby Flay success is indeed a winner. From unique bar foods, appetizers with over the top flavors ( who knew scrambled eggs could taste sooo amazing) to creatively crafted entrees, Gato is one dining experience not to be missed. And the wines and specialty drinks are fabulous as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/17/2014Every bite is better than the next. Every dish is incredible!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 10/16/2014I was most Impressed with the service at this restaurant. The waiter described each dish in detail, his face showed that he loved the food and he clearly enjoyed working there. Each dish we had was amazing. The portion sizes were very good .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Average, at bestOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/15/2014Food was ordinary and service was with a smirk, not a smile. Dishes were over seasoned.Special Features:
- Good Food, Underwhelming ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/13/2014If there’s one thing I can’t stand, it’s a bad meal on vacation. So I do my research and hope for the best. Unfortunately, Gato fell short of my expectations in more ways then one. First of all, we waited over 10 minutes before our server greeted us and took our drink order. When he did it was without apology for the wait or a welcome to the restaurant, just simply "Hey, what can I get you guys?" The food itself was good (if a bit salty) but compared to other restaurants we tried on this trip I'd say it was overpriced both in terms of quality and quantity. I will try somewhere else on my next trip to New York City.
- Food was even better than expectedHcl10VIPDined on 10/13/2014Wow, you hear rave reviews about a new hot spot but the food here was sensational (I don't always feel that way). I like my food seasoned well, which it was, so if you're picky on salt or pepper you may disagree. My only disappointment was that I made this reservation weeks in advance for a birthday date and we were sat in the first table near the bar, which wasn't my expectation and didn't give us any view of the space. But getting up and looking around the restaurant it appears they only have 2-tops near the bar, oh well. I felt a little hidden away (not in a good way). But again, food was great! Definitely try the bar appetizers, they will be worth it. I had the kale/mushroom paella, amazing! The bar was jammed on a Monday evening.Special Features:
- Everything was wonderfulmeganDined on 10/13/2014Food and service is always amazing here. Would come more often if i didn't have to make reservations so far in advanceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GATO GOLOVETODINENYCDined on 10/13/2014FROM THE VERY WELCOMING HOSTESS AT THE DOOR TO THE FINAL SIP OF CAPPUCINO THE MEAL FELT LIKE A SPECIAL OCCASION. AS TYPICAL OF BOBBY FLAY ( EVEN THOUGH HE WASN'T THERE AND FROM WHAT WE WERE GIVEN TO UNDERSTAND, HE RARELY IS) THE FOOD WAS FULL OF UMAMI FLAVOR AND APPETIZINGLY PRESENTED. ALL AGREED THE APPETIZER OF 3 SPREADS WAS A DELICIOUS WAY TO START THE MEAL ALONG WITH OUR WINE. THE FILET, ORRATA AND PORK CHOP WERE ALL EXCELLENT. A PLEASURE TO BE SERVED BY A WELL SCHOOLED STAFF. EACH ONE OF US THOUGHT HIS DISH WAS THE BEST. CAN'T WAIT TO GO BACK TO TRY MORE OF THE MENU WHENEVER WE CAN GET A RESERVATION.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bobby Flay Does It Again!diniVIPDined on 10/13/2014As someone who was heartbroken when Mesa Grill closed, I am thrilled that Gato has arrived to fill the void. This East Village/NoLita Mediterranean eatery gets everything right: from the warm welcome at the door to the knowledgeable servers, excellent wine list, fabulous pizzas, sublime locavore veggies, and outstanding small plates and main courses, nothing is amiss. Bobby Flay hits this one out of the park...so, just go!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GREAT RESTAURANTDebDebDined on 10/12/2014loved the food, the drinks, appetizer, dessert, everything was fabulous. the environment was great, all top notch!Special Features:
- HungryDined on 10/11/2014Great service and food a little issue with reservation and table but hostess went out of her way to correct the problem ended up being a great eveningSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Adg2159Dined on 10/11/2014I've been looking forward to visiting Gato since it first got buzz in the NYT. It did not disappoint! We ordered the Sanchez cocktail to start & they were a hit. Then we selected from the "choose 3" appetizer list. We selected the pumpkin arancini, artichoke heart, and lamb tenderloin. The flavor from these small sampler dishes was exceptional, however it should be said that they were very small even to just share among 2. For the mains I had the orata, my sister had the kale and mushroom paella and we shared the glazed carrots and crispy potatoes. Everything was bursting with flavor, and I savored every bite. The crispy potatoes deserved special shout out, unlike any I'd had anywhere else which is hard to say for potatoes!Special Features:
- Favourite dinner of the tripDelishDined on 10/9/2014Perfect! Food was sooooo sooooo good. Service excellent. Ambiance was really great. Best dinner of our most recent NY trip. Order the Kale & Wild Mushroom Paella, Red Prawns, White Chicory Salad & the Burrata. All amazing! Good, real food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb!SmarmiteDined on 10/9/2014Was visiting from the UK and came for a special occasion as my girlfriend is a fan of Bobby Flay. The first thing that hits you when you walk in is the cool vibe of the place - contemporary/industrial decor but with soft lighting giving it a cool edge. Was really impressed with the efficiency of the staff throughout - attentive without being overbearing. Food was simple with punchy flavours and my girlfriend's gluten-free diet was amply catered for. They even provided gluten-free bread which they kept topped up. It was quite noisy but we liked that as it just added to the "New York" experience. On the whole, it was one of our best meals during our trip and we would love to return.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/8/2014Arrived for a 7:30 reservation on a Wednesday evening, and the front desk was out of control. After a 30 minute wait (along with numerous other groups who were also waiting for their tables despite reservations) we ultimately were seated at a table near the kitchen in the bar. As you might expect, the noise level made conversation difficult but possible. Our server was curt but efficient, and seemed stretched. (If you didn't know exactly what you wanted when he showed up, you were out of luck.) The food was excellent, though, well presented, and arrived without delay. The place felt like it had just opened and hadn't gotten the kinks out, even though it has been up and running for several months.Special Features:
- Great vibe AND delicious!IloveNewYorkDined on 10/7/2014Have been there for several times now, and everytime i go i go with different type of friends and it is ALWAYS. A great choice! Never dissapoint me :) I was lucky enough last time i we t I even got to shake hands with Bobby Flay, as he was there walking in and out from the kitchen :)) Food is great, service is great, not the biggest portions, but what the heck!.. It taste so good that is great to get the chance to try different dishes LOVE IT!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceptional food and servicetiachiaDined on 10/7/2014Every bite was delicious, and the wait staff was friendly and attentive. The restaurant was admittedly quite loud, but it didn't detract from the excellent food.Special Features:
- great food but service is slowJonthanDined on 10/6/2014The food is great but the service is slow a.nd the place is a bit noisySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Most enjoyablemargiemcDined on 10/6/2014We had a great time here and the food was very interesting. There were many flavors involved and the presentation was fantastic. Service was very good and he was most knowledgable about the foods and the preparation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and a vibrant energyGaryDined on 10/5/2014Had a great time sining at Gato Sunday night. I'd heard it got a little loud in the restaurant so I picked a Sunday evening to go hoping it wouldnt be as busy. I was quite right. The food was quite delicious and our waiter was very attentive and helpful in ordering food and wine. I highy recommend this restaurant. I do imagine it could get quite loud when the restaurant is packed tho. I would almost suggest some sound clouds to eat up some of the noise that voices off the tile floors...which were quite beautifulSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food not so great serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/5/2014The food was good. It was not amazing but delicious and I would go back. Our reservation was for 10 pm (all we could get) and the waiter and other staff really rushed service. The other service note would be to have a friendly demeanor when dealing with customers instead of being aloof..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bobby Flay does not disappoint!BrianCDined on 10/5/2014We have been trying to get a reservation here for a while. The popular times were booked solid for weeks, so when I finally got a reservation, we were super excited. The place has a great feel to it and the atmosphere is very inviting. As we were a bit early, we had a drink at the bar first. The hostess and bartender were super nice and very attentive. This continued throughout the evening when we sat down for dinner. The waiter was superb, the food was outstanding! Great overall experience.Special Features:
- Disappointing Experiencelasinnyc01VIPDined on 10/5/2014I had hoped for the best, I'm a huge Bobby Flay fan. I have his books, watch his shows, dined at Bolo and Mesa Grill for years and always enjoyed every thing. The place is gorgeous, the food is delicious. However, it's extremely loud and on Sunday night there was either a problem with the waiter or the kitchen, but we waited a little over an hour for our appetizers. The "bar" choices, which they have listed on the menu came out after the appetizers. The portions overall were teeny-tiny. But the main issue was the poor service.Special Features:
- A must!WeinndineVIPDined on 10/5/2014Loved the food, ambiance and service. Everything was professional. Only negative was that it's very hard to get a reservation. We went on a Sunday at 5:45. Gato was buzzing even then.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good, but could be better.AnnieL67Dined on 10/4/2014Wonderful ambience (other than the noise level), excellent service, food was very good, particularly the halibut, with the exception of the over salting of the paella (with woody artichokes that were basically not edible). We'd return and try other items on the menu, possibly sit at the bar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Absolutely Amazing!ClaireDined on 10/4/2014You must dine here when in NYC! So many good choices in the City, but this is at the very top of the list. Incredible, explosive, intense flavor combinations make this restaurant exceptional.Special Features:
- Not for vegetarians/vegansVeggedOutDined on 10/4/2014Sadly, I had a disappointing experience at Gato. We were seated immediately upon arrival by a very friendly hostess & the aesthetic of the place is lovely, but from there it went all down hill. The seating for two is terribly cramped. I reviewed the menu ahead of time & thought I'd be able to order the Kale and Mushroom Paella. However, I was told by our abrupt server that having the paella without mushrooms (I'm allergic) is impossible because its made w/mushroom stock. Beyond that, there really wasn't anything I could order as a vegan celiac & our server conveyed there was no deviating from the heavily carnivorous menu. We ordered overly priced but very good appetizers, paid the bill and left.Special Features:
- Raw chickenLuvtoeatDined on 10/3/2014For a restaurant of this caliber, I would have expected chicken to be fully cooked. The chicken was so raw that there was blood on the plate. Although they were apologetic, they did not offer us anything complimentary or a reduction in our bill considering you can kill someone with raw chicken. Also, it took so long to remake the chicken that I was done with my food by the time remade dish came for my friend. I'm sorry I will never go back. The server was very nice, but to have to pay full price for raw poultry is sad.Special Features:
- Love Chef Flay's FoodMidwestCookandGardenerDined on 10/3/2014Despite a few kinks in this new restaurant, we'll definitely be back. Water and drinks were slow in coming, and then our salads/first course arrived while we were still enjoying beautiful and delicious appetizers from the "Bar" menu. Salads were fine, except for an over-cooked poached egg on the frisee, but the the crab risotto was slightly undercooked. Happily, our entrees were spot-on. The halibut was simply magnificent! Its tomato-saffron sauce was so beautifully layered, finishing with the anticipated Flay heat, that fellow diners kept dipping in their spoons. Other entrees also featured complex flavors, although the charred steak was grilled a bit over. Sadly, the visually beautiful apple tatin was marred by a burned caramel sauce.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bobby Flay does it rightfoodie4lifeDined on 10/2/2014Everything to the service to the food to the decor and ambience, the restaurant sets itself above the rest. Bobby was kind enough to take a picture with our group and his genuine personality comes out in his food as he really cares about the details of the food. It's a welcoming environmentSpecial Features:
- the food is good work on serviceablegramVIPDined on 9/30/2014We showed up 5minutes early for our reservation . I was told that there would be a short wait. My dinner companion wanted to dine here. We waited almost 40 minutes to be seated (while people who came in after us were seated ahead of us) this did not put me in a good frame of mind. once seated we must have had the worst seat in the house I felt as if I was in the dishwashing area and several employees gathered around our table to chat with each other this did not improve my state of mind. it took another 30 minutes to receive our appetizers and start our meal. The food was good. the roasted octopus, the lamb tenderloin, artichoke heart, and the eggplant were all excellent and I highly recommend them. the pork chop was also very good.Special Features:
- dissappointed Birthday DinnermarcoDined on 9/30/2014Arrived on time sharp 7:45 P.M. because the celebration of my wife birthday only to encounter that our table was not ready we waited for 23 minutes I was counting the time because of the special occasion, service was fine, food overall from 1 to 10 I would give 7, The gave us a table for two close to the bar which bother me a lot because every time a server was passing by the only thing I heard all night was excuse me, sorry, come on, I could not enjoy mi dinner at all,Special Features:
- Great experience!YummyVIPDined on 9/30/2014It's rare I'm blown away by a meal anymore in New York! Sad, but true. Gato was quite a surprise! Everything we had was delicious. The small plates including the lamb, the layered potato, the tuna.. To name a few. The spreads were delicious as was the octopus and the crab risotto. The cheesecake to die for and the crostata perfect. To top it off the server was amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Honeymooners delightnicarlasDined on 9/30/2014Had an amazing time at Gato on our Honeymoon in NYC. Our first real taste of a classy New York restaurant and it didn't disappoint. Our waiter, Corey, was extremely attentive, knowledgeable about the menu and really friendly. The food was clever, delicious and good portions for the price. The beers were great and gave a very modern feel to the place. We were goven complimentary dessert wine and a candle to honour our honeymoon - a really nice touch! It was the best restaurant experience we've ever had!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gato is as Gato doesAnnachef1Dined on 9/29/2014Ridiculously zesty and satisfying. Nice space. Knowledgable and at the ready waiters. Non pretentious food (thank goodness) All around nice experience,which seems to be rare these days...Bobby knows his gameSpecial Features:
- Delicious!DallasLKNDined on 9/28/2014We dined on a late Sunday night. Started the evening with the pick 3 option under "bar." We had the razor clams, yellowtail, and beef crudo. Everything was delicious. Our favorite was the razor clams. We then had the grilled octopus, followed by the steamed halibut. We would definitely come back.Special Features:
- New bobby flay fan!BonvivantDined on 9/28/2014Our waiter Derek was so informative, made great suggestions, funny. In fact all staff excellent, I'm not a bobby flay fan but the food was great! Try the octopus! To die for!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Satisfied taste budsYumminessDined on 9/27/2014With the simple and to the point menu selection, you're not gonna be overehelmed with selections. I ordered the shrimp for appetizer abd porkchop for entree, both selections really packed with flavor; well seasoned and finely cookedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.