2200 Oxford Street
Berkeley, CA 94704Neighborhood:
CalifornianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.gatherrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 5108090400
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: 5:00 - 10:00 pm every evening
Weekday Lunch: 11:30 am - 2:00 pm Monday through Friday
Weekend Brunch: 10 am - 2:30 pm Saturday and Sunday
Reservations accepted for Lunch, Brunch and Dinner.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Organic, American, Californian
- Executive Chef: Sean Baker
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: The first organic catering company in the country:
We cater for groups of up to 250 people in the David Brower Center in Downtown Berkeley.
We cater off-site groups upon request, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org to inquire.
- Private Party Facilities: Please call for details.
- Private Party Contact: Ask for a manager 5108090400
- Special Events: Parties of 7-12 may book 1st seating and 2nd seating tables by phone. Groups of 12 to 18 may arrange seasonal prix fixe menus a week or more in advance, Sunday-Wednesday only. E-mail email@example.com with your party size, preferences and budget.
- Cross Street: Allston Way
- Public Transit: Downtown Berkeley BART (1 block away!)
AC Transit to Downtown Berkeley
Ample bicycle parking
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: There is a garage in the building ($4 nighttime, entrance at 2161 Kittredge) and 3 other nearby public lots including the garage at Zellerbach Hall
A word from Gather
• Utilizing techniques inspired by classic culinary craftsmanship, Gather in downtown Berkeley features organic local produce, pizzas, sustainable seafood, and humanely-raised meats that showcase the uniquely abundant environment of Northern California- with 50% vegetarian offerings. A totally organic cocktail list, innovative desserts, and an affordable wine list crafted by national award winner Christie Dufault are served up in a warm ambiance informed by honey hued reclaimed woods literally “gathered” from the surrounding area. Directly across from the UC campus, it is conveniently located in the very green David Brower Center; 5 minutes from Zellerbach Hall and Berkeley Rep.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Gather - Best Restaurants in Berkeley ›
Gather reviews from OpenTable diners
288 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (204)neighborhood gem (105)special occasion (88)great for lunch (72)great for brunch (59)great for outdoor dining (53)good for groups (48)hot spot (32)romantic (26)kid-friendly (24)notable wine list (14)vibrant bar scene (10)scenic view (7)late-night find (5)Show More
- great vibe & service food hit/missOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/12/2014The title says it all. 50 characters is silly.........Special Features:
- GATHER a laid back sophisticatecjtfoodVIPDined on 9/11/2014Sophisticated but laid back food & ambiance. Deliciously interesting food combinations although dessert cakes can be uneven...try the chocolate budino instead. Nice wine and cocktails. Has become a Berkeley mainstay for foodies.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OverratedGlobaldinerDined on 9/11/2014Had a pushy waiter who couldn't read nonverbal communication and constantly interrupted us during serious conversation. Felt the pressure he wanted to turn the table although we were only there from 5:30-7:00. Roasted chicken wasn't good and overpriced. Disappointing.
- who eats this stuff?manyeatsDined on 9/6/2014much better restaurants around. barely edible food. pizzas are decent
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/3/2014It's expensive for the very casual atmosphere. The server was not friendly or engaging. The chairs were uncomfortable hard wood. The food was good but not sure I would go back due to the atmosphere.Special Features:
- Tasty Pulled Pork Sandwich36snackyDined on 9/3/2014My friend and I split a pulled pork sandwich which was plenty for both of us with the addition of wine and the carrot cake dessert. We loved the pork - it had remarkable depth of flavor. The only reason I'm not giving the restaurant a five star is that the chairs are somewhat uncomfortable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent foodMaatkareVIPDined on 9/1/2014The last two times I've been to Gather, I've been impressed by the excellence of the food. One time, I had an exquisite soup and on last visit a wonderful eggplant dish with chermouly. I realize both these are appetizers. Main courses have been good as well. Dessert menu was a little sparse -- nothing with fruit, as I recall. The chocolate budin that I settled for was disappointing.Special Features:
- OakfoodieOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/1/2014Gather consistently creates wonderful food. As a huge carnivore, I even love this place! Everything we've ordered in past visits have been delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/30/2014great chicken great chicken, good kale salad halibut was quite goodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good foodOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/27/2014Our server might be new because he couldn't really describe the dishes to us. We ordered the half chicken, forbidden black rice and eggplant. There were delicious.Special Features:
- overpriced for the qualitysanfranciscensDined on 8/27/2014Best to go somewhere else -- for entrees in this price range, you can eat at an incredible restaurant with a Michelin star. Gather is really just an overdone campus eatery.
- A story of taste...ZazieDined on 8/27/2014This is one of my new favorite spots in Berkeley with Belli Osteria. Our server was very knowledgeable and attentive. Everything was good but my best part was the dessert: seeded shortbread with pearls of Jasmine, marinated strawberry, shaved plum and a scoop of coconut/basil ice cream. We will be back!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not quite rightOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/25/2014We took our new to UC student there for an early birthday dinner because we had been there for a brunch and it was close to campus. Thank goodness the limited menu included a yummy burger for the young man.Special Features:
- JonoDined on 8/24/2014Enjoyable atmosphere and well crafted sustainable fare!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Highlight of our Berkeley tripOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/24/2014We read the reviews which led us to believe we had to try out Gather. That was an understatement! We were literally blown away by our entire dining experience. My boyfriend is an Executive Chef of a restaurant in the San Diego area and gave every single thing we ate a 10 out of 10. We started with the soup, which was one of our favorites, with the beans and the veggies, and the delicious walnut olive oil on top. The salad was really unique and pleasantly tasty with the hint of dill. Really good and everything was so fresh and executed beautifully. We really enjoyed the pork belly poached egg dish. Our favorite dish was the pizza with bleu cheese and figs. So interesting, different, yet fantastic and definitely provided fireworks!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- All organic but very priceyLadyTexanDined on 8/24/2014All organic food presented artistically but very pricey, lacking in taste overall.Special Features:
- Sweet Gathering Place!YingMeiVIPDined on 8/22/2014Love this place: meeting folks from the UCB crowd. Service and food -good, consistent, thoughtful. Wish that the noise level can be reduced, by putting several rugs around, either on the floor or walls or some acoustic modifications.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simple weekday lunchhappymontyeatsDined on 8/22/2014I had a simple weekday lunch at 11:30 AM so it wasn't too crowded. I ordered the kale salad and a bean/vegetable soup. The soup was a tad on the salty side but otherwise, everything was delicious and nice prepared. The staff was very friendly and helpful. For lunch, there were not many gluten free options for entrees but I was quite content with my soup and salad combination.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistent and delicious foodMadeleinetpVIPDined on 8/20/2014It is always a pleasure to go to Gather. The ride from San Francisco is easy and it is well worth going there for their delicious, original dishes.Special Features:
- delicious foodchookladyDined on 8/18/2014We had a very nice meal at Gather to celebrate our wedding anniversary. So sweet of them to bring us complimentary glasses of bubbly. We ordered a number of dishes so we could taste as much as possible. The wait staff was very helpful with our various dietary restrictions. The food was exquisite. The service friendly and well organized. although the noise level is fairly loud there (in the contemporary style), we were able to converse comfortably.Special Features:
- Tapas and Taste of Tamalpaisbikes4fishDined on 8/17/2014Our meal was excellent, as was the service. We weren't ravenously hungry, so we ordered the very interesting-looking appetizers and made our dinner a kind of tapas experience: mussels, salmon, and blistered eggplant, with some sorbet for dessert, with a very good Zinfandel and the very good gin terroir Tamalpais to wash it down with. (I'm glad the hostess sat us outside, because it was quieter and more conducive to conversation than the more noisy and "happening" inside.)Special Features:
- A new favoriteSFtoBerkeleyDined on 8/16/2014We finally fulfilled our long-overdue intention to dine at Gather, and it was well worth the wait. Our server was incredibly gracious, friendly, informative, and helpful, and our food was exceptional. I can't wait to go back (hope I can get the forbidden black rice again!). Only slight negative was noise level (lots of hard surfaces), but overall experience was terrific.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thoughtful and well-executedOtterlyDined on 8/16/2014Our dinner at Gather was a belated anniversary treat on an otherwise unrelated trip. We were seated quickly, and though service was a bit slow, they were apologetic and communicative the whole way through. Dinner was outstanding; we started with the kale salad and summer vegetable soup, which were just bright, fresh, and perfectly done. Not a mushy veg in sight! For mains we had the fig, blue cheese, and prosciutto pizza, and the forbidden rice dish. Everything was great. We were too stuffed to even look at the dessert menu!Special Features:
- Love Gather!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/14/2014Always great food, great value for the quality, the kale salad was amazing as always.Special Features:
- Wonderful food, great spacenorcalveggieDined on 8/14/2014I've been to Gather twice and both times every single thing we ate was great. Most recently I shared kale salad and summer-squash pizza with a friend--both were interesting without being weird and had great flavor combinations, pizza with a nice chewy crust and kale softened somehow but still crunchy. I didn't love the Chupacabra cocktail but it was fine and my friend really enjoyed her peach one, nice and tart. Our waiter was terrific--rightly guessed that we were on the way to a concert and made sure everything was efficient without being rushed. Menu has plenty of options without being overwhelming and it's a really pleasant space, friendly but elegant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NICE BUT DEARpatchDined on 8/13/2014WE ENJOYED OUR REUNION HERE WITH FRIENDS FROM VERMONT. WHO NEEDED SOME GLUTEN FREE RESTAURANT- AND FOUND YOU ON GOOGLE TOP OF THE LIST!! VERY INTERESTING NEW AND DIFFERENT COMBOS AND DISHES. WISH THERE WERE SOME MORE BASIC ENTREES - - GREAT FOR A SPECIAL TREAT!. LOVED THE OPTION OF EARLY DINNER, BEFORE THE NOISE OF THE CROWDS. WOULD NOT ENJOY EATING INSIDE!.HEART THANKS FOR EASE OF RESERVATIONS ON OPEN TABLE- OUR WAITER WAS JUST GREAT! ! PRICES A LITTLE DEAR FOR US, HOWEVER WAS SPECIAL ONCE A YEAR CELEBRATION- AND NEW TO OUR FRIENDS!Special Features:
- Good preshow optionMrLunchboxDined on 8/12/2014Nice casual but festive choice in Berkeley. Kale salad was excellent. Fig, pancetta and blue cheese pizza was tasty as were the cocktails. Interesting wine list. Nothing was truly notable, but it's a nice choice for before a concert etc.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GatherLocalVIPDined on 8/11/2014We have been to Gather several times. The wine list and drinks are fun an eclectic. If you value fresh ingredients/farm to table this is a good place to go. The pizza's are big enough to share between two people. Kale salad is great. I would not recommend for special occasions. More fun/cool place for a healthy meal w/ family or friends. Kid friendly as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exquisite foodFoodieFanDined on 8/9/2014Amazing creative menu from chef Charis and her team!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still goodstephDined on 8/8/2014We loved the vegan charcuterie and have ordered it every time we've visited Gather, probably ten times. Then we moved back to the city and haven't been in a while. At our dinner last Friday, we found out they had taken it off the menu. It was always seasonally different, always beautiful and always a perfect combination of flavors. We were really sad to see they are no longer serving it. Our meal was good and the steamed mussels were a big hit. The pizza was pretty good and I think everyone enjoyed the meal. But Gather, if you're listening, please bring back the vegan charcuterie. It was the item that set you apart from everyone else.
- For a special treatKitkaDined on 8/6/2014Go here with a good friend, spouse or other close person. The food is usually quite good though a bit expensive. We visit Gather two or three times a year.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect for downtown BerkeleydinerdeliteVIPDined on 8/5/2014We had a fig, pancetta, blue cheese and arugula pizza, and tomator and watermelon salad before a movie and it was perfect. Very interesting food combinations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Inattentive serviceEdv5Dined on 8/4/2014The atmosphere is very nice and the menu and bar program are exciting, however the service was not satisfactory- it was inattentive, cold, not personable, and and scattered. A bad meal can be fixed with great service, but you can't fix service with a great meal.Special Features:
- Missing info...67foodDined on 8/3/2014The server was knowledgable and attentive, and helped with menu choices, which was appreciated. However, for one chosen entree, the primary flavor characteristic of the dish - very spicy - was not mentioned. Though the entree was very good, some people might have been too surprised by the degree of 'heat' to enjoy it, and had they known, might not have ordered it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, challenging serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/3/2014As stated in the title the food was amazing. I loved that Gather was a one stop place for many food preferences (vegan, gluten free). But we had to wave down our server to do anything- order, get the check, ask questions. I wish there had been someone to check in with is more regularly. Perhaps it was because we were on the patio? Out of site out of mind?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/2/2014odd but mostly interesting and well-prepared items. Largely vegetarian.Special Features:
- Pleasant timeSteveDined on 8/2/2014Nice place for a birthday dinner, complete with great desserts & complimentary champagne.Special Features:
- localdinerVIPDined on 8/2/2014Went there for brunch….had the corn scramble which was good, but not hot enough when it arrived. Don't think I would order it again.
- Great place for anniversaryOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/1/2014The team was incredibly supportive. And the chef is quite the creative. We had a great time being taken care of them. And we were super happy at the end of the meal. For being vegetarian, there were such amazing options done in a very creative way by the chef. Even the pizza was out of the world. It was truly a beautiful experience and highly recommend to all the folks who want to try some great food in a Michelin Star restaurant.Special Features:
- expensivediningout4meDined on 8/1/2014Enjoyed my meal & was warned that the salmon dish was appetizer-size portion. But, it was VERY small, i.e. 2-3 thin shavings of fish curled on top of the following. Flavor combinations, including two very thin slices of pickled beets and extremely tiny portions of other things/flavors, was very good. Presentation was very nice. Very noisy there and had to talk very loud across our table to be heard. Got to hear the conversation of other tables. Not a place for an intimate date or to get to know someone. My friend got the burger without a bun and had a huge plateful of food, i.e a burger with a pile of veggies on top and some wonderful, thin, crispy fries. She said it was very good. Parking bad but better after 6.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.