2200 Oxford Street
Berkeley, CA 94704Neighborhood:
CalifornianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.gatherrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 5108090400
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: 5:00 - 10:00 pm every evening
Weekday Lunch: 11:30 am - 2:00 pm Monday through Friday
Weekend Brunch: 10 am - 2:30 pm Saturday and Sunday
Reservations accepted for Lunch, Brunch and Dinner.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Organic, American, Californian
- Executive Chef: Sean Baker
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: The first organic catering company in the country:
We cater for groups of up to 250 people in the David Brower Center in Downtown Berkeley.
We cater off-site groups upon request, e-mail email@example.com to inquire.
- Private Party Facilities: Please call for details.
- Private Party Contact: Ask for a manager 5108090400
- Special Events: Parties of 7-12 may book 1st seating and 2nd seating tables by phone. Groups of 12 to 18 may arrange seasonal prix fixe menus a week or more in advance, Sunday-Wednesday only. E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org with your party size, preferences and budget.
- Cross Street: Allston Way
- Public Transit: Downtown Berkeley BART (1 block away!)
AC Transit to Downtown Berkeley
Ample bicycle parking
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: There is a garage in the building ($4 nighttime, entrance at 2161 Kittredge) and 3 other nearby public lots including the garage at Zellerbach Hall
A word from Gather
• Utilizing techniques inspired by classic culinary craftsmanship, Gather in downtown Berkeley features organic local produce, pizzas, sustainable seafood, and humanely-raised meats that showcase the uniquely abundant environment of Northern California- with 50% vegetarian offerings. A totally organic cocktail list, innovative desserts, and an affordable wine list crafted by national award winner Christie Dufault are served up in a warm ambiance informed by honey hued reclaimed woods literally “gathered” from the surrounding area. Directly across from the UC campus, it is conveniently located in the very green David Brower Center; 5 minutes from Zellerbach Hall and Berkeley Rep.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerCalifornian
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Gather - Best Restaurants in Berkeley ›
Gather reviews from OpenTable diners
303 reviews since May 4, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (212)neighborhood gem (106)special occasion (90)great for lunch (73)great for brunch (63)good for groups (50)great for outdoor dining (48)hot spot (31)kid-friendly (27)romantic (24)notable wine list (15)vibrant bar scene (9)scenic view (7)late-night find (5)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/30/2014great chicken great chicken, good kale salad halibut was quite goodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good foodOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/27/2014Our server might be new because he couldn't really describe the dishes to us. We ordered the half chicken, forbidden black rice and eggplant. There were delicious.Special Features:
- overpriced for the qualitysanfranciscensDined on 8/27/2014Best to go somewhere else -- for entrees in this price range, you can eat at an incredible restaurant with a Michelin star. Gather is really just an overdone campus eatery.
- A story of taste...OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/27/2014This is one of my new favorite spots in Berkeley with Belli Osteria. Our server was very knowledgeable and attentive. Everything was good but my best part was the dessert: seeded shortbread with pearls of Jasmine, marinated strawberry, shaved plum and a scoop of coconut/basil ice cream. We will be back!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not quite rightOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/25/2014We took our new to UC student there for an early birthday dinner because we had been there for a brunch and it was close to campus. Thank goodness the limited menu included a yummy burger for the young man.Special Features:
- JonoDined on 8/24/2014Enjoyable atmosphere and well crafted sustainable fare!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Highlight of our Berkeley tripOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/24/2014We read the reviews which led us to believe we had to try out Gather. That was an understatement! We were literally blown away by our entire dining experience. My boyfriend is an Executive Chef of a restaurant in the San Diego area and gave every single thing we ate a 10 out of 10. We started with the soup, which was one of our favorites, with the beans and the veggies, and the delicious walnut olive oil on top. The salad was really unique and pleasantly tasty with the hint of dill. Really good and everything was so fresh and executed beautifully. We really enjoyed the pork belly poached egg dish. Our favorite dish was the pizza with bleu cheese and figs. So interesting, different, yet fantastic and definitely provided fireworks!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sweet Gathering Place!YingMeiVIPDined on 8/22/2014Love this place: meeting folks from the UCB crowd. Service and food -good, consistent, thoughtful. Wish that the noise level can be reduced, by putting several rugs around, either on the floor or walls or some acoustic modifications.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simple weekday lunchhappymontyeatsDined on 8/22/2014I had a simple weekday lunch at 11:30 AM so it wasn't too crowded. I ordered the kale salad and a bean/vegetable soup. The soup was a tad on the salty side but otherwise, everything was delicious and nice prepared. The staff was very friendly and helpful. For lunch, there were not many gluten free options for entrees but I was quite content with my soup and salad combination.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistent and delicious foodMadeleinetpVIPDined on 8/20/2014It is always a pleasure to go to Gather. The ride from San Francisco is easy and it is well worth going there for their delicious, original dishes.Special Features:
- delicious foodchookladyDined on 8/18/2014We had a very nice meal at Gather to celebrate our wedding anniversary. So sweet of them to bring us complimentary glasses of bubbly. We ordered a number of dishes so we could taste as much as possible. The wait staff was very helpful with our various dietary restrictions. The food was exquisite. The service friendly and well organized. although the noise level is fairly loud there (in the contemporary style), we were able to converse comfortably.Special Features:
- Tapas and Taste of Tamalpaisbikes4fishDined on 8/17/2014Our meal was excellent, as was the service. We weren't ravenously hungry, so we ordered the very interesting-looking appetizers and made our dinner a kind of tapas experience: mussels, salmon, and blistered eggplant, with some sorbet for dessert, with a very good Zinfandel and the very good gin terroir Tamalpais to wash it down with. (I'm glad the hostess sat us outside, because it was quieter and more conducive to conversation than the more noisy and "happening" inside.)Special Features:
- A new favoriteSFtoBerkeleyDined on 8/16/2014We finally fulfilled our long-overdue intention to dine at Gather, and it was well worth the wait. Our server was incredibly gracious, friendly, informative, and helpful, and our food was exceptional. I can't wait to go back (hope I can get the forbidden black rice again!). Only slight negative was noise level (lots of hard surfaces), but overall experience was terrific.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thoughtful and well-executedOtterlyDined on 8/16/2014Our dinner at Gather was a belated anniversary treat on an otherwise unrelated trip. We were seated quickly, and though service was a bit slow, they were apologetic and communicative the whole way through. Dinner was outstanding; we started with the kale salad and summer vegetable soup, which were just bright, fresh, and perfectly done. Not a mushy veg in sight! For mains we had the fig, blue cheese, and prosciutto pizza, and the forbidden rice dish. Everything was great. We were too stuffed to even look at the dessert menu!Special Features:
- Love Gather!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/14/2014Always great food, great value for the quality, the kale salad was amazing as always.Special Features:
- Wonderful food, great spacenorcalveggieDined on 8/14/2014I've been to Gather twice and both times every single thing we ate was great. Most recently I shared kale salad and summer-squash pizza with a friend--both were interesting without being weird and had great flavor combinations, pizza with a nice chewy crust and kale softened somehow but still crunchy. I didn't love the Chupacabra cocktail but it was fine and my friend really enjoyed her peach one, nice and tart. Our waiter was terrific--rightly guessed that we were on the way to a concert and made sure everything was efficient without being rushed. Menu has plenty of options without being overwhelming and it's a really pleasant space, friendly but elegant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NICE BUT DEARpatchDined on 8/13/2014WE ENJOYED OUR REUNION HERE WITH FRIENDS FROM VERMONT. WHO NEEDED SOME GLUTEN FREE RESTAURANT- AND FOUND YOU ON GOOGLE TOP OF THE LIST!! VERY INTERESTING NEW AND DIFFERENT COMBOS AND DISHES. WISH THERE WERE SOME MORE BASIC ENTREES - - GREAT FOR A SPECIAL TREAT!. LOVED THE OPTION OF EARLY DINNER, BEFORE THE NOISE OF THE CROWDS. WOULD NOT ENJOY EATING INSIDE!.HEART THANKS FOR EASE OF RESERVATIONS ON OPEN TABLE- OUR WAITER WAS JUST GREAT! ! PRICES A LITTLE DEAR FOR US, HOWEVER WAS SPECIAL ONCE A YEAR CELEBRATION- AND NEW TO OUR FRIENDS!Special Features:
- Good preshow optionMrLunchboxDined on 8/12/2014Nice casual but festive choice in Berkeley. Kale salad was excellent. Fig, pancetta and blue cheese pizza was tasty as were the cocktails. Interesting wine list. Nothing was truly notable, but it's a nice choice for before a concert etc.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GatherLocalVIPDined on 8/11/2014We have been to Gather several times. The wine list and drinks are fun an eclectic. If you value fresh ingredients/farm to table this is a good place to go. The pizza's are big enough to share between two people. Kale salad is great. I would not recommend for special occasions. More fun/cool place for a healthy meal w/ family or friends. Kid friendly as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exquisite foodFoodieFanDined on 8/9/2014Amazing creative menu from chef Charis and her team!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still goodstephDined on 8/8/2014We loved the vegan charcuterie and have ordered it every time we've visited Gather, probably ten times. Then we moved back to the city and haven't been in a while. At our dinner last Friday, we found out they had taken it off the menu. It was always seasonally different, always beautiful and always a perfect combination of flavors. We were really sad to see they are no longer serving it. Our meal was good and the steamed mussels were a big hit. The pizza was pretty good and I think everyone enjoyed the meal. But Gather, if you're listening, please bring back the vegan charcuterie. It was the item that set you apart from everyone else.
- For a special treatKitkaDined on 8/6/2014Go here with a good friend, spouse or other close person. The food is usually quite good though a bit expensive. We visit Gather two or three times a year.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect for downtown BerkeleydinerdeliteVIPDined on 8/5/2014We had a fig, pancetta, blue cheese and arugula pizza, and tomator and watermelon salad before a movie and it was perfect. Very interesting food combinations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Inattentive serviceEdv5Dined on 8/4/2014The atmosphere is very nice and the menu and bar program are exciting, however the service was not satisfactory- it was inattentive, cold, not personable, and and scattered. A bad meal can be fixed with great service, but you can't fix service with a great meal.Special Features:
- Missing info...67foodDined on 8/3/2014The server was knowledgable and attentive, and helped with menu choices, which was appreciated. However, for one chosen entree, the primary flavor characteristic of the dish - very spicy - was not mentioned. Though the entree was very good, some people might have been too surprised by the degree of 'heat' to enjoy it, and had they known, might not have ordered it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, challenging serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/3/2014As stated in the title the food was amazing. I loved that Gather was a one stop place for many food preferences (vegan, gluten free). But we had to wave down our server to do anything- order, get the check, ask questions. I wish there had been someone to check in with is more regularly. Perhaps it was because we were on the patio? Out of site out of mind?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/2/2014odd but mostly interesting and well-prepared items. Largely vegetarian.Special Features:
- Pleasant timeSteveDined on 8/2/2014Nice place for a birthday dinner, complete with great desserts & complimentary champagne.Special Features:
- localdinerVIPDined on 8/2/2014Went there for brunch….had the corn scramble which was good, but not hot enough when it arrived. Don't think I would order it again.
- Great place for anniversaryOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/1/2014The team was incredibly supportive. And the chef is quite the creative. We had a great time being taken care of them. And we were super happy at the end of the meal. For being vegetarian, there were such amazing options done in a very creative way by the chef. Even the pizza was out of the world. It was truly a beautiful experience and highly recommend to all the folks who want to try some great food in a Michelin Star restaurant.Special Features:
- expensivediningout4meDined on 8/1/2014Enjoyed my meal & was warned that the salmon dish was appetizer-size portion. But, it was VERY small, i.e. 2-3 thin shavings of fish curled on top of the following. Flavor combinations, including two very thin slices of pickled beets and extremely tiny portions of other things/flavors, was very good. Presentation was very nice. Very noisy there and had to talk very loud across our table to be heard. Got to hear the conversation of other tables. Not a place for an intimate date or to get to know someone. My friend got the burger without a bun and had a huge plateful of food, i.e a burger with a pile of veggies on top and some wonderful, thin, crispy fries. She said it was very good. Parking bad but better after 6.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely Food at GatherSoupSisterVIPDined on 8/1/2014Exceptional food, simply prepared and nicely presented, with emphasis on vegetarian combinations that are lively and satisfying. The spicy tomato pizza was perhaps the best pizza I've had anywhere, and the little gem salad was a perfect combination of flavors and textures. Very accommodating staff, with a server who helped expedite our courses to assure we'd be in time for our theater time a few blocks away. Since this was our first time there, she helped us navigate menu choices and assure that we were ordering enough but not too much as we put dishes together. Will definitely be back whenever we're in Berkeley.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty farm to table next to campusjamesgDined on 7/31/2014You know things are looking promising when you pull up right in front of a Berkeley restaurant and there is a spot waiting for you. We started with marinated olives (average, could have used more variety in size) and the cucumber salad with cashew ricotta (delicious!). Together we shared the fig pizza (fantastic flavor, nicely balanced with thinly sliced fig, arugula and pancetta), and the Lucky Dog Ranch burger with homemade ketchup (yum!). Dessert rounded out things nicely with seeded shortbread and coconut ice cream. The shortbread is baked very thin and has a wonderful rich crackerlike texture. Atmosphere was warm and lively. Service was fast and friendly. We will definitely be back and we will bring friends with us!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Service,Good Food,Menu hohumHardToPleaseDined on 7/31/2014Service was almost too friendly and attentive- we must have been asked 4 times while we ate if everything was ok- is that a corporate quota thing, or do they really want to know? But servers were friendly and helpful. Menu is very small, and not enough variety (only one thing with meat- a pork sandwich- or you can put some pancetta on a pizza); no real stand-out choices, and a bit pricey for what you get. Would have liked to see more variety, more yummy enticing ingredients and some more delectable and rich options... (think meat, cheese, avocado, bacon, comforting and delicious- not just stuff I can make at home) But nice ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I wish I could give it more starssbayursbitesVIPDined on 7/29/2014But I cannot. The Server was awesome-but we had a problem with the staging of the food. We ordered an appetizer, then dinner-mine was a salad and an entrée as was another diners, but my partner wanted several small plates staged to come with our food. It did not happen. First we got another tables plate-before we realized that it was. Then the salads came, then all my partners plates at once, then our entrees. The food itself would get a mixed review, I had a great vegetarian dish, the mussels were good, but the paté plate was barely there. So this place gets three stars-a mid/mixed review. This was our first time there. With so many options available to us, it will not be high on the list for a return visit. Try À Côté instead.Special Features:
- MaryDined on 7/29/2014Three friends tried Gather before a recent Berkeley Rep performance. We shared the kale salad, the arugula salad, mussels, the halibut, and a fig and blue cheese pizza. Each was outstanding. We will definitely return. The service was attentive and food courses were perfectly timed. It was moderately priced, as was the bottle of Sauvignon Blanc that we enjoyed. It was the perfect beginning of a lovely evening!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Grateful for Vegan OptionsiluvplantsDined on 7/26/2014The vegan pizza and kale salad were outstanding. Fun atmosphere, friendly servers. Good wine, dessert and cappuccino.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Room for ImprovementLiketoeatatGatherVIPDined on 7/26/2014Gather is the type of restaurant where one would expect to be able to order egg white dishes. We do it for health reasons and hardly ever (if ever) get turned down when we make our requests at restaurants similar to Gather. We got turned down, with no flexibility when we recently ate at Gather. We think that the restaurant needs to rethink (i.e., change) that policy. Having said that, the French toast was the best my wife and I have ever had (and, yes, we know that it was probably made with whole eggs). Can't have everything, but the other dish we ordered (a scrambled egg dish that almost all restaurants would make with egg whites) could have been healthier to offset the modest "cheating" we were doing with the French toast.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent servicebadgerDined on 7/20/2014The food is remarkable and the service personable, knowledgeable, and congenial .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An unfortunately mediocre dinnerKazooDined on 7/18/2014I've been to Gather at least 8 times, both for lunch and dinner. It's been uniformly outstanding, if sometimes loud and crowded in the evening. The last time I dined there was at least 12 months ago. I went there last Friday night and sat down early - at 6:30 - with my date. I chose an early hour specifically because I/we didn't want to be hurried. The waiter kept rushing us, even though we said we were going slow and the place was not full. We had to ask twice for share plates. The middle courses were okay, but both they and the mains were overcooked. For what it's worth, the manager Jody was great when we complained. Apparently this was the waiter's first dinner shift. I hope they get their groove back. Too good to let it go down!Special Features: