75 Northern Ave
Boston, MA 02210Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.gatherboston.com/
- Phone: (617) 982-7220
- Hours of Operation:
Bar open until 2AM Mon-Sat
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Dennis Wilson
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Gather
Gather is a full service restaurant and bar adjacent to District Hall that serves a menu of affordable, fresh, and inventive dishes inspired by modern-American cuisine. Located in Boston's fast-growing Seaport District, Gather offers guests a bright and airy space with a comfortable and energetic atmosphere for friends, co-workers and more to come together. The bar serves delicious cocktails, local craft beers and a wide selection of wines by the glass and bottle. Gather will serve lunch and dinner daily, with menus featuring creative and inventive dishes inspired by modern American cuisine. Worldly dishes will be alongside today’s standards such as chicken and waffles, flatbread pizza and cheeseburgers. The menu will feature snacks, fresh local seafood, entree salads and daily specials.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Gather reviews from OpenTable diners
128 reviews since July 24, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelEnergetic
great for outdoor dining (70)fit for foodies (52)scenic view (43)great for lunch (40)hot spot (39)good for groups (38)neighborhood gem (34)vibrant bar scene (26)romantic (9)late-night find (9)special occasion (8)great for brunch (6)notable wine list (4)kid-friendly (3)Show More
- duck tacosOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/5/2014The duck tacos are really good - could be an appetizer or entree. Great service and close to the convention center.Special Features:
- Unsophisticated restaurantAlpoVIPDined on 8/3/2014Poor service, poor attitude, impossible parking, uninteresting menu. It is obvious the owner is NOT in the store!
- Just RightJBEXP1Dined on 8/2/2014While the Boston Seaport has become a destination full of new restaurants, they have differentiate themselves, in many cases, by being bigger, flashier, louder or just more then their rivals. Enter Gather. The food is not only creative and tasty but the presentation is attractive and simple. The place was full but you never felt rushed or overwhelmed. Service was attentive without being hovering and our server was knowledgeable about both the bar and food offerings. Certainlly on this night Gather was just right.Special Features:
- FunCarolDined on 8/2/2014We went to Gather to celebrate my daughter's 21st birthday. The service and food was excellent but the atmosphere was definitely different than any other place I've been to. The décor reminded me of an episode of "Design on a Dime". It wasn't bad, just very different. I can't say enough about the food and service. There were 8 of us and we all had a great time!Special Features:
- Nice outdoor seatingFrenchFanDined on 8/1/2014The chicken and waffles appetizer was delicious. Great location for lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Great ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/31/2014I had heard about Gather from an episode of Phantom Gourmet. I was curious about the dinning experience, but raring to try the food. We had a group of 6 celebrating a birthday. The waitress was great and the food was Excellent. I will definitely be returning!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and viewSoSoDined on 7/29/2014A romantic patio provides views of the water while you munch on great appetizers, such as the delicious grilled octopus with aioli. The service is a bit slow, so don't go if you are in a rush. But the ambiance is so magnificent that the poor service can be overlooked.Special Features:
- Beat expectations!GatherDined on 7/26/2014Tried to get reservations at legal Harborside and couldn't get in. So we decided to go to Gather and I was very impressed. The margarita was super spicy and delicious. My wife got the Mojito and enjoyed it as well. We got the octopus which was absolutely amazing. Super tender and per extra cooked, you need to try this. We also got duck tacos which were good, but very messy. You need to wear a bib. The lobster roll was humongous and delicious. The seafood jambalaya was okay, you are better off getting the lobster roll. This place is definitely worth a try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ApatheticOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/25/2014Got the feeling no one wanted to be here working. The bar tender was not friendly and smacking gum. She was not engaging at all. The "special" tasted like it was a frozen meal out the freezer and warmed in a microwave. Doubt gather will be here long
- A place to atleast try onceNoogieDined on 7/25/2014Gather is a place to check out for its aesthetically pleasing interior decor (the hanging light fixtures), some of its mixed drink and dish offerings, and outdoor seating (a street away from the actual harbor - still a great view though). I recommend the Boom Boom Shrimp as a starter and their firey margarita, the Picante. I made a mistake of getting a pasta dish (Pasta & Pesto), but it was still good. After my first visit, I would recommend visiting Gather at least once for a drink/cocktail, or starters before your dinner reservation. I plan to try out its Sunday brunch menu as I think this will be a great brunch place for a warm and sunny afternoon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great octopusOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/25/2014Loved the grilled octopus and cocktails. I also ate a salad and pasta that was not so great and very expensive. It was hard to get the waitress attention as she was attending too many tables. The outdoor seating was great as we had a view of the ocean.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Comfort FoodDeeCDined on 7/24/2014I have been there twice now and I have really enjoyed the ceviche with the accompaniment of lotus root chips, salsa and guacamole.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 86 reviews are from the Gather reviews archive.
- surprisingly good!mrstibsVIPDined on 7/23/2014I didn't know anything about Gather but was looking for something in the neighborhood and thought we'd try something new. I had the cod which was delicious and my friends had the seviche and salmon. We all really enjoyed our experience. I would probably have given it a higher rating on ambiance if it hadn't been so warm. It was a really hot night and on the way out we noticed that the door near where we were sitting was open so the A/C was not working to its fullest.Special Features:
- UnderwhelmedMGH1VIPDined on 7/23/2014If you want a nice view, might as well go to a place on the other side of the street. Nothing special about cocktail or wine list but it wasn't disappointing either. Lobster roll was good, fruit + cheese plate below par. Our server was very nice and attentive.
- Great Casual DiningspoiledboyDined on 7/19/2014Location is great for outdoor dining and the food is casual yet creative. A great deal in the neighborhood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great timeOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/19/2014We were going to a show in that area....starting the day before I tried to get reservations and there was no availability in any of the restaurants closer to the Blue Hills Pavilion. I found Gather in a final search on Open Table. I'm so glad I found it. It has plenty of availability but wasn't completely empty. We had a nice outside table with a great view of the bay. Dinner was perfectly prepared to our liking, priced reasonably (for that area), and the drinks were top notch. We ended up spending over 2 hours there with friends. Would definitely go again.Special Features:
- CurtCurtVIPDined on 7/18/2014Enjoy the atmosphere in the innovation district. This time remarkable improvement on service. Staff very friendly! Pasto was great, tacos my daughter had were delicious, more people mid age and up should come down and take advantage of the young and vibrant and innovative atmosphere at District Hall.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gather dining/great experiencegreatDined on 7/12/2014had a great night of outdoor dining w/ friends - Annie our waitress enhanced the experience - food/service/ambiance was fantastic!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved Gather!VCBostonDined on 7/11/2014Great food, service, menu and ambience! Cannot wait to get back!!Special Features:
- Oscar Meyer Was HereICouldEatVIPDined on 7/7/2014Great cocktails, so-so lunch. I've been here for after-work drinks and the bar is lively and fun. I took a colleague to lunch, however, and was underwhelmed. I ordered the turkey club and what I got for meat was the thin slices you get from a cheap package at the supermarket. Service was very good but I think I will stick to drinks from here on out.
- Food was okAvon25VIPDined on 7/5/2014Do not get the sangria. It was worst I've ever had - basically watered down cheap wine with little fruit and no sweetness.
- A nice place to gatherNooshejanDined on 7/5/2014Great outdoor seating area with a good selection of beers. Better suited for drinks and apps than entreesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfectly AdequateAimeeDined on 7/2/2014My girlfriend and I dined at Gather prior to attending a Cirque du Soleil performance. We found it clean, the staff attentive, and the food was adequate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- mostly goodtrainerVIPDined on 7/2/2014First visit. A bit noisy with not great acoustics. Most meals in our party of 6 were fine. Steak was overcooked and somewhat small. Turkey club was average, not offered a choice of bread. Jambalaya was very tasty, good portion. Lobster roll good. Server pleasant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- more professional serviceCurtVIPDined on 6/30/2014the waitress thought you put olives in gin & tonics. requests for additional plates, set up ignored and forgotten. shrimp breading was watery, like it was done! nice servers but too inexperienced at these pricesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- City Flair DiningDj2014Dined on 6/27/2014We went to Gather just before having to head to the airport for vacation and the location was perfect. The service, scene and food was great. The children's options were perfect and the drinks were refreshing and different. Food was fresh and light feeling which left room for yummy dessert after. Great spot to be part of the city and atmosphere.Special Features:
- HowieVIPDined on 6/25/2014Not great. Good for some bar bites, sandwiches, and that clam chowder. Not so much for the full meals. Nice location and cool dining room + outdoorsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lunch SpotTamieLVIPDined on 6/25/2014I sat outside in this instance that I went to Gather. The service was great as usual. the outdoor seating faces the waterfront/Boston Harbor. I had a light lunch (mango cucumber salad) since it was 88 degrees out but it was filling and well presented. Definitely a convenient place to get quick lunch, be outside and get back to work without a wait.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great casual diningWfearleyDined on 6/21/2014Our table was ready for us. The steamers were very good and hot. The lobster salad and the scrod were perfect. The service was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- westofbostonDined on 6/18/2014Restaurant is VERY loud - could not hear my friends on the other side of the table. 2 tables were moved together and were not even, so we had to be aware not to spill our drinks. Food was very, very average. Would not recommend this restaurant to anyone. Needs lots of improvements.
- Good lunch; noisy surroundingsMayorSalesDined on 6/16/2014Lunch salad was very good and others enjoyed their dishes. Good outdoor setup to enjoy a nice sunny day. The problem is that Northern Avenue at lunch on a weekday is a mess of dump trucks, seafood delivery trucks and other very loud vehicles that rumble by and force you to stop the conversation until they pass. Not sure there is anything Gather can do to solve this but if you are looking for a peaceful lunch this might not be the spotSpecial Features:
- ehanyoungDined on 6/14/2014while the location and view were excellent and the decor romantic, the food was really mediocre. there are so many better restaurants in south boston and especially in that area. maybe better to grab a drink there and move on elsewhere for dinner. we had the short rib mashed potato pizza and the short rib meat was so dry it tasted like inorganic material, i had to pick it all off. ink squid pasta was also poorly cooked and really underwhelming.Special Features:
- I'll go backKrisCDined on 6/13/2014Gather has a great vibe to it. Sadly not on the water but part of the bustling Seaport District. The food was definitely up to par. We had the hummus plate, chips & dip, and chicken with waffles for apps. The dip (onion) for the chips could have had but more flavor but I dipped in the hummus so all was good. Dinner was statler chicken, lobster Cobb, steak frites, and St. Louis baby back ribs. All plates were completely clean!!! Dessert was banana split and chocolate layer cake. Yummmmmm!! Now for the missing star. The drinks were yummy but a very light pour. I had three cocktails. At any other place I'd have a nice buzz at Gather I was fine. Go for beer or straight alcohol if you want a buzz ;-)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Working out the kinksColbylisaDined on 6/12/2014We went to Gather as a group of 4 on the way to a concert, so had an early 6:00 Rez. At this point the after work crowd was in full force and the bar was packed. Our server was funny and pleasant but took our drink order and disappeared for a good 30 minutes. Someone else when asked where the drinks were responded that the bar was busy...sigh. We ordered a series of small plates, some of which were delicious and others really mediocre. Get the duck tacos and the spicy shrimp, avoid the hummus and tapenade (bland) and the pizza with short ribs (dry). It's a fun locale and environment but needs to work out the kinks before we'd go back.
- Briar group does it again w/GatherOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 6/12/2014Love the entire set up here. Same friendly service I've grown accustomed to at all their locations and the food is awesome!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food wasn't that greatOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 6/7/2014Food wasn't that great for the price they charge. Not a great menu to choose from.
- unfriendly serviceMSAngeDined on 6/7/2014Went here recently for dinner with my partner. I am vegan and I specified that when making the reservation. The menu contains a couple vegetarian options of cheesy pasta and a veggie burger. I was not particularly excited about either so I asked the waiter for suggestions and other options. Apparently asking for modifications at this restaurant is a huge bother and the waiter did nothing to hide his unhappiness with me. I have never felt so unwelcome at a restaurant before. The place also seemed under-staffed and hurried. I would not recommend this place even if you don't need any accommodations. There are many other amazing restaurants in this area that you should check out instead.
- Terrific on a warm summer daySammiDined on 6/7/2014Great menu, great service, beautiful view and very good food. What's not to love?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- southendjayVIPDined on 6/6/2014A beautiful Friday evening was capped off with a delicious meal at Gather. My friends and I enjoyed cocktails (the margarita was one of the best I've had in the city) and split 4 things from the menu. The gnocchi practically melted in my mouth, the bang bang shrimp was amazing and the ceviche was the favorite of the table. Our waiter was attentive, friendly and knew the menu well (despite just starting two months prior). Overall, I would say this was one of the best dining experiences I've had in Boston. I look forward to coming back here soon!Special Features:
- SouthEndResidentDined on 6/6/2014You can't deny the ambience and scenic view of the waterfront. The food was good but unfortunately I found that THING you NEVER want to find in your salad (hair). The waitress did remove it from the bill. Other dishes we had were yummy. I would recommend and I would go back and try again but I wouldn't say it's excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.