Gary's on Spring
204 South Spring Street
Louisville, KY 40206Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Gary's on Spring
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://garysonspring.com/
- Phone: (502) 584-5533
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, International
- Executive Chef: Harold Baker
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Parties up to 24 can have a secluded area in the upstairs bar. Larger parties can either have most of the main dining room, or full patio with weather permitting.
- Private Party Contact: Greg Fearing 5024357723
- Entertainment: Jazz outside when weather permitting.
A word from Gary's on Spring
Gary's on Spring is a casual fine dining restaurant set in a two story brick building built in 1885. We have dining on the main floor with a walk-out covered patio. Moving upstairs you will find a bar/lounge with couches and exposed brick walls, accompanied by an open air deck to enjoy alfresco cocktails and dining.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
Gary's on Spring - Best Restaurants in Downtown Louisville ›
Gary's on Spring reviews from OpenTable diners
112 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (65)special occasion (63)fit for foodies (59)great for outdoor dining (44)romantic (42)notable wine list (27)good for groups (21)vibrant bar scene (7)great for brunch (5)hot spot (5)late-night find (4)great for lunch (3)kid-friendly (2)Show More
- Great time.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/22/2014I took my wife there for her birthday. The service was topnotch, so was the food. We had a great time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent experiencetrchaseVIPDined on 11/18/2014First trip to Gary's on Spring but it won't be my last. Great food and service. It also has a great bar. Try the shrimp and grits. They are amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing Local Restaurant!ToddlerDined on 11/17/2014What an amazing local find! We chose Gary's to celebrate our anniversary. Everything we had heard about Gary's was absolutely correct. Great atmosphere, excellent service, generously poured and delicious beverages, but most of all, incredible flavor in every bite. Prices were appropriate for the quality and portions. We will definitely return to Gary with friends in tow!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DLF3Dined on 11/15/2014We had to wait about 30-40 minutes for table to open for a reservation at 8:00. Noise level was a little high but nothing too bad... Other than that it was very good! Good food, good service and reasonably priced!I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/15/2014Great service, farm to table salad was delicious, alotof great entrees to chose went with the grouper and wasn't disappointed. We were upstairs and it was quite intimate. Really good bourbon listSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/15/2014We love going to this out of the way spot. Always great food and service. We love to sit upstairs out of the crowded dining room. The patio is always great place in nice weather.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First timer, really enjoyed it.TravisDined on 11/12/2014The staff here is fantastic! There was a band playing downstairs so we ended up sitting upstairs where it was a little more quiet. Prices are comparable to this type of restaurant. I will certainly be back to try out other things on the menu or maybe just hang at the bar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Restaurant. Like The Entertainment.jimb425Dined on 11/12/2014A great combination of good food, good service, and live entertainment on Wednesday night. Entertainment is perfect (light Jazz with singing) for the type of restaurant they are. I consider the best combination in town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous Food and Superb Server Selena!JohnVIPDined on 11/11/2014Absolutely delicious everything! And our server, Selena, was one of the best we've ever had! She's a realy keeper. Made our celebration of THREE birthdays and one 50th wedding anniversary perfect!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/6/2014Wonderful food, great service, and wine special...wonderful experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/1/2014I had flowers delivered and the manager was very accommodating. The flowers were at the table when we arrived. We requested our fave server - Titus. As usual, he was great! The food was delish as usual. Dinner at Gary's was a great way to cap off our day.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I'd go back in a heartbeatMTTableDined on 11/1/2014Four of us met for dinner upstairs and felt right at home even though this was our first visit. Server was knowledgable and attentive and provided good advice as to items and portions. My mini hot brown was phenomenal and accompanying Ceasar salad was bountiful and delicious. Would recommend to a friend...a hungry friend.Special Features:
- We're Back!ASpotinKYDined on 11/1/2014Having become "regulars" at Gary's over the past year we had not been there in a couple of months. Had a 6:30 reservation but arrived at 5:15 and went upstairs to the bar. We were greeted by Susan and introduced to Martin, who is new to the staff since we were there last. The coctails and the service was great. In talking with Martin I learned some tidbits about different bourbons and he recommended several that were very good. Once we headed downstairs for dinner we were quickly seated by Greg and he made us feel very welcome. We had Titus as our server and he was great. He covered all of the specials and made sure to answer all of our menu questions. The ffod was great and Titus provided outstanding service. We will be back soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Halloween TreatKentuckyKerriDined on 10/31/2014The filet, scallops and grouper were delicious! We will definitely be back!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LBFDDined on 10/25/2014This is our favorite restaurant. Everything on the menu is delicious, and the service is always outstanding. The staff is always very friendly.Special Features:
- Girl's night outKarenDined on 10/16/2014Three of my friends and I met for dinner. It was half price wine night. Because it was so much cheaper to buy the 1/2 priced bottle instead of wine by the glass, we each bought our own bottle and took the leftovers home. The food was wonderful. I had the potato encrusted grouper with Brussels sprouts. The portions were very large.Special Features:
- Good but overpricedNycdinerVIPDined on 10/11/2014Hearing the '4star' buzz in louisville we decided to try Gary's but were disappointed by overly salted food, weak presentation, and high prices vs final product delivered to table.
- food was not up to parOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/10/2014The starters were great however the main course was not up to par. Bill for 2 entrees, 1 starter and 2 waters was 91 dollars. Wow and no one asked why we didn't eat most of our dinner.Special Features:
- Dining with friendstable44Dined on 10/10/2014Food and service were excellent plus (the best Caesar salad), loved the atmosphere, great menu, the table setting, good prices, food presentation, easy close parking on a rainy night! Very comfortable fine dining! Great experience except for the noise level, poor acoustics??.....a bit strained to hear conversation at a table for 4 - otherwise perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outdoor Patio Is Greatjimb425Dined on 10/8/2014Love the look and atmosphere of the patio. Entertainment is great. A great evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GinnieGrantDined on 10/3/2014My family and I went to gary's for the first time to celebrate my birthday. The wait staff was above and beyond sweet and attentive to our needs. The meal was one of the best I've had in a long time. Maybe ever. My husband and I split the baby hot brown appetizer. anyone who goes to Gary's and doesn't order this is doing themselves a great Disservice. I've had hot browns at the brown hotel where they were invented and I have to say these blew them away. I wanted to lick the sauce off the plate! Our main courses were delicious, very fresh and so pretty I almost felt bad destroying. Desserts made in house were so rich. and everyone was kind and helpful with my special needs eight year old. He didn't feel out of place at all.Special Features:
- Good againTeejDined on 9/27/20142nd time. Really a nice place. It's casually elegant and out of the way. The food is terrific. The wine list is good. The price is reasonable. The only gripe was my wife's shrimp and grits, which had, according to my wife, too much country ham wrapped around the shrimp. Now, we can have a long argument whether there is such a thing as "too much country ham," but why bother? Give the excess ham to your husband -- me -- and go on with shrimp and grits, which she loved. I got chicken with some kind of blueberry compote and polenta, and it was awesome. The waiter was casual but efficient. No one rushed. This place is a find.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food and great service4specialtimesDined on 9/20/2014Very friendly staff with excellent tasting and large variety of entrees.Special Features:
- Good Scallops and meatballsCarolineDined on 9/20/2014Nice greeting at the door, it felt very inviting. Our dinner was good, but inconsistent. The scallops and meatballs were excellent while the high priced Earth, wind and sea was dissappointing. The slaw and sweet potato fries with the burger were tasty. Our waiter read the specials off of a card, and did not have knowledge of beers to recommend one. I hope he was new.Special Features:
- TAS1159Dined on 9/13/2014Gary's is an outstanding restaurant and a wonderful place to spend time with special people. Gary always greets you at the door and makes you feel as if you are very special to him and his business. Highly recommended!Special Features:
- So-SoOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/13/2014The food for the price could have been better. One person at the table was even saying the food was not warm enough.Special Features:
- Disappointing....againCindyWVIPDined on 9/12/2014We visit this restaurant occasionally hoping that food quality has improved. It has an attractive décor, mostly good wait staff, and some items on the menu are interesting. On this occasion, we were a table of 4 and two of ordered the grouper. The fish was incredibly overcooked. We chipped off the dark brown potato crust to find dry and hard grouper - basically inedible. The other two diners ordered steak, one the special filet with "Oscar" treatment. On this dish, the crab was we're not sure what variety, but it was tasteless and dry. The other steak, ordered medium rare, arrived well-done but was quickly replaced with the correct dish. Our server was the high point! Bottom line: unless you're in the neighborhood, don't bother.
- Great food and even better service!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/12/2014Our dinner was fantastic. He had the filet with the chicken and lobster and I had the special, filet with crab. Both were amazing. Our server was extremely nice and very attentive. Couldn't have asked for a more perfect dinner to celebrate my fiancé's birthday.Special Features:
- Good With Live Entertainmentjimb425Dined on 9/10/2014Enjoyed the whole experience. Live entertainment on Wednesday night is frosting on the cake, trio was excellent and unique. Worth the drive.Special Features:
- Fantastic find!AnnieCDined on 9/6/2014We are always looking for a quite restaurant to dine with friends and Gary's on Spring was perfect, the food was amazing, highly recommend the hot brown app! The outdoor dining space and bar were beautiful. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Off the beaten pathfromLouisvilleVIPDined on 8/30/2014But very worth it! Food outstanding, friendly and knowledgeable server, lovely ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinner!ASpotinKYDined on 8/30/2014We were at Gary's on Saturday night. Greg the manager was very accommodating in regards to getting us a table for 6. Service was great, Selena and John took great care of us. Brought 4 relatives with us who had never been to Gary's and they all loved the place. Even the picky eating teenager was happy! After a great meal we went upstairs to the bar and had yet another great experience. Titus and the bar crew took good care of us and made us feel so welcome. Great way to end the evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love21CLove21cDined on 8/30/2014I was excited about the menu but found the food we ordered was overstated and heavy. The meatballs were really browned? The Oyster Rockefeller appetizer was so overly "bacon" and with the sauce, it was a insult to the oyster. Pork tenderloin, ok. Salmon, ok. Lobster bisque nothing great, lobster garnish tasted like it was left in lemon too long. Overall two stars are for excellent service and loved the upstairs dining area.
- Great place!SpecialVIPDined on 8/29/2014It is hard to make a choice of a dinner. Everything is SO good! 2nd floor with bar is vibrant, and the al fresco dining/drinking is relaxing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gary's fine dining but not stuffyBDPKYDined on 8/29/2014Very nice atmosphere. We were upstairs where the floors were carpeted and noise levels were reasonable and you could hold a good conversation. The food was fabulous in particular the Lobster Bisque and the Oysters Rockefeller. Prices were very reasonable for both food & drink and the service was exceptional. We can't wait to go back and try more dishes.Special Features:
- Good food and serviceMommaGramsDined on 8/27/2014Nice relaxing atmosphere with very good food and service. The server was attentive without being over powering.Special Features:
- Love Gary's!GFJTHDined on 8/22/2014Gary's on Spring is rapidly becoming one of my favorite restaurants. The food is consistently great. Servers are personable, professional and knowledgeable. The wine list is extensive and offers many reasonably priced wines as well as plenty of higher end wines. The outdoor patio is shaded as it is under an upstairs deck. It's easy to get to and there's plenty of parking, either in their lot or on the streets. See why it's becoming one of my favorites?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Chef rocks!SpiffyDined on 8/21/2014The food was stellar and the chef rocks! Thanks for an amazing dinner Harold!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/16/2014Burgers are always good, crab bisque good. I would not order a steak...the steak is a bit over-priced for what it is. Rest of the food is always good and service is good.Special Features:
- Great Food. Long waitShnowdadDined on 8/16/2014The food was wonderful , but we had too wait a long time with a reservation. Also had to wait too long for the food. Will have to think about returning?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.