Gary's on Spring
204 South Spring Street
Louisville, KY 40206Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Gary's on Spring
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://garysonspring.com/
- Phone: 5025845533
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, International
- Executive Chef: Harold Baker
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Parties up to 24 can have a secluded area in the upstairs bar. Larger parties can either have most of the main dining room, or full patio with weather permitting.
- Private Party Contact: Greg Fearing 5024357723
- Entertainment: Jazz outside when weather permitting.
A word from Gary's on Spring
Gary's on Spring is a casual fine dining restaurant set in a two story brick building built in 1885. We have dining on the main floor with a walk-out covered patio. Moving upstairs you will find a bar/lounge with couches and exposed brick walls, accompanied by an open air deck to enjoy alfresco cocktails and dining.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
Gary's on Spring - Best Restaurants in Downtown Louisville ›
Gary's on Spring reviews from OpenTable diners
115 reviews since May 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (68)fit for foodies (65)great for outdoor dining (60)special occasion (60)romantic (41)notable wine list (31)good for groups (18)late-night find (5)great for brunch (5)hot spot (4)vibrant bar scene (3)great for lunch (3)scenic view (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Excellent food and great service4specialtimesDined on 9/20/2014Very friendly staff with excellent tasting and large variety of entrees.Special Features:
- TAS1159Dined on 9/13/2014Gary's is an outstanding restaurant and a wonderful place to spend time with special people. Gary always greets you at the door and makes you feel as if you are very special to him and his business. Highly recommended!Special Features:
- So-SoOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/13/2014The food for the price could have been better. One person at the table was even saying the food was not warm enough.Special Features:
- Disappointing....againCindyWVIPDined on 9/12/2014We visit this restaurant occasionally hoping that food quality has improved. It has an attractive décor, mostly good wait staff, and some items on the menu are interesting. On this occasion, we were a table of 4 and two of ordered the grouper. The fish was incredibly overcooked. We chipped off the dark brown potato crust to find dry and hard grouper - basically inedible. The other two diners ordered steak, one the special filet with "Oscar" treatment. On this dish, the crab was we're not sure what variety, but it was tasteless and dry. The other steak, ordered medium rare, arrived well-done but was quickly replaced with the correct dish. Our server was the high point! Bottom line: unless you're in the neighborhood, don't bother.
- Great food and even better service!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/12/2014Our dinner was fantastic. He had the filet with the chicken and lobster and I had the special, filet with crab. Both were amazing. Our server was extremely nice and very attentive. Couldn't have asked for a more perfect dinner to celebrate my fiancé's birthday.Special Features:
- Good With Live Entertainmentjimb425Dined on 9/10/2014Enjoyed the whole experience. Live entertainment on Wednesday night is frosting on the cake, trio was excellent and unique. Worth the drive.Special Features:
- Fantastic find!AnnieCDined on 9/6/2014We are always looking for a quite restaurant to dine with friends and Gary's on Spring was perfect, the food was amazing, highly recommend the hot brown app! The outdoor dining space and bar were beautiful. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Off the beaten pathfromLouisvilleVIPDined on 8/30/2014But very worth it! Food outstanding, friendly and knowledgeable server, lovely ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinner!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/30/2014We were at Gary's on Saturday night. Greg the manager was very accommodating in regards to getting us a table for 6. Service was great, Selena and John took great care of us. Brought 4 relatives with us who had never been to Gary's and they all loved the place. Even the picky eating teenager was happy! After a great meal we went upstairs to the bar and had yet another great experience. Titus and the bar crew took good care of us and made us feel so welcome. Great way to end the evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love21CLove21cDined on 8/30/2014I was excited about the menu but found the food we ordered was overstated and heavy. The meatballs were really browned? The Oyster Rockefeller appetizer was so overly "bacon" and with the sauce, it was a insult to the oyster. Pork tenderloin, ok. Salmon, ok. Lobster bisque nothing great, lobster garnish tasted like it was left in lemon too long. Overall two stars are for excellent service and loved the upstairs dining area.
- Great place!OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/29/2014It is hard to make a choice of a dinner. Everything is SO good! 2nd floor with bar is vibrant, and the al fresco dining/drinking is relaxing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gary's fine dining but not stuffyBDPKYDined on 8/29/2014Very nice atmosphere. We were upstairs where the floors were carpeted and noise levels were reasonable and you could hold a good conversation. The food was fabulous in particular the Lobster Bisque and the Oysters Rockefeller. Prices were very reasonable for both food & drink and the service was exceptional. We can't wait to go back and try more dishes.Special Features:
- Good food and serviceMommaGramsDined on 8/27/2014Nice relaxing atmosphere with very good food and service. The server was attentive without being over powering.Special Features:
- Love Gary's!GFJTHDined on 8/22/2014Gary's on Spring is rapidly becoming one of my favorite restaurants. The food is consistently great. Servers are personable, professional and knowledgeable. The wine list is extensive and offers many reasonably priced wines as well as plenty of higher end wines. The outdoor patio is shaded as it is under an upstairs deck. It's easy to get to and there's plenty of parking, either in their lot or on the streets. See why it's becoming one of my favorites?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Chef rocks!SpiffyDined on 8/21/2014The food was stellar and the chef rocks! Thanks for an amazing dinner Harold!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/16/2014Burgers are always good, crab bisque good. I would not order a steak...the steak is a bit over-priced for what it is. Rest of the food is always good and service is good.Special Features:
- Great Food. Long waitShnowdadDined on 8/16/2014The food was wonderful , but we had too wait a long time with a reservation. Also had to wait too long for the food. Will have to think about returning?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NOISYkmflanDined on 8/16/2014this was our first visit...it was very busy due to having a great review in our local paper. However when I made the reservations I noted we were celebrating a wedding anniversary and wanted a quiet table...well it was so noisy one could not have a conversation at all.......and no note of the special occasion was made....but again they were busy. On the plus side the oysters were outstanding and the entrees ok too...the service was excellent...the wine list reasonable...just the noise...yikes. If I come back again it will be during the week..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DebbieDined on 8/16/2014Great food. Loved my vegetable plate! Really like the first course/small plates idea too. But noise level/hustle bustle on 2nd floor in front of bar made for a less than stellar dining experience. Constant traffic next to our table was frustrating.
- Great food with great friends.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/16/2014We have been to Gary's several times and have always had a great experience. So when we had friends in from out of town we knew right where to take them. The service was great, food was amazing, and our friends were very impressed. Of course the Titus Lemon Drop was a hit!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dining experienceBostonfoodieDined on 8/16/2014Enjoyed dinner immensely. My scallops were perfectly prepared and very fresh. Service was attentive without being overbearing. Will go back again for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a GREAT place!!dani2176Dined on 8/15/2014It was a amazing place with good food and good drink! Our waiter Justin was very attentive and was always asking us of we were okay of id we needed anything. The Manger came over and checked on us. I will be going back when I'm in LouisvilleSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NoisyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/14/2014There were two large groups in the dining room, and the noise level became intolerant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LOVE THE WINE LIST!FOODIEODined on 8/13/2014PARKING WAS EASY, SHORT WALK TO DOOR. WE WERE GREETED A THE DOOR BY GREG, THE MANAGER, WHO WAS VERY FRIENDLY AND OFFERED US OPTIONS FOR SEATING. WE RALLY APPRECIATED BEING OFFERED A CHOICE - WE WANTED TO HAVE SOME QUIET CONVERSATION. OUR SERVER, TITUS LIBERIUS, WAS FRIENDLY AND INFORMATIVE. THE WINE LIST HAD MY FAVORITE WINE - CAKEBREAD CHARDONNY! MY COMPANION HAD A HOUSE COCKTAIL CALLED "JUSTIFIED" SERVED WITH A BURBON BARREL SWIZZLE STICK..SINCE WE LOVED THE TV SERIES - IT WAS A MUST- HAVE FOR US POTATO ENCUSTED GROUPER WAS EXCELLENT, CEASAR SALAD WAS TERRIFIC.. THE BEST DRESSING EVER. WE FINISHED WITH THE CREME BRULEE AND COFFEE WITH FRANJELLICA.. ONE OF THE BEST DINING EXPERIENCES WE HAVE HAD IN A LONG TIME IN LOUISVILLE..Special Features:
- CHEF HAROLD BAKER IN DA' HOUSEdandryphotoVIPDined on 8/12/2014Coming off a recent 4 Star Dining Review (out of a possible 4 stars in the Courier-Journal) Chef Harold Baker and his kitchen staff are riding the same wave of excellence they have been creating since Garys On Spring opened. With Veteran GM Greg Fearing along with Proprietor Guy Sutcliffe presiding over the front of the house, this combination make for a true Trifecta on a nightly basis. Gary's and the people who work there are pros and what they do make this hidden gem a one of a kind Foodie destination.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dining experienceFoodloverDined on 8/11/2014This was our first dining experience at Gary's. Every course was well prepared and an excellent presentation. My wife had the potato encrusted grouper and I had a scallop special. Our server, Selena, was very friendly and knowledgable of the various dishes. She remained very attentive of our meal status, never rushing but ready to remove empty plates and offering other amenities as potentially needed. An top notch first experience with restaurant and one I will look forward to repeating in the future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- jceavk6Dined on 8/9/2014Gary's on Spring is an excellent restaurant! The food is wonderful. The service is great. Gary's on Spring atmosphere is cozy and intimate. It is a good choice for a romantic dinner or dinner with friends.Special Features:
- ??LadyjDined on 8/9/2014We were celebrating a birthday and the birthday person ordered the salmon. He said it was great and it looked delicious. One person had the pork, one the spinach salad, and one had the fish sandwich, the best kept secret on the menu! The tomato on the fish sandwich was deep red and garden ready to eat. The spinach salad, as the check said, "garden to table" fresh and really good, dressing and all. The waiter was very attentive and helpful. He even offered to take the food that was boxed up to my cousin's car because she uses a walker. We were delighted to share the birthday person's free Turtle Cake, a favorite of mine, and gooey yummy! Two ordered some wine and we all had a nice celebration! Gary came to the door and thanked us!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- horrible servicedinerpmDined on 8/8/2014Possibly the most disorganized restaurant I have ever been. It took over an hour on Friday night to get a drink. About an hour and fifteen minutes to order an appetizer. Some of our guests didn't even have menus when the waiter finally asked for our dinner order. The managers there did nothing to improve our experience. in fact, when a different table complained about their horrible service the manager argued with them. The food was actually good but the overall experience will stop me from every thinking about returning.
- A Birthday dinnerElaineDined on 8/8/2014The restaurant has a small first floor where we sat, because of the hard surfaces all around it was very loud. Good for the restaurant because that means it was crowded, but not so good for me. I had the oysters which I could not find one oyster in the dish, a little heavy on the spinach, more oysters please. The salad with strawberries was delicious. The chicken dish had too too much going on, lighten up on the stuff piled on top. The sea scallops with pasta was delicious as was the strawberry mousse slice for dessert. If I go back I am going for the steak, simple, simple steak. My suggestion to the chef would be to par down the complexities a bit and offer a more defined taste, not so muddy. Had a good time though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- livtoeatDined on 8/8/2014Mixed reactions from table of four. Burger and grouper dishes were fine. Salmon entree passed muster although not cooked to diner's request. Lamb entree was disappointing both in flavor and preparation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 8/7/2014one server for the entire upstairs. Service very slow and many mistakes. DissappointedSpecial Features:
- danbarDined on 8/2/2014Excellent overall dinning experience. Definitely Four StarSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding Dining ExperienceTheAltensDined on 8/2/2014I found this restaurant on Open Table, looking for a new place to take my wife on “date-night”. The entire experience was exhilarating. From the moment you walk in, you can immediately sense the professionalism of the staff, the ambiance of the facility and the intoxicating aroma drifting from the kitchen. Our waitress was extremely knowledgeable of the menu, wine pairings, specials for the night, and attending to our needs in a timely manner. The food was outstanding – perfectly cooked and seasoned. I had the steak, my wife the Salmon. I will admit, I was slightly jealous of her selection. This is a perfect place for anyone looking to venture out from the typical locations in Louisville. We will certainly be back.Special Features:
- Nice environmentNounrealisticexpectationsDined on 7/31/2014We went with a group of 6, sat upstairs on the deck. Very comfortable seating and decent view. The service staff was great however there was a very long wait for our drinks. Very long wait of 1 hour for our appetizers in which 1 was missing and another the wrong item. The burger was great, however was missing the bacon that I paid extra for. Wine was half off which of course was great. The other meals.. Very busy.. A lot of unnecessary items and the grouper was a bit extra fishy, not in a good way. Great for apps and wine.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/26/2014the night that we were there it was extremely hot in the building. i don't know if the a/c was working properly. we just wanted to eat and get out. the food was good , but just could not enjoy it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Groceries at Gary'sOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/26/2014With so many options for quality dining in Louisville, it's not hard to find great food. That's also true at Gary's. Went with a group if 8. Everyone loved the food -- Earth, Wind, and Sea was fantastic, as were the Oysters Rockefeller, Shrimp and Grits, and everything else we ordered. Great, attentive service. We will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Kicker1Dined on 7/25/2014Outstanding and inventive food! Very personal service, as host and owner converse with patrons during the evening. Seafood focus, but filet mignon was cooked perfectly. We will be back!Special Features:
- Gary's was great!WillBbackDined on 7/21/2014We celebrated inside, upstairs with Titus. Champagne and crab cakes were excellent. Gary stopped by early and late. Organic salads were sweet and fruity. Blackened scallops with pasta were my favorite. Earth Wind and Sea combination was different... Turtle caramel cake was very good, should have asked to be warmed. Wine list extensive with reasonable pricing to exotic. Gary's staff is excellent! A fine celebration.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- foodholen1Dined on 7/19/2014had the oysters rockerfeller for an app and then had the scallops...the meal was great and service was spot onSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.