Garrett Hill Ale House
157 Garrett Ave
Bryn Mawr, PA 19010Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Garrett Hill Ale House
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.garretthillalehouse.com/
- Phone: (610) 519-0500
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch/Brunch: Sunday: 11:00am -4:00pm; Dinner: Daily: 4:00pm - 10:00pm;
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Nuwan Chaminda
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Garrett Hill Ale House
The Garrett Hill Ale House provides top-quality selections in a casual neighborhood tavern atmosphere. Start with something from our full-service bar featuring more than 100 unique craft beers, wine or liquor. Then choose from our mouthwatering menu selections including featured items like the Queso Fundido to start, or the Quad of Sliders that includes Duck Confit, Braised Short Rib, and our Grass-fed Beef Burger. Sundays we offer a full brunch menu starting at 11a.m. featuring our very own BeerMosas. We also feature beer dinners and Meet the Brewer night.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Garrett Hill Ale House reviews from OpenTable diners
4 reviews since July 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.8Noise LevelEnergetic
neighborhood gem (2)good for groups (1)fit for foodies (1)Show More
- hossDined on 10/25/2014the food came out of the kitchen hot. Very good beer selection on tap and bottles. Great service alsoSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 33 reviews are from the Garrett Hill Ale House reviews archive.
- Garrett hillLizanneDined on 6/14/2014The place was empty which was fortunate for seating however the food was long in arriving. Food was just "ok" but the vanilla crunch cake was awesome. No unsweetened ice tea so booze or sugary soda as options for beverages.
- Good beer & foodRSVPVIPDined on 6/10/2014Service was prompt, food selection & quality were good. Liked their select-your-own-beer flights. Very reasonable pricing. I would just turn down the sound level of the music/TV. We had the mussels (traditional), scallops for apps, Mediterranean salad, meatloaf for entrees. All were wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good little neighborhood jointOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/6/2014Nice restaurant, food was solid and service was good!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and beerSpiceymeg77VIPDined on 6/5/2014We have dined here many times and love the food and beer choices. The service the other night was not the best...no plates with our appetizer (a dip and chips) which made for a mess on the table and then we used our napkins as plates and for a little clean up....messy and had to wait until we were done eating before anyone came back so we could get another napkin. Dessert also came without napkins...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It was OKOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/4/2014Went during Phila Beer Week. Enjoyed a couple flights of some good draft beer. Ordered a couple small plates and an appetizer. All we good, but not great.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice neighborhood bar/restaurantTastyDined on 5/11/2014Interesting beer selection, better than average bar food, good service, friendly atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always GoodOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/9/2014We are weekly customers and always have a great meal. The casual atmosphere is perfect for Garrett Hill.Special Features:
- Great spotAngieDined on 5/2/2014First time to eat there. Great neighborhood find. Delicious, interesting food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious food, great beers on tapHipsterFoodieVIPDined on 4/19/2014I went here with a friend on Saturday night and it wasn't too busy so the service was very attentive. Not sure what it will be like when it's busy seeing as they only had 2 servers. We got the original mussels and the duck egg rolls to share. They were delicious! We ordered another side of bread to dip in the mussel broth. Yummy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service non-existentFordfoodieDined on 3/22/2014Showed up for our reservation at 8PM on a Saturday night. Stood at the entrance for almost 10 minutes, waiting for someone to at least acknowledge us. Didn't happen, so we left....... I rated the food a 3, since other reviewers thought it was good. Sadly, I will never know.
- GREAT Food and Service.....LuvVictoryDined on 3/15/2014The food has been exceptional on all occasions we have visited. Beer selection is also great...lots of craft beers on draft! They are always very welcoming and also accomodate any requests for food/drinks. Only drawback is the parking....very limited parking available. But would highly recommend the restaurant....food, drinks and service far outweigh the parking dilemma!!!Special Features:
- A hidden secretRickDined on 3/1/2014The specials are delishous. the regular menu is just as good . Friendly staffSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, bad serviceAlexDined on 1/18/2014I've eaten at the Garrett Hill Ale house before, but it was not during it's busy time.Apparently, you should not come in the evenings since their kitchen cannot keep up with the food orders, even though it is not a very large place.This would have been fine with my group if our waitress was attentive and checked on us to make sure we had enough to drink. Regardless of running out of beer, I ran out of water and finally had to get up to ask the waitress to get me some more. On top of this, our waitress knew nothing of the beer menu and could not offer opinions. She also tried to pawn certain beers off as being "pretty much the same thing." I'm sure she was new, but I would expect her to at least have the training to get someone who did know.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Craft Beers galoreB2lunchVIPDined on 1/11/2014This place has a HUGH collection of craft beers (on tap and in the bottle). The food selection was very good - from the mussels as an appetizer to beet salad follwed by variety of main dishes - Bon appétit! Our waitress was very helpful and very knowledgeable. We would just mention what our taste buds were looking for and she would suggest a beer and we would agree and then she'd bring it out. The beer was always very pleasing. The four of us had a great evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice neighborhood placefoodieforeverDined on 12/7/2013Friendly local pub with a more upscale menu. Food is uneven though. Caesar salad was delicious. Mussels were fair.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bar for FoodiesMiniguffVIPDined on 11/25/2013I love this place. They rotate craft beers on tap. Are very good at suggesting beer pairings with your food or mood. I love the food. It is not your standard bar food. The food is very well prepared and has a beautiful presentation. It is a casual bar scene with the taste of a 333 Belrose restaurant. If your looking for cheesesteaks and cheap beer, this is not your place. They have wine also.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 11/15/2013Great neighborhood spot. Great pub food, but hit a night with slow service. Large beer/ale selection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Were we surprised!MaureenDined on 10/11/2013It was far better than we expected in our first visit. The food was great, unusually prepared in very pleasant ways. Service was attentive but they realized we were there to talk and respected that. Great beer list and the wings appetizer was wonderful. It was very cozy and felt like a great neighborhood spot. They had a live performer who was good but it did up the noise level. If we weren't in to heavily catching up, it would have been more of a treat. I wasn't sure where to park...there are a number of competing establishments at the corner but found street parking a half block away. I will definitely try it for brunch. If it is half as good it will be great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- beer pairingnoreasonneededDined on 10/4/2013GHAH looks like a real find, neighborhood pub feel, good beer selection, gastro good menu. Some dishes were well executed. Service was very poor. Slow, inattentive, and actually unfriendly. We will try once more.
- Delicious casual brunchmltwDined on 9/22/2013We all enjoyed our brunch, especially the creamy polenta served with the egg dishes. It was cozy, casual, with Sunday football on behind the scenes. The service was great. Excellent choice of beers and we loved the recommendation made by our waitress for the seasonal pumpkin beer. We decided we needed to make it a regular Sunday destination.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brunch just okCBS2013Dined on 9/22/2013Very surprised this restaurant was voted best brunch in Bryn Mawr. It just doesn't make the transition from beer bar to brunch spot.
- Decent Bar Food in the NeighborhoodFrankRVIPDined on 9/21/2013Had a nice dinner with the wife Saturday night. I had a 4-beer sampler and it was only $7. My luck that a few that i wanted had run out (on tap) but there were many other selections to choose from. We had an artichoke dip for an appetizer. It was pretty soupy but tasty nonetheless. We both had burgers for dinner. They are ENORMOUS. I think it was a meatloaf in disguise on a roll. However to have a large / thick burger be cooked inside the way you want and not charred on the outside shows they know what they're doing back in the kitchen. If i'm in the mood for some good bar food and a nice beer selection just 10 minutes from home it's certainly on the list of places to consider.Special Features:
- Loved it!OpenTable Diner Since 2000VIPDined on 9/7/2013Two of us for dinner and drinks. We were initially interested for all the craft brews and hoped the food was as good. We were extremely surprised with the food - excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Gastro pub. SomethingOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 5/10/2013Great Gastro pub. Something in the diner menu for everyone in the family. Extensive craft beer list. Will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best craft beer houseLatinLegalChefVIPDined on 5/8/2013This place has an incredible selection of beer and an amazing five star menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- .50 for a slice of bread.foodieDined on 4/28/2013My first time here was for a hppy hour with my group and we liked it so we returned. Second time, and last,we went for restaurant week $20 dollar dinner. We did not expect much for $20, however, even though the place was EMPTY, we were rushed to leave,and we left hungry. The "mushroom ravioli" was not ravioli, but 4 pot stickers that you get at an asian restaurant for 1/2 the price. On their menu,they are $15.00!. This was an appetizer, not a dinner. The people that ordered fish were given a very small portion, perhaps 2 ounces. We asked for bread because we were hungry, and were charged 50 cents a slice! We asked why, and were told they don't usually serve bread.We did not feel welcomed, nor appreciated,so we will not be back.
- We had a very nice dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/27/2013We had a very nice dinner however there were only 3 staff members working and they had to cover the entire restaurant. They did an admirable job but the management should try and ensure that doesn't happen again. Otherwise everything was lovely.
- Only for the BeerOpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 4/24/2013A group of us went for Main Line restaurant week and the food was sub par at best. Aside from the great service, the only think that Garrett Hill Alehouse had going for it was its beer selection. It had tons of craft beers that were all reasonably priced. I would recommend this place as a good beer bar, but the food is overpriced for the quality.Special Features:
- The alehouse is a great neighborhooOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/22/2013The alehouse is a great neighborhood restaurant and bar with high quality food that's affordable and delicious. Service is great. Friendly staff with a wide knowledge of different beers. Menus come with recommended drink pairings. All in all an excellent choice that fills a void on the mainline.Special Features:
- We went on a Saturday night.MBF22VIPDined on 4/20/2013We went on a Saturday night. The bar was packed and very loud. Although there was a defined seperation between the bar and the dinning room, we were able to hear everything. The music was loud and the bar was very loud. The TV's in both rooms and music didn't help. The lights were so brite it didn't feel like a "tavern" at all. The staff (the one lone waitress) was very friendly and helpfully although she was clearly overwhelmed. She made a point of telling me the bus boy quit the night before and she was all alone. On a good note, the food was amazing! I just wish the food and the chef matched the atmosphere.Special Features:
- dining at the Ale HouseOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/20/2013Have been there twice now, once for brunch on Sunday and now also for dinner. The chef is WONDERFUL. He creates very unusual dishes and I feel like I have discovered a real neighborhood treasure ! Are you open for lunch any other day, other than Sunday ? We will keep coming back, best food around !!!!!Special Features:
- Great beer destinationOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/16/2013We really came here for the beer, but it's great to discover a corner pub with really good food too. It's not a large menu, but everything we ordered was beautifully prepared and the service was fast and courteous. Finding a new and really good beer bar on the Philly Main Line is always a pleasant surprise. This isn't downtown or Manayunk where high class beer is everywhere, so the Garrett Hill AH is definitely a very welcome addition. They have some interesting beers on tap and have a very respectable bottle list. Chatting with the bartenders, it's clear they are serious about beer. Excellent!Special Features:
- Service was slow at first,OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 3/2/2013Service was slow at first, took 35 min for drinks to be served. However, once the matter was brought to the attention of our waiter, it was quickly resolved. Good food. Great local place to grab a bite to eat.Special Features: