Gardens of Taxco
1113 N. Harper Ave
West Hollywood, CA 90046Neighborhood:
MexicanPrice: $30 and under
Gardens of Taxco
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://thegardensoftaxco.com/
- Phone: 3236541746
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday, Tuesday - Thursday: 4:30pm - 11:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 4:30pm - 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mexican
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Beer, Delivery, Entertainment, Happy Hour, Late Night, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Have the Gardens of Taxco cater your next event!
Catering available from 20-2000 guests.
- Private Party Facilities: The Gardens of Taxco's private room can accommodate your party of 15 to 35 guests for any occasion. Log on to our website for Private Room FAQ.
- Private Party Contact: Carmen 8184894647
- Entertainment: Our strolling guitarist, Jaime Pacheco, will transport your party to Mexico City with his boleros and traditional Latin repertoire.
A word from Gardens of Taxco
Since 1971, The Gardens of Taxco has built its reputation on consistently providing the best Mexico-City Style Cuisine in Los Angeles. Your unique five course dining experience begins when your menu is presented verbally; combining details about the entrees with colorful signature sayings such as ‘born in the sauce’ and ‘Not hot, spicy’. The understated decor and festive atmosphere will transport you to a fine home in Mexico City.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Gardens of Taxco reviews from OpenTable diners
10 reviews since June 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (8)romantic (5)neighborhood gem (5)good for groups (4)fit for foodies (3)late-night find (2)hot spot (2)kid-friendly (1)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Excellent Food & Servicezeke00Dined on 6/26/2014The food is excellent, just be prepared to listen to the menu because there is no printed menu. It is special menu, though.Special Features:
- Traditional MexicanGourmetVIPDined on 6/15/2014Home style cooking, no written menu. Come hungry, because ALL courses are included. Even dessert Sherry with the dessert. I would die for that recipe!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great as alwaysBrivisionDined on 6/15/2014It Tastes like the chicken was "BORN IN THE SAUCE!!!" I've been coming here since 1978. The food is always great. Not your normal Mexican taco enchilada place. It is a 6 course meal with Great choices of Beef, Chicken, and Shrimp. My favorite is the combo of Chicken "LA CREMA" and shrimp Cilantro. Yummm! The service is always great. There are 8 waiters and it seems like all of them wait on you hand and foot. Great Sangria and Wine Margaritas that never taste like a traditional "Wine" Margarita. Jaime the strolling guitarist has been there for 40 years and sings songs to you and your group on request. It really is "The Best" and I can't wait to go back again A+++Special Features:
- A fine traditionLucky13VIPDined on 6/3/2014Food is reliable. Multiple courses haven't changed for years for better or worse. Everything is good; nothing great. but just as important, nothing bad. But not the healthies of options and not many choices if your vegetarian or vegan. Almost too much food. But as a historic landmark, hearing the menus recited, it's worth a trip every few years.
- The following 210 reviews are from the Gardens of Taxco reviews archive.
- So so.TheMexicanDined on 5/11/2014The good wasn't as good as I thought it would be, and small portions. The drinks were not good. Chelada was weak. Could've had a better taste. But the service was good. The servers were on point. Oh! The one thing that I thought was really good, was the albondigas.Special Features:
- DisappointedjtsfvDined on 5/5/2014I've enjoyed dinner at the Gardens of Taxco a number of times, but they were overwhelmed on my last visit. We had to wait 35 minutes for our reservation, and the service was not good. My family was in from out of town, and the experience was very disappointing.
- love this placefinerthingslaDined on 5/2/2014favorite place to have birthday parties, the waiters are hilarious, the wine-based margs are really tasty and inexpensive, and you get 5 courses of half-way decent mexican food (The entree by far being the best item you'll be served) for just $30.Special Features:
- Great Margaritas & FoodRobertDined on 4/18/2014Just another good experience at one of my favorite places. Their unique margaritas are fabulous. Their food is delicious and plentiful as I usually take home a doggie box.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Weho GemFoodieShoneramaDined on 4/13/2014The food at Gardens of Taxco is excellent and the service is a joy. There is no menu and the waiter gives an excellent explanation of their culinary delights. They serve Mexico City style food. Excellent chicken mole and a very good cilantro Jalapeno shrimp. Basically you can't go wrong with your order here. This place has a fantastic homey feel and is always a ton of fun! The mariachi also adds to the ambiance.Special Features:
- ReviewCaptainDined on 4/12/2014Had a great time. Good and service outstanding. Had been 20 years since my last visit. Mised the musicians that once visited the tables. Still, best experience ever. Thank you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- margaritasOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/5/2014Love the margaritas.....but they can creep up on you;-)!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reservations? Don't bother.brooksieDined on 3/28/2014We had our choice of reservations - 8, 815, 830 on a Friday night for 6 - so we picked the later time. We arrived at 815 so we waited - outside, under awful fluorescent lighting - and waited and waited and finally ended up getting seated at 915. Did they give us a drink on the house? No. An appetizer while we waited? Nope. Nothing. And not so much as an apology was issued from the incredibly unfriendly host. And the food, when it finally came, was mediocre at best. Never again.
- ImpressedBritDined on 3/28/2014The food is so good I love this place and I tell everyone I know to come eat here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, great place!JonAndLeslieDined on 3/9/2014I went to the restaurant for the first time probably in 1983, and it was a fairly regular destination for 6 or 7 years until I moved from the area. I returned there with family the other night, and the place hadn't changed a bit, and I mean that in a good way! The menu and delicious food were the same, and Jaime the strolling guitar player is still there, and still making people smile. It's not fancy or elegant or trendy, never was, but dining there is magic nonetheless. Prices aren't cheap, but not expensive either. I felt that our meals and drinks were a good value. The menu is recited in a colorful way, and the regulars enjoy saying it along with the server! #likethechickenwasBORRRNinthesauceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this place!Saml84VIPDined on 3/8/2014I couldn't give it 5 stars overall because, it was my birthday and I made the reservation 3 weeks in advance. We had to wait 30 minutes for our table, which isn't right. It was also uncomfortably hot to the point where we were sweating. It took a very long time to get a waiters attention, but once we were settled in everything was great. The food is fabulous and I love the ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still great neighborhood restaurantExLAlocalDined on 3/1/2014After being gone from LA for many years I return to one of my favorite restaurants….The menu was the same (which is good) and the family that owned it is still there. This made for a fun night with friends. We also had children and they loved that the menu was "spoken" to us with a fun rhyme and the same guitar player from years ago was still there singing to the tables:) A must for every return trip!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/15/2014It was a good place to eat but the only thing I didn't like there was no menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very goodGeobad11VIPDined on 2/13/2014I've been to Taxco plenty of times and have always been satisfied. The food is always good and plentiful. I always make sure I come with an empty stomach, because the food is very good and you get plenty of it...5 courses worth. Awesome! However, I think this night was an off night. The service was so bad. We were seated, but no one took our drink order. We tried to hail down a waiter to order, but it was as though they were ignoring us. It was a good 15 minutes before someone came and took our drink order. Finally they took our food order. It was still hard to get service, but the food was good. I'll chalk this evening out to a bad/off night for the restaurant. The service is usually good, this night was substandard.Special Features:
- An ExperienceDawnzoDined on 1/18/2014Gardens of Taxco provides an amazing Mexico City-style dining experience that is so much more than just a good meal. The spoken menu, mariachi, numerous courses, and fantastic pitchers of sangria (or whatever you prefer) always make for a memorable and amazing night. I've never been disappointed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Some Things Don't Change...PimientaDined on 1/4/2014....and at the Gardens of Taxco that is a good thing. I have been dining at the Gardens of Taxco for nearly 40 years and it is always consistently good. The menu, the format, the decor are all virtually unchanged from the 1970's when dining at a Mexican restaurant was a novelty in Los Angeles. Another consistent joy is the strolling musician, Jaime, who has been serenading diners for 41 years with his guitar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Profits over serviceDindinloverDined on 12/31/2013On NYE my BF and I waited about and hour and a half to get seated even with a reservation. It was very upsetting how groups arriving after us getting seated faster. This restaurant had very few tables designated for couples. Their objective was to cram as many people as possible to tables and therefore bypassing my boyfriend and I when a small tables opened up. What was supposed to be a pleasant turned very sour in disappointment. Unfortunately it was too late to go to another restaurant. By the time we got seated, they had limited menu items as they had ran out of certain foods. The restaurant was understaffed and definitely unprepared for a big night such as NYE.Special Features:
- What a gem!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/31/2013I found this restaurant on Google. I wanted a place in the Hollywood area that had a fairly early time for a New Year's Eve reservation, as my dad and I had tickets to the Rose Bowl Parade and game the next day. What a wonderful restaurant--great food, ambience, and really fun. The menu that evening was recited by one of the wait-staff with great panache (I think other nights they would have a written menu, but it was a prix-fixe menu that evening). They had a roving guitarist who was AMAZING. I had the pork carnitas, my dad had the carne asado. It was really good food. They do not have a full liquor license, so just beer and wine, but they make a very good wine-based "margarita" drink. I would definitely go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enchiladas salsa verdeOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 12/20/2013Food was great! Best enchiladas I've had in a long time. Appetizers were great too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Happy BirthdayOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/18/2013I celebrated by birthday at Gardens of Taxco and it was an amazing night. I specifically chose the restaurant because it is one of my favorites in LA & several of my friends had not been there so I got to introduce them to it. We had a lot of fun and the staff helped make that happen!Special Features:
- Fun placeGeobad11VIPDined on 12/17/2013First off, the food is so good and the service great. It's a unique experience since there is no menu, just options. The courses come out and each one was delicious. I luv the margs, not the usual, but watch out! Each one really packs a punch! Come hungry...there is so much food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Los Angeles Must-dofabrandtDined on 12/15/2013A great must have Los Angeles experience....a 40 yr. tradition.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!JMarieMacDined on 12/14/2013Gardens of Taxco is amazing! Remember to go with a healthy appetite. Each main course comes with chips/salsa, pickled veggies, two amazing appetizers, abondigas soup & dessert served with sweet wine! Perfect place for a foodie as every single item served is absolutely delicious. The servers are kind and animated!Special Features:
- Love this place.tellyheadDined on 12/10/2013The food is fantastic and it's a fun place to have a group dinner. It's not fancy in any way except the price.It's a little pricey but you do get 4 courses, so I understand. But we do go there for special occasions otherwise we'd go more ofter. It's right in the neighborhood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gardens never disappoints!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 12/5/2013Go hungry, because the size of this meal is no joke. Definitely a big meal for the value. Been coming here for years and it never disappoints! Fun, friendly, family atmosphere. If you're on a diet, this is not the place for you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not your mothers Mexican mealBheaterVIPDined on 11/29/2013Fun throw back to the old days.. bid red booths with the. Us idioms walking around singing and diners singing along!! Fun.. Margaritas are good if you like the only two they serve... sangria is good and they have beer!!! Menu is not for the reading. the staff tells you all about it...e five course meals.. do you want chicken. Fish meat port or what and you discuss.. there way or the highway. with that said friendly and they try to work within hour needs.. If you want Plain American Mexican do not go however.. If you do go fun and so. Inch food... Del,idiots.. Give a try and have funSpecial Features:
- I cannot recommend this restaurant.PatriciaVIPDined on 11/29/2013I cannot recommend this restaurant. They are so lacking in so many areas. No menus...you have to tell the waiter what you want to eat and he tells you what they have. Every time we tried to order something, they did not have it. No hard liquor only beer and wine. Weird margaritas made with fruit juice and wine. You could not order an appetizer or an entree separately. You had to order a full dinner. Once we had started eating, we realized that we had no idea what anything cost. Service was very slow. Never again.
- Unfortunate experience - not goodOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 11/23/2013The hostess had our reservation in her hand on a printed paper from OpenTable when we arrived right on time. Unfortunately, she said she forgot to add us to the list. So, we waited 45 minuets to be seated. Things got worse from there. The three appetizers took 2 hours to bring. So long that when the entrees arrived, we had them boxed up to go. When I mentioned to the food server that food was taking a very long time, he blamed for for not asking that the food come out faster. Save your time and money and go somewhere else. This place is way too expensive for poor, slow service.
- Great Food & MargaritasRobertDined on 11/22/2013You can't beat their early bird special and their delicious margaritas.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- bext TexMex food everLoveSanDiegoDined on 10/26/2013Gardens of Taxco has been my favorite restaurant since 1990! Excellent food, remarkable friendly service, and worth the drive to Los Angeles from San Diego! No menus available, the waiter recites the menu and makes the ordering process fun. The marinated veggies are scrumptious, and the wine margaritas are simply the best ever.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our goto spot for special occasionsMsnessDined on 10/18/2013I first brought my fiancé here last yr for his birthday- it has since become our to to spot for special occasions. We celebrate our birthdays and anniversary here. The food is delicious, the ambience is romantic and it's truly unique. The margaritas are delish and the musician walking around that sings songs reminds me of the restaurants my parents talked about when they we going and in love. I truly recommend this place. Just be sure you book a reservation and arrive early or else you do have to wait at least 20mins for your table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DifferentGoodeatDined on 10/15/2013There are no menus, the choices are basically yelled to you at table side with no options to modify. I asked for healthy options, as I was told on the phone that they had "many healthy choices", but there are really none. The service was poor. We never had full drinks. The patrons around us were verbally complaining as well. There are so many great restaurants in this area, I hate that we wasted one of our nights eating here.
- Always an amazing dinnerAnonVIPDined on 10/9/2013Great customer service and they treat everyone like family. I love going to dinner here!Special Features:
- great placeYoniDined on 9/28/2013Love the food love the atmosphere everyone there nice and courtesious. We definitely come back and highly recommend this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My favorite restaurantLiliDined on 9/26/2013The food is always so delicious & the service is flawless. Every time I go, it is a treat and it love to take new people to experience it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Each visit is better than the last!SirGoodfoodDined on 9/13/2013Took some friends how hadn't been there. Showed up early to enjoy the refreshing margaritas. Our favorite musician was there the servers greeted us like family, provided excellent service and we had some laugh's. My friend who is no slouch in the kitchen loved it so much he invited us over the next day to sample his version of the Taxco margarita. Let's just say he gets an "A" for effort. Over all another memorable evening with great food and company at the Gardens of Taxco.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.