Gardens of Avila Restaurant
1215 Avila Beach Dr.
San Luis Obispo, CA 93405Neighborhood:
San Luis Obispo
CalifornianPrice: $30 and under
Gardens of Avila Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.sycamoresprings.com/gardens-of-avila.php
- Phone: 8055957302x
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Daily 8:00am - 2:00pm
Lunch: Daily 8:00am - 2:00pm
Bar and Lounge: 3pm-9pm
Dinner: Daily 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Organic, Fusion / Eclectic, Californian
- Executive Chef: Gregg Wangard
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: We offer catering by our Gardens Restaurant onsite in our banquet rooms. We offer many dining options, packages and menu choices for parties of 12 or more. Our banquet menus are created to provide a unique dining experience offering local, sustainable and mostly organic ingredients. We offer plated dishes, buffet and family style meals and a variety of seating arrangements designed around your event. Our Event Manager will work with you directly through every step to ensure a memorable dining experience.
- Private Party Facilities: Our event facilities have a wide variety of configurations and settings to meet your specific needs. The Palm Room, which features cathedral ceilings and large windows can accommodate up to 48 guests. With its centerpiece marble fireplace, the adjoining Fireside Room can accommodate up to 32 guests and the Fireside and Palm Rooms together accommodate up to 110.
We also offer our Garden View Room for private parties of 12 and under. Reservations Required through the restaurant.
- Private Party Contact: Rhonda Sims 8055403638x
- Special Events: Private Dinners: Holiday Parties, Birthday and Anniversary Parties
Bridal Showers, Baby Showers
Bar and Bat Mitzvahs
A word from Gardens of Avila Restaurant
The Gardens Restaurant at Sycamore Mineral Springs Resort, a favorite spot for locals as well as travelers, is situated in a beautiful garden setting in the Avila Valley. Savor the flavors of the award-winning contemporary coastal cuisine inspired by the surrounding local wine country.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
- Diners' Choice WinnerSpecial Occasion
Gardens of Avila Restaurant - Best Restaurants in San Luis Obispo ›
Gardens of Avila Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
28 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (18)romantic (15)fit for foodies (14)great for outdoor dining (8)notable wine list (5)great for brunch (4)good for groups (3)neighborhood gem (3)great for lunch (2)late-night find (1)hot spot (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- Amazing Food and ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/15/2014We were sat immediately in a cozy booth. The wait staff was pleasant, knowledgeable and prompt. The Wine selection was very nice, as was the beer selection, and the food was amazing. we were given complimentary tastings from the chef of the plum soup (which was absolutely heaven) and the main course was perfection. My wife had the shortribs, I had the ribeye. we were both pleased. about the only complaint we would have is a very short list of desserts, but all in all, the experience was very nice and we will be back again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Local DiscoverySeeyayaDined on 9/3/2014Last week we had lunch at Gardens, an all around pleasant experience. While small, the lunch menu is original, presenting a fresh approach to the usual middle-of-the-day fare. Two of us ordered the open-face tuna sandwich, made without mayo and served on a delicious dark whole-grain bread. The other two ordered the chicken sandwich on a crunchy bun, both selections were accompanied by lightly dressed greens. Desserts were gorgeously delicious and original. We are delighted to have discovered this lovely spot so close to our home.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great splurge!PasGalDined on 9/2/2014I ate here for dinner while staying at the hotel. It's a field to fork restaurant with a garden near by. Portions are small but satisfying. I had a beet salad, halibut and scallops in coconut lime broth and strawberry shortcake. All delicious, fresh. Service was good. For me, it was expensive - with a glass of wine and coffee about $65 before tip.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worst restaurant experienceGraceDined on 8/31/2014I've never had to walk out of a restaurant.First part of the terrible experience was the wrong appetizer.The waiter did not realize his mistake until I asked him to bring the menu so that I could point out what I had chosen.20 minutes later he brought out the correct appetizer.Then came the entrees.We ordered the ribeye and rack of lamb, both medium rare.Both were well done.We told the server and he took it back.40 minutes later, he brought out the entrees again.The ribeye was raw and the rack of lamb was medium well again.I asked them to make the ribeye medium rare and they actually brought it back well done again!The manager came by and we sent it back.He apologized once but that was it. We paid for the drinks and appetizers and left.
- How Things Have ChangednevercomingbackDined on 8/29/2014We have been dining at Gardens of Avila Restaurant over the last 15 years. Apparently, not all wines on your list are available...a first for me for any restaurant. Service was slow, portions pretended to be special, but as the saying goes....didn't care much for the emperor's new clothes. I would not dine at your restaurant again nor recommend it. Too bad...it used to be a place to dine for special occasions.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/22/2014Chef's tasting menu was well chosen, creative, and offered variety which satisfied both my adventurous palate, and my husband's more cautious one. Very highly recommend this spontaneous, 5 course adventure.Special Features:
- Entrées need more stubstance.dominionDined on 8/6/2014My fiancée and I made reservations for the Gardens at Avila, while staying at Sycamore Hot springs for my 40th birthday. The resort grounds were amazing and the amenities the same. Thinking the restaurant would be similar, we both looked forward to a nice romantic dinner date at a classy restaurant. We both ordered the salmon plate and split a salad between us. The salad was fine in portion as split. When it came to the main course, the salmon, that was pretty much what we got. The plate was nicely dressed, but was devoid of anything other than the fish and a few scattered bits of veggies. Needless to say, the meal was lacking substance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect food, stale ambiancescout88Dined on 8/4/2014The food was delicious and classy: the flavours were balanced and the portions sophisticated. The service was also wonderful, but we were disturbed that the employees were made to wear name tags; it seemed unnecessary and out of context. This is not Dennys! The ambiance was a little clinical. What about some local art and more relaxed music? Overall the dining experience was very good; the food it worth it, but the details could be a little more refined. Kudos to the chef and servers, it's management issues that need attention.Special Features:
- AVILA DINNERTraceyDined on 7/14/2014We thoroughly enjoyed a fabulous dinner. The overall experience from the tasty bread to a caprese salad with watermelon and amazing entrees. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quite DisappointedSLOfoodieDined on 7/3/2014Been here many times before; something just isn't right anymore. The food was sub par, especially for this caliber of restaurant. We ordered a Bento plate; the tuna was almost inedible due to the high salt level and the fish cake was overcooked to a rubbery consistency. Cwere it not for the green papaya slaw, which was tasty, the entire plate would have been a bust. One of us had the sea bass and the other had roasted chicken. The vegetables on both plates were done well. However, the Sea bass was raw in the middle, and the chicken/broccolini were floating in way too much of a heavy cream and butter sauce. The only part of the meal we truly enjoyed were our martinis.
- Very Disappointed!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/24/2014We have enjoyed this restaurant many times in the past, however, this experience was not good. Our food was not properly prepared. We ordered the Ribeye Steak, medium rare and both meals came out medium to medium well. They prepared the meals a second time, the meat was slightly better, but the vegetable was cold, by the time they brought the hot vegetable we were practically finished with the steak. Even though they were not overly busy it still took a long time for our meal to come out the second time. The person we were dining with was completely finished with their meal. So over all it was not a satisfactory experience.
- DinnerToodlesDined on 6/19/2014Food was outstanding. Noise level was very high (couldn't hear anything my husband said) and he was right across the table. and service was poor. Waiter was a bit confused or a little "off". They were out of the 1st three choices my husband ordered. Once again... The food was outstanding.Special Features:
- The following 133 reviews are from the Gardens of Avila Restaurant reviews archive.
- Nice Setting. Bad ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/1/2014My husband and I were vacationing in Pismo Beach for the weekend and picked this restaurant to try for brunch from all of the good reviews on Yelp. I was excited to try it. When we arrived, we were not greeted at the desk. Someone from across the lobby told us to sit anywhere. Nestled in a lovely setting, we decided to dine on their patio. Tables were not set up. Had to send back the coffee because it was ice cold. Food arrived without silverware and we had to request them before we could eat. Never asked us for refill on the coffee. Our waiter seemed extremely disorganized even though there were only a handful of diners. Another female waiter paid more attention to us than ours. Food was good but nothing outstanding.
- Blown away!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/15/2014We had dinner here and it was one of the most amazing meals I've ever had! The server was very knowledgeable and helped with wine selection for each amazing dish. the oysters were very fresh and artistically presented. The main courses were superbly delicious. Absolutely perfect! We had to come back for brunch the next morning and we were impressed once again. We had the French toast and the pancakes which were outstanding, as well as an amazing beet juice that was so good!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mother's Day BrunchnvragainDined on 5/11/2014We were very disappointed with the options for the lunch/brunch. Also listed on the menu but not available chocolate “pot de crème”. The selection of desserts was also poor at best. There were few people there and I can understand why. Last year the Mother's Day Brunch was awesome. This was very disappointing and way overpriced. I would not go back again!
- Needs a little helptry2helpDined on 4/19/2014The food was hit and miss. My Scallop entree was delicious. My wife ordered the short rib entree and it was almost completely void of seasoning. The ambience, or lack there of, felt unfinished. The outdoor patio has a cold stark feel with a grey rock wall and a grey tile floor. They need serious help warming it up with candles, greenery and/or some ext decore. The inside also needs decorative help. The staff was friendly and I could tell they were trying but I felt the restaurant lacked an experienced person at the helm. With a few minor changes the Gardens of Avila could be a real plus for the hotels guests.
- Didn't Deliver on PotentialVickyVIPDined on 4/18/2014Fresh, organic food but not prepared in the best way. Undercooked asparagus along side the overcooked prosciutto made the 63 degree egg less than as wonderful as it could have been. The halibut was also cooked in such a way that it had a hard crust on it that resulted in one mashing the fish when trying to cut it. The scallops were also overdone in my opinion but not as obviously. Tons of potential here with the right menu and fresh ingredients; it just needs better preparation.
- The Gardens Dinner April 13, 2014CribarigalDined on 4/13/2014Ambience is oh so nice - soft lighting, candles, a small center piece of rosemary sprigs, and light conversations enhanced the relaxed atmosphere. Our server Michael was smiling, helpful in making our menu selection. I ordered the short rib of beef which was awesome! My hubbie ordered the ribeye which was very good as well. Small rolls (bacon/cheese & sour dough) were offered with soft creamy butter. Mmmmm... I also ordered a salad of baby beets, winter greens, blood orange, burrata, & fennel pollen. The beets were hard, making them difficult to cut. The greens were a bit thick and tough. Chewing was a chore so I slid the salad across to my husband. We do enjoy our salads & are glad we gave this one a try. We both agreed it was "so-so".Special Features:
- Hidden Gem!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/12/2014Love eating at this place when we go to Sycamore Springs for spa treatments, but would probably come here even if we weren't! Get the Tangerine cheesecake dessert! You won't regret it! I also love anything with their tomato compote in it.Special Features:
- OutstandingTC48VIPDined on 4/7/2014We picked this restaurant based on it's open table reviews and had an outstanding meal. The food looked beautiful and tasted just as good. I rarely take pictures of my dishes, but did here. We had the tuna crudo and octopus appetizers, which were both delicious. Then the halibut entre which was very nice and accompanied by a remarkable black quinoa. Finished with a selection of locally crafted cheeses which were great. Service was excellent - friendly, attentive and knowledgeable. We enjoyed a bottle of Chardonnay from a local winery suggested by the waiter. The atmosphere had a quiet, soothing feeling.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing food, great serviceHnmhDined on 4/4/2014Food here is just top notch, one of the best I ever had. Staff are very nice and welcoming. Totally worth the price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SpecialMamaMomDined on 3/25/2014Our dinner was lovely and delicious. The waiter was quite amusing and knew a lot about food. We received more food than expected and left full and happy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 5 course tasting menu wasOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/22/20145 course tasting menu was AMAZING!!!! Chef's are brilliant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Inconsistent ExperienceSLOEaterVIPDined on 3/22/2014We have had some lovely meals at Gardens of Avila but were disappointed by our recent experience. The food was good but very overpriced. They are without a chef and the kitchen is doing a good job, but the menu needs to be repriced.
- Gardens?SueLosAltosDined on 3/21/2014Our table was in a spot where all we could really see was a stone wall. Since it was evening, that was ok but the hype was about the gardens and our view was surely not romantic or scenic. The meal was excellent and interesting. The fresh ingredients were wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- amazingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/15/2014I literally had one of the best dinners I have ever had, and I would reccomend it to ANYONE! It was just another part of the trip that made the weekend perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lost opportunityPhlashPhelpsDined on 3/13/2014While the food was tasty and the service good, portion sizes were quite small for the prices and --in spite of their wonderful location -- they have not taken advantage of their surroundings. The is virtually no ambiance, which was very surprising to me.
- Completely Perfectmomof4Dined on 3/8/2014A wonder dinner short ribs for my husband so tender and organic chicken for me. Fresh vegetables grown on site. Fresh warm bread brought to our table. Servers going extra mile to make us comfortable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never Fail!!ExpatjDined on 3/2/2014I just had a wonderful dinner on Sunday (3/2) with a couple of my girlfriends. As we always talk among ourselves, there was nothing that we didn't like this time again!! The menu I thought was a bit shorter than usual, but very nice selection. I had the Sea Bass. Delicious! Tangerine cheesecake mouse was yummy too. I wish I could have a couple of apertizer but we had had a late lunch and just didn't have any room :-( I really like the setting of the dining room. The wait persons are extremely polite and nice. The food is presented very nicely and delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice eveningbeardinerDined on 2/25/2014Food is good although not to the caliber of top SLO county restaurants such as Novo, Bistro Laurant, etc. Service was friendly and efficient. We were at the resort for a special celebration which fit in well with the meal. Other times of the year might be better with more locally grown product available but late February had a limited supply of "green produce" available. An overall nice evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasant Lunch breakStephenmDined on 2/25/2014We stopped in on our way North to try out the hot tubs and for lunch. It was a little like going back in time.. Not a bad thing but not what we expected. The food was tasty, service efficient but the place needs a little TLC.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not as good as last time!FebruaryDined on 2/3/2014We have eaten at Gardens of Avila and found the food outstanding. This time I was slightly disappointed with my meal. It was the snapper with roasted fingerling potatoes. I'd say it was good but not great. I wish they had put some sort of vegetables with the meal-it was a bit boring. It was my birthday and I'm gluten free so there was not any item I could have for dessert except vanilla ice cream which I don't care for. Even if they had other flavors or perhaps cream brûlée I could have had it. One of the reasons we went back to Gardens of Avila was that they were very gluten free friendly but I couldn't have soup or dessert. Why don't chefs thicken their soups with something other than flour?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- If you are in the neighborhoodfoodie88Dined on 1/24/2014Heard the hotel and spa was awesome and stopped in for a night. Service was rather slow, but the food was pretty good. We loved the amouse bouche that was served before our entrees, and the truffle for dessert. I would recommend the restaurant if you are staying at the hotel, but I don't know that I would go out of the way for it otherwise.I would recommend this to a friend.
- We expected good, but ....MisterBDined on 1/18/2014We expected good at the Garden of Avila but this was beyond good. We each felt it was one of the best meals we've had anywhere. The sirloin caps were rare, just as I'd ordered them, and were fork-cutting tender. The halibut was delicious: firm, not over-cooked and w a slight perfectly browned crust. Even the coffee was exceptional. We will come back here again!Special Features:
- great local spotHsljquesDined on 12/29/2013We ordered the prefix- probably should have ordered off the menu instead. I did not enjoy all my selections. But the Chef was great about requests and substitutes. I wanted ice cream and got a delicious local favorite. The service was very good and we got to use our $20 open table check too. No corkage on local wines.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LovelyPoosyDined on 12/29/2013Lovely service, lovely food. Portions are teeny weeny but of course that's actually better because you leave feeling pleasantly sated, not stuffed! I wish the lighting was just ever so slightly dimmed - it's a bit overly bright. Loved the roominess - the space between tables made it feel so unclaustrophobic. Our waitress couldn't have been more professional and sweet - I wish I remembered her name.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- magic at avila gardensREDwoodShoresVIPDined on 12/26/2013really enjoyed the 5 course dinner with the courses along with the wine pairings selected by the Chef. We had a great time! Didn't feel hurried or rushed. We will come back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A terrible Xmas Eve DinnerHappyVIPDined on 12/25/2013This restaurant came highly recommended so we very disappointed in the whole experience. There was lots of wait staff but it took almost 25 minutes for our drinks to arrive. The did not have our salad orders correct and had to redo the orders. My beet salad - at $11. - had 2 baby beets and a hand full of greens. The main dish was very average. Won't go back again...ever!
- First off the food was fabulous,OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 12/14/2013First off the food was fabulous, excellent tasking menu, but unfortunately our dining experience wasn't quite what we were hoping for due to a few strange incidences. It was great that the bartender came personally to our table to gather (and help personalize) our drink orders as the bar was closed for a private event. However from that point on the service declined. Our server was friendly, but always seemed in a rush to be somewhere else and attention to detail was not made a priority. I think the worst part was the fact that the doors were kept open while the staff did their clean up work. We were still enjoying our dessert. Sadly, despite being an excellent meal I would not recommend.Special Features:
- FreshOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/18/2013No Sysco here. This is fresh, and cooked perfectly. Best meal in a very long while. I will definitely come backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.