2 New Montgomery St.
San Francisco, CA 94105Neighborhood:
Financial District / Embarcadero
CalifornianPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.sfpalace.com/dining
- Phone: 4155465089x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Saturday: 6:30am - 10:30am;
Sunday Breakfast: 7:00am-10:00am
Monday - Saturday: 11:30am - 1:30pm;
Saturday 1:00pm -2:30pm MUST PHONE IN RESERVATION;
11:00am - 1:30pm $85 for adults, $45 for children 6-12 years of age
(EXCLUDING EASTER SUNDAY, MOTHER'S DAY, FATHER'S DAY, THANKSGIVING, CHRISTMAS AND NEW YEAR'S DAY BRUNCH SERVICE)
Thursday November 27, 2014 Thanksgiving Day Brunch
Reservations from 11:00am-12:00pm or 2:30pm-3:30pm
Thursday December 25, 2014 Chistmas Day Brunch
Reservations from 10:30am-12:00pm or 2:30pm-3:30pm
$125 per adult and $75 children 5-12 years of age
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Californian
- Executive Chef: Jesse Llapitan
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, High Tea, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Harpist for Saturday Tea and Jazz Trio for Sunday Brunch
A word from Garden Court
Featuring innovative intercontinental cuisine, the famed Garden Court offers a superb dining experience in a glorious setting. This historic landmark serves breakfast and lunch daily and an enchanting brunch and afternoon tea on weekends. The Garden Court features a stained glass dome, Italian marble columns, Austrian crystal chandeliers and is noted on San Francisco’s Historic Register as Landmark #18. Our Executive Chef invites you to try our signature crab salad lightly dressed in our own Green Goddess Dressing, a true Palace original created in 1923.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
Garden Court - Best Restaurants in Financial District / Embarcadero ›
Garden Court reviews from OpenTable diners
59 reviews since June 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.9Noise LevelQuiet
special occasion (42)great for brunch (32)great for lunch (25)romantic (18)good for groups (17)neighborhood gem (14)fit for foodies (11)scenic view (9)kid-friendly (5)hot spot (1)notable wine list (1)great for outdoor dining (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Setting is amazing; food less sobiziarchDined on 10/9/2014The dining room is enthralling with ambiance befitting Paris. I ordered the crab omelet with asparagus and chardonnay cream sauce. There was no seasoning in the egg itself, and I don't know that the cream sauce was there at all. The ingredients were top shelf, but the flavor was bland at best. Service was slightly inattentive but very gracious.Special Features:
- BruinVIPDined on 10/7/2014Amazing glass ceiling with great food and service. Perfect for a business meeting.Special Features:
- UnhappyDined on 10/6/2014It was a great disappointment for our 60th birthday celebration. Three people ordered the signature crab salad, absolutely nothing to write home about. I would not recommend it or return to this place.Special Features:
- Not The Bestsurf4lifeDined on 10/4/2014If you've never enjoyed a High Tea go for the experience. The room is very special not to be missed. Wait staff attentive, with a lovely harp player to add to the ambeiance. Food would be a thumbs down although beautifully presented.Special Features:
- GPNativeSFmatronDined on 10/4/2014I was saddened by the quality of the service given the venue and the prices. I adore the location for its beauty and the fact that the noise level is such that you can actually still have a conversation with your guests. However, I am sad that the service level no longer matches the restaurant. I had to remind my waiter about my wine and he served the wrong dessert to my guests. One of our salads was not properly dressed and I had to ask for more dressing. We were under time constraints otherwise I would have complained to the hostess. Please go to enjoy the ambiance of old SF, but stay on top of your waiter and tip accordingly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wow!ShellsterDined on 9/27/2014We took our 82 year young friend for lunch on her birthday. We drove down from Napa, and she had no idea where we were going. Our thank you card said, "I have never had a better surprise nor a more spectacular birthday! Thanks for a life time memory!!" The restaurant itself is beyond words. I do not think there is a restaurant that is more incredibly beautiful than the Garden Court. That, above all, is worth coming here for. We also had some delicious food. My husband's eggplant ravioli was exquisite. The scallops were good, along with my sister's salmon. I had the signature crab salad and was quite pleased. Could have used some more dressing, but it was still excellent. Our waiter was great, he helped make it special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go for the ambiance, not the foodDeanDined on 9/26/2014Everything is good here except the prices. You pay for the beauty, decor, and history of the hotel. The food was good, but nothing spectacular. My friend and I both had the crab salad. Priced at $35 apiece, it certainly didn't taste like $35 worth of food. We couldn't eat it all AND have a conversation in the time allotted for lunch. As soon as we were out on Market Street, my friend asked where he could buy a power bar. I ate a second lunch as soon as I got home. I would recommend it for special occasions if you can afford it and want to sit in a beautiful place. If your focus is on food, I would choose elsewhere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Garden Court1sferDined on 9/22/2014Despite being four out of five native San Franciscans, we had never eaten at the Garden Court. I had the eggplant pasta which was delicious. My friends had the spicy shrimp salad, seared tuna, and the salmon. Everybody in my party was very pleased with their choices. The old carriage court entrance is beautiful and makes for quite an elegant place to dine. Equally important is that the acoustics are excellent, making conversation easy.Special Features:
- Beautiful Venue Disappoints!SsweigandtVIPDined on 9/15/2014The dining room is gorgeous! Unfortunately the service and the food are terribly mediocre at best. The cuisine is outdated and frankly I couldn't eat more than two bites of either my appetizer OR my main course! My latte was so hot I couldn't drink it until the end of the meal. The service was equally disappointing. They served my main course five minutes after serving my appetizer. It also took them 15 minutes to clear my appetizer plate and present the main in front of me. This restaurant needs to clean up its act and stop riding the coattails of the the Good ol' Days.
- Elegant!GFgogirlDined on 9/15/2014I met two friends from grammar school here for a long, long lunch. We stayed three hours and they were fine with it. I made reservations, but it wasn't crowded on a Monday. It was charming to be in such a gorgeous room.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunday Brunch was perfection!!!VegasAlVIPDined on 9/14/2014Incredible setting, amazing food and an impeccable attention to detail, makes this on the MUST DO list in San Francisco.Special Features:
- 1/8 of a kale leaf?OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/12/2014I had the kale and salmon salad. I didn't realize the salmon would be raw. Granted, the waiter did tell me the salad was definitely an appetizer, but it was miniscule. The only thing green on it was about 1/8 of a leaf of cooked kale. And for $15! Fortunately I was able to fill up more with a so-so tomato soup and bread.Special Features:
- Nice to look at but not to eat atETfoodieVIPDined on 9/6/2014Garden Court is absolutely beautiful but the food is just mediocre. Wait staff tries to be nice and polite but they care less. Not accommodating at all. Food is boring and not tasty. Afternoon Tea not worth the price.Special Features:
- AMAZING!!!EmilygmVIPDined on 8/31/2014Outstanding service, awesome food and what an amazing room!!Special Features:
- A place for a special occasionethanDined on 8/31/2014The Garden Court room is quite large and beautifully decorated. A small jazz combo added just the right touch of elegance. The sun streaming through the immense glass ceiling added to the charm. Service was friendly and very attentive. The array of food choices on the Sunday buffet leaves you in a quandary about what to eat. While the variety is not as great or lavish as expensive buffets in Asia, for example, everything is pretty close to perfect. A bottomless champagne glass will make you want to take a nap after feasting. While I won't visit the venue often, whenever anyone says "buffet", the Garden Court will certainly pop into my mind!Special Features:
- Superbok2buVIPDined on 8/30/2014One of the most beautiful dining rooms on the West Coast. Gorgeous. And the food is remarkably good. I gave the cuisine five stars because I'm in a good mood, but perhaps four is a better measure of the quality, because we should reserve five stars for those restaurants that literally send you to the moon with wonderful tastes.Special Features:
- palace hotelredhatqueenDined on 8/25/2014What a lovely way to start the day in such a beautiful setting. Food and service was wonderful. The room was absolutely beautiful and you felt like you were taken back to the early 1900's. Wish we had more time to just sit and enjoy the ambiance, but alas we were leaving that day.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Once in a whileeaharryDined on 8/17/2014The Garden Court puts on the best Sunday brunch in the city. Sure it is expensive, $85 per, but there's enough good food to cover for all three meals. We use it for very special occasions.Special Features:
- Birthday lunchVegDinerDined on 8/12/2014I brought my best friend here for lunch for her birthday, and as it turned out there were two other groups celebrating birthdays right near our table, including one woman who had turned 100! Definitely a feeling of old San Francisco, very genteel and traditional. Our waiter, Bill, brought my friend a birthday dessert with a candle without me even asking, it was great! She loved her crab salad, and I enjoyed the ravioli, which was listed as having a dairy-free option, but that meant leaving off the sauce. Seems like it wouldn't have been too difficult to come up with a dairy-free sauce.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- funinSFDined on 8/12/2014It was my friend's birthday and the waiter went all out in friendly service and even gave her a free dessert. We were attentively looked after without being hovered over. The food was delicious.Special Features:
- yummyDined on 8/11/2014We always enjoy the Garden Court. The food is delicious and the service is top notch. It is a beautiful setting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not so greatOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/10/2014The dining room is very beautiful and historic. Unfortunately, the Sunday breakfast buffet was surprisingly poor quality, and I am not one to complain. Also - quite expensive.
- Loved itOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/7/2014Treated a special friend to a birthday luncheon and she absolutely loved it. So elegant, wonderful service, interesting food. Can't think of a better place in downtown SF.Special Features:
- Romantic and Delicious lunch!cinemaniac91Dined on 7/30/2014I went here to celebrate my four year anniversary with my boyfriend and everything was perfect! The ambiance was romantic and elegant, the food was delicious, and the dessert was perfect! I can't wait to come back again soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BirthdayGuteelternDined on 7/27/2014it was the 80th Birthday of my husband and a wonderful day for all of us.Special Features:
- Palace Hotel - Garden CourtwoosmileyVIPDined on 7/27/2014The seafood section is delicious especially the crab and prawn cocktails. There's a lot of room for improvement for the Asian food served for brunch. The live music and the ambience at the Garden Court compliment each other beautifully. The service was good.Special Features:
- Food Not As Good as Settingluv2dineDined on 7/16/2014What a beautiful setting. Absolutely spectacular. Unfortunately, the food was just okay. We had their specialty Crab and Shrimp Salad with the famous green goddess dressing. We did not like the dressing. We were definitely disappointed. Scoma's crab louie is so much better. The wine list here was limited, bias towards sparkling wines, and overpriced. The pinot gris that we had also tasted poor. The dessert we had was excellent. We had the dark chocolate cake with dark chocolate and orange ganache and Tahitian vanilla creme anglaise. This restaurant needs to update their menu, update their wine list and not live on their past glory.Special Features:
- Sadly disappointingSPS1Dined on 7/16/2014Although it's probably been at least 10 years since I've been there, I had such fond memories of superb service and excellent food, those memories were not rekindled. The ambiance, decor and total feeling of being someplace special still existed, however, I was quite disappointed in my Spicy Shrimp Salad. Due to digestive issues, I requested low spice. Our waiter assured me that it was only lightly spiced which turned out to be quite untrue. The prawns were large and succulent, but the salad, mostly chopped ice berg lettuce, and slightly wilted, was indeed spicy. This was corroborated by my dining companion who ordered the same thing and found it too spicy for her taste as well. Once the food appearaed we never saw the waiter again.Special Features:
- A Grand Brunch ExperienceDenMiloDined on 7/13/2014My last visit to the Garden Court for Sunday Brunch was nearly 20 years ago. My memories of the experience heightened my anticipation of returning for a special brunch with my fiancee. I have to say that the Garden Court is a magnificent brunch experience. The setting is very grand, the service is impeccable and the food is very good. The wait staff are extremely professional and friendly. There are ample varieties of food from fresh seafood to sushi and all of the breakfast items that you would expect. Be sure to allow yourself ample time to relax and enjoy the experience. You will not be disappointed.Special Features:
- Such a disappointmentCyn95030Dined on 7/6/2014The Garden Court at the Palace Hotel is beautiful, but this breakfast/brunch buffet was horrible. The service was almost non-existent for things like water, fresh utensils, and other incidentals. When the waiter did appear, his facial expression was as though we were bothering him. On top of that, it was quite expensive for breakfast fare. It wasn't even the Sunday Brunch that they are known for. I would definately go back for lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Elegant settingJst4phunDined on 6/30/2014We went for breakfast & enjoyed it. The beautiful setting is something special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 978 reviews are from the Garden Court reviews archive.
- Great setting for a Sunday brunch.DaveDined on 6/15/2014Good food, live music and beautiful room. The Palace Hotel is a grand old building.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always GoodEB123Dined on 6/15/2014While prices have increased, the more exotic offerings such as caviar have been eliminated, people were packed like sardines, and at one point there were virtually no deserts, the Garden Court continues to rank highly for special occasion brunches.Special Features:
- Garden Court is still gorgeousSFdinerVIPDined on 6/11/2014I lunched with a friend recently and we had a wonderful conversation, surprisingly tasty chicken sandwiches and attentive service. For many years the food was mediocre although the atmosphere was always wonderful. The past two times I have had lunch at the Garden Court, the food has been as good as the atmosphere. The portions are very generous, too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GARDEN COURT LUNCHTripleAceDined on 6/4/2014Service was very good and a beautiful room. However, the food was fair to poor, over priced and small portions.
- Turn of the Century SettingValueDinerDined on 6/4/2014One of the few remaining mainstays of San Francisco dining. Whether for a trip down memory lane or for a unique setting to tell your friends about there is no hotel dining room on the West Coast like the Garden Court.Special Features:
- PerfectionTravelerDined on 6/1/2014This is the number one brunch spot in San Francisco. The location is as grand as could possibly be with a large open room reminiscent of The Louvre - high arched glass and marble columns throughout. The food was wonderful both in variety and quality. I've been to restaurants all over the world, Paris, Rome, Moscow, London, Lyon, and many more. This one was one of the best. Bottom line, the friend I took, who is the most classy, most refined person I have ever met, had tears in her eyes because the experience was so wonderful. And it wasn't just her. I have to say I've never seen so many happy people in a restaurant. It was an experience. If you are looking that special place - this is it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding Dining Experiencelulu22Dined on 5/25/2014We recently enjoyed the breakfast buffet at the Garden Court. The food was delicious - nice varieties of pastries, cold dishes, fruit, and the hot selections, although fairly standard, were prepared and presented beautifully. The cheese blintz's were wonderful!! The ambiance is outstanding, and if one knows the history of the Garden Court it adds another dimension to the setting. The server we had, EDGARDO, was delightful. Very attentive, always ready with coffee refills, but not hovering. Another important aspect for us, is that although the room is very large and seats a lot of people, the noise level was low. It is a most relaxing dining experience, perfect for any special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lunch at The PalaceGOrmandDined on 5/17/2014The Garden Court is a huge, high-ceiling room seating dozens, but the ambiance is such that you feel that all of that goes on is for you and those in your party. The escalator at the west end of Montgomery Station takes you right to the hotel doorway.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- For History BuffsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/15/2014We ate here because of the history associated with the hotel. The food and service are nothing special, which is a shame because it could easily be bumped up a couple of notches to give a stellar experience - the way the Palace was once famous for!Special Features: