408, St-Francois Xavier
Montreal, QC H2Y 2T1Neighborhood:
InternationalPrice: CAN$51 and over
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://crownsalts.com/gardemanger
- Phone: 5146785044x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Sunday: 6:00 pm - 10:30 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: International
- Executive Chef: Chuck Hughes
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from Garde Manger
Please visit us at crownsalts.com for more information.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Garde Manger reviews from OpenTable diners
- Quality foodPtinmontrealDined on 12/22/2013For a 1 month waiting time we were expecting much more. The octopus was fantastic, the crab was good but main courses, we're average. I would say that my fish in a kind of sauce!? very liquid with vegetables was a disaster. Is not worth the price at all.Special Features:
- Lived up to the hype!JCS5Dined on 12/20/2013There is so much hype surrounding Garde Manger, and rightly so! The food and the service definitely lived up to expectations. Our waitress was friendly and prompt and was able to tell us about the history of the restaurant. The food was amazing. The lobster poutine was delicious and quite the experience - as was the Caesar! It's on the pricey side but I would definitely recommend it, especially for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service was exception i.e.BoldmaksDined on 12/17/2013Service was exception i.e. Informed, balanced and cheerful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing every time!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/17/2013This restaurant fails to disappoint! I've been many times and it is still my favourite restaurant. The food is excellent and the atmosphere is great! Love it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great!NiModDined on 12/17/2013Everything was good! Food, drink, ambiance... Awesome is the only word that comes to my head for describing this place! A place to go for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best meal of my life.BurnMcGurnDined on 12/15/2013Took a beautiful woman for supper and we both agree that we never had a better meal or a better restaurant experience. Kudos.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Welcome to FlavortownMacblainDined on 12/13/2013Service was amazing. Our waitress was a great help when it came time to picking through all the delicious choices they had on the menu that night. The whole meal was exquisite, we ate like a kings. Portions were very balanced and generous. The featured cocktails were some of the best I have ever had, and the desserts were a dream. It was around $500 with tip for our reservation of 4, and I would have gladly spent more for this tour of flavortown, my tastebuds are forever grateful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrible ServicefjjjjDined on 12/8/2013This restaurant is suffering from it's Food Network success. The service, while friendly, was extraordinarily slow. We did not get our first glass of cava for over 1/2 an hour and it took close to 90 minutes to get our bottle of wine. The reservation was late on a sunday night, our section was not full, the server was just not capable of providing efficient service. VERY disappointed. Worst service we had in 3 days of eating out in fantastic Montreal restaurants.
- Worth every pennyAnnieDined on 12/7/2013I went to Garde Manger last Saturday with a couple of friends to celebrate her birthday. I had reserved 30 days in advance (otherwise we wouldn't have been able to get in). This is a very trendy restaurant. The short rib was delicious, seafood platter, lobster poutine and the grilled squid with chorizo, to die for! Everything was perfect, the service was amazing, friendly - unlike some other trendy places in Montreal where servers are arrogant and impatient. The music was very good, not too loud and the chef and his team were having a blast in the kitchen (open concept where we see the cooking in action). Make your reservation early. This restaurant has 2 serving times. They confirmed our reservation was from 7:30 to 9:00pm.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Long wait and obnoxious groupoutoftownerDined on 12/6/2013Even after making our reservation one month in advance, we still waited (standing) for over half an hour for our table. Unfortunately the table beside us was very noisy - singing, clapping, and quite frankly very obnoxious. Not only was this behaviour ignored by the wait staff, but to our surprise 2 of the wait staff drank shooters with the group. Unfortunately, the atmosphere totally ruined our night. It was our first visit and will be our last which is too bad because the food was good.Special Features:
- Thank you Chuck Hughes4thefoodloverDined on 12/1/2013The food is up to par to the chef ! The Lobster poutine was faaaabulous ! You also have to try their signature drink, a Cesar in a very big glass with a big scallop on top ! Deliiiicious !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A mixed reviewTinTDined on 11/24/2013Garde Manger lived up to our expectations of fabulous food. However, the room was so dark, we couldn't see our food or the interesting decor. Even when we jokingly gathered several lanterns onto our table, we still felt very much in the dark. Also, the music was so oppressively loud, it was difficult to enjoy conversation. There were also service missteps: our guest of honour received her cocktail quite late. She ordered semi-freddo for dessert, which was served when she was not present at the table. It sat there melting for several minutes until she returned from the washroom, when it should have been kept cold until she was ready to enjoy it. We had a great meal at Garde Manger, but a great evening is about more than food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bucket list restaurantPfrangeDined on 11/23/2013I planned a trip from Ottawa with a group of friends and it was worth everything. Food surpassed all my expectations, great night and great times!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bucket listBucketlistDined on 11/23/2013All the food that we tried was amazing, really tastfull, cooked perfectly and Alex did really good on the service side and bring us good wine. The price was good too but it was worth it, I would be able to do it often but on special occasion like my wedding anniversary it was perfect. We really enjoy our evening!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful first experienceLarahDined on 11/22/20134 girlfriends in Montreal from Toronto. Had heard great things about Garde Manger - definitely exceeded our expectations. The food was delicious - we had the lobster poutine, seafood platter, crab legs & risotto. The atmosphere was awesome. One of our favourite things was the service! Our server, Claudette was absolutely wonderful. She was very helpful with helping with the menu (as we do not speak fluent french.) The kitchen staff was awesome, too - they let us come back there for a picture with them! We missed Chuck by a few minutes we were told! Would highly recommend this spot & definitely going back again. Thanks Garde Manger!Special Features:
- Simply OUtstandingOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 11/20/2013There is nothing bad to say about this restaurant. period.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Twice the CharmJetski2005Dined on 11/20/2013Its our 2nd time there and it was awesome! The atmosphere was super energetic! The menu keeps changing but the dishes that make this restaurant special remain ie: Lobster Poutine and the Braised Short Ribs. You have eat here, an unforgetable experience and the staff is the best.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 11/20/2013The food was amazing. We had the tasting menu. Our server was not only warm, friendly and efficient but also coordinated us having a phone in the kitchen with the staff, we didn't even ask for it. And Chuck happened to be there for our picture. Everyone was friendly and attentive. Some of the best service and food I have ever had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Everything just seemed deliciousrkwaslikeDined on 11/19/2013Everything just seemed delicious and worth trying! For the appetizers, we shared a small lobster poutine and lentil bruschetta. I would wholeheartedly suggest the bruschetta. It was fantastic! I had big expectations of the lobster poutine, unfortunately it didn't quite hit the spot. I didn't find a single chunk of lobster. The fries tasted great, so did the lobster gravy, but I want some lobster in my lobster-poutine. C'est tout. For the mains, we ordered the walleye fish and the pork chops. While the walleye fish was good, it was a little on the salty side. However, my pork chops were mind blowing. I was skeptical, as I often find them to be overcooked and dry, but WOW. Moist, tender, and flavorful are all I can begin to say about them.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Phenomenal Food and Service!!SabrinaDined on 11/17/2013There aren't enough characters permitted to describe our experience at Le Garde-Manger. We were there recently for my friend's bachelorette party. We were a group of 5 ladies from out of town and were surprised by the trendy and intimate atmosphere. We were greeted by the owner himself (Tim) as well as our lovely waitress who knew the menu inside out and had awesome recommendations. Our group ordered the shrimp risotto, scallops and pork and were kindly offered complimentary oysters and shots. The food and wine was absolutely phenomenal! Most importantly, nothing can beat the outstanding service that we received from this restaurant. You MUST try Le Garde Manger. Make sure to book weeks in advance since the tables fill up quickly!Special Features:
- Hot PlatesEmmaBDined on 11/14/2013The food was amazing!! The service fabulous, thanks Jose! The only thing we didn't like was that the food was not served hot, in our opinion, plates have to be very hot when they leave the kitchen. We were there for our 49th wedding anniversary, and if go back to Montreal the same time next year, we will go there for our 50th.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We visited due to meetinggoodbutVIPDined on 11/13/2013We visited due to meeting the chef at an event in PEI. It is small and dark and would have a nice atmosphere except that the music was too loud. It was interesting to name the hits from the 80s. Good food with seasonal influence, well presented and served quickly and politely. At $250 for a meal for 2 with 2 glasses of wine each rather than a bottle made the very good meal 'value for money'.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A newcomerInHooverWeTrustDined on 11/12/2013I don't happen to go fine dining that much, so this is one of my first occasions. But as a cook myself, it was an experience that I'll remember for a while. The service and atmosphere were great, and the food inspired me a little, not having tried many things like it. Thanks Garde Manger. My girlfriend and I had an amazing night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good ExperienceahlrefDined on 11/10/2013We were very happy to finally visit Garde Manger. There is a good buzz to the place and has a warm feeling to it. Our meals were very good but not excellent. In all fairness, we ate at Joe Beef the night before , so that was still on our mind and was hard to measure up to that. It is a good dining option in Old Montreal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chuck's not here (was his day off)CyclopsfoodieVIPDined on 11/10/2013We celebrated a family birthday at Garde Manger and thoroughly enjoyed the food, service and ambiance. Too bad Chef Chuck was not in the kitchen that evening, but that did not detract in the least from our meal. The four of us shared orders of several dishes: oysters, the crowd pleasing lobster poutine, perogies with crab, rarebit and risotto. I could not begin to select one favourite dish - all were wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really wonderful food --bestTinaDined on 11/8/2013Really wonderful food --best restaurant meal I've had in a long timeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bonnie's Day ON!!!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/8/2013I have NEVER eaten food this amazing! The food is just one component of the overall experience though, service was incredible and the atmosphere was the bomb! The waitress knew the menu inside and out; when my niece expressed a dislike for seafood but an interest in the risotto on the menu, she immediately offered a vegetarian risotto that was not even on the menu; my niece LOVED it! EVERYTHING we ordered was to die for; I have never in my life had a dining experience like this. My sister wanted to try a raw oyster; the server sent one immediately to the table for her, the presentation was beautiful. When it arrived, the young lady took the time to describe to my sister how to eat it to maximize the experience, it was so memorable!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WowLafindumondeDined on 11/6/2013So impressed. This restaurant is everything you hope for in a montreal dining experience. Top to bottom, we thoroughly enjoyed the meal, service and the recommendation was more than accurate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First Experience at Garde-MangeririshadvDined on 11/6/2013It was our first experience, and our waitress talked to us about the Menu Degustation. It was a very nice way to taste many different plates and enjoy. We loved the beef salad, the seafood platter ( 6 oysters, 2 scallops, smoked salmon and smoked makerrel), the short rib and the lobster risotto. For the rarebit with an egg and crab, for us, there was too much of different flavor. It was good but not like the rest in our opinions. The bloody ceasar is certainly a signature drink. All the staff were very friendly , helpful and the service was excellent and fast. We will go back and I will recommand this excellent restaurant. It's a bit loud for a romantic dinner but the ambiance is good in general.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/5/2013I had big expectations for this restaurant after having gone to Le Bremner. Although Garde Manger is very good, I prefer Le Bremner. I would however, still go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingOreoDined on 11/5/2013Food is absolutely amazing but I was disappointed that they did not have the best dessert in the world. Fried mars bar.Special Features:
- A bit disappointed, better beforeDumontet123Dined on 10/30/2013I always loved this restaurant, but I hadn't been there for at least a year, and I was disappointed. OK, the menu changed a bit, it's normal, but the size of the meals too. I remember sharing the lobster poutine with one of my friend because it was so big. Now, I wouldn't have. Same thing for the main course. It's not a fancy french restaurant, it's a restaurant with meat, fishes everything, so I expected a bit more for the size, because I was used to it. But, I still think everybody should go there and try this place. But for me, I know I won't go back for the next months.Special Features:
- AmbienceRicoDined on 10/29/2013Really great ambience - we sat at the back bar and we chatted with the staff and all were very courteous and friendly. I highly recommend it and the noise level was fine. We heard some complaints from our hotel concierge but the main front room may be a bit loud. We loved it and would go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Good (lobster poutineOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 10/24/2013Very Good (lobster poutine was surprisingly good) and worth trying but it is on the expensive side !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great spotLebRonDined on 10/22/2013First time at Garde Manger, the service was excellent, our waitress took the time to explain in details evrything on the menu. I highly recommend this place for a special occasion, food was great but watch the $$$ it is very expensive.Special Features:
- Lived up to the hype!snowboardincDined on 10/15/2013My daughter works in the restaurant business and suggested this spot. I checked the online reviews and decided it was worth a try. It was all that and more. We tried the signature lobster poutine which was great, my daughter had the beef and broccoli, the beef tasted like a perfectly prepared filet mignon, my wife had the walleye, melt in your mouth delicious, and I had the lobster risotto, best version I have ever had. Finished with dessert and coffee, way to go Chuck Hughes! Menu changes often, so be prepared to try the server's suggestions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun Atmosphere and great foodRobDavDined on 10/13/2013very friendly staff! A daily blackboard menu blends traditional Quebecois and modern styles for a full on flavour trip. A fun evening!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Expectations surpassed.IizardDined on 10/10/2013Phenomenal food - best oysters I ever had! The only thing that would have made it better was if Chuck Hughes was there himself!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Absolutely loved it!CelesteDined on 10/9/2013So absolutely glad we decided to eat here. Would DEFINITELY be back again. The food was definitely superb but I'd say the ambiance even tops it. It's casual and classy and refined and easy-going all at the same time. Rarely do you feel this comfortable in a "fine-dining" establishment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GreatSammyDDined on 10/4/2013We had a great time.. Even had the chance to see Chuck in action.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.