1101 Valencia Street
San Francisco, CA 94110Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.garconsf.com/
- Phone: 4154018959
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: tuesday to thursday / Sunday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm friday saturday 5:30pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French, Contemporary French
- Executive Chef: Arthur Wall
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: If you would like to make a reservation for 5 or more guests, please call the restaurant. Lounge and/or main dining room available for private parties.
- Private Party Contact: Jerome 4154018959
A word from Garcon
Welcome to Garcon! Garcon encapsulates an old-world French bistro with a casual and friendly atmosphere like one would find in France. Chef Arthur Wall delivers a stylish interpretation of French classics like coq au vin, mussels, duck confit and French onion soup. A New Orleans native, classically trained at the Winsdor Court Hotel, Chef Wall has always loved French cooking but with the resources and setting of the west coast. He sources the freshest ingredients, cooking in the seasons and changing the menu daily. Garcon offers a diverse selection of local and old world wines, local oysters and cheeses as well as daily prix fixe and holiday tasting menus. Access to private lounge offset from main dining allows people to engage in intimate conversation and parties as well.Continued
Garcon also offers a 3 course Chef's menu all week. BON APPETIT!
Garcon also offers a 3 course Chef's menu all week. BON APPETIT!
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Garcon reviews from OpenTable diners
118 reviews since April 23, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (70)fit for foodies (64)special occasion (43)romantic (33)notable wine list (27)vibrant bar scene (18)good for groups (15)hot spot (13)late-night find (9)great for brunch (4)scenic view (2)great for outdoor dining (2)great for lunch (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Great, but some bumps latelyOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 8/16/2014Garcon is one of our favorite French restaurants and the food and flavors are very good. We've eaten there many, many times and enjoyed it. Lately, it seems a bit frenzied, though. Recently when we dined there our server forgot to put in our order, so we sat for over an hour with no food and then waited for our order to be put through. The owner felt bad and tried to make up for it, which we appreciated. Last time we waited 45 minutes past our reservation time and got seated by the waiters' station- we spent the meal looking at computer screens and trash bins. It was a bit difficult to enjoy our expensive bottle of wine and nice food. Meanwhile I heard a patron thank the hostess for squeezing them in and giving them a nice table. Hmm.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very CrampedKASSanFranDined on 8/16/2014Very Cramped quarters with all the tables super close so you can easily join other conversations. I ordered the Pork Tenderloin; under cooked we had to send it back; the server was clearly annoyed but no one wants to eat bleeding pork. The servers refilling the water glasses, and taking away the used dishes needed a refresher in customer service 101. Also, you need to hurry its a small place and they need to turn over the tables quicky.Special Features:
- Newly underwhelmingPurpleDaffodilVIPDined on 8/12/2014I have dined at Garcon several times and have enjoyed a nice evening and meal. But last night... The Hostess: Delightful and very helpful. The Waiter: AWOL. He took our order, and that was it. The remaining scanty service we received was from a disengaged bus boy and the aforementioned lovely hostess. I resented leaving a tip. The Food: In PEAK tomato season, the heirlooms were hard and flavorless. They probably weren't even organic. There were like something you might pick up in the produce section of a discount supermarket. I'd have taken that dish off the menu if that's all I had to serve in it. Noise: Over the top! Could barely converse. Bottom Line: I may try Garcon again at some point but I'll be giving the place a good long rest.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quelle SurpriseDickinsonDined on 8/9/2014We really enjoyed it here. I had requested a good and quiet table, as this was to be a birthday dinner. They gave us the best in the house, in the corner of the back room. Very nice, thanks! The food was great. Do not miss the crab and avocado salad if it is on the menu. Don't make the mistake of planning to split it. You'll each wish you had your own (as we did). The rest of the meal was excellent, too. The service was very attentive, especially considering that it was peak time on Saturday night. The waiter brought us a little lagniappe at the end of our meal, too (I know that the chef/owner from New Orleans will know what I mean by that) of a taste of a Calvados, after I'd expressed a newly found passion for it. Thx, great meal!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious foodPattyDined on 8/8/2014Had dinner that was so delicious! Had the Coq au Vin and scallops. shared a lobster salad and desert. All very good. Also, great service. And their drinks were yummy too.Special Features:
- Love it,,,again!GarretVIPDined on 8/2/2014This place is one of my favorites! The French food is great, casual style, amazing and affordable wine list. Most of all , the entire staff (especially Pierre) are amazing!!!! This is a place I always bring friends!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sweet, sweet breadutingmeDined on 8/2/2014The Mission offers such eclectic and fine dining experiences and Garcon is my new go-to in the area for their wine and spirits selection paired with very tasty French dishes. My dishes: bone marrow, corn soup, veal sweet bread. My goodness, everything was wonderfully balanced and enjoyable. The staff was attentive, friendly, and respectful. Will definitely be back to try the rest of the menu :DSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a pleasureADinerVIPDined on 8/2/2014The best steak frites ever! Nice, casual ambiance and service. You can just sit back and relax.Special Features:
- FoodieVIPDined on 7/31/2014Food was pretty good. Pasta a little overlooked and warm not hot...try the French dishes and stay away from any pasta dishesI would recommend this to a friend.
- hungrycoupleDined on 7/26/2014food excellent, and healthy. service great. mix up in kitchen resulted in long wait for dinnerSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty at a costWillyumDined on 7/25/2014The food was somewhat unique and very tasty. Service far better than most places. Cost of main courses seemed high but reasonable. Appetizers, sides,drinks and deserts unjustifiably expensive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good French CuisineYossieDined on 7/23/2014We had a Duck Liver Pate that was excellent. A fair Gazpacho. A very good Coq au Vin (smallish portion) Excellent Duck Breast (subbing for Confit) Deserts included an excellent Creme Brule, a good Profiterole and a very good chocolate dipped mini-sorbet selection. Wine list was certainly fine. Noise level was a bit high and our table was somewhat uncomfortable sitting for three. I would and will go back..Special Features:
- Parisian BistroGJSFVIPDined on 7/18/2014Best vibe on the Valencia corridor! Great food and drink...authentic staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Magnifique!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/18/2014Whenever sweetbreads are on a menu we try them and these were superb with the whole grain mustard tang of the sauce and the maitake mushroom smokiness. Also side of shaved brussel sprouts went perfectly with the pork tenderloin in an amazing molasses sauce. Waiter was french, which added to the ambience. His suggestions were excellent. Fun and lively with serious bistro food.Special Features:
- Not for "old folks!"idellaDined on 7/18/2014Not that Garcon needs business, as obviously popular as it is BUT as much as we enjoyed the service and our meals, the noise was 6 bells at least - intolerable for us over sixty....the convenience to The Marsh is great.Special Features:
- birthday celebrationcc15Dined on 7/15/2014We dined on a Tuesday night. At 6:00 it was quiet and our table was nice. The service was wonderful, didn't feel rushed. On Tuesday nights you can bring your own wine without a corkage fee. The wait staff was happy to open it for us. We brought two bottles of french wine. We shared a taste with our waiter who was impressed my husband knew something about french wines. We had our 12 year old daughter with us which was wonderful and she was treated like she was part of the group. The whole staff was friendly, smiling and fun. I had the steak and truffle fries and it was out of this world good. Located in the Mission and thriving with people strolling Valencia street. Street parking was easy. Can't wait to return.Special Features:
- Not as good as it use to be...OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/11/2014Forgot my frits with the "steak frites!" Timing was way off, from the 40 min wait for a reserved table, to getting our salad before our cocktail was finished, the delay with the entre and then the long wait for the bill. Didn't like our seats back in corner near kitchen. Would have rather sit in front, however people with no reservations were given these (better) seats while we were given these seats (with reservation). Chef should spend less time talking to customers and more time in kitchen. So many better places to go.
- Great Food! Great Service!WineEmDined on 7/6/2014This was our fourth time eating here. We really enjoy ourselves and the food each time we go. This time was no different. The staff was very friendly and because it was 1) a Sunday and 2) a holiday weekend it was quieter than normal. What made our time there especially nice was the fact that we were celebrating our 1 year anniversary and we had the whole back room to ourselves. We stared with the truffled fromage blanc and oysters on the half shell with pink peppercorn mignonette (delicious) and for dinner we had duck confit and the fish! Both plates were completely bare! Dessert was Delightful!Special Features:
- Always exceeds our expectations!DanielDined on 7/4/2014The cocktails, food and service keep us coming back to this neighborhood gem. Great oysters, escargot and mussels. Great staff and fun customers!!Special Features:
- Third Time CharmingjohnnydajewelerDined on 7/3/2014This is our third time at Garcon and it gets better every time. Charming French bistro atmosphere, wonderful service, and food cooked and presented to perfection. And no, I am not related to the owner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious as AlwaysPaulKDined on 7/1/2014Garcon is always a treat. Brought my Dad, who always seems to want French food and he wasn't disappointed. The chef pays great attention to detail, particularly making sure the meat or fish is cooked to perfect tenderness. We all ended up selecting a couple appetizers rather than an entree, mostly because we couldn't limit ourselves to just one dish. The desserts were really fun and inventive, as well. It's not inexpensive, but I consider Garcon a bargain considering the quality of food and wine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DinnerHolidaytripDined on 6/29/2014Nice restaurant but very poor quality food. The duck liver pate did not appear to be home made and very similar to the kind you can buy in a supermarket. The waiter got the order wrong so one member of the group got his main course when the rest were half finished. when it did arrive it was not cooked correctly, so he ended up having no main course. the french fries were very poor and appeared to be reheated. The menu may have had a french flavour pot the food didn't. We would not return to this restaurant
- My dinning room323ronperellDined on 6/27/2014It's like my own dinning room and chef. I don't need a kitchen in my houseSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too loud and $$4lmilvyDined on 6/27/2014It was great when I got there (6pm Friday) but by the time I left ( (8pm Friday) way too noisy. I was irritated while waiting for my friend, I was asked 3 x whether I would like something to drink, once should have been enough and had I wanted something after that, I could have flagged down a server. Mushroom soup was excellent, mussels where not. My companion seemed to really enjoy the place but then she lives in Idaho and I am a discrimintating New Yorker.Special Features:
- Oui oui ouiEasternFoodieDined on 6/27/2014Friendly engaging and pleasant The marrow special was exceptional as well as all the food we sampled Very good wine selection and some really good finds A must experience yet casual gemSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine French Food1SFGUYDined on 6/22/2014The food and the service was excellent. I also like the location. I hadn't ben there before and I was with a couple and we all were very pleased and each of us had ordered different dishes. The staff was also very friendly and accommodatinSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A new favoritefussydinerDined on 6/20/2014We returned to Garcon after a long gap since our last visit. We were very pleased with our experience. If not for Open Table, we probably would not have gotten a table on such short notice. The menu was very extensive, and we had no trouble finding good things to eat. Everything that we ordered was well prepared and delicious: Duck Liver Pate, Crab Salad, Sweetbreads and Petrale Sole. I was impressed with the presentation of the Duck Liver Plate with cheeries, pistachio and white wine gelee. However, the Cherry Beer Malt and Cherry Pie, was unbelievably unique and delicious. We will return soonSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- French Bistro FareLavenderDined on 6/14/2014Coq Au Vin was really good and plentiful. Creme Brulee was Excellent! The asparagus salad was a disaster, the prosciutto was stringy and cooked, there was not more than 2 pieces of wilted arugula for $12.00. Cute atmosphere of a real French Bistro, The wine list was good. Food is 2 and a half stars at most, due to the appetizer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good foodYoliVIPDined on 6/8/2014We were a party of three. There is a full bar. The drinks and food were good. It is a convenient location in the Mission. The seating was fine and we had an early dinner while it was still relatively quiet. We will return.Special Features:
- Very good French restaurantapassemardDined on 6/7/2014Every entree is different but they all looked delicious and the one we had were great as well. Definitely a good cuisine. Service was good and slow enough so that you can enjoy your dinner without being rushed. Great for a couple diner. The desserts are also excellent. It is on the pricey side though.Special Features:
- Good food, decent serviceBruceDined on 6/6/2014The overall dinner was very good. The service was slow overall. Food and service took an extra 10-15 mins more than one would expect when paying the prices for the meal. Food overall was very good.Special Features:
- Will be back againOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 6/6/2014Excellent menu & have enjoyed entrees in the past but we don't recommend the flank steak. Other items - very good.Special Features:
- ServiceJemimaDined on 6/4/2014Our service was terribly slow and our table was unkept. We were overcharged on our bill. Our seating was noisy even tho we asked to be seated in a quiet area. Turns out there is another room. More romantic and quiet and even tho we were seated when they opened, they sat us where it was noisy and no one came by to help us or clean our table. Disappointed for my friend's first experience and impression.Special Features:
- Oooh la laCupcakecrazyVIPDined on 5/31/2014Everything about our dinner was fabulous. The coq au vin was tasty and flavorful. The potato leek soup with black garlic was delicious. The waiter who I assume was the owner was very attentive and very friendly and knew his food and drink very well. We will go back to try the other menu items.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best value in townZackDined on 5/30/2014A true French restaurant where we had an awesome meal and a chance to talk and enjoy conversation with out of town guests. We never felt rushed like we have been at other "hot spots". The food was truly outstanding and the waiter gave us great suggestions and provided outstanding service. The Rib-Eye Special was a great suggestion, beautiful prepared and presented. Garcon provides value for the $$$$ with the feeling of a Paris café!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!luv2dineoutVIPDined on 5/28/2014Some of the restaurants in San Francisco have strange menus but not Garçon. I had the com au vin and it was exceptional! The bartender made a special martini for me with pear vodka that most bar don't carry. The service was also good. I would definitely remember this restaurant and return in the future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PrinceOrloffVIPDined on 5/27/2014If you make an effort to cultivate this place, it will cultivate you. Is the food always superb? Of course not! But it's always interesting and satisfying. How long did it take people to appreciate what Judy Rodgers was doing at Zuni? Food-wise, Garcon is about exploring a cooking style that's unique. There are hits and misses as with any artistic endeavor. Kt's what the Paris bistros of yesteryear were all about. It's a gem!Special Features:
- Excellent!liammmDined on 5/27/2014An excellent dining experience! Excellent food, excellent service. Really the finest.Special Features:
- Fabulous restaurant not to b missedSoutherncookDined on 5/25/2014We met some friends from SF there for dinner on a trip to SF. The food was outstanding. The chef came to our table several times and could not have been more charming. We lingered at the table for several hours. Warm, casual but elegant place with great food and service. A true find in the Mission District.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful dinnermoopzobieVIPDined on 5/24/2014We reserved for dinner for 2, but were able to add a third person at the last minute, even though the restaurant was full. The food was wonderful - we had the grilled octopus appetizer, a steak, and Coq au Vin. I even sopped up my Coq au Vin sauce with some bread, which is unusual for me. The service was friendly and efficient - we had a great time.Special Features: