1101 Valencia Street
San Francisco, CA 94110Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.garconsf.com/
- Phone: 4154018959
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: tuesday to thursday / Sunday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm friday saturday 5:30pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French, Contemporary French
- Executive Chef: Arthur Wall
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: If you would like to make a reservation for 5 or more guests, please call the restaurant. Lounge and/or main dining room available for private parties.
- Private Party Contact: Jerome 4154018959
A word from Garcon
Welcome to Garcon! Garcon encapsulates an old-world French bistro with a casual and friendly atmosphere like one would find in France. Chef Arthur Wall delivers a stylish interpretation of French classics like coq au vin, mussels, duck confit and French onion soup. A New Orleans native, classically trained at the Winsdor Court Hotel, Chef Wall has always loved French cooking but with the resources and setting of the west coast. He sources the freshest ingredients, cooking in the seasons and changing the menu daily. Garcon offers a diverse selection of local and old world wines, local oysters and cheeses as well as daily prix fixe and holiday tasting menus. Access to private lounge offset from main dining allows people to engage in intimate conversation and parties as well.Continued
Garcon also offers a 3 course Chef's menu all week. BON APPETIT!
Garcon also offers a 3 course Chef's menu all week. BON APPETIT!
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Garcon reviews from OpenTable diners
102 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (62)fit for foodies (60)special occasion (35)romantic (30)notable wine list (23)hot spot (17)vibrant bar scene (15)good for groups (11)late-night find (10)great for brunch (2)kid-friendly (2)Show More
- Garcon a good findWHigginsDined on 10/18/2014We enjoyed a pleasant dining experience our first time here and will definitely come back when in the neighborhood. The steak was excellently prepared medium rare and was tender and juicy; the frites, however, were standard fare you could get out of a bag; not what you would expect from a French restaurant. the duck mousse was excellent. the lowest priced wine by the glass was $9 and was good, but why are SF restaurants pushing the price of a glass of wine into the stratosphere: $14 - $18 / glass. We live in wine country folks.Special Features:
- Fun timesOpenTable Diner Since 2000VIPDined on 10/17/2014We ordered a number of dishes to share including the special rib eye and the liver pate which were both outstanding. The staff is fun and attentive. Good times!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always have a wonderful experienceSarahDDined on 10/17/2014Have been here several times and it is great for a special occasion. It's fancy and high-quality food, without being too weird and snobbish. The chocolate fondant dessert literally makes me melt. Great wine list, and tasty seasonal menu with nightly specials.Special Features:
- French Bistro shines in the MissionjonvillDined on 9/27/2014I have had two dining experiences at Garcon both of them were very enjoyable in every respect. On my last visit I had the crab and avocado salad with grapefruit. It was so good I want to go back for more! I would recommend this bistro to any person looking for a French restaurant in San Francisco.Special Features:
- Fun PlacesanjoseDined on 9/26/2014Our first experience here was very nice. Bistro feel with some very interesting dishes. Classics like french onion soup, mussels, gnocchi, but each with a unique seasoning that made them feel different and special, e.g. Lavender in the mussels - excellent. The only slightly disappointing dish were the pommes frites - not crisp at all.Special Features:
- Loved IthungryDined on 9/20/2014Great food, attentive service. Delicious Coq a Vin. A little noisy for senior ears.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good good with great serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/19/2014Good food and very friendly service. Loved French onion soup..... Highly recommended of you are looking for fun eveving with freindsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PokeyVIPDined on 9/18/2014Fabulous corn soup! The crab salad was very fresh and refreshing. A wonderful find!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth the TripFarmerJoVIPDined on 9/13/2014I live in Minnesota but when I'm in San Francisco, I always eat here. This time, we were only in town for the weekend but reserved our Saturday night to enjoy dinner at Garcon. Certainly worth it. Great food, knowledgeable staff, and buzzing atmosphere. I actually think the French staff "enhance" their accents, but I don't care because they know the food and won't steer you wrong. My date was actually "thank-you kissed" by our waiter (for intentional, swoon-provoking/big-tip-producing effect, methinks), which we were joking would have landed him in jail in Minnesota, but we both thought the whole thing was adorable. Our evening ended with a gratis calvados with our waiter and, well, then we BOTH wanted to sleep with him.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not good at alljammyVIPDined on 9/13/2014We ordered 3 steaks and fries and all three were burned. Service is slow and unattentive. price is expensive for what I got.
- Very good + convenient for showsHillfolksDined on 9/11/2014We like Garcon in general and have been many times for the food and wine choices. But a plus is they are accommodating for a quick dinner if you are attending a show in the Mission and need to be out on time. That is not always the case with other restaurants, even if they say they can when you are seated. My only suggestion is they stop using the large wood cutting boards to serve the cheese and charcuterie since the 2 and even the 4 top tables are too crowded to accommodate them once water and wine glasses are there...Special Features:
- Was goodnovak54Dined on 9/6/2014Just wasn't as top notch as my first experience...Everything was good...My daughter and boyfriend had the hanger steaks and thought they were just average...My sweetbreads appetizer was outstanding... Ended up being a pretty expensive four person dinner...Will go back...I would recommend this to a friend.
- Relaxed eveningtripleDDined on 9/4/2014The service was impeccable, friendly but not overly attentive. Our waiter never rushed us and let us leisurely completely our dinner. The evening was perfect for reconnecting with friends. Lively ambiance yet not so loud that it hindered conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We love this restaurant!AndiVIPDined on 8/24/2014It's like taking a little trip to Paris. The food is consistently wonderful. Full of flavor and really well prepared. The cheese and charcuterie plates are fabulous! Just because it is not a new restaurant, doesn't mean it's not fantastic and very trendy. But a trend that won't go out of style.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tres Bon!grammyjDined on 8/24/2014A perfect place on a perfect early Sunday evening. Arriving just after it opened we were served by an over solicitous staff, which I would much rather have than the opposite! The signature cocktails (Basil and Black Pepper) was just as incredible as other reviewers had said, the seafood (mussels, oysters, petrale sole) fresh and cooked to perfection. The pasta was just as good, and I wanted to sneak the rest of the crusty sourdough bread home in my purse. My only suggestion is to perhaps have some soft music in the background as the acoustics given the tall ceilings had a lot of echo, buy the room noise was bearable until the loudest and most obnoxious foursome came in and set next to us right as we were finishing.Special Features:
- Fantastic mealSMeistDined on 8/23/2014Five of us had dinner. Five of us had a wonderful meal and thoroughly enjoyed the dining experience. The restaurant itself is most comfortable. Our waiter was pleasant, knowledgeable, and attentive. But the food was the highlight. Between us we sampled a wide variety of appetizers and entrees - all wonderfully presented and prepared. The French onion soup and the duck confit were particularly good.Special Features:
- Good, but needs some refining...sfFoodieVIPDined on 8/21/2014The onion soup was the best we have ever had, but that's enough enough to get us to go back. I had the Steak Frites, which was small and a poor cut (of pre-sliced for you meat) with a few greens and chunky bits of fries on the side that you wouldn't expect from a french eatery (shoe string are the norm, no?). With the small portions for the prices, and a very friendly waiter who clearly could have used some help, we likely will not return, even with that amazing soup.
- Bad food with attitudecocoandfredDined on 8/21/2014Garçon refers to the waiter in a traditional french restaurant.Unfortunately,this restaurant doesn't have a hint of good french tradition.The waiter was at the bar when we walked in, barely looked like a customer. The menu is small,which I usually don't mind,but the choices are very limited and a little uninspired. I get the Steak frites,for lack of better choice and my girlfriend gets the Sole. I asked for medium rare. Food came quickly. My steak was barely warm and badly cooked, raw in some parts. The waiter argues with me that's the right cooking for it, finally takes it back for recooking and brings it back in a plate barely big enough for a coffee cup. My gf's dish was dry and blend at best. Pricey for bad service and bad food.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/21/2014I have been going to Garcon for a few years and every time I go there, I always enjoy the food, wine and atmosphere. Jerome, Chef Arthur and the rest of the staff are friendly and make the dining experience so fun. I recommend this restaurant to anyone who wants to have a fun night out with tasty food, good wine and great service.
- Great, but some bumps latelyExecutiveMomVIPDined on 8/16/2014Garcon is one of our favorite French restaurants and the food and flavors are very good. We've eaten there many, many times and enjoyed it. Lately, it seems a bit frenzied, though. Recently when we dined there our server forgot to put in our order, so we sat for over an hour with no food and then waited for our order to be put through. The owner felt bad and tried to make up for it, which we appreciated. Last time we waited 45 minutes past our reservation time and got seated by the waiters' station- we spent the meal looking at computer screens and trash bins. It was a bit difficult to enjoy our expensive bottle of wine and nice food. Meanwhile I heard a patron thank the hostess for squeezing them in and giving them a nice table. Hmm.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very CrampedKASSanFranDined on 8/16/2014Very Cramped quarters with all the tables super close so you can easily join other conversations. I ordered the Pork Tenderloin; under cooked we had to send it back; the server was clearly annoyed but no one wants to eat bleeding pork. The servers refilling the water glasses, and taking away the used dishes needed a refresher in customer service 101. Also, you need to hurry its a small place and they need to turn over the tables quicky.Special Features:
- Newly underwhelmingPurpleDaffodilVIPDined on 8/12/2014I have dined at Garcon several times and have enjoyed a nice evening and meal. But last night... The Hostess: Delightful and very helpful. The Waiter: AWOL. He took our order, and that was it. The remaining scanty service we received was from a disengaged bus boy and the aforementioned lovely hostess. I resented leaving a tip. The Food: In PEAK tomato season, the heirlooms were hard and flavorless. They probably weren't even organic. There were like something you might pick up in the produce section of a discount supermarket. I'd have taken that dish off the menu if that's all I had to serve in it. Noise: Over the top! Could barely converse. Bottom Line: I may try Garcon again at some point but I'll be giving the place a good long rest.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quelle SurpriseDickinsonDined on 8/9/2014We really enjoyed it here. I had requested a good and quiet table, as this was to be a birthday dinner. They gave us the best in the house, in the corner of the back room. Very nice, thanks! The food was great. Do not miss the crab and avocado salad if it is on the menu. Don't make the mistake of planning to split it. You'll each wish you had your own (as we did). The rest of the meal was excellent, too. The service was very attentive, especially considering that it was peak time on Saturday night. The waiter brought us a little lagniappe at the end of our meal, too (I know that the chef/owner from New Orleans will know what I mean by that) of a taste of a Calvados, after I'd expressed a newly found passion for it. Thx, great meal!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious foodPattyDined on 8/8/2014Had dinner that was so delicious! Had the Coq au Vin and scallops. shared a lobster salad and desert. All very good. Also, great service. And their drinks were yummy too.Special Features:
- Love it,,,again!GarretVIPDined on 8/2/2014This place is one of my favorites! The French food is great, casual style, amazing and affordable wine list. Most of all , the entire staff (especially Pierre) are amazing!!!! This is a place I always bring friends!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sweet, sweet breadutingmeDined on 8/2/2014The Mission offers such eclectic and fine dining experiences and Garcon is my new go-to in the area for their wine and spirits selection paired with very tasty French dishes. My dishes: bone marrow, corn soup, veal sweet bread. My goodness, everything was wonderfully balanced and enjoyable. The staff was attentive, friendly, and respectful. Will definitely be back to try the rest of the menu :DSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a pleasureADinerVIPDined on 8/2/2014The best steak frites ever! Nice, casual ambiance and service. You can just sit back and relax.Special Features:
- FoodieVIPDined on 7/31/2014Food was pretty good. Pasta a little overlooked and warm not hot...try the French dishes and stay away from any pasta dishesI would recommend this to a friend.
- hungrycoupleDined on 7/26/2014food excellent, and healthy. service great. mix up in kitchen resulted in long wait for dinnerSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty at a costWillyumDined on 7/25/2014The food was somewhat unique and very tasty. Service far better than most places. Cost of main courses seemed high but reasonable. Appetizers, sides,drinks and deserts unjustifiably expensive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good French CuisineYossieDined on 7/23/2014We had a Duck Liver Pate that was excellent. A fair Gazpacho. A very good Coq au Vin (smallish portion) Excellent Duck Breast (subbing for Confit) Deserts included an excellent Creme Brule, a good Profiterole and a very good chocolate dipped mini-sorbet selection. Wine list was certainly fine. Noise level was a bit high and our table was somewhat uncomfortable sitting for three. I would and will go back..Special Features:
- Parisian BistroGJSFVIPDined on 7/18/2014Best vibe on the Valencia corridor! Great food and drink...authentic staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Magnifique!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/18/2014Whenever sweetbreads are on a menu we try them and these were superb with the whole grain mustard tang of the sauce and the maitake mushroom smokiness. Also side of shaved brussel sprouts went perfectly with the pork tenderloin in an amazing molasses sauce. Waiter was french, which added to the ambience. His suggestions were excellent. Fun and lively with serious bistro food.Special Features:
- Not for "old folks!"idellaDined on 7/18/2014Not that Garcon needs business, as obviously popular as it is BUT as much as we enjoyed the service and our meals, the noise was 6 bells at least - intolerable for us over sixty....the convenience to The Marsh is great.Special Features:
- birthday celebrationcc15Dined on 7/15/2014We dined on a Tuesday night. At 6:00 it was quiet and our table was nice. The service was wonderful, didn't feel rushed. On Tuesday nights you can bring your own wine without a corkage fee. The wait staff was happy to open it for us. We brought two bottles of french wine. We shared a taste with our waiter who was impressed my husband knew something about french wines. We had our 12 year old daughter with us which was wonderful and she was treated like she was part of the group. The whole staff was friendly, smiling and fun. I had the steak and truffle fries and it was out of this world good. Located in the Mission and thriving with people strolling Valencia street. Street parking was easy. Can't wait to return.Special Features:
- Not as good as it use to be...OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/11/2014Forgot my frits with the "steak frites!" Timing was way off, from the 40 min wait for a reserved table, to getting our salad before our cocktail was finished, the delay with the entre and then the long wait for the bill. Didn't like our seats back in corner near kitchen. Would have rather sit in front, however people with no reservations were given these (better) seats while we were given these seats (with reservation). Chef should spend less time talking to customers and more time in kitchen. So many better places to go.
- Great Food! Great Service!WineEmDined on 7/6/2014This was our fourth time eating here. We really enjoy ourselves and the food each time we go. This time was no different. The staff was very friendly and because it was 1) a Sunday and 2) a holiday weekend it was quieter than normal. What made our time there especially nice was the fact that we were celebrating our 1 year anniversary and we had the whole back room to ourselves. We stared with the truffled fromage blanc and oysters on the half shell with pink peppercorn mignonette (delicious) and for dinner we had duck confit and the fish! Both plates were completely bare! Dessert was Delightful!Special Features:
- Always exceeds our expectations!DanielDined on 7/4/2014The cocktails, food and service keep us coming back to this neighborhood gem. Great oysters, escargot and mussels. Great staff and fun customers!!Special Features:
- Third Time CharmingjohnnydajewelerDined on 7/3/2014This is our third time at Garcon and it gets better every time. Charming French bistro atmosphere, wonderful service, and food cooked and presented to perfection. And no, I am not related to the owner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious as AlwaysPaulKDined on 7/1/2014Garcon is always a treat. Brought my Dad, who always seems to want French food and he wasn't disappointed. The chef pays great attention to detail, particularly making sure the meat or fish is cooked to perfect tenderness. We all ended up selecting a couple appetizers rather than an entree, mostly because we couldn't limit ourselves to just one dish. The desserts were really fun and inventive, as well. It's not inexpensive, but I consider Garcon a bargain considering the quality of food and wine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.