Garces Trading Company
1111 Locust Street
Philadelphia, PA 19107Neighborhood:
EuropeanPrice: $30 and under
Garces Trading Company
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.garcestradingcompany.com/
- Phone: 215-574-1099
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 5:00pm, Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 11:00am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Dessert, European, Contemporary European
- Executive Chef: Jose Garces
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Delivery, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Bring your favorite Garces Trading Co. specialties to your next event. Garces Catering brings the joy of sharing special occasions with our restaurant guests to any celebration, anywhere. Please call, 215-670-2381 for more information or email email@example.com
- Entertainment: If you book a private event at Garces Trading Co, our event coordinators can provide you with unique entertainment options for your party.
- Special Events: Designed to reflect the style of chic European markets, the multi-purpose space features a wide open floor plan that can accommodate events both large and small. If you’re looking for a creative gift for your attendees, Garces Trading Company has a unique selection of house-made and imported foods to select from. Wine from the adjacent boutique provides the perfect complement to your European bistro-style event.
Capacity: 32 seated / 40 standing
Capacity: 30 standing reception
The Salon & Retail Corridor
Capacity: 55 standing reception
Capacity: 18 seated
Capacity: 90 seated / 120 standing reception
For parties of 12 or more, please call our private events team to schedule your reservation at 267-284-7979 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
A word from Garces Trading Company
Garces Trading Company is a gourmet market/cafe with a European flair. Perfect for a quick in-and-out or a casual sit down meal. This multi-purpose space features a host of house made and imported foods under the Garces Trading Company label including olive oils and vinegars, charcuterie and Chef Garces’ signature coffeeContinued
Paella Valenciana, El Cubano Clásico, Charcuterie & Cheese, Coq au Vin, Carbonated cocktails, fresh fruit sangrias and an extensive European wine list.
Paella Valenciana, El Cubano Clásico, Charcuterie & Cheese, Coq au Vin, Carbonated cocktails, fresh fruit sangrias and an extensive European wine list.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Garces Trading Company reviews from OpenTable diners
268 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (169)neighborhood gem (106)good for groups (95)notable wine list (67)great for lunch (64)great for outdoor dining (60)special occasion (60)great for brunch (52)hot spot (47)romantic (25)kid-friendly (22)vibrant bar scene (19)late-night find (10)scenic view (3)Show More
- FantasticOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/15/2014We came for Philly's restaurant week, and although it wasn't the regular menu, it was fabulous. Our server was friendly, helpful, and non obtrusive, always politely waiting until the course was finished. We had some delicious Spanish cheeses, light but complex Italian sausage flatbread, and perfectly prepared hangar steak with duck fat (!!) fries and some fantastic scallops as entrees. The cognac punch was a great pair with the steak. Very impressed with the bar service. I can't wait until come back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great CarbonaraScienceVIPDined on 9/15/2014Went for the restaurant week dinner. The meat plate was a bit lame (i think). But the pizza was pretty good and the steak. But the best one was the carbonara. It was damn good. One thing I really got to mention is the wine by the glass. The price of each glass was more than the whole bottle!!!! There is always a markup. But this is way too much. Even the bottle prices were almost 7 to 8 times more. I haven't seen that much of a price hike. It was disappointing.Special Features:
- Steak Frites!JeanVIPDined on 9/14/2014Garces provided the kind of Restaurant Week dining experience that others should emulate! Wonderful 4 course meal for $35 including a variety of salads, soups, charcuterie, cheeses, and flatbreads. My dining partner and I had steak frites for the main course and it was fabulous - the best I've had in any Philly restaurant. Of course, a light and delicious almond panna cotta ended a perfect meal. I have been to Garces many time and have never been disappointed. Though they now have full bar offerings including cocktails, wine and beer, dine on Tuesdays and there is no corkage fee for your BYO.Special Features:
- 3/5 because....OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/14/2014Food great, Service polite, restaurant clean&friendly, Time for food to come out HORRENDOUS. Everyone who greeted us or served my family of 6 was outstanding, except for one girl who dropped a fork on my niece. Griffin, our waiter was great. Food was fantastic--leek soup, cheese plate, flatbread pizza, scallops risotto, carbonarra (wow!!), steak frites--amazing!! But we were seated BEFORE two tables of 6, and those people were served at a MUCH faster pace--at least a HALF HOUR faster!!--than us. how do I know? b/c we were STARVING waiting for our food, and couldn't believe that they were either on dessert or leaving before we got our entrees! I read previous reviews saying the same--they're right. I don't understand how this happens...Special Features:
- Great Restaurant Week MenuhealthyeaterDined on 9/13/2014Visited GTC with a group of 6 on a Saturday night during restaurant week. The limited offerings were varied and offered something even for those with dietary restrictions. Our group ordered a variety of dishes from the 4 course menu, and everyone raved about their food. Service was a bit slow, but our server rallied to get us out in time for our theater tickets. Will definitely return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mediocre Restaurant Week offeringMbreakirVIPDined on 9/13/2014I had been looking forward to trying this restaurant and so met friends for lunch before going to the theatre. It was restaurant week and the fixed price/limited option was $20. It was uninspired and not even particularly tasty - a yogurt with some granola on top as first course, a tasteless frittata second, and a very small bite of chocolate cake to finish. The chocolate was good but tiny. Not a good demo of what I imagine they can do here. I won't bother going back. Probably better not to participate in restaurant week if not going to do it well.
- Great service great mealJhaverdiDined on 9/12/2014I Went here during restaurant week with my boyfriend and had an amazing time. The service was great and the good was absolutely amazing. One of the best steaks I've ever had. I deffinatly reccomend this restaurant!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Only OkMB93VIPDined on 9/11/2014I was expecting a lot from Garces Trading Company and went for restaurant week. First, the service was incredibly slow which is a bad way to start the meal. Then, the salad I ordered had only one tiny slice of tomato on top of the lettuce and none of the other things that were supposed to be there. The kitchen took almost 20 minutes to remake the salad. The desserts were cloyingly sweet. All in all, though there were some good corses, I was disappointed. I won't be going back.
- Good fine diningOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/11/2014Great fine dining place with wide selection of olive oils/vinegar e.g. truffle oil. Enjoyed the experience.Special Features:
- Extremely Slow ServiceSusanbDined on 9/10/2014Having never been to Garces and hearing about it, I hoped they lived up to the hype. We started our evening w/Pear Sangria; it was great. The bartenders suggested we stay and dine at the bar because they would be more attentive; after the service we received, the bartenders were probably right. Our server took his time getting our order, forgot silverware and didn't bring what was forgotten. The Vichyssoise Chaud was spectacular; The Saffron Trenette was tasty despite the grit and a half hour wait for Cadeau that sadly arrived in a bed of melted ice cream left me underwhelmed. We ordered bottled water that another server topped off with tap water. Our service wasn't the best and this jaded my entire dining experience.Special Features:
- Pre TheatreKAP35VIPDined on 9/10/2014Had tickets to the theatre which is right around the corner, it was also restaurant week menu limited but selections offered were varied. Service was excellent and our waiter knew we were going to the show and made sure we were not rushed with our meal. He was knowledgeable and attentive. Would love to go back when full menu selection is available. Scallop Risota was awesome as was the fresh mozzarella!!Special Features:
- Food AllergyTheLegDined on 9/10/2014My wife is allergic to asparagus, the dish she ordered had it in it, but it was not listed on the menu! Otherwise, it was very good & the waiter was very apologetic!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love Restaurant Weekalwaysup4goodfoodDined on 9/9/2014Really enjoyed Garces Trading Company during Restaurant Week. The food was delicious. Have gone a couple of times since it opened, and the food has always been good. The wine selection is interesting and what we ordered tasted great. Only complaint is it's a little too noisy and feels crowded when the restaurant is full. It's lively and upbeat, but I just prefer it when it's not as crowded and not too noisy. Always look forward to returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great little gem!!FlyerfanrnDined on 9/8/2014This place was great to try for Restaurant Week. Mike the bartender was amazing! Service was a little slow at the beginning but it stepped up after finally acing our order. Everything was delicious!! Would definitely recommend!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Meh...bandbDined on 9/7/2014Ate outside on the first day of Restaurant Week. We were looking forward to a great meal from the Garces Group. The service was not good. They forgot various silverware (soup & dessert spoons, replacement fork) and had to go inside to get them, taking forever while the food sat in front of us. I kept having to remind random servers that I had ordered bottled water and asking for bread. The food was so-so. Charcuterie and cheese were good, flat bread pizza was ordinary, vichyssoise chaud was good (but why call it vichyssoise if it wasn't cold?), scallops in the risotto were gritty. If this was just a regular restaurant I would be more forgiving, but this was my guest's first time at a Garces restaurant. Needles to say he was not impressed.Special Features:
- Great RW MenuOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/7/2014I've previously been to Garces Trading Co and had a wonderful experience so wanted to dine there for Restaurant Week. The menu was extensive and offered 4+ choices for each course. The service was fantastic, the food was delicious and the energy in Garces Trading Co is a great spot to catch up with friends, have a romantic evening or for any occassion that encourages a night out in the city!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Sunday Brunch in Philly!4goldenlifeDined on 9/7/2014Enjoyed a delicious outside brunch with my husband this weekend. The food was high quality and super delicious! Staff was attentive and we liked the fact we didn't feel rushed between our food courses. Will definitely consider going back in the future!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/6/2014Shrimp risotto was excellent. Pasta with pancetta and corn was bland. Cheeses were excellent.Special Features:
- DisappointedJpd2VIPDined on 9/4/2014Although we informed our server as soon we were seated that we were going to the theater and had a definite time by which we had to leave we waited for close to an hour for our dinners to be served. Prior to that it took quite a while until anyone took our beverage order and even longer until it was filled ( partially correct). We were told repeatedly that our dinners were on their way...from where?
- DisappointingDebbyVIPDined on 9/4/2014We had 5:45 reservations because we were going to the Forrest Theater at 7:30. Both the hostess and our server were told about our show tickets and each said "no problem" and that they would "expedite" our entrees. Drinks and appetizers showed up around 6:30 so we reminded our server and a manager of our time frame. After repeated requests, our entrees were finally served at 7:00, leaving us only 20 minutes to finish dinner and pay our bill. The food was not what we expected from a Garces kitchen, over salted and only fair in quality. This was a disappointing evening which was poorly handled by management and no one in our party will return to Garces Trading Company.
- Really great lunch spotStarvingartistVIPDined on 9/3/2014I think the dinner's overshadow the lunches which is a shame. It's a great place to have lunch- especially the salads and flat breads.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JackieVIPDined on 9/1/2014The food was OK here, but I should note that I am biased because I am a vegetarian. Unlike many restaurants in Philadelphia, when we asked about accommodating their tasting menu to suit one vegetarian and one non-vegetarian, they had difficulty with this task, resulting in my fiance having to eat mostly vegetarian food except for the final course before dessert. He loved his chicken dish, but overall, neither of us were very impressed with the vegetarian food.Special Features:
- Old macaronsMimmiDined on 8/31/2014The food was good, nothing special. The service was good, but we ordered macarons for dessert and they were old, Very hard and dry! When I took a bite the rest of the macaron fell in ten small pieces. A perfect macaron is going to be soft and chewy! I told the waitress but he didnt offer us new ones or removed the macarons from the check! We are not coming back after this incident, I expect more and better service when Im at a restaurant!!Special Features:
- Great ScenenjseadooerVIPDined on 8/31/2014Our first visit to the Trading Co and must say that even thought the menu was limited and on Sunday there were no specials, the food and service was great. I had one of their Cabernets which was great. they also have a small little wine store within the restaurant as well. i would definitely go back on a night that they have specials. I also noticed that they had great happy hour specials at the bar. they were also accommodating to my daughters tree nut allergy considering most items had nuts in them. Unfortunately we could not have any dessert because every items had nuts in the recipeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not as good as usualJudeWestDined on 8/31/2014We have been visiting The Trading Company since it opened. The food is good, (not great these days) and other things have taken a slide and it robs so much from the dining experience now. The menu seemed so limited this weekend. No specials, no warm appetizers, and the bread was not of the high quality we remember. The kitchen staff must have been in need of a few extra hands as we waited for 45 minutes for my husband's lamb chops. We miss the special bakery section and the more friendly atmosphere the entire restaurant used to generate. Now, sadly, when my husband asks me where would you like to go to eat? ... I highly doubt Garces Trading Company will be the first words to leave my lips.Special Features:
- Need to go againNBH86Dined on 8/31/2014It's my fault I only left an hour to eat and couldn't do the tasting menu. I'll certainly be back with a better plan for timing. The wine I had (urban - Reisling) was perfect. I'd had it years ago but is tough to find in PA so that was great. And there is a wine store (closed on Sunday when I went) but I'll be in there in the future too. I had the lamb, it was spot on. Only detraction was waiting on the bartender while I waited for my date to arrive.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Glad we tried it!eagereaterDined on 8/31/2014Menu choices smaller than we expected and lacking some info - we had to ask if protein could be added to a salad and whether we could order duck fat fries as a side order. But food was fresh and delicious. Try the pear margherita! Our waiter kindly asked if we were on our way to the theater to make sure our meal was served in a timely manner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Starting to think its a brand issueOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/31/2014I must say my partner and I were very disappointed. I'm starting to think perhaps its a brand issue. I was at Mercat in Chicago and the food was good but the service was horrible. GTC was unfortunately a horrid combination of bad food and bad service.
- Great spot near theaterMikitaDined on 8/28/2014Nice spot right near the Forrest Theater. We went for a light meal before the show. Home made mozzarella is awesome. Try all the different oils and vinegars for your bread. Flatbread and duck salad great as well. Dessert was ok.Special Features:
- I loved their brunch but...EstroVIPDined on 8/27/2014I was there for brunch and was so amazed so i said i have to come back for dinner. such disappointment... the service was amazing. no complains on that level. but the food was fair, small portions that are overpriced and to be honest was not worth the experience. such contradiction to their amazing brunch. it's a pity their dinner didn't live up to my expectations.Special Features:
- Perfect on TuesdayFoodGuyVIPDined on 8/26/2014Food is really well prepared and I have never had a dish that was not impressive. Show up with an appetite and have the all you can eat steak frittes for the table. The steak is a delicious flat iron with choice of sauces, and they do keep it coming. Within Garces is a wine store that has a number of reasonably priced, quality options. On Tuesday they have no corkage fee if you choose to purchase the wine and bring it to your table. This is a fantastic value for such a nice convenience. I will be back!Special Features:
- mpsanfordDined on 8/25/2014My boyfriend and I went to Garces Trading Company for a dinner date and had a great experience. The service was excellent and the food was divine. I have already recommended the restaurant to many friends.Special Features:
- Good this timemanger123VIPDined on 8/21/2014I wax and wan on this place. The service can be spotty--not so this time. On previous visits, the place was packed--for whatever reason, this time it was fairly empty (Thurs. p.m. at 8), and that may have been the reason that there was better service. I would eat here again, but it would not be on my top 10 lists of places to go.Special Features:
- Okay food and okay serviceGabbyDined on 8/21/2014I had very high expectations for this restaurant and I was truly disappointed. The food was good; I had the short rib, which was okay, but it came with a delicious vegetable purée. The service was very slow and we were severely neglected by the served several times.Special Features:
- Another Garces GemvisitorDined on 8/16/20143 for 3 on Jose Garces restaurants. Food fabulous, well prepared, unique, priced fairly. It was great.Special Features:
- Loved it!EmmebeeVIPDined on 8/16/2014Everything we had was delicious. Definitely get the house made mozzarella. And the staff was super friendly, too. The manager came over, said hello, asked how we were doing. Overall delicious food and friendly service. Will definitely go back again. And I thought it was inexpensive, especially considering the high caliber of food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great pre show spotMoeatsVIPDined on 8/16/2014We enjoy going here before shows in the area. The scallop risotto was wonderful and just enough.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good menu, Tight seatingRonaldDined on 8/15/2014The food was good, the service was prompt if a bit impersonal (our waiter was all-business, not a lot of personality). Was a very good tasting menu for people who maybe don't want the "adventure" that some other tasting menus might offer. Unique and delicious items, but nothing too intimidating for the less adventurous eater. We did not partake in the wine, but the wine list was extensive and impressive. The beer selection was good, not great if you're really into trying different craft beers.Special Features:
- good food, small portionsGrubbyDined on 8/15/2014Appetizers of flatbread pizza and cheese plate were sovery skimpy for the price. Entrees of shortribs and roast chicken were very good but not large. Good for small appetites or big wallets.
- Tasty bits & cocktails pre-theaterfoodiegalDined on 8/15/2014Wonderful small plates and cocktails - perfect before catching an 8pm show. We had wonderful service - we only had 90 mins and the friendly staff got us in and out without ever feeling rushed. We will go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.