Garage Restaurant and Cafe
99 7th Avenue South
New York, NY 10014Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Garage Restaurant and Cafe
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.garagejazz.com/
- Phone: 2126450600
- Hours of Operation:
Kitchen: Lunch: Monday - Friday: 12:00pm - 4:00pm Dinner: Sunday - Wednesday: 4:00pm - 2:00am, Thursday: 4:00pm - 2:30am, Friday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 3:00am Brunch: Saturday & Sunday 11:30am - 4:00pm Bar: Sunday - Thursday: 12:00pm - 3:00am Friday & Saturday: 12:00pm - 4:00am Live Jazz: Monday & Tuesday: 17 piece Big Band Jazz, 2 seatings 7:30pm & 9:30pm Then from 11:30pm - 2:30am Live Jazz Weds & Thursday: Live Jazz from 6:00pm - 2:30am Friday: Live Jazz from 6:30pm - 3:00am Saturday: Live Jazz Brunch from 12:00pm - 4:00pm Then Live Jazz from 6:30 - 3:00am Sunday: Live Jazz Brunch from 12:00pm - 4:00pm Then Live Jazz from 6:00 - 2:30am
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Gregg Berk
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Delivery, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Garage Restaurant & Café (“The Best Spot To Park In The Village”) creates excellent events for groups of 10-250 people. Whether it’s a sit-down dinner with Jazz or a large buffet-style dinner with dancing, we can plan the perfect event for you.
- Private Party Contact: David Shenk 2126450600
- Entertainment: Live Jazz seven nights a week; Sat and Sun jazz brunch; Late night music till 3:00am; 17 piece big band on Monday and Tuesday nights - two seatings for dinner on Monday and Tuesday
A word from Garage Restaurant and Cafe
What used to be a garage in the 20's is now a casual American restaurant famous for its live Jazz & late night meals. Out-of-towners & locals alike dive into the a la carte dinners & Prix Fixe Brunches while watching the show. In the summer, the outdoor cafe is an airy spot for micro-brewed beers, raw bar selections & a wide range of fresh seafood & grilled steaks. In the winter, tables around the stone fireplace warm crowds.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Garage Restaurant and Cafe reviews from OpenTable diners
60 reviews since July 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
great for brunch (32)neighborhood gem (25)good for groups (22)special occasion (19)great for outdoor dining (16)hot spot (15)fit for foodies (14)great for lunch (13)vibrant bar scene (12)late-night find (12)romantic (10)notable wine list (6)kid-friendly (4)scenic view (2)Show More
- Jazz 5 stars, Food 2 starsJoannmVIPDined on 10/26/2014First the good stuff: We were seated promptly in a great table upstairs overlooking the band (I strongly suggest if you want to talk during your meal to get the upstairs table). The jazz band was outstanding. Decor was adorable. The food sounded a lot better on the menu than what it tasted like. The mushroom, spinach and brie cheese omelet was slightly overdone. It came with ONE slice of (what they said was) wheat bread - stone cold and some silly breakfast MASHED potatoes. The unlimited mimosas were PRE-MIXED and mostly orange juice and costs an additional $6 per person. The dessert was good. I would probably go back but not to eat.Special Features:
- great Jazz great Food great ServiceFGoldenDined on 10/16/2014We had a great dinner, with surprisingly good service. They were serving a group of 60 while we were there and they did not miss a beat. Our service was never impaired.Special Features:
- Date nightCDdatenightDined on 10/14/2014The food is kind of pricey, I spent $190 for apps dinner and a few drinks. The Jazz band was awesome but the food was over price. I’ll eat at the bar next time. Happy hour is only at the bar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bottomless BrunchJenniferDined on 10/12/2014We came here for a birthday brunch because we researched the best places for bottomless drinks during brunch. They did not disappoint. The drinks were notably alcoholic and came in rapid succession unlike some places that take forever to give you a refill. The food was nothing special, but it was definitely prompt even though they had a few large groups to deal with also. Overall, a great experience.Special Features:
- Good food and music - perfect matchNancDined on 10/5/2014I looked a number of jazz spots and this spot had good reviews. The dinner wa great and we were very impressed with the jazz group particularly the piano player.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Weekend Jazz Brunchazb3214Dined on 10/4/2014Great Jazz brunch. Music was fantastic, brunch menu had a lot of options. The surf and turf benedict was incredible.Special Features:
- An excellent mealNotafoodieDined on 10/3/2014All 4 of us ordered different entries & they were all delicious!Special Features:
- GOOD FOOD AND JAZZ IN THE VILLAGE1KTravelerVIPDined on 10/2/2014I had the Garage Mussels and the Pinwheel Salmon. The mussels were served in a nice broth with garlic and tomatoes, and were very satisfying. The salmon was moist and tasty, served over a bed of spinach and fingerling potatoes. This is a solid food option for those in the West Village looking to see great jazz. The Ben Patterson Organ Trio was outstanding and really set a great mood for the room.Special Features:
- Accommodating staff, good dealDCbruncherDined on 9/28/2014The hostess was very gracious when my party was around 20 minutes late and doubled in size. The bottomless mimosas were a good value and the wait staff was very friendly. Food was not phenomenal, but we had a great time and enjoyed the jazzSpecial Features:
- A Great Place!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/14/2014We loved the menu and the food was fantastic!!!!! We had a mixture of brunch and lunch and we highly recommend it to anyone! The service was great and the jazz music was a perfect back drop!Special Features:
- always a faveOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/14/2014Visit here every time we are in the city for late night snack, drinks and jazz. Always comfortable and fun. My fave neighborhood spot in the Village.Special Features:
- Great ambiance, terrible serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/13/2014We had a party of 6 on a Saturday night, however, the table was plated for 5 rather than 6 people. Our waiter did not stop by to take our order for another 15 minutes. Service was extremely slow the entire night. However, food and jazz were great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary DinnerMichaelVDined on 9/13/2014I planned an evening out with my wife for our anniversary. We were going to a show in Brooklyn and the restaurant there that I hoped to dine at was closed for a private party. I started looking for restaurants in the village close to parking and the F train and found the Garage on Open Table. We were about 40 minutes early and would have been fine at the bar. We were immediately seated on the second level overlooking the restaurant and bar below. The three piece jazz ensemble was a great addition. The food was terrific and this was an overall great experience. We will definitely return to the garage with friends.Special Features:
- Fun jazzy dinnerKatherineDined on 9/9/2014I bought a groupon for this restuarant, and chose it based only off the menu and how delicious all the food sounded. I was pleasantly suprised when I went in for dinner and realized they played live jazz music every night! The music was great, a little too loud every once in a while, but definitely a great atmosphere and a lot of fun! The food was exactly what I had expected from the menu, delicious!!!! I would 100% recommend the Sea Bass!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/7/2014Usually has a great food. Not the same on the Sunday night though. Good wine selection.Special Features:
- Expected morefoodloverVIPDined on 9/7/2014That jazz brunch... The music was nice. The food was okay, not great. The service surly. The Bloody Mary - watery.Special Features:
- Great ExperienceTripLover99Dined on 9/5/2014Our second visit there. For our second visit in NY a must go. The live Jazz there and the excellent food makes it an evening to remember. The service is also very good. They bring the wine for the main course as specified and the espresso after the desert as requested. This is not standard. They don't ask for a minimum spend or a fee for the music. The food is a little more expensive but it is worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic experienceErinDined on 9/5/2014Great jazz, incredible food, and beautiful setting. What more could you ask for date night with the mister?Special Features:
- Couldn't wait to leaveexplorenyDined on 8/24/2014We went to The Garage specifically for the Jazz Brunch. The Jazz was good, the Brunch was not. The quality of the food was like a bad diner. Service wasn't bad, it was just minimal, like a bad diner. The atmosphere wasn't pleasant, as in 'come in, enjoy your meal, enjoy the music' - it felt more like an assembly line. I wouldn't go back and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.
- good for groupMagdaVIPDined on 8/24/2014There was 5 of us for the Jazz brunch. The trio was very good, the service ecellent, and the food was very good. The waitress was very accomadating and cheerful. The music was in the backround and we did not have any trouble talking most of the time (except during a drum solo)Special Features:
- Not as good as I recall...SkeeechDined on 8/23/2014I almost always go to the garage for dinner when I am in New York. I ordered the steak frites with a side of steamed broccoli. The steak and fries were fine but the broccoli could have been hotter. We sat outside and the passers by on the street did not hesitate to pan handle.Special Features:
- Food entertainment and service.GreetneatDined on 8/16/2014The evening was wonderful. The smooth jazz quartet was talented. Our server and busboy amazing and the papardelli and langastina Delish. My fiancé had mussells. We shared. It was a little expensive. We had a groupon which was accepted as though it were cash.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Jazz Brunch reviewAnnoyedDined on 8/16/2014The jazz band was excellent. THe food was fine. For a coffee refill, we were asked to pay an extra 5.00 for the unlimited beverage option. We were initially taken to the upper level, which had a view of the jazz band and the lower level, however it was so dark, we thought they had a problem with the electricity. We were told that the lower level was unavailable, it was for customers who made reservations (most tables were empty, and it was already 12:45pm). I told him I had made reservations through Open Table, he made a face, huffed, and took us to the lower level where there was more light. Still dark. When the bill came, the lights immediately dimmed. I had to take out the flashlight on my phone. I will not return for brunch.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/14/2014Poor rude service and bland food.. Disappointed Jazz was decent though
- Almost GoodAllthatJazzDined on 8/12/2014The Garage has a good room for listening to the jazz that plays there every night. While it has no cover, the entertainment cost is built into the food and drink bill. Not a bad deal overall, but expect to pay above average prices for mediocre food. While the menu has some great offerings, the plates come out with that catering hall, mass produced look and feel. The servers were terrific and the music first rate. Note that we were a party of six, and a gratuity was added to our bill.
- The Garage is a gemWriterMarkDined on 8/3/2014The Garage in Greenwich Village is one of New York's most precious gems. The food is always excellent. Staff are friendly and efficient. The atmosphere is the best. The musicians who perform here are the cream of the crop. I visit New York City regularly and have tried hundreds of restaurants. The Garage is my favorite. Unlike many of the city's jazz clubs, you get your own table; you aren't crammed into small spaces with several people you don't know sharing your table. Spacious, lots of arm room, great food, the best music in town. Who could ask for anything better? I like to try new places, but Garage is a setting that I try to visit every time I'm in New York, whether I'm there with my 16-year-old daughter or adult friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Jazz BrunchFancyNancyDined on 8/3/2014We very much enjoyed the Jazz Brunch with the Ben Healy trio. Thanks for accommodating our grandson. The food was delicious and we loved the music. The stuffed French Toast was especially good.Special Features:
- lovely placeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/28/2014Amazing service, food and jazz music. The place is worth every penny. A must visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- awfulMARTYVIPDined on 7/20/2014we went for Sunday brunch. It was a great disappointment and not worth the trip from uptown. In addition to a long wait, my French toast was burned and very skimpy - I got only 3 small half slices on a plate and that's it. My husband ordered eggs benedict. The eggs were over cooked and instead of home fries - which is a staple - it came with very dry mashed potatoes.
- Don't get too excited, but it's okOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/20/2014The food is much less than memorable, sorry to say. I had the tuna burger, it was not great. A friend had the eggs benedict and I've never seen such a dry looking plate of benedicts before. Went for bottomless mimosas/bloody mary's which were decent, definitely on the weaker side which I'd prefer less stiff drinks than more weak ones. We picked the place because it had live music, which I enjoyed, though it was incredibly loud, making it hard to have conversation.Special Features:
- Great jazz brunchAAdamsDined on 7/19/2014Went to Garage for my birthday brunch. It had great jazz music playing and we were seated promptly. It was a bit dark however, and while the food was good it wasn't amazing. Drinks were average -- hopefully bigger for the AYCD brunch special. Overall, though, the atmosphere made up for the average food -- I would definitely come back at night for a few drinks and some music.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Usually betterArego143Dined on 7/18/2014Kind of disappointed on our last visit. Brother ordered. Steak medium rare came to the table well done, ordered 2 Merlots and 1 white wine waiter brought us 3 merlot. Lack of attention that is usually ther was missingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 998 reviews are from the Garage Restaurant and Cafe reviews archive.
- Great Jazz + Great FoodNYC4HDLDined on 6/28/2014I was a bit early for our reservation, the table was ready, and I was seated promptly. The band was playing, and I enjoyed a couple glasses of wine while I waited for the rest of the party. We took our time deciding, and and the wait staff did not rush us. Great recommendations from our waitress, and the food was excellent! All-in-all, it was a great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not up to ParParrotheadDined on 6/15/2014I have eaten at The Garage a few times before. On Father's Day the restaurant was nearly empty at dinner time. The food was not very good . When we had a problem with dessert the waitress was condescending and told us the kitchen was giving her a hard time. The menu never mentioned berries being on the dessert and I am allergic It was the first time ever that a waitress tried to convince me to eat it anyway because the strawberries were only on the top and the rest was raspberries We hade a large bill to pay and if the 18% was already included in the bill she wouldn't have gotten it. Not going back there again. One to be disappointed in the food, the service and the music (singer especially) Only 3 tables had people dining at them.
- First brunchDLopezDined on 6/8/2014The food was very good. The waitress messed up on our order & rarely ever checked on our table so we often had empty glasses & empty plates. Id probably only do take out from here since the food was great but the service was not very goodSpecial Features:
- strawberryVIPDined on 5/31/2014We went to see Champian Fulton but the food and drink were both very good, just very pricey.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable brunchLoveTheJazzDined on 5/25/2014Went here for brunch with my girlfriend. I thoroughly enjoyed the live music and the Farmer's Omelet was delicious. The French toast was sub par though and was lukewarm when we got it. The waiter was somewhat condescending throughout the meal and did not appreciate taking the French Toast back to be heated up. May have just been on off day though.Special Features:
- Live Jazz and foodDiningNYC2013Dined on 5/10/2014This is a good restaurant with live Jazz. Service is also good. Food was good. My only criticisms might be that the decor as well as cocktails need updating. Also, dinner is pricey.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MagicalsaidyesDined on 5/6/2014Great food and Aeesome Live Band!!! The best enviroment dor Romance. Great evening I picked the right restaurant to ask my girlfriend to marry me. She said Yes!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go for music, not foodBirthdayDinnerMehDined on 5/3/2014Our food was ok at best. The music was great. Avoid the langoustines special - it was sub-par. The Steak Salad was good.Special Features: