Garage Restaurant and Cafe
99 7th Avenue South
New York, NY 10014Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Garage Restaurant and Cafe
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.garagejazz.com/
- Phone: 2126450600
- Hours of Operation:
Kitchen: Lunch: Monday - Friday: 12:00pm - 4:00pm Dinner: Sunday - Wednesday: 4:00pm - 2:00am, Thursday: 4:00pm - 2:30am, Friday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 3:00am Brunch: Saturday & Sunday 11:30am - 4:00pm Bar: Sunday - Thursday: 12:00pm - 3:00am Friday & Saturday: 12:00pm - 4:00am Live Jazz: Monday & Tuesday: 17 piece Big Band Jazz, 2 seatings 7:30pm & 9:30pm Then from 11:30pm - 2:30am Live Jazz Weds & Thursday: Live Jazz from 6:00pm - 2:30am Friday: Live Jazz from 6:30pm - 3:00am Saturday: Live Jazz Brunch from 12:00pm - 4:00pm Then Live Jazz from 6:30 - 3:00am Sunday: Live Jazz Brunch from 12:00pm - 4:00pm Then Live Jazz from 6:00 - 2:30am
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Gregg Berk
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Delivery, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Garage Restaurant & Café (“The Best Spot To Park In The Village”) creates excellent events for groups of 10-250 people. Whether it’s a sit-down dinner with Jazz or a large buffet-style dinner with dancing, we can plan the perfect event for you.
- Private Party Contact: David Shenk 2126450600
- Entertainment: Live Jazz seven nights a week; Sat and Sun jazz brunch; Late night music till 3:00am; 17 piece big band on Monday and Tuesday nights - two seatings for dinner on Monday and Tuesday
A word from Garage Restaurant and Cafe
What used to be a garage in the 20's is now a casual American restaurant famous for its live Jazz & late night meals. Out-of-towners & locals alike dive into the a la carte dinners & Prix Fixe Brunches while watching the show. In the summer, the outdoor cafe is an airy spot for micro-brewed beers, raw bar selections & a wide range of fresh seafood & grilled steaks. In the winter, tables around the stone fireplace warm crowds.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Garage Restaurant and Cafe reviews from OpenTable diners
57 reviews since May 2, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
great for brunch (23)great for outdoor dining (16)special occasion (15)neighborhood gem (15)late-night find (11)romantic (11)good for groups (9)vibrant bar scene (8)great for lunch (8)hot spot (7)fit for foodies (7)kid-friendly (4)notable wine list (3)scenic view (2)Show More
- Couldn't wait to leaveOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/24/2014We went to The Garage specifically for the Jazz Brunch. The Jazz was good, the Brunch was not. The quality of the food was like a bad diner. Service wasn't bad, it was just minimal, like a bad diner. The atmosphere wasn't pleasant, as in 'come in, enjoy your meal, enjoy the music' - it felt more like an assembly line. I wouldn't go back and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.
- good for groupMagdaDined on 8/24/2014There was 5 of us for the Jazz brunch. The trio was very good, the service ecellent, and the food was very good. The waitress was very accomadating and cheerful. The music was in the backround and we did not have any trouble talking most of the time (except during a drum solo)Special Features:
- Not as good as I recall...OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/23/2014I almost always go to the garage for dinner when I am in New York. I ordered the steak frites with a side of steamed broccoli. The steak and fries were fine but the broccoli could have been hotter. We sat outside and the passers by on the street did not hesitate to pan handle.Special Features:
- Food entertainment and service.GreetneatDined on 8/16/2014The evening was wonderful. The smooth jazz quartet was talented. Our server and busboy amazing and the papardelli and langastina Delish. My fiancé had mussells. We shared. It was a little expensive. We had a groupon which was accepted as though it were cash.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Jazz Brunch reviewAnnoyedDined on 8/16/2014The jazz band was excellent. THe food was fine. For a coffee refill, we were asked to pay an extra 5.00 for the unlimited beverage option. We were initially taken to the upper level, which had a view of the jazz band and the lower level, however it was so dark, we thought they had a problem with the electricity. We were told that the lower level was unavailable, it was for customers who made reservations (most tables were empty, and it was already 12:45pm). I told him I had made reservations through Open Table, he made a face, huffed, and took us to the lower level where there was more light. Still dark. When the bill came, the lights immediately dimmed. I had to take out the flashlight on my phone. I will not return for brunch.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/14/2014Poor rude service and bland food.. Disappointed Jazz was decent though
- Almost GoodAllthatJazzDined on 8/12/2014The Garage has a good room for listening to the jazz that plays there every night. While it has no cover, the entertainment cost is built into the food and drink bill. Not a bad deal overall, but expect to pay above average prices for mediocre food. While the menu has some great offerings, the plates come out with that catering hall, mass produced look and feel. The servers were terrific and the music first rate. Note that we were a party of six, and a gratuity was added to our bill.
- The Garage is a gemWriterMarkDined on 8/3/2014The Garage in Greenwich Village is one of New York's most precious gems. The food is always excellent. Staff are friendly and efficient. The atmosphere is the best. The musicians who perform here are the cream of the crop. I visit New York City regularly and have tried hundreds of restaurants. The Garage is my favorite. Unlike many of the city's jazz clubs, you get your own table; you aren't crammed into small spaces with several people you don't know sharing your table. Spacious, lots of arm room, great food, the best music in town. Who could ask for anything better? I like to try new places, but Garage is a setting that I try to visit every time I'm in New York, whether I'm there with my 16-year-old daughter or adult friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Jazz BrunchFancyNancyDined on 8/3/2014We very much enjoyed the Jazz Brunch with the Ben Healy trio. Thanks for accommodating our grandson. The food was delicious and we loved the music. The stuffed French Toast was especially good.Special Features:
- lovely placeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/28/2014Amazing service, food and jazz music. The place is worth every penny. A must visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- awfulMARTYVIPDined on 7/20/2014we went for Sunday brunch. It was a great disappointment and not worth the trip from uptown. In addition to a long wait, my French toast was burned and very skimpy - I got only 3 small half slices on a plate and that's it. My husband ordered eggs benedict. The eggs were over cooked and instead of home fries - which is a staple - it came with very dry mashed potatoes.
- Don't get too excited, but it's okOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/20/2014The food is much less than memorable, sorry to say. I had the tuna burger, it was not great. A friend had the eggs benedict and I've never seen such a dry looking plate of benedicts before. Went for bottomless mimosas/bloody mary's which were decent, definitely on the weaker side which I'd prefer less stiff drinks than more weak ones. We picked the place because it had live music, which I enjoyed, though it was incredibly loud, making it hard to have conversation.Special Features:
- Great jazz brunchAAdamsDined on 7/19/2014Went to Garage for my birthday brunch. It had great jazz music playing and we were seated promptly. It was a bit dark however, and while the food was good it wasn't amazing. Drinks were average -- hopefully bigger for the AYCD brunch special. Overall, though, the atmosphere made up for the average food -- I would definitely come back at night for a few drinks and some music.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Usually betterArego143Dined on 7/18/2014Kind of disappointed on our last visit. Brother ordered. Steak medium rare came to the table well done, ordered 2 Merlots and 1 white wine waiter brought us 3 merlot. Lack of attention that is usually ther was missingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Jazz + Great FoodNYC4HDLDined on 6/28/2014I was a bit early for our reservation, the table was ready, and I was seated promptly. The band was playing, and I enjoyed a couple glasses of wine while I waited for the rest of the party. We took our time deciding, and and the wait staff did not rush us. Great recommendations from our waitress, and the food was excellent! All-in-all, it was a great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not up to ParParrotheadDined on 6/15/2014I have eaten at The Garage a few times before. On Father's Day the restaurant was nearly empty at dinner time. The food was not very good . When we had a problem with dessert the waitress was condescending and told us the kitchen was giving her a hard time. The menu never mentioned berries being on the dessert and I am allergic It was the first time ever that a waitress tried to convince me to eat it anyway because the strawberries were only on the top and the rest was raspberries We hade a large bill to pay and if the 18% was already included in the bill she wouldn't have gotten it. Not going back there again. One to be disappointed in the food, the service and the music (singer especially) Only 3 tables had people dining at them.
- First brunchDLopezDined on 6/8/2014The food was very good. The waitress messed up on our order & rarely ever checked on our table so we often had empty glasses & empty plates. Id probably only do take out from here since the food was great but the service was not very goodSpecial Features:
- strawberryVIPDined on 5/31/2014We went to see Champian Fulton but the food and drink were both very good, just very pricey.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable brunchLoveTheJazzDined on 5/25/2014Went here for brunch with my girlfriend. I thoroughly enjoyed the live music and the Farmer's Omelet was delicious. The French toast was sub par though and was lukewarm when we got it. The waiter was somewhat condescending throughout the meal and did not appreciate taking the French Toast back to be heated up. May have just been on off day though.Special Features:
- Live Jazz and foodDiningNYC2013Dined on 5/10/2014This is a good restaurant with live Jazz. Service is also good. Food was good. My only criticisms might be that the decor as well as cocktails need updating. Also, dinner is pricey.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MagicalsaidyesDined on 5/6/2014Great food and Aeesome Live Band!!! The best enviroment dor Romance. Great evening I picked the right restaurant to ask my girlfriend to marry me. She said Yes!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go for music, not foodBirthdayDinnerMehDined on 5/3/2014Our food was ok at best. The music was great. Avoid the langoustines special - it was sub-par. The Steak Salad was good.Special Features:
- Brunch dateRob123LDined on 5/3/2014We had a great time, the food and service was excellent and so was the music, we will be going back in the futureSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 989 reviews are from the Garage Restaurant and Cafe reviews archive.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/28/2014The food came so late. we waited more than one hour.. other than that ot was good...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great brunchCathyDined on 4/27/2014The food was good and the music was great. Terrific Bloody Mary's.Special Features:
- Awful ServicemmfoodVIPDined on 4/26/2014We were sitting for almost 20 minutes before anyone even came by to see if we wanted something to drink, and when the waiter came back with our drinks, only 2 of the 4 people at my table had beverages. It took another 10 minutes to flag down the waiter and when I asked for the other two drinks to be brought to the table, he snottily asked what they were again (water, mind you). My mom giggled a little bit and the waiter actually turned to her and yelled in her face, "do you think that's funny? why are you laughing?" After rudely speaking to my mom, he returned awhile later with only one glass of water. While we were sitting there, the table next to us walked out after waiting over 1 hour for their food, which was mediocre at best.
- DisappointingUKdiner1Dined on 4/20/2014I ate at Garage last year and had a lovely evening. This year the music was too loud - so loud we couldn't have a conversation. The service was poor - sloppy. Not enough staff and long wait for everything. The food arrived on cold plates. The starter plates were left on the table when main course arrived so I had to gather all the plates to make space. Expensive and not good. Disappointing - last year it had been really good.
- alot of attitudeOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/20/2014Small portions, indifferent service and rude hostess. Will not return
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/19/2014the place is very turistic, music closer to piano bar than jazz clubSpecial Features:
- Live jazz spotQueenofSnowDined on 4/18/2014You won't regret going here if you're looking for live jazz gigs in a good atmosphere but just don't expect too much from the food. You pay more for the music than what the food is worth.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Well spent time - a couple of hoursnordicbearDined on 4/18/2014Really good food and nice live jazz performance. Not a jazz-fanatic but could enjoy a couple of hours. Returned here with a group for a bottle of champagne after wedding dinner. Recommended.Special Features:
- Disappointed guest....MotherDined on 4/7/2014I don't understand why, after making a reservation on the 2nd, we would be seated upstairs? I was VERY disappointed as we couldn't see the band! The reason I came, was to see the band! I didn't eat as I was so angry, that it spoiled my entire night out! I guess it didn't help that my son was the band leader!
- Jazz BrunchLondonerDined on 4/6/2014We have been visiting Garage every year for 17 years! The last 2 years were very disappointing with unacceptable noise levels causing us to eat in silence. The time limit for 'unlimited cocktails', was rigorously stated by our waiter & reinforced with the 2 diners next to us to the minute! He was slow which aggravated the situation. We decided to give them one last chance. However, this year, everything returned to normal. The Jazz and food were great; just the right volume, allowing one to converse without shouting. Service was excellent. Garage is a converted garage with fenders, chrome exhausts etc. on the walls. This décor really works and the ambiance is excellent Faith has been restored & we will return next year!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingsunsinDined on 4/5/2014The most striking thing about our visit to Garage restaurant was how stingy the attitude was. There was an extra charge for just about anything we asked for, including a refill of coffee. We also had to send back our severely overcooked eggs after specifically ordering them with the yolks runny. One would think that after having to remake the egg dishes they might have offered something to make up for their poor service, but instead they said we would be charged for a second cup of coffee when we requested a refill. We won't return.
- For touristsmatteotiDined on 4/1/2014Average food but extremely pricey. Good bands play live but definitely not the good vibes in this place.
- Good food, drinks and JazzSasiCPADined on 3/28/2014Booked a reservation for 6 at 7:30 on a Friday night to kick off the beginning of our girls trip to NY. Turned out to be a great choice. I'd read about this restaurant on Pinterest. We had to wait on all of our group to arrive to be seated so we sat at the bar first. Our bartender was friendly and fun and made a great dirty martini. Music was fun and exactly what we were wanted in a restaurant. Even though some of our group was late for our reservation, they still seated us as soon as the last one arrived. Service was attentive and my steak was tender and flavorful. Just what I needed after my two Martinis from the bar while I waited on 3 of the girls. I will put this restaurant on my go to list while visiting NYC.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner w/ live musicOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/23/2014Very nice dinner with live jazz music. We didn't know there is music every night. Service: we got bread and butter just to the main course, even we all had appetizers.Special Features:
- NO Garage! Cold Food! Bad Service!JamesElmVIPDined on 3/16/2014From the moment we were ignored by the Hostess for our on time arrival of our reservation, along with two other couples, I should have known this was not going to be a good experience and it was not a good one! Unfortunately as I had been and completely enjoyed the Garage near the High Line. My date was quite gracious as we waited to be acknowledged by the Hostess that didn't smile and spent her time with her face in the computer seemingly working on other reservations for later times?!?!? When she finally acknowledged us and I gave our name she informed us it would be just a few minutes for the table. Twenty minutes later, I asked for an update and she said it would only be another few minutes, which was 20! We went on Sunday March 16.
- DisappointedKarenDined on 3/16/2014There are pro's and con's to having Sunday Brunch at the Garage. The pro's are: great jazz, a lively place for a group and excellent service by our waiter. Also, the prix fixe lunch was a good value--and the drinks were great. The con's are: Our 1pm reservation was not honored. We were seated at 1:30---having been aggravated by rushing to get there on time and seeing other groups be seated before us. The food was OK---I paid extra for lox on my plate--and you had to look closely for the salmon slivers. Everyone else in our group enjoyed their food. All in all--- just go for the NYC Sunday brunch experience--it's a good one.Special Features:
- Fun!MissKitty731Dined on 3/8/2014Garage Restaurant is an unusual venue, having both live jazz AND good food! Service was pleasant and professional. We both enjoyed our appetizers and entrees. There was a nice, varied menu, a decent wine list. The best part of this place, however is the music. It's great that live jazz is offered early in the evening...as well as a later set. Seating is mostly good...view of musicians, close enough, yet all are able to converse (without being rude to the musicians). There are a few tables that are smack up against others, but for most of our early dinner, the table next to us was empty. This was overall an enjoyable experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.