345 6th Ave.
San Diego, CA 92101Neighborhood:
Downtown / Gaslamp
AsianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.gangkitchen.com/
- Phone: 6195501600
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday: 3pm - 12:00am; Saturday & Sunday: 3pm - 1:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Pan-Asian, Asian, Chinese
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Contact: Faith Kauwe 8589996788
A word from Gang Kitchen
Effortlessly evolving from happy hour to dinner and drinks—into a cool and casual nightlife scene with late night dining options, Gang Kitchen’s innovative multi-Asian culinary program lies in the hands of Executive Chef Craig Jimenez.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerLate Night Find
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
Gang Kitchen - Best Restaurants in Downtown / Gaslamp ›
Gang Kitchen reviews from OpenTable diners
19 reviews since May 19, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelEnergetic
good for groups (11)fit for foodies (8)vibrant bar scene (7)neighborhood gem (7)hot spot (6)late-night find (5)great for lunch (2)special occasion (1)kid-friendly (1)great for outdoor dining (1)romantic (1)Show More
- do not recommendKSeto26Dined on 8/30/2014First off, the menu is about half the size of what's shown online. Second, the server, although nice, looked like she just came from a Labor Day pool party. Third, there was nothing I'd order again eith the exception of the flourless chocolate cake. The mussels (we ordered both options) were fine but they didn't have any horseradish for them. The miso salmon was completely flavorless. The macaroni and cheese was ALL cheese. Stick to the bar scene. Food was definitely not your strong point. Cool decor though.
- DecentstevenbDined on 8/9/2014Really enjoyed the fried rice, my wife had the yellowtail. We had a quick dinner here early before going somewhere else, so did not see the restaurant in full, prime time action. Service was very good and so was food. Interesting appetizer menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Asian FusionBigSurFriendVIPDined on 7/11/2014Everything was delicious - especially the green curry clams and tuna tartare. Great music mix and good service. Only complaint is: we were limited to making a reservation early (it said not available between 7:00 an 8:30) and the place was mostly empty for the two hours we were there, until 9:00.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cool placeHappyguyVIPDined on 7/2/2014This place has a great atmosphere, great service and very good food. A great spot for after work and groups. Fun small plates to share!Special Features:
- Go now before the word is outSDgal23VIPDined on 6/27/2014Food was great - well seasoned, bold flavors, good selection. Can't for the life of me figure out while it's not packed, especially since San Diego lacks a lot of good Asian dining options (good ones, at least). Will definitely be back again and again! Ribs were tasty and tender, bacon fried rice - you did hear me say bacon, right? Spicy tuna and pork belly egg rolls also solid. Can't wait to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- vshumsDined on 6/23/2014Great spot for fun with friends and good food. Loved the decor and the food was fabulous. Good vegetarian options too. The flourless cake was to die for.Special Features:
- Fresh look and appeal !!JoanVIPDined on 6/2/2014We live next to the Gaslamp and are always interested in finding resturants in the area we like. Out first time at Gang Kichen was a real pleasure. The food was nicely prepared and presented. For two people sharing we had four wonderful dishes and that was about right. The bacon fried rice was very good and the ribs terrific. We had shrimp dumplings and an excellent vegetable mix. I like the huge space and atmosphere and good music in the background. We were there early so the bar was hopping because of their great happy hour. Our wait person, Lia, was totally professional and she was also delightfully pleasant. This is not a traditional Chinese resturant - it is upbeat and modern in every way. We will be back. Joan and PeterSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gang Kitchen - A San Diego GemMattDined on 5/30/2014Great Asian food served tapas style. Cocktail menu is extensive but beware of Happy Hour hours that are posted on their website. Web states HH goes until 8:00 pm as opposed to 7:00. Waiter did honor what was posted for first drink. Highly recommend their edamame and drunken noodles.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 40 reviews are from the Gang Kitchen reviews archive.
- Food: So So...Staff: Best in SDFattysDelightDined on 4/25/2014Restaurants pop up and disappear with great frequency throughout Gaslamp and East Village. They are usually marred by high prices in the face of mediocre food and poor service. Gang Kitchen gets those things right with reasonable prices for good food and the best service I've experienced in a Downtown restaurant. My primary beef with the food was driven more by my personal issues than the quality of the cuisine. I am not a big fan of sharing, but the plate sizes at Gang kitchen are somewhere between tapas and short plate...meaning that everyone in your party shares dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Absolute best in San DiegoJamieVIPDined on 4/13/2014Ask for Emily: great waitress with wonderful suggestions!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Can't wait to return!GeoffVIPDined on 3/30/2014Great food, outstanding service, great value! Have already recommended it to friends and will go back the next time I am in townSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious and eclectic flavorsKathDined on 3/12/2014Interesting blends of flavors made almost every dish delicious. Farmer's fried rice, wok vegetables, wasabi guacamole, all delicious. Pad thai did not taste like typical pad thai, so that was the only dish that was not loved by all. They also modified dishes for the vegan at the table. Highly recommend for healthy and tasty food!Special Features:
- Will returnErnieDined on 2/22/2014Order eh bacon fried rice and you won't be disappointed. Food was great but portions weren't very big. Order more than you think you will need and you'll be happy. Service was great. And the drink list was promising.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Strike onechrisVIPDined on 2/21/2014We love Gang but this last visit was sub par to say the least.Special Features:
- less saltGeoLinVIPDined on 1/5/2014we are so happy to see a new menu without the soy sauce express. our understanding that there is a new chef and has made a very creative and delicious menu. we live a few blocks away and frequent local restaurants quite often and welcome Gang as part one of our go to place when we have out of town visitors!Special Features:
- Allergen-friendly Asian fusionOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 12/28/2013Our server was knowledgeable in the ingredients and allergy information. She made sure I could safely eat and drink and there were many options (or easy subs) so I could have most of the dishes our party of 6 ordered to share. The food and drinks were delicious. We didn't have anything we didn't love. Even the picky teenager and timid preschooler happily ate awaySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Asian FusionFgoldieDined on 12/13/2013I'm not a big fan of Asian fusion cuisine in general, but Gang Kitchen changed my mind. The barbecue short ribs were outstanding as was the bacon fried rice. The other dishes we sampled were great as well. Our waitress was ok, a bit slow, but the bussers were quick and efficient. Makes a huge difference at small tables.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, but too much saltStockjockDined on 11/23/2013I enjoyed my visit to Gang Kitchen. Good food, good location, excellent service and a hip vibe. I also liked the fact that it's not too brightly lit. On the topic of food, it was very good but not excellent. Everything tasted way too salty to me. I asked them to reduce the salt in my Chicken Firecracker Rolls, and they couldn't because "they're pre-made". Also, it's somewhat pricey for their small plates. I had one mixed drink (forget the name) and it seemed to be trying too hard. Lots of diverse ingredients, but they didn't fit together in a harmonious way. I do recommend Gang Kitchen. I spent $85 on dinner for 2 with drinks and I didn't feel like I got a lot of bang for my buck. But the food was good overall.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good ChoiceMitchGDined on 11/18/2013This restaurant was featured in the in room hotel guide for San Diego. I tried the suggested dish, Baby Kale salad on quinoa and the Sweet Potato and Avocado spring rolls. with habanero/tomatillo sauce. Both were superb! I also saw several other items that I would like to try as we'll, on another trip to San Diego.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- delicious asian fusionOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 11/15/2013Great food but noisy. The only reason I'm deducting a star is because the music started bumping at 8 and made it difficult to hear...not super romantic...and made me think I needed to bust out some glo sticks and start dancing. BUT the food was great. Loved everything we tried...and you can just order a bunch of the apps to kind of make it tapas style. My favorites were the papaya salad and pork belly tacos. The service was great and I liked the decor...the music was just too much for me...but probably wouldn't stop me from returning.Special Features:
- Very, very nice restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 11/11/2013This is a very, very nice restaurant, it is often quite busy and energetic. The dishes are great, kind of "pan Asian fusion", extremely well done (prepared), and the sauces excellently compliment the cooking. It has lots of smaller dishes that are good for sharing so you can easily get a taste of "everything".The service is great even when they are busy. The collection of sake is very good. Alltogether highly recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect for a last minute group!NicoleDined on 11/11/2013I needed to find a restaurant for a group of 6 at the last minute one evening, and went on to Open Table to see what I could find. Gang Kitchen was absolutely perfect! We had a U-shaped table so we could all talk, and although there was a lot going on in the restaurant, we could all hear perfectly. Our server was lovely and patient with us when we had no idea what we wanted after quite a while, and the food was delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hip, Urban Asian FusionGio14Dined on 10/19/2013Enjoyed this place very much, was recommended by a friend. Ambiance is very hip and contemporary, food was just as good, highly recommended, you won't be disappointed. Guys fyi this is a girls night out hot spot, the ratio must have been 80-20. Centrally located, great spot to grab a bite and some drinks then get your night started. Service was accommodating and friendly.Special Features:
- Niceplace, interesting menu.DateNightDined on 10/18/2013Took a group of 8 to Gang Kitchen to celebrate my wife's birthday. We got there a few minutes early and had a couple of drinks at the bar. The servers were a bit inattentive and it too a long to get drinks compared to the modest crowd. Decor was the definition of Asian fusion, the panda/pop-culture murals were a noted hit in the modern industrial with Asian flair design. Appetizers were great, the edemame and firecracker rolls we the star. Our entrees arrived quite a bit staggered, but since the portions were intended to be shared family style it wasn't a big deal. Pad Thai and Drunken noodles did not fail to satisfy while our server was attentive to our drinks. We enjoyed Gang Kitchen and will be back! Dessert too next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- went with friendsGeorgiBGDined on 10/4/2013We've been to Gang Kitchen twice. Once as a couple and once with our firends. Both times it was super. Our waitress coincidentally was the same each time and actuially remembered us. Made super recommendations ... Unusual food as it is an Asian-fusian sort of menu. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- The word "inventive" may beMattScottDined on 9/26/2013The word "inventive" may be grossly overused in description of restaurants; however, it is appropriate for Gang Kitchen. As with CraigJimenez's previous endeavors, the ability to twist menu staples into a refreshing discovery (how do you make edamame unique and delicious!?) is the mark of a special gift.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We had great food & greatCmarDined on 9/20/2013We had great food & great service with Farrah. The crispy rice appetizer is a must. The food overall was good- light & not so greasy. Hope this place stays around.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for meet upswaitressfriendDined on 9/14/2013Gang Kitchen would be the perfect restaurant...except for the food. The waitstaff and hostess were lovely and so helpful. They alone make this place worth the visit. But the food was...meh. Not really that good. I think they should revamp the menu because I think they were trying to be creative but it just didn't quite work. But overall, great service. Can't emphasize that enough.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another great addiitonOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/14/2013The owners of Basic and URBN have added another new kid to the team! Gang Kitchen has a super friendly staff and the food was great. Excellent wine selection (thanks for having Rose on your list) and quality specialty cocktails.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sub Par Food and ServicesenaylorDined on 9/13/2013Chain food quality and the service was very poor. Nice ambience but they have a lot of work to do on the quality of the food and the service. This was the first time that I ever tipped less than 15%.
- Went for the Pork Bell Pad Thai....OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/12/2013and made it in time for Happy Hour. Really good apps and drinks. Ordered the kale salad. One of the best kale salads I have ever had. However, we came for the pad thai. It was mediocre. Very mushy. The pork belly was really good, just not the noodles.
- Not impressedLuvFoodLuvWineVIPDined on 9/7/2013The reviews for Gang Kitchen on Open Table is what convinced me to try this restaurant. I was under whelmed by the whole experience. This place is pretty cool on the inside. However, it was very loud, so don't plan anything romantic here. The salad I had with the baby kale, cashews and quinoa was unique. We had the Pork Belly pad thai and the Drunken Noodles as our entrees. Both were just ok. The spice level on the Drunken Noodles was higher than I expected. The steak in the drunken noodles was horrible. It was tough, so I found myself picking around it.Special Features:
- Great fusion asianstatuskDined on 9/5/2013Had a great meal with the family including kids 10-13. It was a little early so we were the only ones in the dining room. The bar like it had a good happy hour scene going. The food was excellent and the server was great about answering question about heat levels for food for the kids.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food, Great Servicesurfbrd67VIPDined on 9/2/2013Took 9 Japanese coworker's for dinner. Slow night (Labor Day) so didn't experience the bar scene but good casual Asian-Fusion place and the service was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Asian Fusion Food & Fun EnvironmentNightOutDined on 8/23/2013I dined here with a party of 9 and the service was great! They even offered to split the checks for us at the end of dinner. The dishes are meant to be shared as a table or in smaller groups. Everything we tried was delicious and there were quite a few vegetarian and fish options. The environment was modern and somewhat industrial, very large open space and high windows. Overall our party was pleased. :)Special Features:
- Great FoodReb1VIPDined on 7/14/2013This is some of the best Asian food I've had! I went with a group and everyone felt the same. The menu is very innovative and there are many great flavors brought together. There is a unique style to this food and it is excellent. The service was also excellent! I will definitely eat here again each time I visit!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and good serviceelturistaDined on 7/6/2013Our dinner experience was very good, our attendant was kind to offer us a menu walkthrough to make us more comfortable when she took our order. The ambient was too dark but it did not matter. Definitely We will come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- San Diego needed thisOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 7/5/2013The appetizers alone are memorable. Creative ways of making potstickers, spring rolls, won tons. The entrees are also good -- I had the pork belly pad thai and tasted the shanghai beef. Both delicious. Good service, friendly servers. The music was of unknown genre but the volume made up for it.Special Features:
- New York meets San DiegoOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 6/29/2013I'm a San Diego native currently living in Orange County so when I had to attend a conference downtown I was looking forward to spending some quality time exploring my favorite city for the weekend. There are so many places to consider dining and when I came across this place, I knew I had to give it a try. I had some friends come down from RSF and San Clemente to meet me for dinner and we had the best experience at this place! Everything we ordered was flavorful and delicious! The restaurant space reminds me of a warehouse restaurant you'd see in the meat packing district in NYC. I highly recommend and look forward to my next visit!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine ambience,service; bad foodOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 6/11/2013Summer and spring rolls, potstickers and dumplings were all dough-y; the oysters were fishy. The only saving grace was the wok-fired whole fish and the sake.