401 Depot Street
Ann Arbor, MI 48104Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.muer.com/
- Phone: (734) 769-0592
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 3:30pm
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 3:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday: 3:30pm - 11:00pm, Saturday: 4:30pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 3:30pm - 9:00pm
Sunday Brunch: 10:00am - 2:00pm
Early Bird: Monday - Friday: 3:30pm - 5:30pm, Sunday: 3:30pm - 4:30pm
Light Fare: Sunday: 2:00pm - 3:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Mark Sanchez
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (bar only), Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: The Gandy Dancer also offers off site catering for corporate receptions, product launches & business lunches.
- Entertainment: Live Jazz Band on Sunday's from 10:00am until 2:00pm. Live Band on Wednesday's from 6:00pm until 10:0pn through end of August.
A word from Gandy Dancer
Known in railroading days as "the finest station between Buffalo and Chicago", the majestic Michigan Central Railroad Depot deserves that commendation more than ever as the Gandy Dancer now.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
Gandy Dancer - Best Restaurants in Ann Arbor ›
Gandy Dancer reviews from OpenTable diners
303 reviews since July 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (226)romantic (153)good for groups (110)fit for foodies (106)scenic view (96)neighborhood gem (91)great for brunch (81)notable wine list (53)great for lunch (39)kid-friendly (18)late-night find (14)great for outdoor dining (13)hot spot (12)vibrant bar scene (9)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/18/2014I had not been at the Gandy Dancer for about 30 years and, frankly, the place did not look like it had changed during those years -- it appeared dated. The daily specials included a salad and butternut squash soup and it was my intent to order both for lunch. Unfortunately, I was told there wasn't any soup left at 12:30 p.m. My alternative selection was a cobb salad that simply didn't impress. The one highlight of the dining experience was the waitress. She was pleasant and polite. I give her high marks.
- Ann Arbor's BestOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/17/2014When in Ann Arbor and you have an important dinner to arrange or a special occasion to celebrate, call the Gandy Dancer. The classic stone railroad station building always impresses. The interior, service and food lives up to the standard set by the classic building. Rarely will a meal at the Gandy Dancer not include a drive by Amtrak, reminding the diners of the location's heritage. While the main thrust of the menu is seafood, there are plenty of alternatives if someone prefers meat or pasta.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful experience!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/16/2014We have dined at the Gandy Dancer several times, and it continues to maintain its high quality dining experience. We especially like the early dining "Sunset Dining" menu, which offers many of our favorite entrees, with a starter and a dessert for a special price. It is our favorite place for special dinners.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great brunch, awful service.OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/16/2014I've been to the Gandy Dancer for brunch many times for brunch and the food and service have always been wonderful. Unfortunately I can't say that for my most recent visit. The food and atmosphere were excellent but our waitress, Alex, was terrible. I had to ask her twice for cream for my coffee, she barely checked on us throughout our meal and took forever to clear our plates from our table. Then, she dropped off our check and just disappeared. The manager came by about 15 minutes later to process the payment of our check. I will go back for brunch but I will make sure I'm not seated in Alex's section again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I Love Sunday BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/16/2014Service was outstanding. Our server Sabina was attentive, engaging, gracious. The entire staff put the customer first. Hostess was friendly and greeted me right away. Told me I was the first of my party to arrive, did I want to be seated or wait for the rest of my party in the lobby. I chose to be seated and was immediately greeted by our server Sabrina. This was my first dining experience at the Gandy Dancer. I love Sunday Brunch, a good Bloody Mary. They offer signature Bloody Mary's or build your own with suggestions for different items to add. I chose the build your own option with the addition of sriracha sauce. Took a spicy Bloody Mary to a new level, delicious. I'm also a huge fan of salmon, they have entire table of salmon prepared different ways: lox, poached with different seasonings (Cajun and the more traditional tarragon). All were delicious. Traditional breakfast items on the buffet table along with some hot lunch items. Only tried the eggs benedict (cold), hash browns (good) and link sausage (very good). I also tried the roast beef carving station, very good with a great horseradish cream sauce. Not as much variety of items as some brunch buffets, but all quality items and great service. Plus live music, it doesn't get much better than this. I will definitely go back after the holidays.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday celebrationMagsDined on 11/15/2014We love the atmosphere which is why we chose it and wanted a great meal. This was a special birthday celebration. Some of the food and the service level were disappointing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bland food, decent serviceKmf9q7Dined on 11/15/2014The food was really bland and disappointing. The restaurant itself was very nice though and they accommodated my friend who is in a wheelchair pretty well, which I really appreciate. Parking was great as well. I just wished the food matched the level of service we received.
- Great food, but poor serviceLoveseafoodDined on 11/11/2014My fiancé and I chose the Gandy Dancer for his birthday because of multiple positive experiences in the past. This time was different because of our server. We asked for a recommendation for a bottle of wine under $40 and he recommended a $50 bottle; this I can look past. The worst part is that he would not allow me to pay with my credit card because our Landrys Select Card is in my fiancé's name. In the past my parents have used this particular Landrys card and I have used it without my fiances presence. The server was "kind" enough to recommend that we not use our Landrys card (hence not use our $50 in rewards) and then we would be able to use my credit card. Luckily the food was wonderful, but I will think twice about returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- molten chocolate cakelw8526Dined on 11/10/2014The food and service at the gandy dancer is always good but we had a chocolate cake with a molten center and heath crumb topping that was to die for on our last visit On the more expensive side for dinner but always worth itSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasant dinnerPiscesDined on 11/9/2014The food was delicious, the service was great. We sat at the window and enjoyed seeing a train pass by as we ate dinner. We ordered sea bass, crab cakes, scallops and enjoyed them all.Special Features:
- JohnSDined on 11/9/2014Your brunch is the best. The food and the staff exceeded expectations.Special Features:
- Great menu and atmosphereRolandXDined on 11/8/2014The menu was impressive although I would have hoped for more seasonal options. My meal was cooked properly and balanced quite well, all though I would have liked more of the mahi mahi to come out more but that's more a limitation if the fish. I had the only malbec that they had on the wine list and would not recommend it, there is much better option in the wine list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellant!Shamrockgirl317Dined on 11/8/2014I surprised my husband for his birthday and we both absolutely loved it. We are already making plans to return. Great service, food, and hospitality!!Special Features:
- ChronicovertipperDined on 11/8/2014My wife and I were married at The Gandy Dancer 11 years ago and we love coming back for our anniversary. The food is always fantastic. The service was great. We had a wonderful time enjoying our anniversary there as we always have. It's always nice to walk through the restaurant and remember taking our wedding pictures and all the special memories we made there. We can't wait until our children are old enough to appreciate the menu so we can bring them with to see where their parents were married.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- reliable but very expensiveWolverineParentsVIPDined on 11/6/2014Looks as if the restaurant was the go to place. Food is excellent however the prices are way too high given thr location. Service was okay rushed and disinterested. Place is enormous.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Second time around was goodHoneydewDined on 11/4/2014Ordered the special: Apple sea bass with wild rice risotto. Sent it back because I could not eat it. Hated the risotto which is one my favorite dishes. Ordered stuffed salmon which was great. Chocolate dessert was ok but not worth the calories. Service was very good and many people made sure the second dish was good. Would order it again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeechDined on 11/2/2014The food should be far better for the price you pay.Special Features:
- Special OccasionCindyDined on 11/2/2014This is a great place to celebrate a special occasion or just a leisurely Sunday brunch scene. A vast assortment of food entices a wide variety of palates.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of our favoritesOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/1/2014We always get great service and food. This time we were with a larger group and had to sit upstairs which we did not like. It was too loud and the ambiance isn't as nice.Special Features:
- Good but short of greatanonDined on 11/1/2014This remains one of our favorite restaurants. However, the wonderful au grattan potatoes they used to have are gone. Instead, insipid yukon gold mashed potatoes. The wine-by-the-glass list lacks a good zinfandel.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- After 20 years...LandDined on 11/1/2014Where to begin? I am saddened to write such a review. My husband and I used to take the train from Dearborn to Ann Arbor to celebrate our anniversary each year. After 20 years of not coming because of a raw lobster tail, we decided to return this past Saturday. We were rushed by a waitress that wanted to immediately take our order, whisk our plates away (with food remaining on them), and food brought before we were done with the previous course. We paid hard earned money to dine (celebrated our 36th) on Saturday we could have relaxed more at McDonald's. Won't be back. :-(
- More2DoDined on 10/31/2014Love this restaurant. Brings back many fond memories.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Personalized ServiceArborGourmetDined on 10/30/2014I added a note to the Open Table reservation that it was our 10th anniversary. Every staff member congratulated us on the occasion and the menus even contained a personalized note. Very good!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not what I expected, but okayOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/28/2014Greeting was great, Table was nice overlooking the tracks. First server complained that she would get a bus boy to get our water since she was double sat (not my fault). Never gave us her name and never came back. Randomly we had a new server after several minutes of waiting. Still no name but was nice, but a little too fake, everything we asked about was "wonderful". The seafood dishes were very good, but the prime rib was very fatty, and no flavor except for the edges. Don't know that I need to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A favorite place on many counts!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/28/2014A long-time favorite in Ann Arbor. Excellent food, delightful surroundings and never a feeling of being rushed.Special Features:
- Gandy Dancerrvadded111513Dined on 10/28/2014A little pricy for lunch meeting but good for special occasions. Waitress was exceptional. Salmon was overcooked but waitress arranged a replacement in short order.Special Features:
- Anniversary DinnerGolfer56Dined on 10/22/2014We went to the Gandy Dancer to celebrate our anniversary. This restaurant had been recommended by a friend and the hotel we stayed at. We were very happy with everything. Both of our meals were excellent and the dessert was outstanding (white chocolate cheesecake). Our service (Vanessa) was great and made sure we had a good time and that everything was to our liking. We would definitely return and recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ClassicOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/20/2014Classic, wonderful old train station. Very nice decor, great ambience, people, and food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/19/2014For the price you paid for brunch the quality of food was poor being a Muer restaurant. Very disappointing!Special Features:
- will be backpzgirlDined on 10/19/2014what a nice way to spend a Sunday! The food and music were perfect. We had a great server. He took care of table maintenance, an art form that has gone by the wayside. It was a special treat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place and a change of paceDubbDined on 10/18/2014This is a really great restaurant. Food was excellent and service was top notch! I really enjoyed coming here. I would recommend this restaurant to anyone that wants an adult dinner whether it be romantic, family, friends, or business. Atmosphere and decore was truly a delight.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great timeStealthDined on 10/18/2014Great food and great ambiance for special occasions. Special menu printed for our special occasion. Waiter was friendly and attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a destination restaurantfortheexperienceDined on 10/17/2014Valet parking made for an easy entry. We had a short time to dine before a concert but our server was fantastic. Wine and beer list was nicely varied. Warm bread with salmon pate was a tasty was to being the meal-also recommend the butternut bisque. My companion had the duck which he raved about for days. My pecan crusted mahi mahi was a bit bland after the plethora of explosive flavors to that point of the meal, but it was acceptable. Would definitely return when in town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Returned againOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/17/2014Each time that we have dined here, it has special memories, thanks. Everything about the food, service, etc. remains great. Our server did a very wonderful job, also.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- <3JGrantDined on 10/16/2014Out of all the places to go in AA...this is my fave.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ImpressiveWillBBackDined on 10/16/2014Thoroughly enjoyed the experience......first time attending, will certainly be back!Special Features:
- BrunchpetesDined on 10/12/2014The Eggs Benedict was tasty although they scrimped on the hollandaise sauce and it could have been a lot warmer. The made to order omelet was excellent. Everything else that I tried was excellent. The number of choices was amazing.Special Features:
- Fantastic!luv2eatDined on 10/11/2014The customer service here is amazing. I had mentioned that it was my husband's birthday when making the reservation and he was greeted with a "happy birthday" when we walked in. It made his day:). They also brought out a creme brule with a candle in it for his birthday treat. We will definitely be returning.Special Features:
- Excellent Food and ServicePippiDined on 10/11/2014We went before the U of M game. We had excellent food, great recommendations and great service.Special Features:
- Great spotLuv2dineDined on 10/11/2014This was a great find for our weekend in Ann Arbor. Food was amazing and the service was fantastic. Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.