401 Depot Street
Ann Arbor, MI 48104Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.muer.com/
- Phone: 7347690592
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 3:30pm
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 3:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday: 3:30pm - 11:00pm, Saturday: 4:30pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 3:30pm - 9:00pm
Sunday Brunch: 10:00am - 2:00pm
Early Bird: Monday - Friday: 3:30pm - 5:30pm, Sunday: 3:30pm - 4:30pm
Light Fare: Sunday: 2:00pm - 3:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Mark Sanchez
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (bar only), Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: The Gandy Dancer also offers off site catering for corporate receptions, product launches & business lunches.
- Entertainment: Live Jazz Band on Sunday's from 10:00am until 2:00pm. Live Band on Wednesday's from 6:00pm until 10:0pn through end of August.
A word from Gandy Dancer
Known in railroading days as "the finest station between Buffalo and Chicago", the majestic Michigan Central Railroad Depot deserves that commendation more than ever as the Gandy Dancer now.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
Gandy Dancer - Best Restaurants in Ann Arbor ›
Gandy Dancer reviews from OpenTable diners
306 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (233)romantic (157)fit for foodies (101)scenic view (98)neighborhood gem (95)great for brunch (94)good for groups (91)notable wine list (57)great for lunch (42)great for outdoor dining (26)kid-friendly (21)hot spot (11)late-night find (11)vibrant bar scene (7)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/15/2014We were at a long table, trying to share information, and the music really had a negative impact on our hearing each other. The waitresses were grand, however.Special Features:
- Ann Arbor ClassicOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/14/2014I enjoyed going to the Gandy Dancer as a UM student 35+ years ago (when my parents would come up and pay for dinner!), and it's still a great place to go. I love the train station ambience, and the food and service are top notch.Special Features:
- wonderful anniversary experiencemdiroyDined on 9/12/2014We celebrated our 32nd anniversary at the Gandy Dancer. The service was was excellent thanks to the incredible staff. The food was incredibly delicious. Need I say more?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A special placeLuLuDined on 9/12/2014The old depot made for a wonderful atmosphere! Our waiter, John, was most excellent! We enjoyed our evening, but I must say that I think the menu is overpriced.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- cookinbobDined on 9/12/2014My Wife's birthday dinner was surf and turf, The lobster was extremely salty and my wife like salted foods. My prime rib was very tough. Everyone else's dinner were great.Special Features:
- Annual treatyogaleighDined on 9/11/2014We visit my hometown, Flint, every year and Ann Arbor is always on the itinerary. That day always includes lunch at Gandy Dancer. We enjoy the trains, the pretty view, the great food, the lovely interior and the excellent wait staff. When I was a teen my parents sometimes met friends for New Year's Eve there and always loved it but for me it was just a name until these visits. Now it's high on the list of things I look forward to on this trip. If you get a chance (right season) to try the watermelon salad, have it! And save room for dessert! This year we happened to go on my mother's 89th birthday. They had a special menu for her that said happy birthday & a free dessert. Our waiter was especially personable and attentive.Special Features:
- First experiencenoviceDined on 9/9/2014Excellent food and service. Prime rib superb. Scallop and crab appetizer outstanding. Valet parkingSpecial Features:
- Gandy Dancer2fordinnerDined on 9/8/2014Quaint Ann Arbor location with old train station ambience and a great window view of parkland/nature. A raccoon, Canada geese, and one fast train went by outside. Seafood preparation and presentation were great, with many other good choices available for non-fish eaters and vegetarians. Desserts and specialty drinks were unique, while wine/liquor selections were many. Our server was also personable, knowledgeable, and attentive to all needs. Extra bonuses are the next-door working Amtrak and the walking proximity to Kerrytown and downtown Ann Arbor. For those with time available, it's a perfect ending for a relaxing train-trip visit to the city.Special Features:
- DisappointedBirthdaygirlDined on 9/7/2014I was very disappointed with my appetizer and entree. My crab CAKE was brought to me on a warm plate but, the food itself was cold. After sending it back it returned to me on a hot plate but once reaching the middle of the crab mixture it remained cold! Moving on to my entrée. The grilled salmon was very dry and over cooked!! I didn't send this back. I didn't want to make a seen at my own birthday dinner in front of my 11 guests. I usually dine at the chop house or real seafood for my birthday dinner/discount. I wish I would've this year!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ArchitecturePatrickDined on 9/5/2014Part of the lure for me is the architecture of the restaurant. The old trim and wood, open air of the high ceilings. I enjoy feeling like I am back in time to an era when things were built with strength and pride. It is a beautiful building and when you combine that with the food it is an experience second to none.Special Features:
- One of our favorites!NickDined on 9/5/2014One of our favorite restaurants for almost 45 years. We first began eating here in the early 1970s and have continued to eat here...especially for special occasions. The food and service is always excellent. The wine list is one of the area's best. We have eaten at many of the world's top restaurants both in the U.S. and in Europe. The Gandy is our "home" restaurant. It must be. Of all the restaurants we've eaten in, The Gandy is the one we've eaten in the most times.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceptional, As usualDickFDined on 9/5/2014Dinner with friends, superb dining, and the train was on time.Special Features:
- Great experiencecbs3153Dined on 9/3/2014Everything was wonderful. From appetizers, to salads, to entrees, to desserts every one of our party of seven was delighted with our experience. Our server was top notch, as well.Special Features:
- Gandy Dancer, Ann ArborjensDined on 8/31/2014Delicious food, attentive & courteous service, & interesting atmosphere brings us back to this very nice restaurant.Special Features:
- Nice AmbianceFashionista365Dined on 8/30/2014Great find - very sophisticated and charming setting. Extensive menu options to satisfy everyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best dinner ever!DineaholicDined on 8/30/2014I've eaten in some of the most luxurious restaurants in the country and I must say this one tops them all!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a pleasure to returnHomercanttalkDined on 8/29/2014It is always fun to return to the Gandy Dancer. The train came through during dinner and they rang the bell just like in the old days. Escargot is still good.
- Never DisappointsOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/28/2014I have been bringing guests to The Gandy Dancer for many years, for lunch, dinner and to enjoy the piano bar. It is always superior with regard to the menu, bar, service, ambiance. Ann Arbor is my home town, so it's extra special for this transplanted Californian to return here year after year and always find the same level of excellence. Being set in an actual train depot is part of the charm. People never fail to be delighted with my choice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gandy Dancer special dinnerambience100Dined on 8/27/2014We had a wonderful experience dining at the Gandy Dancer; our waiter was superb, our food was great, and to help make the experience even better, we were seated by the window so we saw the train pull into the station. This is one of the best places for a true 'dining' experience in Ann Arbor.Special Features:
- Wonderful experiencemarilynDined on 8/23/2014Our evening at Gandy Dancer was perfect- the food, atmosphere, and our waitstaff couldn't have been nicer. we even had a terrific table by the window.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for a special occationChickieDined on 8/23/2014The food here is excellent and the service is very attentive. It is somewhat expensive, so this would not be a restaurant that you would go to on a regular basis but which is great for a special day.Special Features:
- Delicious seafoodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/21/2014I hadn't realized that the Gandy Dancer specialized in seafood. I had the scallops, and they were the best I've ever had! Delicious!Special Features:
- 3rd time, last timechasVIPDined on 8/21/2014This is the third time we have dined here and most likely will not be back. I said the food was fair only because my wife enjoyed hers or I would have put poor. We were there for our 39 anniversary. They had nice menus printed up just for us. My wife ordered lobster and I ordered wild caught cedar p. salmon. I chose it over the prime rib. When it was served the fish was spoiled!! (sour) When I told the waiter he just said "would you like the prime rib" No real concern! So I had no food while my wife ate hers. The prime rib was fair. Later the manager came by to check on our dining experience and she did not even know about the bad fish. this is a high priced place and this should have not happened. Cannot believe not more doneSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gandy Dancercook4meDined on 8/20/2014Very Good Service and Very Good Food. We had a nice little private room for the special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Service & FoodmYSTDined on 8/20/2014From the moment we walked in the door we were impressed. The atmosphere was perfect, the food was delicious, and our server (Patty) was amazing.Special Features:
- HungrymanDined on 8/18/2014Crab cakes and crab stuffed shrimp had too much breading. Food was not well seasoned. Rice was bland. Wine overpriced.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anonymous17Jan2014Anonymous17Jan2014VIPDined on 8/18/2014Ate at the Gandy Dancer for their early dinner option (perhaps called sunset dining), during time period 3:30 to 5:30 pm. Very few customers due to early time and weather conditions. The Amtrak train adds to the pleasant ambiance. The Gandy Dancer bread, pate, and butter were good as usual. The Martha’s Vineyard Salad was superb taste as usual. The Shrimp and Artichoke Pasta was pleasingly flavorful. The Raspberry Sorbet dessert was surprisingly smooth (not icy) with rich delicious taste. The server was good and attentive, with useful informed suggestions (raspberry sorbet). An excellent dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Elegance on the SurfaceHighSocietyDined on 8/17/2014The Gandy Dancer has an elegant atmosphere both inside and out. However, the service was less than par, especially for such a classy place. First it took forever for the waitress to even come to our table, let alone order drinks or an appetizer. However, the manager did end up apologizing and giving us a free appetizer. After that minor situation the rest of the evening went smoothly. The food was good, although not up to my expectations for such a talked up place. However, the drink list looked amazing, though the party I was with did not try any. In particular I would love to return and try some of the after dinner coffees. Overall a fun experience and great atmosphere, though I would recommend drinks over dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The foodDineoutoftenDined on 8/17/2014The brunch was good except for the bacon which was very under cooked and the eggs were not warm.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 20th Anniversary DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/16/2014Dinner was absolutely fantastic. Jeffery, our server, was the perfect host. Telling us about everything on the menu. When we told him we were there celebrating our 20th anniversary, he went out of his way to make our dining experience extra special. Aaron and Jill, at the bar, were very attentive also. We were treated outstandingly by all at the Gandy Dancer. We will be returning soon.Special Features:
- Service was not exceptionalJudyDined on 8/15/2014The appetizers, entrees, and desserts we ordered were excellent, as always. We were just a little disappointed in the level of service on this visit. We'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Weak reservations serviceDuckDined on 8/15/2014Had the best time-love GD. The only problem is when I made my reservations- on the open table form there was a spot they asked for my phone number and dining preferences/requests. I had asked for outside/gardin seating. When I got there I told the Hosteseses my name an that I had made a on line reservation with open table for outside/garden seating. I was told that seating was first come first serve. Why was I asked to leave my phone number? I would have appreciated a call to let me know about the situation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointed and will avoidOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/10/2014We had been here for some years for special occasions but will not be returning! They gave a terrible seat for us then our server was extremely rude. Steaks were good quality, cedar plank salmon okay and Bouillabaisse just barely. Kids menu (looked like something from a fast-food joint). I felt terrible about making my family stay and eat there with several flies buzzing above our heads (deeply indoors). We had loved the old train station ambience previously and knew the menu was very standard fare. Let me say I tipped the lowest in my life! Basically paid him for dumping plates on us. 15 min. to give me a spoon to eat my Bouillabaisse! We were one bread plate short. Inattentive and his rudeness ruined our evening out.
- Good food with equal serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/10/2014It is not elaborate buffet but adequate. I have to say that I was a bit disappointed at first because I was expecting a larger one but they had everything you could want and I was glad that henceforth I did not overeat!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Birthday DinnerFpembe01Dined on 8/7/2014Staff went out of their way to make this a very special dinner for my wife's birthday.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service....food was notFireman48430Dined on 8/6/2014My wife and I were celebrating our anniversary with friends (who were married the same year). It was their first time to the Gandy Dancer. The service was excellent. Sarah, our waitress, was outstanding. The food was not as good as it has been in the past. Three off us ordered the filet and the cut we were served looked more like skirt steak. My wife ordered the lobster and it was over cooked. Desserts were great. Having come to the Gandy Dancer a number of times in the past, the food was not what we expected. Our friends were less than impressed with the food. However, as I said, our server was fun and overall we enjoyed ourselves. My hope is that whatever was going on in the kitchen that night was an anomaly.Special Features:
- Great ExperienceAudreyDined on 8/6/2014Grandy Dancer was an excellent experience for me and my three daughters. We made it an adventure by travelling there by Amtrak. The weather was beautiful, so we ate our meals outdoors. The waitstaff was was great and I truly enjoyed my meal. Thanks Grandy Dancer. I hope to see you again soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A couple misses at lunch.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/6/2014The coconut shrimp needed more coconut. I was told the vegetable was broccolini. I received undercooked cauliflower instead. I chose not to use valet parking. When I returned to the parking lot to leave, cars had been parked very close to mine on both sides, making it very difficult to get in. Extremely petty maneuver. Valet parking should be optional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anonymous17Jan2014Anonymous17Jan2014VIPDined on 8/4/2014Ate one of the Early Bird Specials (Gandy Dancer uses a name other than early bird (perhaps sunset dining)), during time period 3:30 to 5:30 pm. The Gandy Dancer bread, pate, and butter were good as usual. The Martha’s Vineyard Salad was superb taste as usual. The Potato Encrusted Whitefish was prepared with good appearance presentation and delicious quality seasoning for superb flavor. The Vanilla Bean ice cream with chocolate sauce dessert was delicious. The server was good and attentive. An excellent dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great PlacebuddyDined on 8/4/2014A super place for a special occasion. We will definitely return, Lord willing.Special Features: