401 Depot Street
Ann Arbor, MI 48104Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.muer.com/
- Phone: 7347690592
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 3:30pm
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 3:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday: 3:30pm - 11:00pm, Saturday: 4:30pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 3:30pm - 9:00pm
Sunday Brunch: 10:00am - 2:00pm
Early Bird: Monday - Friday: 3:30pm - 5:30pm, Sunday: 3:30pm - 4:30pm
Light Fare: Sunday: 2:00pm - 3:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Mark Sanchez
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (bar only), Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: The Gandy Dancer also offers off site catering for corporate receptions, product launches & business lunches.
- Entertainment: Live Jazz Band on Sunday's from 10:00am until 2:00pm. Live Band on Wednesday's from 6:00pm until 10:0pn through end of August.
A word from Gandy Dancer
Known in railroading days as "the finest station between Buffalo and Chicago", the majestic Michigan Central Railroad Depot deserves that commendation more than ever as the Gandy Dancer now.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
Gandy Dancer - Best Restaurants in Ann Arbor ›
Gandy Dancer reviews from OpenTable diners
306 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (228)romantic (148)good for groups (100)fit for foodies (98)scenic view (98)neighborhood gem (96)great for brunch (82)notable wine list (57)great for lunch (39)great for outdoor dining (24)kid-friendly (21)hot spot (12)late-night find (10)vibrant bar scene (7)Show More
- our first anniversaryOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/28/2014My wife and I had an absolutely memorable time. Everything was perfect, from the time drove up to the valet parking, to the reception we received at the front, our table placement and menu noting our 1st Anniversary, the waitress Patty who was exceptional to the menu which was very selective and offered great choices, to the food which was superb (the best prime rib I have had in a very long time), through our dessert, the attention by the manager, the return to the valet with our car waiting for us. It was a perfect evening. Thank youSpecial Features:
- Excellent, like always!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/28/2014We had a wonderful dining experience at the Gandy Dancer this weekend. It was a special occasion so the menu prices were justifiable (it's a little pricey). As always, the food was incredible. The Dynamite Scallops are a staple appetizer for our family; we could make a meal of them! Even my sister who does not like seafood tried one and loved it. The recommended fish was fresh and the lobster was cooked to perfection. The drinks were great too. We hesitated ordering the autumn sangria in fear of it being too sweet, but it ended up being refreshing with just the right amount of sweetness. We will definitely be returning!Special Features:
- ClaustrophobiaKeithSDined on 9/27/2014We were seated in a small anteroom which I found, as the evening wore on, to be confining and uncomfortable. Restaurant was not that busy, but I understand that you sit your two-tops where you have them. Wasn't really able to enjoy the dinner. Now, the waiter was skilled, attentive, and service was excellent. Food likely was good, or better, but I was outside my comfort zone and didn't finish the entre. Room had not windows, room for one other two-top and a four-top.Special Features:
- Not disappointed!Jm48108Dined on 9/26/2014We went for our 45th Wedding Anniversary. We both just wanted an extra special meal to commemorate the occasion. We had a lovely mea. The food offered many choices, was well prepared and on the special side that we were looking for. The staff greeted us with anniversary wishes from the moment we arrived. Even our menu wished us Happy Anniversay!Special Features:
- A lovely birthday celebrationJanetDined on 9/25/2014In among my colleague Elaine's other birthday celebrations, I wanted to take this good friend out for a quiet birthday dinner where we could unwind after completing an especially busy time we'd had with a project. It was just a Wednesday night after work, but the staff made it special with Elaine's name on the top of her menu, a birthday dessert, and wonderful service that allowed us to have a leisurely time relaxing and talking. The Gandy Dancer is really a go-to place whenever you need a lovely setting, good food, attentive wait staff, and just an overall good experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MuerFanDined on 9/22/2014Love coming to this restaurant great food and service every time.Special Features:
- Good, but not impressed.IwantedtoenjoyitDined on 9/21/2014I will say that my wife and I were impressed with Gandy Dancer until we sat down. The hostess mentioned that the third and fourth set of dishes would be removed after our server came, which never happened. As I looked down the row of tables, I saw this didn't happen at any table that I could see. Our food came quickly, but there was a serious gnat problem in that outdoor area. Many tables observed this. I will always say that I try to be as polite as possible as I know what wait staff go through on a daily basis, so I know I wasn't rude during our visit. However, I had the lemon sauce from my Whitefish poured into my lap as our Waitress was sitting the plate done, even as I tried to warn her. Luckily I was able to get out of the way.Special Features:
- Always perfectFancyfreeDined on 9/20/2014I have always loved the Gandy Dancer and it has been years since I was there. We went for a birthday dinner this weekend and it was excellent, every part of it. It was relaxing and enjoyable, the salmon rockefeller was wonderful, clam chowder awesome.Special Features:
- Still great after 40 yearsMikeH15Dined on 9/20/2014We have eaten here for 40 years and it is still a great place to go. The menu updates but not too fast or too often, its just right. Quality and quantity is on the mark. Its still fub to watch the trains come and go.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reunion weekendZestructionDined on 9/19/2014Met for a reunion with college buddies and families, around 20 people. Everything was great, from our server Jenny through the food. Only small issue was the temperature at our table - too cold for most of mealSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always Good!GoBlueDined on 9/19/2014We had a group of 10 and they put us at a great table. The food and the service were excellent and the pace of the meal was very nice. We will go again!Special Features:
- Special OccasionYodelDined on 9/19/2014This is a special occasion restaurant. The food is delicious and the service a great. We always go on University of Michigan's Parent's weekend with our son. It doesn't disappoint.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PretentiousFlyingSuzVIPDined on 9/19/2014We ordered and tasted a variety of fish dishes. Each was served with sauces that tasted like store bought salad mayo or dressing. The salmon was over cooked. Nothing good to say here. Our view was dirt and railroad tracks--pretty ugly. The service was rushed.
- Great Building!!specialoccasionDined on 9/19/2014Our last visit to The Gandy Dancer was really average. We went to Celebrate a 25th Wedding Anniversary. The menu was clever, with the names and Happy 25th across the top. The Brie was excellent. The Shrimp Cocktail was chewy and watery, with a very strong taste of fish. The Fillet was excellent, and came with 2 stalks of Asparagus. The Whitefish had no flavor at all, even though it was encrusted. Our server was nice enough, the service was slow. One person in our party had to keep moving because he was seated in a heavily used aisle area. The building is beautiful!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/18/2014Many excellent restaurants in Ann Arbor. This one tops the list so far.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceMsDavisfinedinningDined on 9/17/2014I went to the Gandy Dancer for my bithday and loved my dinning experience. The service was great, food was good although it was a little cool. The wine was great. I will definitely return soon. Loved it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dining experience!CarolDined on 9/16/2014The best Gazpacho I've ever had! Service was excellent. There were six of us dining and we all ordered a different fish entrée. We all commented how delicious it was. Staff is very friendly and accommodating. I would highly recommend dining there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome!nopeDined on 9/16/2014Definetely recommend anyone who would like to enjoy the outstanding food in AA.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/15/2014We were at a long table, trying to share information, and the music really had a negative impact on our hearing each other. The waitresses were grand, however.Special Features:
- Ann Arbor ClassicBrightonFoodLoverDined on 9/14/2014I enjoyed going to the Gandy Dancer as a UM student 35+ years ago (when my parents would come up and pay for dinner!), and it's still a great place to go. I love the train station ambience, and the food and service are top notch.Special Features:
- wonderful anniversary experiencemdiroyDined on 9/12/2014We celebrated our 32nd anniversary at the Gandy Dancer. The service was was excellent thanks to the incredible staff. The food was incredibly delicious. Need I say more?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A special placeLuLuDined on 9/12/2014The old depot made for a wonderful atmosphere! Our waiter, John, was most excellent! We enjoyed our evening, but I must say that I think the menu is overpriced.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- cookinbobDined on 9/12/2014My Wife's birthday dinner was surf and turf, The lobster was extremely salty and my wife like salted foods. My prime rib was very tough. Everyone else's dinner were great.Special Features:
- Annual treatyogaleighDined on 9/11/2014We visit my hometown, Flint, every year and Ann Arbor is always on the itinerary. That day always includes lunch at Gandy Dancer. We enjoy the trains, the pretty view, the great food, the lovely interior and the excellent wait staff. When I was a teen my parents sometimes met friends for New Year's Eve there and always loved it but for me it was just a name until these visits. Now it's high on the list of things I look forward to on this trip. If you get a chance (right season) to try the watermelon salad, have it! And save room for dessert! This year we happened to go on my mother's 89th birthday. They had a special menu for her that said happy birthday & a free dessert. Our waiter was especially personable and attentive.Special Features:
- First experiencenoviceDined on 9/9/2014Excellent food and service. Prime rib superb. Scallop and crab appetizer outstanding. Valet parkingSpecial Features:
- Gandy Dancer2fordinnerDined on 9/8/2014Quaint Ann Arbor location with old train station ambience and a great window view of parkland/nature. A raccoon, Canada geese, and one fast train went by outside. Seafood preparation and presentation were great, with many other good choices available for non-fish eaters and vegetarians. Desserts and specialty drinks were unique, while wine/liquor selections were many. Our server was also personable, knowledgeable, and attentive to all needs. Extra bonuses are the next-door working Amtrak and the walking proximity to Kerrytown and downtown Ann Arbor. For those with time available, it's a perfect ending for a relaxing train-trip visit to the city.Special Features:
- DisappointedBirthdaygirlDined on 9/7/2014I was very disappointed with my appetizer and entree. My crab CAKE was brought to me on a warm plate but, the food itself was cold. After sending it back it returned to me on a hot plate but once reaching the middle of the crab mixture it remained cold! Moving on to my entrée. The grilled salmon was very dry and over cooked!! I didn't send this back. I didn't want to make a seen at my own birthday dinner in front of my 11 guests. I usually dine at the chop house or real seafood for my birthday dinner/discount. I wish I would've this year!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ArchitecturePatrickDined on 9/5/2014Part of the lure for me is the architecture of the restaurant. The old trim and wood, open air of the high ceilings. I enjoy feeling like I am back in time to an era when things were built with strength and pride. It is a beautiful building and when you combine that with the food it is an experience second to none.Special Features:
- One of our favorites!NickDined on 9/5/2014One of our favorite restaurants for almost 45 years. We first began eating here in the early 1970s and have continued to eat here...especially for special occasions. The food and service is always excellent. The wine list is one of the area's best. We have eaten at many of the world's top restaurants both in the U.S. and in Europe. The Gandy is our "home" restaurant. It must be. Of all the restaurants we've eaten in, The Gandy is the one we've eaten in the most times.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceptional, As usualDickFDined on 9/5/2014Dinner with friends, superb dining, and the train was on time.Special Features:
- Great experiencecbs3153Dined on 9/3/2014Everything was wonderful. From appetizers, to salads, to entrees, to desserts every one of our party of seven was delighted with our experience. Our server was top notch, as well.Special Features:
- Gandy Dancer, Ann ArborjensDined on 8/31/2014Delicious food, attentive & courteous service, & interesting atmosphere brings us back to this very nice restaurant.Special Features:
- Nice AmbianceFashionista365VIPDined on 8/30/2014Great find - very sophisticated and charming setting. Extensive menu options to satisfy everyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best dinner ever!DineaholicDined on 8/30/2014I've eaten in some of the most luxurious restaurants in the country and I must say this one tops them all!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a pleasure to returnHomercanttalkDined on 8/29/2014It is always fun to return to the Gandy Dancer. The train came through during dinner and they rang the bell just like in the old days. Escargot is still good.
- Never DisappointsAkomakDined on 8/28/2014I have been bringing guests to The Gandy Dancer for many years, for lunch, dinner and to enjoy the piano bar. It is always superior with regard to the menu, bar, service, ambiance. Ann Arbor is my home town, so it's extra special for this transplanted Californian to return here year after year and always find the same level of excellence. Being set in an actual train depot is part of the charm. People never fail to be delighted with my choice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gandy Dancer special dinnerambience100Dined on 8/27/2014We had a wonderful experience dining at the Gandy Dancer; our waiter was superb, our food was great, and to help make the experience even better, we were seated by the window so we saw the train pull into the station. This is one of the best places for a true 'dining' experience in Ann Arbor.Special Features:
- Wonderful experiencemarilynDined on 8/23/2014Our evening at Gandy Dancer was perfect- the food, atmosphere, and our waitstaff couldn't have been nicer. we even had a terrific table by the window.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for a special occationChickieDined on 8/23/2014The food here is excellent and the service is very attentive. It is somewhat expensive, so this would not be a restaurant that you would go to on a regular basis but which is great for a special day.Special Features:
- Delicious seafoodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/21/2014I hadn't realized that the Gandy Dancer specialized in seafood. I had the scallops, and they were the best I've ever had! Delicious!Special Features: